Maui Meet-and-Greet Character

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
Original Poster
So I guess they're just not gonna utilize the Maui character they went to the trouble of making? Seems odd, given the popularity.
Screenshot_20161111-192327~2.png

Cmdr_Crimson

So I guess they're just not gonna utilize the Maui character they went to the trouble of making? Seems odd, given the popularity. View attachment 199042

Probably due to the Disney store Maui Costume controversey? While I don't think it is..There had to be some reason it wasn't brough out..
maui-feature.jpg

Funny they had brought out a Dwayne the Rock & Jimmy Fallon costume at Universal a few days ago for a stint on the Tonight Show..
et_latenight_040617_vid3_1280_ren640.jpg

21stamps

Probably due to the Disney store Maui Costume controversey? While I don't think it is..There had to be some reason it wasn't brough out..
maui-feature.jpg

Funny they had brought out a Dwayne the Rock & Jimmy Fallon costume at Universal a few days ago for a stint on the Tonight Show..
et_latenight_040617_vid3_1280_ren640.jpg

What controversy? I didn't even know that costume existed, so I'm obviously in the dark on the subject.

IanDLBZF

So I guess they're just not gonna utilize the Maui character they went to the trouble of making? Seems odd, given the popularity. View attachment 199042
I believe Maui could only be appearing at corporate events and runDisney Marathons from the looks of it. May take this with a grain of salt, but if Moana becomes a regular at MK, Maui could come out for hard-ticketed events (i.e. MNSSHP or MVMCP).

AndyS2992

Most likely because of the controversy that the Maui's tattoos are considered sacred in the Polynesian culture and that the people there were offended that Disney was using them on a animated character and accused Disney of mocking their traditions and culture as well as being angry that these sacred designs had been used on costumes and clothing to cash in and then there is the whole 'brownface' racist thing mentioned above. It was probably a wise decision by Disney to withdraw it.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
O. M. G.

I have seen plenty of Elsa wigs. As a white skinned blonde, should I be offended?

It's a Disney Character!!! This is ridiculous.

Whether or not you accept the following argument as valid or not... doesn't matter to me, I'm not going to get into a debate about it, and not in this thread, but, if you want to know, whether or not you agree, the issue is this:

People who belong to the majority/advantaged class generally don't mind if they are imitated by disadvantaged classes. Even if the imitation isn't flattering, what do the elites care? They got plenty of luxury and security.

People who belong to minority and disadvantaged classes very much do mine if they're being imitated. They create a compelling art form for themselves and get high praises among themselves, but, not a lot of money, because their audience is the fellow disadvantaged class. But when the advantaged/majority class 'appropriates' the art form and makes oodles of money off of it... hopefully you can see the unfairness of that.

Also, when the majority/advantaged class imitate the lower classes, it is hard to tell if it is a since form of flattery or if they're being made fun of in a way so as to keep them oppressed. So, no matter how sincere and flattering the portrayal is, blackface is nope. I hope you see how troubling it would be for a White person to wear blackface to portray Tiana or Naveen, regardless of intent. And that's because if you give social approval to such things, then someone who is genuinely racist will wear blackface for a bad intent and then make the claim (falsely) that it's all in good fun.

So, as a general rule, you can always 'appropriate up' and never 'appropriate down.'

If it doesn't sound fair... neither is belonging to a historically oppressed lower class.

21stamps

Whether or not you accept the following argument as valid or not... doesn't matter to me, I'm not going to get into a debate about it, and not in this thread, but, if you want to know, whether or not you agree, the issue is this:

People who belong to the majority/advantaged class generally don't mind if they are imitated by disadvantaged classes. Even if the imitation isn't flattering, what do the elites care? They got plenty of luxury and security.

People who belong to minority and disadvantaged classes very much do mine if they're being imitated. They create a compelling art form for themselves and get high praises among themselves, but, not a lot of money, because their audience is the fellow disadvantaged class. But when the advantaged/majority class 'appropriates' the art form and makes oodles of money off of it... hopefully you can see the unfairness of that.

Also, when the majority/advantaged class imitate the lower classes, it is hard to tell if it is a since form of flattery or if they're being made fun of in a way so as to keep them oppressed. So, no matter how sincere and flattering the portrayal is, blackface is nope. I hope you see how troubling it would be for a White person to wear blackface to portray Tiana or Naveen, regardless of intent. And that's because if you give social approval to such things, then someone who is genuinely racist will wear blackface for a bad intent and then make the claim (falsely) that it's all in good fun.

So, as a general rule, you can always 'appropriate up' and never 'appropriate down.'

If it doesn't sound fair... neither is belonging to a historically oppressed lower class.

I have an 8 year old neighbor who is Hawaiian. She's adopted, her parents are white. She LOVES everything about the movie Moana.

Of course I understand what you're saying.. but then there's this- Disney has been accused of having "too many white princesses" so they, very rightly, diversified. I think it's great. What I don't think is great- is that after the fact then people complain that the costumes of the characters are offensive.

It's a mythological character who was then turned into a Disney character. Kid's just want to dress up like their favorite characters. That fiction and adoration should be able to be separated from being viewed as racism. Sometimes something really is just simple. A wig, and a body suit. So kids can dress up like their new favorite movie. Not everything needs to be turned into something more than that.

Last edited:

brb1006

Maui looks terrific in his greeting form.
The 'well rounded' characters are always fun....Louis the gator, Baymax, Lotso, etc.

I hope Maui gets out at some point.
A shame to waste such a fun character that I'm sure a lot of Guests would love to 'meet' in person.

-
There's Paris

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
I don't think people outside of a culture should be telling others what is a appropriate to feel about the way their culture is portrayed or used.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
You don't think the movie should have been made?
I didn't say that. Disney worked very carefully with many people from polynesian cultures. I think there is a difference in watching a movie featuring people of color and painting your skin to make you look like a person of color. Which is why some people had a problem with the Maui costume, it was close to blackface in their eyes. As a person who has never had to deal with that issue it's not for me to tell them how to feel about it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom