Marvel teases a Journey into Imagination comic

MaxW

the more i read, the more the concept seems more like a fanboy dream as opposed to valid possibility. I keep hearing how the High ups are surprised by sales, but won't be doing anything about it. Now how can that make sense

Matt_Black

the more i read, the more the concept seems more like a fanboy dream as opposed to valid possibility. I keep hearing how the High ups are surprised by sales, but won't be doing anything about it. Now how can that make sense

Because even a well-selling comic isn't all that impressive nowadays. Comics have been a niche market for well over a decade now. Their main benefit to larger companies, such as Marvel and DC, is as a story mill for movies and TV. The licensed Disney comics from SLG and Boom were the best-selling titles in each company's history; did Disney take note and reboot Gargoyles or Darkwing Duck? Nope. They raised their licensing fees and effectively cancelled the comics.

FigmentJedi

Original Poster
Because even a well-selling comic isn't all that impressive nowadays. Comics have been a niche market for well over a decade now. Their main benefit to larger companies, such as Marvel and DC, is as a story mill for movies and TV. The licensed Disney comics from SLG and Boom were the best-selling titles in each company's history; did Disney take note and reboot Gargoyles or Darkwing Duck? Nope. They raised their licensing fees and effectively cancelled the comics.
Actually, as far as Boom goes, it was an issue with their lousy handling of certain other titles and bad business practices that lead Disney to take the DIsney and Pixar licenses from them, most notably the mess that was the Ducktales comic

Additionally, Darkwing Duck's comic was gonna restart this year with that re-edited omnibus leading into a completely redone version of the Ducktales crossover, but Disney put it on hold because of the Ducktales reboot. Most likely we'll be seeing DW again as part of that show

Matt_Black

Actually, as far as Boom goes, it was an issue with their lousy handling of certain other titles and bad business practices that lead Disney to take the DIsney and Pixar licenses from them, most notably the mess that was the Ducktales comic

Additionally, Darkwing Duck's comic was gonna restart this year with that re-edited omnibus leading into a completely redone version of the Ducktales crossover, but Disney put it on hold because of the Ducktales reboot. Most likely we'll be seeing DW again as part of that show

That doesn't explain SLG and their Disney titles.

hopemax

Well I finally started to collect these comics! Quick question: Does anyone know if I can find them anywhere ibn the World?
I am missing #2 from the first series and a couple from Figment 2.

The two places I remember seeing the comics were the Figment store itself and in Once Upon a Toy, in the media room with books/musics/games. However, part of that store is under wraps to prepare it for Force Awakens so depending on when you might be visiting, things might be not available or in different places. World of Disney might have had some too, but I can't remember. But both of them were only showing the 2-3 most recent issues, not all of them.

brb1006

So how many Figment Issues have been released so far? Because so far I'm planning on getting the first 3 issues this Christmas along with the two Disney Tales books (We Love Marie, and Figaro's Halloween Surprise).

Last edited:

NiarrNDisney

So how many Figment Issues have been released so far? Because so far I'm planning on getting the first 3 issues this Christmas along with the two Disney Tales books (We Love Marie, and Figaro's Halloween Surprise).

In the first series there were 5 and so far in the 2nd there are 3 unless the new one has been released.

dvitali

First mini series was only five issue, the second mini series is also going to be five issue with only three issue printed so far. The first mini series was also collected into a graphic novel book.

brb1006

First mini series was only five issue, the second mini series is also going to be five issue with only three issue printed so far. The first mini series was also collected into a graphic novel book.
Looks like I'm going with the graphic novel which has all the issues from the first mini series. I think once the second mini series is complete then the same can be done with that.

brb1006

best way to go. Thats what i did
Thanks for letting me know ahead of time, because I almost decided to order three of the Figment issues separately until I learned a graphic novel came out this year and the three issues were releases separably in 2014.

Figments Friend

Issue #4 in the 2d series hits the stands December 23rd.
A little X-mas bonus....!

The 3rd issue sold like hot cakes at my local shop, while older issues from the same series are still sitting on the shelf.
My theory is the cover art had something to do with #3 selling as well as it did as the simplified design made Figment really 'pop' off the wall of other titles.

I still prefer the story and artwork done for the 'Bog Thunder Mountain Railroad' series.
Wish they decided to give that one a 2nd series...enjoyed that one quite a bit.
The hardcover edition is awesome....a must buy for all BTMR fans!
The book cover underneath the paper slip case is Tony Baxter's original concept watercolor painting of the Disneyland Attraction.
Looks great as a cover.
Inside there is additonal concept art that is beautiful to see....and a pair of insightful intros by Tony and Skip Lange.
-

Last edited:

Figments Friend

Thanks for letting me know ahead of time, because I almost decided to order three of the Figment issues separately until I learned a graphic novel came out this year and the three issues were releases separably in 2014.

I highly recommend getting the hardcover editions for two main reasons -
They contain no ads, and best of all they contain additional content such as Attraction concept art.

They are nicely done...and also include introductions by Tony Baxter.
All past issue cover art is included, so don't feel you are missing out on any of those designs by not buying the single issues separately.
All of them, including the variant designs, are also included in the hardcover editions.

:)

-

Last edited:

brb1006

I highly recommend getting the hardcover editions for two main reasons -
They contain no ads, and best of all they contain additional content such as Attraction concept art.

They are nicely done...and also include introductions by Tony Baxter.
All past issue cover art is included, so don't feel you are missing out on any of those designs by not buying the single issues separately.
All of them, including the variant designs, are also included in the hardcover editions.

:)

-
When I finally get the Figment graphic novel. I will be reading them while lessening to the Imagination Pavilion area music and the Magic Journeys theme.

brb1006

Issue #4 in the 2d series hits the stands December 23rd.
A little X-mas bonus....!

The 3rd issue sold like hot cakes at my local shop, while older issues from the same series are still sitting on the shelf.
My theory is the cover art had something to do with #3 selling as well as it did as the simplified design made Figment really 'pop' off the wall of other titles.

I still prefer the story and artwork done for the 'Bog Thunder Mountain Railroad' series.
Wish they decided to give that one a 2nd series...enjoyed that one quite a bit.
The hardcover edition is awesome....a must buy for all BTMR fans!
The book cover underneath the paper slip case is Tony Baxter's original concept watercolor painting of the Disneyland Attraction.
Looks great as a cover.
Inside there is additonal concept art that is beautiful to see....and a pair of insightful intros by Tony and Skip Lange.
-
I heard in the latest Figment issue, they introduced a villain who's like an evil twin of Dreamfinder. I forgot his name but I remember he was completely black.

Figments Friend

That would be 'the Doubtfinder'
A interesting alternative to a villain in that it is a personification of the side every creative person has..or has had...experienced the company of during a creative process - the doubting aspect.

I think everyone who has ever had an idea goes through a stage of questioning wether or not what they are doing or creating is worthwhile.
Has 'doubts'.
If you focus too much as that aspect, chances are your idea will not reach its full potential.

It is a clever nod to that aspect of the creative process, .and personificating it as the stories villain is a fun twist.

-

Last edited:

dgp602

I can only offer my own guess (and i've said this before), but I think that may have originally been the plan. Though that plan seems to have changed. There was a major overhaul for the ride planned to start at the beginning of 2014, rumored to harken back to the original ride somewhat (with Dreamfinder returning). My personal belief is that the comic may have been made with the intention to act as a tie in and advertisement for the new version of the ride. The plans for the new ride were scrapped sadly, but the comic was probably already in production and they decided to just go ahead with it. An easy way to cash in on fan nostalgia (and it seems to have been a larger success than they expected).

From what trusted sources on these forums are saying (at least Raven has commented on this recently), it sounds like there aren't any current plans for the ride.
I visited the Pavilion yesterday. It is in a very sad state. The colors inside are fading badly. The ride is dated. The audio is horrible. No Christmas decorations at all. The outside of the pavilion is like a ghost town. No foot traffic. No music outside. The reverse waterfall effect was not working. The jumping water fountains lack the thrust to send the water to the intended targets and instead splashes onto the pavement. Very sad to hear that the plans to renovate were scrapped...

Miss Heinous

I visited the Pavilion yesterday. It is in a very sad state. The colors inside are fading badly. The ride is dated. The audio is horrible. No Christmas decorations at all. The outside of the pavilion is like a ghost town. No foot traffic. No music outside. The reverse waterfall effect was not working. The jumping water fountains lack the thrust to send the water to the intended targets and instead splashes onto the pavement. Very sad to hear that the plans to renovate were scrapped...
When has anything in Future World other than Leave a Legacy ever been decorated for Christmas? Ever?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom