Marvel

Duckberg

In comic book circles the fear is actually that Disney is going to be too much of an influence on Marvel. Not the other way around. Marvel has an image to maintain and the Hulk walking around on Main Street would really kill that. I'm not worried. Disney and Marvel didn't get where they are for nothin'.

Are we talking about a separate Marvel Character Land within WDW down the road :veryconfu

WDW Fan-atic

Original Poster
A Marvel guy was just made head of global licensing. Marvel people have been put in key positions in merchandising. And Perlmutter is the largest individual shareholder of Disney and he's getting more clout all the time.

I hope I'm wrong and these people become Disnified. As I said, I fear otherwise. But don't worry about it. It's all my baseless assumptions.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
A Marvel guy was just made head of global licensing. Marvel people have been put in key positions in merchandising. And Perlmutter is the largest individual shareholder of Disney and he's getting more clout all the time.

I hope I'm wrong and these people become Disnified. As I said, I fear otherwise. But don't worry about it. It's all my baseless assumptions.

Who was made head of global licensing at Disney from Marvel?

And I thought until the estate of Steve Nobs was settled, Michael Eisner was the largest individual shareholder.....

Unplugged

Are we talking about a separate Marvel Character Land within WDW down the road :veryconfu

IMHO, I think this is really what we'd see. While I personally am not a huge Marvel fan (just not into the super hero thing), their characters have a lot of depth and opportunity for Disney. I certainly see them fitting in very well at the Studios park. There is ample flexibility there and with a lot of back lot themeing leaning toward the city scapes, that's a great tie-in.

As stated by others, Disney and Marvel are large companies and neither got that way from continuous bad decisions. I doubt that will be the case here.

Of course, as we've all collectively proven here (myself included), not a single thing the business has done is going to appeal to everyone. That just isn't possible. So if one of us really hates an idea and can do better, we better have enough stock to exercise our voting rights or spend enough $$ there so they notice when we stop. Otherwise, I'll just have to trust that they're going to make the right decision for the long term value of the business.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member

yensid67

When will marvel and disney characters meet?

How long do you think it will be before Disney has COMPLETE control over the Marvel Brand and begin to introduce its costumed characters into the parks? Can you imagine Cinderella walking in the Fantasyland Forest and coming in contact with a strange beefcake dressed in bright colors!? She might just end up leaving Prince Charming or at least skipping out on him when he is off fighting dragons or whatever he fights in his spare time when he not meeting and greeting! LOL

But seriously!?

jtizzle1023

I loved the purchase of marvel from a business stand point, but it doesn't belong in the parks, I love spiderman and all but he can stay in IOA and not in Disney

I still say Marvel should take over the WoL Pavillion. Focus it on genes and gene modification and you've fit the Epcot theme and brought new life to the "Flower & Garden Festival Room"

lebeau

Interesting. Sounds like Disney is putting those into place that know the Marvel line and can help integrate the merchandise into the parks, stores and online. Don't see it as a real threat to the Disney "brand" overall though.

Agreed. It makes sense they'd want someone with a knowledge of the Marvel brand in that group. That's why they spent top-dollar acquiring Marvel.

There's no way Disney lets Marvel impact the Disney brand. The bigger concern is the impact Disney will have on the Marvel brand.

RSoxNo1

I posted something about this on our site, but I think part of the reason that there's so much dead space in Epcot is because the park was overbuilt in 1982. Expansion to the park wasn't necessary, but the park still needed to evolve. This meant things would either be replaced or closed.

Capacity has never been an issue in that park because when it was first opened every attraction had a ridiculously high capacity. That's not to say that high demand/gate busting attractions couldn't boost the attendance for that park, but I really don't see them re-opening Wonders of Life with a new theme. I would expect a full demo/rebuild of both Wonders of Life and Universe of Energy.

It's entirely possible to have a total wait time of under an hour for every attraction in Epcot except Test Track and Soarin' on any given day. This is a good thing for those people that like to park hop, but it doesn't really help drive attendance.

lebeau

I posted something about this on our site, but I think part of the reason that there's so much dead space in Epcot is because the park was overbuilt in 1982. Expansion to the park wasn't necessary, but the park still needed to evolve. This meant things would either be replaced or closed.

Capacity has never been an issue in that park because when it was first opened every attraction had a ridiculously high capacity. That's not to say that high demand/gate busting attractions couldn't boost the attendance for that park, but I really don't see them re-opening Wonders of Life with a new theme. I would expect a full demo/rebuild of both Wonders of Life and Universe of Energy.

It's entirely possible to have a total wait time of under an hour for every attraction in Epcot except Test Track and Soarin' on any given day. This is a good thing for those people that like to park hop, but it doesn't really help drive attendance.

From what I hear, Disney is quite content with the current use of the former WoL pavilion. I expect it will continue to be used for special events. I'd be very surprised to ever see it reopened as a regular attraction.

Since1976

This is somewhat of a moot discussion since Marvel's contract with Universal pretty much guarantees that IoA can keep Marvel Superhero Island indefinitely.

That said, if somehow the contract were to go up in smoke, I would have absolutely no problems with Marvel characters at Walt Disney World. Disney knows there would be a fan revolt if superheroes were to appear anywhere outside of Disney's Hollywood Studios, where they make the most thematic sense (even more than the Power Rangers). I imagine we would have Marvel Weekends there, with Mickey and Friends dressed as superheroes.

Yes, Marvel merchandise can now be found throughout the property, whether it fits there or not, but this has been par for the course for merchandise at WDW for years now.

As for cheesy-looking walkaround characters, I would not be too concerned about that, as we would more likely see costumes based on Marvel Studios *movies*, rather than the comics-based spandex day-glo costumes which currently appear at Islands of Adventure. Disney loves its independent Marvel Cinematic Universe.

lebeau

As for cheesy-looking walkaround characters, I would not be too concerned about that, as we would more likely see costumes based on Marvel Studios *movies*, rather than the comics-based spandex day-glo costumes which currently appear at Islands of Adventure. Disney loves its independent Marvel Cinematic Universe.

The problem with that is the X-Men and FF movies (as well as a handful of others) are still with Fox and the Spider-man films are with Sony.

Like you said, it's a moot point anyway. But IF it happened, I imagine walk-around characters would be based on the comics which Disney owns instead of the movies which Disney only partially owns.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
From what I hear, Disney is quite content with the current use of the former WoL pavilion. I expect it will continue to be used for special events. I'd be very surprised to ever see it reopened as a regular attraction.

It's in good shape for those special events, but would definitely need a lot of work to bring it up to par for anything new. But I agree, the use they have for it now suits Disney's purposes well....

montyz81

I don't object to new blood. It's this particular blood that I fear will change Disney and not for the better.
Read any one of Walt's Biographies he was always trying to hire animators from the competition and did in some cases. As he brought in new experienced talent his animations got better and better. Do not be afraid of change, in most cases it makes things better.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom