Monorail Info

daniel0581

Original Poster
I have a few questions that I hope a current or recently left cast member can tell me. First off let me tell you that I am wanting to be a monorail driver and love Walt Disney World. I was wondering a few things. First being can someone name all of the hold points on the beam. Also I'm sure that everyone is tired of hearing about the monorail crash ,but, I would like to know if anyone can tell me what the full end report of the NTSB and OSHA said. And lastly I would like to hear from a current CM that is a monorail pilot and that question is can you still ride in the front cab of the train.

Thank you in advanced for everthing :)

daniel0581

Original Poster
Yea thats what I had heard but I didn't know if that rule was still intact or if it had been lifted. Do you think people will ever be able to ride up there again?

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
OSHA has just cited Walt Disney World for harboring an unsafe work environment that led to the fatal Monorail crash on July 5. OSHA's ensuing investigation then revealed additional safety violations.

"Citation 1 Item 1 is directly related to the collision," said OSHA regional director Michael Wald. "The other violations were discovered during the investigation following the collision, but are not directly related to it."

OSHA recommended five steps to correct the hazardous conditions:

(1) Ensure an observer is always present, preferably in the back of the train, when running a Monorail in reverse.

(2) Always use the Monorail's positive train control system, without having to bypass the manufacturer's installed anti-collision system.

(3) Provide a written program of instruction, training and examination for the switch operator in Shop.

(4) Always position a coordinator in the central control tower directing, controlling and monitoring Monorail operations.

(5) Maintain clear and unobstructed visibility on all Monorail windshields.

Here's the complete press release:

US Department of Labor’s OSHA cites Walt Disney World following monorail collision and issues recommendation letter following actor’s death

ORLANDO, Fla. – The U.S. Department of Labor’s Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) has cited Walt Disney World for safety violations following the fatality of a monorail driver in July and issued a recommendation letter concerning the death of an actor during a stage production at the theme park in August.

In early July, one worker was killed when two monorail trains collided while switching tracks. One was holding while another was being removed from the loop and transferred to the express loop where it would travel to the maintenance shop. The command was given for the switching operation to move one train to the express loop, but switch beams eight and nine were not locked into position or energized. When one train traveled in reverse it remained on the loop and struck the other train, fatally injuring the operator.

Walt Disney World is being cited with a serious violation for not providing a place of employment free from recognized hazards that could cause death or serious harm by exposing employees to struck-by collision hazards.

During the monorail investigation, inspectors observed three violations unrelated to the fatality. Two repeat violations are being cited for exposing employees to fall hazards without fall protection and not providing educational training for monorail employees in the use of a portable fire extinguisher. A serious violation was found as well in which a drill press did not have a guard installed.

Additionally, on Aug. 8, an actor was fatally injured from injuries sustained during the Pirates of the Caribbean tutorial stage show when he hit a concrete wall on a new stage, which had opened in July. While no OSHA violations are being proposed for the incident, the agency is recommending that employees rehearse on new stages before their first live performance.

“With the monorail, Disney should have put procedures in place that would have prevented the fatal crash from occurring,” said OSHA Assistant Secretary Dr. David Michaels. “Employers need to take effective and ongoing corrective action to protect the health and safety of their workers. In the case of the actor’s death, OSHA feels that greater familiarity with the new stage might have changed the outcome.”

OSHA has proposed a total of $44,000 in penalties against the company for the monorail incident, including a penalty of $7,000 for the serious violation related to the fatality, the maximum amount allowed for a serious citation.

The company has 15 business days from receipt of the citations to comply, ask for an informal meeting with OSHA’s area director or indicate that it plans to contest the citations and proposed penalties before the independent Occupational Safety and Health Review Commission. The site was inspected by staff from OSHA’s Tampa Area Office, 5807 Breckenridge Parkway, Suite A; telephone 813-626-1177.

Under the Occupational Safety and Health Act of 1970, OSHA’s role is to promote safe and healthful working conditions for America’s working men and women by setting and enforcing standards, and providing training, outreach and education. For more information, visit http://www.osha.gov.

http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/blog.php?b=594

daniel0581

Original Poster
Is the Positive Train Control System something like MAPO or MBS. I also ment to ask when becoming a monorail driver do you have to get on top of the train or climb on the beams in the case of a power outage or line failure. and does any one know what the hold points are.

daniel0581

Original Poster
Thanks for the info. I have read some places that Monorail central workers have to be able to help people with emergency evac and I thought I wouldn't want to have to do that lol. Also in the report posted above it says
Two repeat violations are being cited for exposing employees to fall hazards without fall protection and not providing educational training for monorail employees in the use of a portable fire extinguisher.
Just currious on everyone's take

Thanks

Rob562

I believe the fall hazards have to do with maintenance workers in the monorail shop. Most likely they weren't using fall-arrest gear in a place where they should have been.

As for climbing onto the roof of the train and/or walking along the beam, those would only ever be used in utterly extreme cases where there is a *major* fire on the train and it had to be entirely evacuated immediately, before rescue crews arrived.

If there were a small fire contained within one car (the carpet catching on fire or something like that) I believe the procedure would be to walk the roof to relocate the Guests from that car into adjacent cars. In all but the most extreme cases, the firewalls between cars would be enough to contain the small fire and keep Guests in other cars safe until emergency personnel could arrive and assist.

I don't know the procedure, but I think that in most cases of an on-board fire, the proper thing is to continue driving to the closest station (if the train can still move) to evac the Guests there.

During a power failure or other breakdown, you'd simply wait in the train for the maintenance crew to arrive on one of the diesel-powered tractors.

Now, I don't know if they actually physically TRAIN the pilots to enter and exit through the roof hatches and walk along the top of the train (like they do with flight attendants and the escape slides, etc), but I'm sure that it's something that pilots have to agree that they will do in case of an emergency. (Like sitting in the emergency exit row on a plane, if it's a duty you're unwilling or unable to perform, ask to be re-assigned)

-Rob

daniel0581

Original Poster
Awesome, thats good to know. I would like to hear from a current or former pilot as to if you are actually trained on climbing on the roof in case ef emg.

Monorail Lime

First being can someone name all of the hold points on the beam.
I'm sort of surprised that I can't find this on Google. Maybe I'm not Googling well today.

Interior (Express)

10, 17, 26, 34, 45, 53, 66, 73, Kingdom , 91, 99, 108, 116, 125 ,135, 145, 155, TTC

Lagoon (Resort)

152, 145, Poly, 129, 120, Floridian, 103, 95, 86, Kingdom, 68, 55, 45, Contemporary, 24, 15, 6, TTC

Epcot

5, 14, 25, 35, 45, 55, 65, 75, 85, 95, 105, 115, 125, 135, 145, 155, 165, 175, 185, 195, 204, 210, Epcot, 225, 235, 245, 255, 265, 274, 285, 294, 305, 315, 325, 335, 345, 355, 365, 372, 379, 385, TTC

It's been almost a decade since I've sat in the pilot's chair but I can still recite these in my sleep. :D

Monorail Lime

Awesome, thats good to know. I would like to hear from a current or former pilot as to if you are actually trained on climbing on the roof in case ef emg.
Pilots are trained on the general sequence of events in various emergency scenarios and how to use the tools available to them. As for actually practicing going on the roof or repelling down the nose... no way, far too dangerous.

From the FAQ...
The truth? You're supposed to take a rope from the cabinet
under the driver's seat, attatch it to a clip on top of the train
near the nose. Repel down the windscreen to the beamway. Attatch
the other end of the rope to a clip near the headlight. The
passengers are supposed to follow you down the windshield and walk
down the beam to a station.

They don't figure you'll be wanting to save any handicapped
guests, I guess. In fact, for $5.25 an hour, most pilots
probably wouldn't get out on the roof anyway and have said so. I
would because I'm me, not because of any S.O.P.. The whole thing
is nuts considering that a full car's load of people couldn't get
on the roof all at once anyway (not enough space/handholds).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom