Mini Race Report: Cleveland FANtastic 4-miler

Ariel484

Original Poster
I have a few pictures from this race, so I thought I'd just start a little thread rather than clogging up the What Did You Do? thread...

I signed up for this race about 1.5 weeks ago after seeing it advertised at an Indians game. I swore I wouldn't do another inaugural race after a crappy inaugural 5K I did on St. Patrick's Day, but I couldn't pass this one up:
Distance/course: 4-mile run takes runners into Cleveland Browns Stadium around the football field, through Quicken Loans Area across the Cavs court and finishes at Progressive Field on the warning track.

There are a few things I think they can fix for next year...the first being that the course map wasn't posted ahead of time. It wasn't a huge deal because I essentially knew where things were based on the above description, and they did give us a copy of the map at packet pick-up...but still...

Anyhoo, I signed up ($25), grabbed my shirt and bib yesterday and was set for race day. We had rain early this morning and have a 40% chance of thunderstorms all day, so I packed a jacket and grabbed a newspaper on the way in case I needed to stick it in my shoes later to help them dry out. Thankfully, the rain held off! I parked downtown this morning at about 8AM ($5) and headed to the players parking lot at Progressive Field to get my timing chip. The team mascots were out taking pictures...just like a Disney race!

Sugardale Hot Dogs...they (along with the Ketchup dog, who wasn't out) race around Progressive Field during Indians games:

IMG_0408.JPG

A Cavs mascot...I have never been super interested in the Cavs so I'm not sure what this guy's name is:

IMG_0409.JPG

I know this guy is Moondog!

IMG_0410.jpg

By now it was time to head to the start, just outside of the players' parking lot. We passed Slider (the Indians mascot) on our way out.

IMG_0411.jpg

Race started at about 8:30. Here's something else that I hope they change in future races - there was no timing mat at the start. ARG! I hate that. I normally start somewhere in the middle/back of the pack, so there's an extra 10-15 seconds tacked on to my time. Lovely.

So yeah, we started at 8:30. Get out of the way, Slider!!

IMG_0412.JPG

We headed down E 9th toward the lake...the same way we went during the Cleveland Half, except during that race this was the way to the finish line.

IMG_0414.jpg

Our first destination...Browns Stadium!

IMG_0417.JPG

We took a left in front of the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame...

IMG_0419.JPG

...and ran past the Great Lakes Science center. Mile Marker 1 was somewhere in here, along with the only water stop...my splits are all messed up in my Garmin though. I think I did this first mile in about 9:50.

Browns Stadium is on the other side of the Science Center!

IMG_0421.JPG

Ariel484

Original Poster
To get into the stadium, we entered some sort of parking garage. I thought my Garmin was going to crap out at this point, but it actually kept working.

IMG_0422.JPG

We took a few turns around the parking area...

IMG_0423.JPG

...and headed out onto the field!

IMG_0424.JPG

IMG_0425.JPG

I think this was old news for some people...as part of Cleveland Marathon weekend there's a 5K that people can run that finishes on the field, so I heard some people saying they'd run here before. It was a first for me though...in fact, I've only been in the stadium during marathon weekend (they open the stadium so runners can use the bathrooms and hang out before the race...only the 5K finishes on the field though).

IMG_0426.JPG

Halfway...

IMG_0427.JPG

IMG_0430.JPG

And heading out.

IMG_0431.JPG

Ariel484

Original Poster
We passed mile marker 2 right when we got out of Browns Stadium (10-ish minute mile?) and went up a small hill back to the water stop we'd passed earlier. After running back past the Science Center and the Rock Hall, we were back on E 9th. I didn't notice it coming down, but E 9th is a long, gradual hill. So we'd gone down the hill earlier and now had to climb back up! o_O It wasn't super steep, but it was long - maybe about 0.25 miles? We did really luck out on the weather - the rain held off, it was overcast, and we got a nice breeze once in awhile - but man was it HUMID. We were dripping in sweat.

At some point we turned and passed Mile Marker 3 (no idea on the splits at this point, but I'm guessing it was about a 10-minute mile), and I could see the lights of Progressive Field...almost done! But first we had to go through the Q and onto the Cavs court.

We headed toward another parking garage (to the left under the "What If?" banner in the picture below) to get into the Q...they allowed strollers on the course (see guy in picture), which wasn't a huge deal, but I thought it was sort of questionable since we went into and out of tunnels/garages a lot and our paths were narrow at points.

IMG_0432.JPG

Into another parking area (this one was HOT):

IMG_0433.jpg

I assumed this was where my Garmin was completely going to crap out, and I was right. Oh well.

Going onto the "court" was anticlimactic. The court itself was gone (which makes sense) and so were the hoops...so it was basically a building with a lot of seats, a giant screen and some jerseys (no signs that LBJ ever played there though!):

IMG_0434.JPG

It was still neat though. We ran along the one side of the barricades and turned around to run out.

IMG_0437.JPG

IMG_0438.JPG

We were dumped back out into the same parking garage and weaved through for about a minute. It was really starting to warm up at this point...but then I realized that this garage was attached to Progressive Field! Almost done!

IMG_0439.JPG

Ariel484

Original Poster
Of our 3 teams, I definitely follow the Indians the most, so this was exciting! We basically just ran around the warning track to the finish line.

IMG_0442.JPG

The view from center field:

IMG_0443.JPG

IMG_0444.JPG

When I made the turn around home plate, I could see the finish and I think the clock said 39:33 or something, so I picked up the pace to try to finish in under 40 minutes! We passed a camera from our local sports channel, and the guy in front of me decided he wanted to be on TV and made a motion like he was swinging a bat...he ended up elbowing me in the chest. So that was awesome. :confused:

I'm not sure of my official finish time quite yet. My Garmin was too messed up...but I honestly think I either finished in 39:59 or, like, 40:01. We'll see!

Right after crossing the finish. Ooh, I just noticed the jumbo-tron was on...I wonder if I was on it?!

IMG_0445.JPG

The finish area was a giant cluster----. This is something else I think they can fix in the future - there was only one way to get up to where we were supposed to exit (near the Toyota sign in the above picture), but there was also a race official down near the finish collecting the timing chips. I think they should have had us make our way up BEFORE collecting the chips...but whatever.

Done, and looking horrible!

IMG_0447.jpg

I felt okay...just hot and drenched in sweat. SO glad it didn't rain though!

Eventually I hopped over a fence to make my way up the stairs. There was a family walk around the warning track after the race, so once I got off the field it was really easy to get out since I wasn't staying.

The field!

IMG_0448.JPG

Runners trying to get off the field:

IMG_0449.JPG

The finish!

IMG_0451.JPG

Overall I thought that, for an inaugural race, this was a pretty good one! I'd do it again.

Thanks for letting me blab on, everyone! Enjoy your Sunday! :)

fmingo36

What a cool idea for a race!
I love the picture of the Rock & Roll HoF. I was out there 6 years ago and loved it!

Congrats on your race!

Mad Stitch

Thanks for posting this Ariel. I saw it advertised at an Indians game also and was going to do it, but decided to stick to my own training runs for the Disneyland half. I didn't want to tack on extra miles before or after this race. Now I will know what to expect if I do it next year.

The Turkey Trot runs up that hill on E. 9th also. It can really mess with your mind when you see that long incline coming. I'm surprised they used timing chips, they should probably consider using b-tags next year so that they don't need to collect them. What did the shirts look like? Good job in the race.

imagination30

cool shannon .. and im with you.. they should have left the cavs court down .. but seeing the nba season ended weeks ago.. they must have decided to take it up!... but very kewl.. none the less.. what was your time?

a2grafix

Ariel, from a former Clevelander to another, what a cool race to do! Must have missed the flyer about then FANtastic 4-miler. I attended an Indians game July 3. But I ran a 5K instead near Bowling Green State University on the other side of the state Saturday morning.

I will definitely keep this race on the calendar for 2013.

Amazing and kudos to you for keeping a steady camera / cellphone and taking as many snaps possible on the course. Impressed.

I remember running a 5K a long time ago at the old Cleveland Municipal Stadium (early 1980s), and getting to run around the warning track, past the old Dawg Pound, and finishing up right after home plate.

Ariel484

Original Poster
What a cool idea for a race!
I love the picture of the Rock & Roll HoF. I was out there 6 years ago and loved it!

Congrats on your race!

Now I feel ashamed...I live right by Cleveland have never been to the Rock Hall. :oops: Oops!

Thanks for posting this Ariel. I saw it advertised at an Indians game also and was going to do it, but decided to stick to my own training runs for the Disneyland half. I didn't want to tack on extra miles before or after this race. Now I will know what to expect if I do it next year.

The Turkey Trot runs up that hill on E. 9th also. It can really mess with your mind when you see that long incline coming. I'm surprised they used timing chips, they should probably consider using b-tags next year so that they don't need to collect them. What did the shirts look like? Good job in the race.

I hope they do the race again next year...it seemed to have a great turnout. I haven't done the Turkey Trot, I always want to but each year we end up at my in-laws' in Columbus on Turkey Day, so I may never get to do that one.

Yeah, I was surprised that they used the chips o_O ...every other race I have done lately has used b-tags. Weird. I will post a picture of the shirt sometime this evening or tomorrow.

ETA: Here's the front of the shirt:

IMG_0452.jpg

Here's the back of the shirt:

IMG_0453.JPG

They are cotton, unisex shirts...not the best shirt I've gotten from a race, but not the worst either.

cool shannon .. and im with you.. they should have left the cavs court down .. but seeing the nba season ended weeks ago.. they must have decided to take it up!... but very kewl.. none the less.. what was your time?

Yep...plus Cirque du Soleil is in town this week and is going to use the Q! (I know this since we are going on Wednesday.) :D They probably need stuff out of the way for other concerts too. That and I guess they probably didn't want us messing up the actual basketball court.

Not sure of my time...not posted yet :(
ETA: Official times were posted...mine was 39:58! Not bad for a race where I took 40 photos. :D

Ariel, from a former Clevelander to another, what a cool race to do! Must have missed the flyer about then FANtastic 4-miler. I attended an Indians game July 3. But I ran a 5K instead near Bowling Green State University on the other side of the state Saturday morning.

I will definitely keep this race on the calendar for 2013.

Amazing and kudos to you for keeping a steady camera / cellphone and taking as many snaps possible on the course. Impressed.

I remember running a 5K a long time ago at the old Cleveland Municipal Stadium (early 1980s), and getting to run around the warning track, past the old Dawg Pound, and finishing up right after home plate.

You know, I'm not sure how much this race was advertised. I just saw the ad at the Tibe game on 7/5 and heard about it from a co-worker. Good job on your 5K! 28:11 is a great time.

I was one of the only runners with a real camera, not a cell camera. :D I am never impressed by the pictures my cell takes. I am really pleased with my little point-and-shoot...it's held up well through a Disney half and full, and now this race!

Congrats on your great finish for the race! Looks like a fun one!

Thanks! It was definitely the coolest non-Disney race I have run. Congrats on your muddy race...those pictures were nuts! :eek:

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
Great report, that was certainly a fun race, and dang, have you lost some weight since your WDW Marathon report?? Lookin' good, even if you felt hot n sweaty. ;)

Interesting factoid: My company designed and built the center-hung scoreboard at the Q, and the video ribbon displays as well.

I'm signed up to do a 5K through Yankee Stadium in August. Ramps, stairs, field. Hopefully, I won't have to be carried out. :D

Ariel484

Original Poster
Great report, that was certainly a fun race, and dang, have you lost some weight since your WDW Marathon report?? Lookin' good, even if you felt hot n sweaty. ;)

Interesting factoid: My company designed and built the center-hung scoreboard at the Q, and the video ribbon displays as well.

I'm signed up to do a 5K through Yankee Stadium in August. Ramps, stairs, field. Hopefully, I won't have to be carried out. :D

Yes I have lost weight since then...thank you!! :) It makes running MUCH easier and more enjoyable.

Very cool that you guys designed the stuff in the Q! Now I will actually have to go to a basketball game to see it in action!

I remember you talking about that Yankee Stadium 5K...that sounds like quite a workout. I hope you get cool weather for it! Good luck!!

enchanted_belle

I would totally do a race like that if they ever offered it in Philly! Super cool. Thanks for sharing. :)

(And Dan loved the Hall of Fame when he went on vacation there 2 years ago... just a little side note. haha!)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom