Moderate Hotels

TXDisney

Original Poster
I've already done POR. Didn't get to fully enjoy it bc we were so busy that trip (we got married at WDW)

BrerWayne

I have stayed at POR and CBR. Although they are probably the same size, CBR just felt so much larger to me. We really enjoyed POR, before I had kids I would stay at the deluxe resorts. Now with having to pay day care and tuition and day care it is a splurge to stay in a moderate. But I can honestly say I like POR as much as any of the deluxe resorts that I have stayed at (although the monorail is a huge plus if you can afford it). Really like that you can catch the boat to Downtown Disney at POR.

righttrack

My main beef about the moderate resorts is that they are really big and tiring to get around, especially after a long day at the parks. Choose where you stay within the resort wisely. It really depends what is most important to you. Closer to the food, closer to the bus stop, closer to the big theme pool. Those choices aren't always compatible with each other at a moderate, so prioritizing and listing a request is a good idea. The themings are immersive in all of them, so that isn't much of an issue, just picking the theme you like best.

I've heard a lot of positive and negative about The Pepper Market in Coronado Springs. We liked it but some people seem to complain about the fact that you have to tip in a quick service restaurant and food choices.

Something Circular like Coronado Springs is a contrast to something more linear like Caribbean Beach Resort and Port Orleans.

TXDisney

Original Poster
The more I look into it the more I think we might shorten our trip to 5-6 days instead of 7-8 and stay at a deluxe instead if moderate.

MorganKelly

Over the years we've stayed at all of the moderates and POFQ is our recommendation with POR right behind it. I find the small scale of the FQ to be one of its chief charms. I was disappointed when they closed Bonfamilles Cafe; it was lovely and had a great menu; I don't enjoy Boatwright's all that much. But the food courts are great, specially with picky eaters in the family. Another perk is the watercraft transport to DTD from both resorts. POR is large and can be overwhelming, but both are beautifully themed.

disney1983

We stayed at CSR for a quick two night trip. There were many conference attendees in the resort but they are busy most of the day. Many of the were complaining about the layout and how far their rooms were from the convention center. It wouldn't be my choice to host a conference. As strictly leisure travelers, my kids loved the pool and didn't mind the walk around the resort but it was only two nights so we didn't spend a lot of time there. POR would be our first choice. It's the only moderate that we visited more then once. The location is great and so are the amenities.

TXDisney

Original Poster
We stayed at the swan for our wedding planning visit. I just don't feel like I'm at a disney hotel when I'm staying there. The location no doubt is good, but still wanna do a disney hotel to get all the perks.

Dog Ate Mouse

I have stayed at all the moderates and always find myself coming back to POR (Dixie Landings). This resort is beautiful, nice restaurant, good Food Court, Nice little bar with entertainment, good gift shop. One of the features we have loved so much is the quiet pools. Then add in boat rentals, Bass fishing trip, Cane pole fishing and bike rentals. Plenty of easy to get to laundry facilities and love the water taxi to DTD.
We always stay in the mansions and just simply love it. I feel the transportation is good and if you bring your dog along to be kenneled, Best Friends is right around the corner. I also get into the mood during our stays to go and play in the big sized arcade they have. My wife laugh's at me but always is up for a challenge in Air Hockey and the hockey game with the guys on the rods you move around. Then a few games of pinball and your good to go. We love the walks at night around the property and love that we can try POFQ for a change up in breakfast when we want to eat at the food courts. This is just a very relaxing peaceful resort that is very pleasant on the eye. The staff has been great and responsive to issue or problems that might have arisen.
I have not commented on the other resorts because a lot of people are. I am just telling you about our most favorite of all.

popcenturylover

I have only stayed at one moderate: CBR and we LOVED it!!! Busing was good, rooms were clean & quiet, grounds are very pretty, & the pools are really cool!

gooftroop5

I've stayed at POR and CSR. POR was with family. CRS was for a business meeting. If we can't stay at a deluxe I would definitely choose POR. They are both spread out, but POR was not nearly as bad as CSR. We loved the atmosphere of POR as well.

Ben_since_1971

What about CBR?

CBR pros: Theming is fantastic. The grounds and landscaping are beautiful. Every village has its own beach and pool so you can have a nice quiet area if you want to stay away from the main (and sometimes crowded) areas. Carribean Cay (island in the middle) also has some nice secluded spots. Buildings are two stories and built such that you can feel some sense of seclusion and privacy. Food court is quite adequate.

I will preface the cons by saying they are not cons if you know what to expect when going there. But these are the most common 'complaints' about CBR. I will also provide my comments on each con 'in defense'.

CBR cons: 1. Too big. CBR is a very large resort. It is the largest mod and indeed some of the buildings in Aruba, Barbados and Trinidad South can be quite a hike to Old Port Royale (main pool, food court, gift shop). However there is an internal resort shuttle, and if you have a car, that is not an issue. You can always request to be close to OPR. I like its largeness because it spreads everyone out. We have been there when the resort was full of Pop Warner cheerleaders, and outside of expected crowds at the food court and main pool, you didn't feel like everyone was on top of everyone in the room areas.

2. Bus system is too big/too many bus stops/buses take too long. There are 7 stops within the resort (6 villages and OPR. The internal makes 8 - those 7 plus the Custom House). So it probably does take longer than if you were at another resort with only 1 or 2 stops. However - it only adds maybe 5-10 minutes to your commute time to the parks. I just returned from 11 nights and the longest I had to wait for any bus to go anywhere was 15 minutes. This is one area where YMMV no matter where or when you stay.

3. Restaurant is no good. Can' argue that one. Shutters is nothing to write home about. But the food court is quite adequate with it's offerings.

CBR's renovation is quite nice. I was concerned the rooms would be too dark from looking at the pictures, but I was wrong - the dark woods really make the room like more sophisticated. It's not that I hated the Nemo look, but that green they used was just :eek:. We had a king sized room, but from what I understand, all reno rooms now have queen sized beds.

Oh yeah - you can see the Illuminations fireworks every night. Pretty cool.

Hope this helps!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom