Mickey's Fun House for MK's Storybook Circus (feedback and critiques welcome)

mharrington

Original Poster
Here's something that I think would be good for the queue for Mickey's Fun House: a lot of props from the classic shorts, such as the airplane from "Plane Crazy" or the Sorcerer's hat from the "Sorcerer's Apprentice" scene of "Fantasia". Maybe it could be kind of like Mickey's Movie Barn and part of the queue could look like this: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3560/3440540098_19515d1f1f.jpg. What are your thoughts?

MA Screamin'

Here's something that I think would be good for the queue for Mickey's Fun House: a lot of props from the classic shorts, such as the airplane from "Plane Crazy" or the Sorcerer's hat from the "Sorcerer's Apprentice" scene of "Fantasia". Maybe it could be kind of like Mickey's Movie Barn and part of the queue could look like this: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3560/3440540098_19515d1f1f.jpg. What are your thoughts?

Nice, it'll be just like walking through the costume room, prop room, recording studio, among other things too! :sohappy:

mharrington

Original Poster
Nice, it'll be just like walking through the costume room, prop room, recording studio, among other things too! :sohappy:

There is no recording studio. This will be something more like a sideshow/circus thing. It will involve the Fab Five, plus a few supporting characters. Here's an idea for one of the scenes in the ride itself, which features Ludwig Von Drake and those orphans (the baby Mickey Mice), apparently: http://davelandweb.com/d23/images/neverwas/D23_UDC_Mickey2.jpg.

I'm also not sure what the ride vehicles should look like, but they could have images of the Fab Five on them, similar to the gondolas on the Fun Wheel (with character heads and such). Here's an image of the gondola graphics to give you an idea of what the ride vehicles in Mickey's Fun House will look like: http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-FNwgBKWs5x4/Tf5JYn4Wb1I/AAAAAAAABs8/84dcSu6nlr4/s1600/Gondola+Graphics.jpg.

What do you think?

mharrington

Original Poster
I really have no idea how to take the matter forward. We never did decide how Goofy should appear in the ride, or if he should appear at all, since he has his own ride across the way ("The Great Goofini"). Maybe we could do one of those other stunts covered in one of those posters (I kinda liked that "Bear Wrasslin'" one; see this link here: http://thedisneyblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/0007-goofy3.jpg). But again, should Goofy appear in this ride? I ask this because since he already has his own ride across the way.

MA Screamin'

I really have no idea how to take the matter forward. We never did decide how Goofy should appear in the ride, or if he should appear at all, since he has his own ride across the way ("The Great Goofini"). Maybe we could do one of those other stunts covered in one of those posters (I kinda liked that "Bear Wrasslin'" one; see this link here: http://thedisneyblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/0007-goofy3.jpg). But again, should Goofy appear in this ride? I ask this because since he already has his own ride across the way.

Well, yes and no:

Yes: He's a Disney character with potential. I mean, as I was suggesting earlier in the thread, maybe Goofy could be the finale. I like the Bear Wrasslin' idea, maybe he could do one stunt, get dizzy, do another, dizzier, etc, with the end ending with, yes, cartoon sounds. :ROFLOL: :sohappy: I like the stunt scene in Roger Rabbit, myself. :)

No: As you said he is already in an attraction. But, (correct me if I'm wrong) other characters are used frequently, too, right?

mharrington

Original Poster
Well, yes and no:

Yes: He's a Disney character with potential. I mean, as I was suggesting earlier in the thread, maybe Goofy could be the finale. I like the Bear Wrasslin' idea, maybe he could do one stunt, get dizzy, do another, dizzier, etc, with the end ending with, yes, cartoon sounds. :ROFLOL: :sohappy: I like the stunt scene in Roger Rabbit, myself. :)

No: As you said he is already in an attraction. But, (correct me if I'm wrong) other characters are used frequently, too, right?

So what do you think I should do on the matter of Goofy?

Dr.Seeker

I think the key is, before you get started have a story idea. It's the common thread of all Disney attractions, that you're being told a story like a movie you travel through.

Once you've nailed down what the story is, you can flesh it out with the setting, environment, characters and gags.

mharrington

Original Poster
I think the key is, before you get started have a story idea. It's the common thread of all Disney attractions, that you're being told a story like a movie you travel through.

Once you've nailed down what the story is, you can flesh it out with the setting, environment, characters and gags.

Well, that's just it, I don't really have much of a story. I'm basing much of this idea on a piece of an abandoned concept for Disneyland, called "Mickey's Mad House", which was to have been made as part of the never-built Dumbo's Circusland. I haven't got very much information based on that.

Dr.Seeker

I think in terms of the ride, you should start from the scratch and just use the abandoned concept as inspiration.
How about an area that's like walking into a 1920's short? Have it enclosed in a big building like Studio 1 at Walt Disney Studios . http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3045/2815130803_ce08c38c1c.jpg

I only say that because if the entire land is in black & white, the blue sky would ruin that theme.

Maybe have it like a studio that the toons work at, so instead of being animated, they were actually directing and acting and putting on real shows?

Then your ride could be the 'filming' of a short, with you as the main character; that way you could have all the other classic characters interacting with you; 3D effects like water spray, pies being thrown etc.

Then at the end it could take your picture and superimpose it into a "That's all folks" style title card.

What do you reckon?

mharrington

Original Poster
I think in terms of the ride, you should start from the scratch and just use the abandoned concept as inspiration.
How about an area that's like walking into a 1920's short? Have it enclosed in a big building like Studio 1 at Walt Disney Studios . http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3045/2815130803_ce08c38c1c.jpg

I only say that because if the entire land is in black & white, the blue sky would ruin that theme.

Maybe have it like a studio that the toons work at, so instead of being animated, they were actually directing and acting and putting on real shows?

Then your ride could be the 'filming' of a short, with you as the main character; that way you could have all the other classic characters interacting with you; 3D effects like water spray, pies being thrown etc.

Then at the end it could take your picture and superimpose it into a "That's all folks" style title card.

What do you reckon?

But how would that fit in the Magic Kingdom? Or are you hinting that I should just ditch classic Disney shorts being represented in any way, shape or form at that park?

Dr.Seeker

Not at all, classic movies are well represented at Fantasyland through the dark rides, so why shouldn't their ancestors enjoy the same?
I just think the theme would lend itself better to a Toontown type area.
Just instead of a Country Fair theme, it'd be a film studio.

mharrington

Original Poster
Not at all, classic movies are well represented at Fantasyland through the dark rides, so why shouldn't their ancestors enjoy the same?
I just think the theme would lend itself better to a Toontown type area.
Just instead of a Country Fair theme, it'd be a film studio.

Unfortunately, there is no room for a Toontown in the Magic Kingdom, which is why I thought of Mickey's Mad House, as a way to compensate for the loss of Toontown Fair. The only place where Toontown might fit is at DHS.

Dr.Seeker

You don't necessarily need to worry about the space issue, it's more about the fun of designing a ride than the logistics of fitting it in. If it doesn't fit in Toontown, but belongs there just fudge the map a little. Nobody'll know ;)

mharrington

Original Poster
You don't necessarily need to worry about the space issue, it's more about the fun of designing a ride than the logistics of fitting it in. If it doesn't fit in Toontown, but belongs there just fudge the map a little. Nobody'll know ;)

Well, you see, I prefer to do things logistically so as to make it seem plausible. As for fudging the map, that may be all well and good if it was just the park maps, but I'm talking about the actual park itself. Take a look at this shot here: http://static.attractionsmagazine.com/wp-uploads/2010/12/P1100332.jpg. That's another reason I'm going with the Fun House attraction.

mharrington

Original Poster
With all due respect, does Mickey's Mad/Fun House really need a story? Why can't it just be Mickey and friends running this thing? I mean, look at the Haunted Mansion or even the upcoming Radiator Springs Racers ride. The former is a retirement home for ghosts and the latter is, well, a race. I don't even think that Toy Story Midway Mania has some big elaborate storyline, does it? It's just a ride through some midway games hosted by the Toy Story characters.

So maybe Mickey's Fun House could be like the Toy Story midway ride, except with sideshow attractions hosted by the Fab Five and other supporting characters.

MA Screamin'

With all due respect, does Mickey's Mad/Fun House really need a story? Why can't it just be Mickey and friends running this thing? I mean, look at the Haunted Mansion or even the upcoming Radiator Springs Racers ride. The former is a retirement home for ghosts and the latter is, well, a race. I don't even think that Toy Story Midway Mania has some big elaborate storyline, does it? It's just a ride through some midway games hosted by the Toy Story characters.

So maybe Mickey's Fun House could be like the Toy Story midway ride, except with sideshow attractions hosted by the Fab Five and other supporting characters.

An excellent storyline! :sohappy: As we discussed earlier, the acts could be like Horace Horsecollar, the Reluctant Dragon, Goofy being incorporated (maybe introducing himself), maybe Dumbo even! Again, :sohappy:!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom