Mid/late August crowds

crassmonkey

Hey everyone! It's been a few years since our last trip, and a few years since I posted on here, but the wife and I will be making it down to The World in August of 2012.
We usually like to go in September, but circumstances have forced us to make this next trip August 19th to the 25th 2012.
So I'm wondering how the crowds are in those last couple weeks of the month. September is such a great time to go with the lower crowd numbers, so I guess I'm wondering how the crowds compare to that time.
Thanks in advance for the help, it's great to be back!!

disneygirl76

Carey Poppins - Nanny and Disney Enthusiest
Hey everyone! It's been a few years since our last trip, and a few years since I posted on here, but the wife and I will be making it down to The World in August of 2012.
We usually like to go in September, but circumstances have forced us to make this next trip August 19th to the 25th 2012.
So I'm wondering how the crowds are in those last couple weeks of the month. September is such a great time to go with the lower crowd numbers, so I guess I'm wondering how the crowds compare to that time.
Thanks in advance for the help, it's great to be back!!

I checked touringplans.com for you. They are giving the crowd level a 7 or 8 the first few days of your trip and then it drops to 4 or 5 for the end of the week you are there.

I hope this info helps!

Upvote 0

mickeysshoes

We have been mid to late August for the past 2 years and will be there again in 100 days!!! The crowds are very DOABLE..not bad at all. They will be a tad more than you are used to in Sept but we are not talking July crowds. What you do have to deal with will be the HEAT...it will be a tad hotter than Sept..but not by much. You will have a great trip!!

Upvote 0

cinderellafan6

The summer crowds will be winding down during that time,,,,,but the heat and humidity is horrible. Im a Florida resident and the heat is sometimes unbearable. Plus Orlando is inland so you dont get that ocean breeze. Just be sure to keep cool at all costs. Disney has a lot of heat stroke cases cause people come down that dont know about true summer Florida heat and they pay for it.

Upvote 0

crassmonkey

Original Poster
The summer crowds will be winding down during that time,,,,,but the heat and humidity is horrible. Im a Florida resident and the heat is sometimes unbearable. Plus Orlando is inland so you dont get that ocean breeze. Just be sure to keep cool at all costs. Disney has a lot of heat stroke cases cause people come down that dont know about true summer Florida heat and they pay for it.
True. I grew up in Georgia, and still live in the south, so I'm pretty used to crazy humidity and heat!

Upvote 0

crassmonkey

Original Poster
Well I just did a little research and found that Kids in the Orlando area go back to school on Aug. 20th 2012, the day after we get there. And from what I have heard the crowds drop when that happens!
I can deal with the heat as long as I'm at Disney!! :lol:

Upvote 0

baymenxpac

i can tell you from personal experience that i've always found the crowds to be very, very manageable in late august. my parents and i did our annual trip to disney the last two weeks in august every single year from 1993-2007. since the kids are back at school down south, it keeps the local traffic down and you usually can get a ton accomplished. the only thing i'd advise is if you're planning to do a water park, try to hit it during the week. like other posters noted, it's super hot and humid, so a water park is still a viable thing to do on a hot august saturday for the locals.

you should also notice a dense population of vacationers from new york and new jersey. my folks and i used to always kid that the tri-state area takes over, since we're not back in school until after labor day. don't worry. we're friendly. i promise!

Upvote 0

baymenxpac

and just as a quick beat-the-heat trick: you may want to try to do a park for opening in the morning, then break for some pool time or some resting in the AC in the room during the peak heat hours in the afternoon. it'll give you a chance to freshen up and head back to the parks for dinner and an attraction or two.

Upvote 0

crassmonkey

Original Poster
and just as a quick beat-the-heat trick: you may want to try to do a park for opening in the morning, then break for some pool time or some resting in the AC in the room during the peak heat hours in the afternoon. it'll give you a chance to freshen up and head back to the parks for dinner and an attraction or two.

That's a great idea, and something I promised the wife we would do this year. Last trip we went in Sept. so the crowds were small. We went when the parks opened in the morning, until we couldn't walk anymore (around 6 or 7pm) then would pass out way early. I want to see more fireworks this year, and the wife wants more pool time, so a break in the day is perfect for that.

Upvote 0

rcapolete

While we are on the subject i am going aug 14 to the 19th this year. I saw in tour planning that the crowd levels are around 7 to 8. How will this translate to wait time in the parks.

Upvote 0

riogirl

While we are on the subject i am going aug 14 to the 19th this year. I saw in tour planning that the crowd levels are around 7 to 8. How will this translate to wait time in the parks.

In my past experiences, the week after you are going is quieter..because Southern schools go back that week. The touring plans crowds # goes down the following week. The crowds are very manageable and the park is more enjoyable...it's not empty, but very open where you don't feel so claustophobic...hope your week is just as pleasant!

Upvote 0

HouCuseChickie

We're going the 14th-18th and I expect it to be busy...not quite as busy as July (since the southern teachers will be back in planning at that point and many kids in things like band or football will be in training camp)...but still busy. Busy enough that we'll have to follow a chunk of our touring plan/fast pass strategy for some of our must do attractions.

Upvote 0

dmatt87

After reading this thread I'm quite happy to have booked my honeymoon from August 20th to 28th.

Still regret a little bit of not booking it in September though. I will know for next time!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom