Michael Eisner to recieve a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame

tgirl

:eek: ..... :cry: Does he deserve it? Well, for the beginning years of his work at Disney, he might have, but afterwards everything just kept spiraling downward. How did someone, who started off with the Lion King era end up with the direct to video sequel era? It just boggles my mind.

Even though he isn't my most favorite person in Disney history, he is responsible for turning the company into an entertainment powerhouse. He also saved the animation division from being closed and was instrumental in the re-emergence of animation (though he's also responsible for almost destroying it as well later in his career).

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
This makes absolutely no sense. Why should an executive producer be honored? All he has done is to be the corporate sponsor of other peoples creative endeavors.

His only "acting" has been to appear as himself on film, that's hardly acting!

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0004894/

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Had he not overstayed his welcome with Disney, I would have supported his star.

Since he overstayed it, I might relieve myself on it.

maggiegrace1

Apparently many people do though....

I amn sure that many who have recieved the star..are probably not worthy of it in some peoples eyes..but there are people who think they do.

He was with the company for a while and did do a lot while there..whether people like what he did or not.

JMO though..

:)

Shaman

Before Eisner, Disney was in the dumps. He made Disney the entertainment/media giant it is today. Sure he stuck around for too long...and made some questionable decisions. But to say that he made no contributions to Hollywood, I personally think, is crazy. :shrug:

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Before Eisner, Disney was in the dumps. He made Disney the entertainment/media giant it is today. Sure he stuck around for too long...and made some questionable decisions. But to say that he made no contributions to Hollywood, I personally think, is crazy. :shrug:

I didn't say he made no contribution. But I certainly don't think he ranks with Walt himself!

Tim G

I didn't say he made no contribution. But I certainly don't think he ranks with Walt himself!

Aux contraire mon ami, aux contraire...

Michael Eisner was the next best thing after Walt Disney...
Robert Iger still has to proof himself... (he'll never make it)

That's what you get putting Steve Jobs behind the scenes...

Michael kept the group together...
Robert destroyed this and still is doing it...

And soon he will have destroyed the whole Disney Company as we know it...

Bad... Very bad...:(

This makes absolutely no sense. Why should an executive producer be honored? All he has done is to be the corporate sponsor of other peoples creative endeavors.

His only "acting" has been to appear as himself on film, that's hardly acting!

Just keep in mind that the stars are for those who've had major influences in the entertainment industry. In regards to only those stars that are for movie industry professionals then Eisner deserves a star just as much as Walt Disney did. Walt wasn't an actor....nor was he an animator...he was really nothing more than an executive producer for a movie studio. Eisner fits that description as well.

Without Eisner coming to Disney then animation probably dissapears from Disney all together. He was also instumental in revisiting such stories that Walt felt would never make good animated films....Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast and Pocahontas. Two of these films helped to reinvigorate a dying style of film making. Roy Disney brought Eisner and Katenzburg aboard so that they could keep Disney animation alive, it was set to be disbanded by 1984.

Just in the animation stand point he was vital to the entire industry surviving the 80's and then exploding in the 90's. Sure he was in control of a company that had already been created by another person, but he also brought us a much improved Walt Disney World and added 2 new theme parks and various other locations that we've probably all visited on trips to Disney (Blizzard Beach, Typhoon Lagoon, Downtown Disney, etc....)

I'm not fond of the man beyond what he did to help animation re-emerge as a great form of filmmaking. He was almost as instrumental in it's downfall, but without him...it falls 20 years earlier and Disney is not what you know it to be today.

tigfan

What a lot of people here seem to be overlooking is that getting a star on the Walk of Fame is not the "honor" or "recognition" that it appears to be. A lot of people are of the mistaken belief that stars on the Walk of Fame are somehow bestowed upon people by the Hollywood community, by the city of Hollywood, or some central organization (such as the Academy Awards). In actuality, to get a star on the Walk of Fame requires only that an individual be in the entertainment industry and that the individual pay a fee of around $15,000 or more. If I were to make a movie and had an extra $15,000 to spend, I too could be "honored" with a star on the Walk of Fame. There is no nomination or voting process involved. There is no committee that gets together and just decides to honor someone. It generally comes from the individual themselves or from the person's fan club. And these days, getting a star is generally associated with promoting a person's new movie or music CD.

So the debate over whether or not Michael Eisner "deserves the honor" is really a moot point to begin with. He (or someone representing him) paid the fee and he's been involved in the entertainment industry. That's all it takes to get a star.

Tim G

So the debate over whether or not Michael Eisner "deserves the honor" is really a moot point to begin with. He (or someone representing him) paid the fee and he's been involved in the entertainment industry. That's all it takes to get a star.

Right! :D

tigfan

He also saved the animation division from being closed and was instrumental in the re-emergence of animation (though he's also responsible for almost destroying it as well later in his career).

Actually, your information is incorrect. Read "Storming the Magic Kingdom" and/or "The Disney Touch". When Michael Eisner and Frank Wells first took control of Disney, they actually planned to shut down the animation division altogether. Roy Disney is the one who insisted that it be kept open.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom