Merida's New Look

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
If you watch the video, her mannerisms are totally different from the other, more traditional princesses. She just hops off her horse and strolls up to the castle very casually. So at least for now the actual character at the parks is Merida-esque.

I personally don't care about her new look because I couldn't stand that movie (couldn't even finish it) but I would hate for Merida to become a cookie cutter princess.
You're right, she walks totally different from the other princesses. They all kinda glide with their arms held in weird poses. Merida takes longer strides and swings her arms.

AllyInWonderland

Yeah I see a bigger difference now. I like her original version better.
original.jpg

Here she is with the other new princess looks

moonwishes2013

This is from Inside the Magic - Link for video of ceremony and more pictures

8727999729_d99f2a0152.jpg

8729118794_4d12dc1eaf_z.jpg

If you watch the video, her mannerisms are totally different from the other, more traditional princesses. She just hops off her horse and strolls up to the castle very casually. So at least for now the actual character at the parks is Merida-esque.

I personally don't care about her new look because I couldn't stand that movie (couldn't even finish it) but I would hate for Merida to become a cookie cutter princess.

I do not hate this look & it looks close enough to the movie, the park Meet & Greet Characters are always different, you expect that. I do not like the other changes, there is a marked difference, my 5yr old daughter asked if that was Merida all grown up, it is a huge difference that a child can see. My daughter asked again today when the New Movie was coming out with the GROWN UP MERIDA!!!

The Empress Lilly

No bow and arrow anymore. The very objects Merida cherishes above all else. The real Merida would make you pry her bow from her cold dead hands! The entire story of Merida is about a Brave girl who will not be forced to conform, but who will learn to fend for herself. Merida's a Second Amendment gal, she won't give up her arms for a princess dress - as happens here.

Disney took a Margareth Thatcher and turned her into barbiedoll who knows her place. Some message to send little girls. Maybe I'm too serious, but I seriously consider not buying this sort of princess merch for the girls in my family anymore. This goes against everything we are trying to teach them.

lazyboy97o

The real Merida would have you pry her bow from her cold dead hands. The entire story of Merida is about a brave girl who will not be forced to conform, but who will learn to fend for herself. Merida's a Second Amendment gal. She will not give up her arms for a princess dress - as happens here.

Disney took a Margareth Thatcher and turned her into barbiedoll who knows her place. Some message to send little girls. Maybe I'm too serious, but I seriously consider not buying this sort of princess merch for the girls in my family anymore. This goes against everything we are trying to teach them.
If Belle was an official Disney Princess before Beauty and the Beast was made she'd have to fall for Gaston, who understands that thinking is a dangerous pastime (especially for womenfolk).

JIMINYCR

You're right, she walks totally different from the other princesses. They all kinda glide with their arms held in weird poses. Merida takes longer strides and swings her arms.

O.K. we all really know what went down. Like all the Hollywood types, she got some good reviews from the film critics. She liked the P.R buzz that was going around about her. She immediately gets a swelled ego and starts changing everything about herself to fit in with the jet setting, high class stars. She's no longer the simple old fashioned girl we knew and loved. Same old story over and over again. Disney makes em a star and
off they go. Good girl goes bad.;)

original.jpg

BrightImagine

Aside from the whole girlification thing (off the shoulder sparkly dress, smoother hair...) I have a different objection. This is a terrible piece of artwork and I can't believe that it was commissioned by Disney, the home of amazing artists. Her torso is too tiny, her shoulders look dislocated, and the whole hands-behind-the-back pose always strikes me as either insecurity about drawing hands, or laziness. I am hoping that this is just some kind of rough draft that made its way onto the internet... I never want to be the mean critic type person, but I just don't want to believe that this is a completed design.

I hope maybe they stick with the other drawing in this thread, the one that's a more three-quarter view. It looks more proportionate, and sassier, and at least she's not completely hiding her hands.

docdebbi

This entire change really has me upset. Why must we sexualize our small girls so early? These princesses all look like they're ready for bed! The kids get the message although subliminally. They still see they"sexy" thing as desirable. I brought home a sippie cup for the grandkids the other day without looking closely. When we looked, my daughter and I were both appalled. We've taken to just calling poor Auruora "slutty sleepy" .

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom