Michael Eisner on Larry King tonight

Originally posted by mkt
grr.. I missed it. I was out getting Ice Cream... if anyone taped it, and plans on putting it online, LET ME KNOW!!! Or if anyone in Orlando/Tampa taped it, I'll give them a blank tape to copy it.

PM me, IM me, email me...

I taped it, but I need help with getting it online. I'll digitize it into my computer tomorrow, but need help getting it on a site or #Disney-central on mIRC. PM or E-mail me so I can post this up if no one has yet. Thanks!

KevinPage

Sounds like a slip of the tongue, and he meant to say Haunted Mansion as opposed to Pirates.

I wouldn't doubt that something gets painted every day. There is alot of stuff that needs to be done, whether we see it or not. Just that its not full scale painting and rehabbing like it used to be.

NemoRocks78

Seized
Premium Member
I taped it on my computer! (good thing, cause I love watching it. It's hilarious!:D )

Man, that was THE best Larry King Live i've ever seen in my entire life. I was laughing so much. I mean, I can't believe what this guy said. He doesn't even know anything about the theme parks! I took some notes on it, and here's some memorable quotes.

"Our creative output has been superior"
(On the Roy Disney uproar) "I don't believe this will last long"
"I love sitting with the animation department and seeing what they're doing"
(On the theme parks after 9/11) "Our cast members kept great humor"

And a few other things I saw......

-It's A Small World AND Pirates of the Caribbean have Christmas enhancements!?!?!

-PhilarMagic is in Disneyland? (I know, he said WDW afterwards)

-The CM's are entirely friendly!?!? :lol: :lol:

-Also, the caller from Irvine (I think it was that) who was talking about the parks being built "on the cheap" said the only good attraction was "Soaring Over America":lol: . He also said that he disagrees with her on cheap building, and that Paradise Pier is actually good. (the only thing good is CA Screamin' IMO)

I actually was happy with the caller who called about DCA and the caller who called about the Disney Stores. He seemed a bit nervous answering them.

Don't forget what Larry said near the end of the show-"If you write to Eisner, he'll write you back.":lol:

General Grizz

Originally posted by NemoRocks78
I taped it on my computer! (good thing, cause I love watching it. It's hilarious!:D )

Man, that was THE best Larry King Live i've ever seen in my entire life. I was laughing so much. I mean, I can't believe what this guy said. He doesn't even know anything about the theme parks! I took some notes on it, and here's some memorable quotes.

"Our creative output has been superior"
(On the Roy Disney uproar) "I don't believe this will last long"
"I love sitting with the animation department and seeing what they're doing"
(On the theme parks after 9/11) "Our cast members kept great humor"

And a few other things I saw......

-It's A Small World AND Pirates of the Caribbean have Christmas enhancements!?!?!

-PhilarMagic is in Disneyland? (I know, he said WDW afterwards)

-The CM's are entirely friendly!?!? :lol: :lol:

-Also, the caller from Irvine (I think it was that) who was talking about the parks being built "on the cheap" said the only good attraction was "Soaring Over America":lol: . He also said that he disagrees with her on cheap building, and that Paradise Pier is actually good. (the only thing good is CA Screamin' IMO)

I actually was happy with the caller who called about DCA and the caller who called about the Disney Stores. He seemed a bit nervous answering them.

Don't forget what Larry said near the end of the show-"If you write to Eisner, he'll write you back.":lol:

VERY good points.

Some more favorites...

On his "liking to stop into Animation," how do you include the incident of Eisner walking in and changing Chicken Little's gender TWICE and walking out?

And here is Eisner talking about his job from Transcript:

Where else can you get to the head of the line for Mission Space (ph) at Epcot Center? Where else can you go in the back door and see Mickey's [PHILHARMAGIC] at Disneyland and Walt Disney World? Where else can you go tomorrow night, as I'm going, to the opening of Snow White live show at Disneyland in Anaheim? Where else can you go to Hong Kong and watch them build a new park in the most fantastic site I've ever seen? What else can you go and actually be invited to the Super Bowl with ESPN? You think I'm crazy?
. . .
EISNER: This is a great, great company and a great job, and I like it. That doesn't mean that I can't have all those same things by just being a citizen.

I am sure there are SO many people in the company who deserve this over Eisner. And, so all of these advantages (LIKE BONUSES) is what Eisner likes most about his job?

That bothers me.

mkepcotmgmak

so now he thinks he is better than walt was...

"EISNER: I am surprised because our performance has been so good and our creative output has been so superior and we've never done better in our history. And I really can't comment on other people's motives."

'never done better in our history'!!!

way to go uncle mike. we all agree that you are doing better than walt ever thought about doing.
:lookaroun :fork: :goodnevil :zipit:

Bill

Account Suspended
I think actually that it slipped from Eisner's mouth... PhilharMagic in Disneyland... there seem to be real plans to bring the show to CA, so maybe that is real. But then again, Pirates of the Caribbean Christmas is just insane. "Yo ho Yo ho, Merry Christmas to thee!"

Wade

It makes me mad that Eisner was saying all this "where else can you get to the head of the line....." crap. Walt was there for the families. Walt loved seeing the people happy. Eisner only cares about himself.

lebernadin

Where else can you get to the head of the line for Mission Space (ph) at Epcot Center? Where else can you go in the back door and see Mickey's PHILHARMAGIC at Disneyland and Walt Disney World? Where else can you go tomorrow night, as I'm going, to the opening of Snow White live show at Disneyland in Anaheim? Where else can you go to Hong Kong and watch them build a new park in the most fantastic site I've ever seen? What else can you go and actually be invited to the Super Bowl with ESPN? You think I'm crazy?

In one ten second response he plugged all these attractions and parks.

What do you expect the CEO of a company to say when asked what he likes about his job? Do you want them to say i like how much money everyone below me makes me? His above response is what i'd want as an investor, to keep the focus on the assets and not the man.

This thread is pretty funny actually. The guy jabbed at Comcast once or twice and insinuated he wants them to pay more than other carriers for ESPN now, joking or not. But everyone in this thread with anti-Comcast ads in their signatures either let it go right over their heads or apparently can't even concede this point because of their hatred of Eisner. :lol:

The guy could have answered 99 of 100 questions to your satisfaction and you'd harp on that one and create another 100.

As i've said before, i'm not an Eisner fan, but blind hatred is a scary thing.

As far as the format of Larry King Live and asking substantive questions, i guess most of you have never watched his show. If you had, you would have known what to expect by way of questioning. Larry used to be a pseudo- respected political host back in his east coast days. But since heading out to California, all his shows focus on Hollywood and celebrity trials.

DisneyJedi

I TiVo'd it and extracted it digitally from my TiVo. I am uploading it to #disney-central right now. I'l let you all know when it is finished.

HennieBogan1966

Account Suspended
Addressing comments by Lebernadin

I'd like to address some of the comments made by lebernadin.

(1) Plugging new attractions/events/shows at your parks is fine.
But I would think (no longer being a castmember), that the cm's want certain issues addressed by the "man in charge". Now having said that, the reason they'd like him to address those issues in a public forum like Larry King is because obviously he hasn't addressed any of their concerns elsewhere. Instead he used it as a one hour commercial for new attractions.

(2) While there may be some "hatred" for Mr. Eisner, don't you think that this alleged "hatred" came from somewhere substantive? I know I didn't wake up one day and decide, I hate Michael Eisner. Give people more credit than that. Most of the comments you read on these forums come from current/former castmembers who are on the front lines, or have been on the front lines at one time or another. And their concern is genuine. Not only for themselves, but for the guests of the parks/stores, resorts, etc. etc. And it is a genuine concern for the direction and the long term future of the company.

(3) As for the "he could have ansewered 99/100 questions comment. Maybe if he had addressed one genuine issue for all of us out here that are concerned about the "happiest place on earth", there wouldn't be the criticism that there is out here. He had an opportunity, (a buzzword which most executives these days love to throw around every 30 seconds), to take the lead (something good leaders do), and address some concerns that HE KNOWS exist within his own company. Instead, he once again ignored that opportunity, and instead tooted his own horn/his ideas, and the new attractions, hoping to boost attendance.

People don't go to WDW or DL because they know Michael Eisner is in charge. They go because of what Walt Disney and his family built, and the legacy that they have left for us all to follow and aspire to.

lebernadin

Once again, if you know the format of Larry King Live you wouldn't have all these expectations/dissapointments as to what you'd like to hear from Eisner. The things you just spent 3 paragraphs on would never happen in that format. Larry King Live is a promotional vehicle, just like every other late night show out there. If its not promoting the latest serial killer trial, its promoting the Oscars, some has-been actress/actor who has a book out, or talking to Bob Evans about the old days at Paramount. Its NOT a town hall format where a volley of un-screened questions or shocking things will be revealed and the guest has to legitimately answer them at length and there's no moderator to curb "unwanted" questions.

20/20 or 60 minutes, not sure which one, even did a piece on King not too long ago and asked him about how his show has essentially become the Tonight Show of CNN; asking only the questions that will promote the guest and never anything pointed.

lebernadin

Re: Addressing comments by Lebernadin

Originally posted by HennieBogan1966

People don't go to WDW or DL because they know Michael Eisner is in charge. They go because of what Walt Disney and his family built, and the legacy that they have left for us all to follow and aspire to.

That's being very presumptious and actually giving more credit where it probably not due. Most people don't know who ________ Cheney or Colin Powell are.

If you take a look even in this forum you'll find threads about how people on these boards are so annoyed with other guests or friends who don't know the names of the parks or what attractions are what and where they're located.

So to paint why people go to the parks in that light is far more wishful marketing on your part than truth.

Let's just leave it at people go to the parks for fun. I'd guess that most don't know that Michael Eisner is the CEO or care, let alone have an opinion of his management of the company.

mikedvcmember

Original Poster
I'd guess that most don't know that Michael Eisner is the CEO or care, let alone have an opinion of his management of the company.

Very well said, That is why we need to get the word out there and let people know what is going on "behind the scenes"

HennieBogan1966

Account Suspended
No one knows who Michael Eisner is?

So no one watched the world series when the Anaheim Angels won? No one watches Larry King live? No one watches the Disney Channel or reads the newspaper? The Wall Street Journal?

I think it VERY presumptious to say that no one knows who he is, or doesn't know of his management style. And I'm thinking that if you were to poll people at the parks, they'd know him and Walt Disney both. And if asked who they'd prefer to have running the show, if he were alive, they'd say Walt Disney. And it isn't "marketing" on my part to say that the reason that people attend the parks is due to the legacy left by Mr. Disney. And whether or not Larry Kings' show is a marketing vehicle or not, the fact is that Mr. Eisner had the "opportunity" with a nationwide audience and passed it up. While the calls may be screened (with viewers throwing him soft balls I might add), or the format being taylored to market new product, attractions, events, etc. he STILL HAD THE OPPORTUNITY. Lastly, to equate this with people not knowing who the Vice President is isn't the same thing. That issue speaks to a different problem in our society.

There is no defending his lack of leadership here. He clearly has "lost the team". And he clearly shows no vision or leadership skills to lead this company into the future. If he had, no one would be having these, and other, discussions.

DisneyJedi

Just to let those that missed it know... the interview is now available for download in the #disney-central IRC channel. Use the trigger: !video and then navigate to the TV specials & News folder.

mikedvcmember

Original Poster
Re: No one knows who Michael Eisner is?

Originally posted by HennieBogan1966
So no one watched the world series when the Anaheim Angels won? No one watches Larry King live? No one watches the Disney Channel or reads the newspaper? The Wall Street Journal?

All current events that has happend within a few years. You ask the faimily that has saved up for 10 years to go to disney if they know who the C.E.O. of WDW is.This is in our lives every day. We are on websites all the time reading about WDW and the goings on there.It would be a good poll to take.Maybe now they would with all this being in the news but before all this I dont think so.

KevinPage

Re: Re: Addressing comments by Lebernadin

Originally posted by lebernadin
That's being very presumptious and actually giving more credit where it probably not due. Most people don't know who ________ Cheney or Colin Powell are.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I like the fact that the Vice President's name gets the _____ treatment. Maybe Steve should add the word Eisner as a curse as well :D

mikedvcmember

Original Poster
Re: Re: Re: Addressing comments by Lebernadin

Originally posted by KevinPage
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I like the fact that the Vice President's name gets the _____ treatment. Maybe Steve should add the word Eisner as a curse as well :D

Michael __________ C.E.O W.D.W. :lol: :lol: :lol: :sohappy:

KevinPage

Re: Re: Re: Re: Addressing comments by Lebernadin

Originally posted by mikedvcmember
Michael __________ C.E.O W.D.W. :lol: :lol: :lol: :sohappy:

Of all the Michael ________ joints you could have walked into, you walked into this one!

Go Michael ________ yourself!

Stick it straight up your Michael ______!

Blow it out your Michael ________!

If you don't like my driving dial, 800-Michael ______!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom