Member won't add Dining Plan on rented points - help!

CStyles45

Original Poster
Hey everyone. I need some help. This is the first year anything like this as happened. I rented points through a well known source to the forum. Now I'm finalizing things for our upcoming trip. Call the company to get the DDP added on comes back that the member won't do it for me! :(

I have no idea what to do or what my options are now. I have resis for every day of our trip. Can anyone help me out?? Thanks in advance!

Rob562

I agree with @Tom . Unless I'm getting it as part of Free Dining (and even then only at a Value or Moderate) I tend to view the DDP as more of a convenience factor than anything else. It can be tough to save much money when paying for the Plan, unless you go in planning to order the most expensive item on each menu. But then where's the fun and spontaneity in that?

-Rob

PolynesianPrincess

Yikes! I know we rented points before and in our contract it stated the member had to add whatever options we wanted (DMe, DDP, etc..) upon our request. So since it was in the contract, they had to do it. And that's the way it should be, I think. You're renting their points so they won't lose them so they should honor your requests.

PolynesianPrincess

Hey everyone. I need some help. This is the first year anything like this as happened. I rented points through a well known source to the forum. Now I'm finalizing things for our upcoming trip. Call the company to get the DDP added on comes back that the member won't do it for me! :(

I have no idea what to do or what my options are now. I have resis for every day of our trip. Can anyone help me out?? Thanks in advance!

Checkt through your contract (if you signed one) and see if it mentions anything like adding DDP, DME, etc... If it does, let the company know since it's in the contract, they have to honor it. If there isn't anything in the contract or you don't have one, I'm not sure there is anything you can do :(

CStyles45

Original Poster
I looked at my contract last night. It didn't outline anything specific about it. They added on DME for me no problem a few months ago so I don't see what the deal is. I can't fathom why someone wouldn't help out another family.

PolynesianPrincess

I looked at my contract last night. It didn't outline anything specific about it. They added on DME for me no problem a few months ago so I don't see what the deal is. I can't fathom why someone wouldn't help out another family.

Yeah, I understand. Its not like it's a huge hassle for them to call and add it on. Hopefully you get it figured out! :( Good luck!

kasey1988

Sorry to hear of your trouble. Maybe contact the agents with that company that you have been working with. Maybe your agent can help you find another source of points? Or double check your contract or any email with the company? We have points rented in september , even tho we will not need the dining plan, as we are only there for 2 nights , This was clearly stated in our contract under member promises:

" e) To add the Disney Dining Plan for the Renter once Renter has made payment for such to the DVC Rental Store. Additionally, Member agrees to add the Disney Dining Plan for Renter in a timely manner so as not to jeopardize the addition of the Disney Dining Plan under the guidelines of the Disney Vacation Club."

I hope everything works out for you and your family!

Weather_Lady

I'm baffled by the member's attitude, too, but it sounds like you're a little stuck (again, as others said, unless the member has a contract with the DVC rental agency that requires them to add the DDP on request).

There may be a bright side, though: have you calculated what you'll pay for your ADRs out of pocket? It's possible that you'll actually save money by not using the DDP. (FWIW, my family has used the DDP twice, selecting only the highest-cost 1-credit restaurants, and both times, we still spent more on the DDP than we'd have spent if we'd ordered what we usually do and paid OOP.) A quick visit here will give you an idea: http://www.distripplanner.com/

Last edited:

PolynesianPrincess

I'm baffled by the member's attitude, too, but it sounds like you're a little stuck (again, as others said, unless the member has a contract with the DVC rental agency that requires them to add the DDP on request).

There may be a bright side, though: have you calculated what you'll pay for your ADRs out of pocket? It's possible that you'll actually save money by not using the DDP. (FWIW, my family has used the DDP twice, selecting only the highest-cost 1-credit restaurants, and both times, we still spent more on the DDP than we'd have spent if we'd ordered what we usually do and paid OOP.) A quick visit here will give you an idea: http://www.distripplanner.com/

I agree with you here! We had a Tables In Wonderland card cause we had APs but free dining came out so we figured give it a shot to see how we liked it and it was just soooo much food! I normally don't always finish all my entree, let alone order dessert. If people eat their whole entree and dessert, every time, then it might be worth it but for us it wasn't. I felt like I wasted too much food because I would order a dessert, just cause it was on the plan and I could, and then never finish it :(

Then since it was only 1 QS meal a day and 1 TS meal a day and 1 snack, we had to pay out of pocket for breakfast anyway (we used the QS meal on either lunch or dinner in the parks) plus any snacks over the 1 a day we were alloted. I know if we had paid for the DDP, we would have lost money for sure, even without TIW card!

EOD K9

To the OP, was this through a website or an individual member? I've rented points to people here and it would be something to discuss first. If its an individual renter, they would need to pay immediately. Can you clarify? or maybe I missed it.

CStyles45

Original Poster
To the OP, was this through a website or an individual member? I've rented points to people here and it would be something to discuss first. If its an individual renter, they would need to pay immediately. Can you clarify? or maybe I missed it.

It was through a well known site that handles DVC rentals. I don't want to mention them just yet. I'm going to call them later and see if they can help before I go mentioning their name in a bad way.

note2001

From what I've read DDP needs to be added 2+ days out from the trip, no more "call before heading to the front desk" bit. How far out are you from your trip?

Tom

Beta Return
It was through a well known site that handles DVC rentals. I don't want to mention them just yet. I'm going to call them later and see if they can help before I go mentioning their name in a bad way.

I wouldn't suggest mentioning anything negative about the actual company, because this is likely out of their control.

EOD K9

Understood. Your first post just mentioned a well known source. That being said, they need to square that away ASAP.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
If it's not in the contract then there is nothing you can really do. The rental company could talk to the renter for you and try to sway them, but it's up to the renter at this point.

On the positive side as others have said, it's not entirely a bad thing. You could maybe even save some money by not doing it. You said you have reservations for the whole trip. Open up a site with online menus and try to estimate how much you would have spent for what is covered under DDP. It's likely it's around or even less than the cost of DDP. Without it you can get and appetizer one meal instead of desert or a beer instead of a soft drink. If you feel like just getting a burger instead of the strip steak you don't feel like you are "wasting" a TS credit. IMHO it's a lot more flexible. If you are worried about budgeting money just take the money you would have used to pay for DDP and buy Disney gift cards. Then you can either pay for each meal with a gift card individually or charge everything on your magic band and then pay the bill at the end of your trip with the gift cards.

jpittore1

I understand your frustration, ask if they will do an addendum to add the dining plan 7 days prior to your reservation date maybe that will remove the renters negative thoughts and realize they will not have to complete any additional work since it is so close to your trip. During our last three trips I kept copies of all the receipts from dining and our family of four saved approximately 20% using the deluxe dining plan. We typically have a breakfast/lunch and a signature dinner everyday.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom