Monorail Closure :(

Apot2788

Original Poster
I would like to know if this articles is true and until when are the monorails down for rehab?

Disney's Monorail temporarily down for rehab
By A. Foell | Sentienel Staff Writer
Posted March 23, 2002

For the first time since the opening of the WDW resort the monorail will be
closed for a major rehab.

The rehab, mandated by the department of health last year, is the first of
its kind in Florida.
The closing for a period of two months will be necessary to rebuild the
monorails power system in order to reduce the energy radiation to 50% of
what it is today.

"Whether we can provide enough buses should be very important to everybody
in Florida," said a Disney spokesman.
Only one track will be available for hotelguests during peak hours. Also
visitors will have the opportunity to buy a Monorail pass for an aditional
8$ to avoid long lines at the Transportation and Ticket Center.

Lawmakers this spring appear ready to send the health department even more
help. The state Senate this week passed the Power Shortage Solution Act,
which would put limits on the number of trains Disney can use for their
Monorail system.

Still, Disney hopes to start work soon drawing up plans for an expansion of
the monorail system.

One thing Disney hopes to do is make it easier for their guest to travel on
property, keeping the safety and health of the guests in mind all time.
One of the main goals of the rehab will be the 50% reduce of energy
radiation, but reducing the monorails speed is necessary to achieve that.
Some monorail drivers leave the profession, Disney said, because they don't
know how to go about driving at half speed, Disney said.

The rehab could take months, but the state Transportation Commission has
said it will step in, if necessary, to make sure there's not a break in
service for the thousands who rely on it.

On April 1, it is scheduled to roll out the biggest rehab ever: Closing the
monorail system and adding hundreds of buses. Today, Disney will hold a
forum where it planned on outlining all the changes for guests. Instead it
will likely spend time trying to explain what the rehab means.

Adding hundreds of buses could cost Disney $2.2 million a month. That money
is was part of the company's general budget.
If that money disappeared, the company would likely turn to local officials
to make up the difference or it would consider scaling back service.

Copyright © 2002 Orlando Sentienel

njchris65

I thought this was up here already (or somewhere else).. look who it is by.. A Foel... a FOOL.... And it starts April 1...

April fools joke...

J. Thornhill

Yes. This falsehood was posted on the radp (rec.arts.disney.parks) newsgroup several days ago. The poster was subsequently browbeaten for not showing the minimal retraint required to wait until April 1. Besides, it's not even funny. :(

Jonathan

Goofster

:hammer: is right!!!!

Wow, they really had me going!!
And they just had to throw in the stuff about a monorail expansion to get me all excited.

Disney Maniac

Even though I doubt that anything like that would ever happen, I'll admit that it got me quite a little bit worried. I mean, it would be complete mayhem and anarchy! Thousands of monorailers standing around waiting for the buses! Hundres of additional rental cars taking up valuable spaces! Cabbies having field days! Actually, it would probably look like Tokyo during rush hour; waaay too many people in waaay to small buses or cars. Not to mention the poor CMs who work the monorail line...what would they do for those two months? Put on retainer or what?

Anyway, hypothetically speaking, if this were to actually happen, (which it won't, since it would be more economically feasible and practical to just purchase new model monorails and phase them in) they wouldn't shut everything down at once. My guess is that Disney would treat it like a repainting job or a maintenance check; they would only upgrade one or two at a time over the course of those two months. I hope Fantasia Boi can clarify things here and correct me where I'm wrong.

monorail256

i read it... and decided not to post anything cus I didnt want to start anything about transportation (little fights over whats better or what could be better...). i never really belived that they would shut down the monorail.. could you imagine thousands of people riding the ferry.. it could be possible.. but it would take the magic away, and tyler would have posted something about it!!

robbyk

I think the tip off should have been "the health department" . Unless the Monorails start serving food I don't think they care too much about the monorails. It was moderatly amusing. Think about the log jam of busses that would have been. :brick:

Invero

Oh my lord... lol...

Actually, there was a time back in '89 I think when the Monorails did go down... Monorail Pilots were cross trained on Parking Trams, and used them to take guests to and from the Magic Kingdom. This was when we were in the process of getting the new Mark VI trains, and had to do construction on the Contemporary air doors. In addition, we also had to change the level of our platforms, but I beleive that was done while the trains were still in service.

TinkerBell9988

What..?

:hammer: I agree... I thought you meant that they were closing it for good! Phew... Still, the rehab idea will take a long time. :veryconfu:

scotty_l

Originally posted by Fantasia Boi
Oh my lord... lol...

Actually, there was a time back in '89 I think when the Monorails did go down... Monorail Pilots were cross trained on Parking Trams, and used them to take guests to and from the Magic Kingdom. This was when we were in the process of getting the new Mark VI trains, and had to do construction on the Contemporary air doors. In addition, we also had to change the level of our platforms, but I beleive that was done while the trains were still in service.

That's true... We were trained on 5 and 7 car parking tram...however we used to operate these even before we went down in 1988..... There was not a bus turnaround and the only way we could handle the amount of guests was to transport them via trams (FYI the 5 car trams were used at Fort Wilderness pre bus expansion) It was fun to drive these especially the 7 car trams... We could only load 5 cars due to the hill by the water bridge..You really felt like Casey Jr....

Funny thing we never would have a person on the back spieling. The operator would jump on right before we made the turn to unload at either ttc or MK.

Another fact... The reason why the bus turnaround is such at ttc is that it was for parking trams and not buses...

Rider

Originally posted by Apot2788

One thing Disney hopes to do is make it easier for their guest to travel on
property, keeping the safety and health of the guests in mind all time.
One of the main goals of the rehab will be the 50% reduce of energy
radiation, but reducing the monorails speed is necessary to achieve that.
Some monorail drivers leave the profession, Disney said, because they don't
know how to go about driving at half speed, Disney said.

This is what tipped me off. "Disney said, because they don't
know how to go about driving at half speed, Disney said." I dont think a reporter could miss that.

I the whole "Dont know how to drive half speed" thing.

prberk

Sentienel

Not to mention the spelling of "Sentinel" in the by-line at the top!

... nor the other numerous grammatical errors!

Luau Cove

Originally posted by wdwprincess03
The monorail is my favorite ride!

You are very very right. Many people, I included, not only just use the monorail to reach the MK, but enjoy it as an introductory ride that opens the magical day.

-->Luau

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom