Mission:Space update (confirmed)

matt9112

Probably a dumb thought, but what if the potential Guardians attraction is taking over mission space instead of Universe of Energy. Since Mission Breakout has been such a big hit , maybe they wanted to get it in quicker without having to gut, tear down or break ground on a new show building. Like I said probably unlikely.

i wear my MGM studios tower of terror shirt "predates update" whenever i go to the world in an attempt somebody else cares =(

DreamfinderGuy

DB_l1vTUMAAvC0h.jpg

Image Credit: Showcase of Wishes on twitter.

Tom Morrow

What always bothered me about the green side is that no additional movement was programmed into the capsules to make up for the lack of spinning. So you barely felt any sensation of movement for the majority of the flight. Hopefully this is being improved.
I hope they can get the zero-g effect back. My understanding was that by angling the capsule a certain way and rotating backwards you were given a certain amount of sustained airtime. I believe this was cut do to people becoming nauseous (even more-so)
As far as I know, this was never the case, and the current effect is the same as it was in the beginning. Disney had actually over-hyped it by saying there would be "simulated zero g" and it was a letdown from the beginning.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
As far as I know, this was never the case, and the current effect is the same as it was in the beginning. Disney had actually over-hyped it by saying there would be "simulated zero g" and it was a letdown from the beginning.
If you tilt those capsules far enough back while they're spinning, riders WILL come up off the seat.

sedati

I'm not referring to something a guest ever experienced, or even from cast member previews. If at all correct, this was something abandoned in the test phase. Sorry, but I am just going off memory here- I'll see if I can find something more concrete. As it is now, the "zero-g confirmed" moment is only a brief lighter feeling due to quickly switching from 2.5 to 1 G (one I don't really even notice.)

Tom Morrow

If you tilt those capsules far enough back while they're spinning, riders WILL come up off the seat.
I know, but I was saying that it never did this. I also don't think the capsules are capable of tilting far enough to make it work.
I'm not referring to something a guest ever experienced, or even from cast member previews. If at all correct, this was something abandoned in the test phase. Sorry, but I am just going off memory here- I'll see if I can find something more concrete. As it is now, the "zero-g confirmed" moment is only a brief lighter feeling due to quickly switching from 2.5 to 1 G (one I don't really even notice.)
Oh ok. The current effect is achieved by almost completely stopping the spinning motion and slowly tilting the capsule forward, or face down.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
I know, but I was saying that it never did this. I also don't think the capsules are capable of tilting far enough to make it work..
SMH. Why would you spend so much money on an attraction and NOT design it to provide that range of motion?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
SMH. Why would you spend so much money on an attraction and NOT design it to provide that range of motion?

Because you would never rotate the centrifuges other than with people's back against the seat otherwise they're having blood rushing to their head or feet or they're being pushed forward into their monitors.

I have no facts or inside information to base this on, but I believe the 'waitlessness' is a sensory illusion that comes from the extra G suddenly going away. Like when you or someone holds your arm down to your side and you try to lift it to the point of exhaustion, then when it is let go, it 'floats' up as it it is weightless.

sedati

Because you would never rotate the centrifuges other than with people's back against the seat otherwise they're having blood rushing to their head or feet or they're being pushed forward into their monitors.

I have no facts or inside information to base this on, but I believe the 'waitlessness' is a sensory illusion that comes from the extra G suddenly going away. Like when you or someone holds your arm down to your side and you try to lift it to the point of exhaustion, then when it is let go, it 'floats' up as it it is weightless.

My understanding was roll forward (not face down, but more like 15-25 degrees) while spun backwards. This spinning would not be as fast as the launch or slingshot- you would need to generate a single G in reverse- a negative G to offset the one we naturally experience on earth. The goal isn't just to feel lighter, but that you would actually feel your weight lift off the seat- think of the airtime you get on roller coaster, but sustained for maybe ten seconds.

This is all based on fifteen year old memory whose source I can't recall, so take it with a great big grain of salt.

Either way, I hope this refurb finds ways to make this truly unique experience more accessible.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom