Marvel Studios Developing Asian Superhero Film ‘Shang-Chi’

spacemt354

Chili's
And sometimes actors do take pay cuts in order to make films, but that is a not a guarantee that will happen for every big name actor and for every film. Jackman did it for Logan in order to secure an R rating for the film from the studio. But again its not guaranteed that all actors will do that for every film. If a studio gets known in the industry for trying to get your actors to always take a pay cut you don't get the big name talent.

Also this can't be a long term thing, you can't ask an actor to take a pay cut for a part that is going to be in 3-6+ movies. Actors tend to want to get paid out for multi-picture deals that includes points on the back end. Its just how Hollywood works, its not unique to Marvel. So yeah you might be able to get an actor to do one movie for a pay cut, but if you want that actor to come back for future films for the same character you're gonna have to pay.

And trust me I know that actors are making more than most people make in their entire lives. I really wish most didn't make the money they do make because they aren't worth it most of the time. But we don't live in that world, we live in the world where you get a big name actor ending up making $100M or more per film with a deal for both front end and back end paychecks.

Not sure if you've seen the slate of movies coming up, but a lot of these aren't going to be doable with a majority of shots on physical sets. Maybe they can go back to that after 2026.

Also they are slowing down the releases which should give the VFX teams a break.
I never said it was a long term thing. But none of these discussed solutions are, because even if you get a no name actor to start, eventually they will want the big bucks once they become popular. And to me, it has no bearing on my life how much Disney spends on their films. I don't see a dime of it, this is just a discussion of how to bring the budget down. In the exercise of possible options there are multiple paths to bring these budgets down and that's all my point was about.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I never said it was a long term thing. But none of these discussed solutions are, because even if you get a no name actor to start, eventually they will want the big bucks once they become popular. And to me, it has no bearing on my life how much Disney spends on their films. I don't see a dime of it, this is just a discussion of how to bring the budget down. In the exercise of possible options there are multiple paths to bring these budgets down and that's all my point was about.
Yes there are many options, including the one that Feige already stated they are doing which is less long term contracts and more short term deals with lesser known actors.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
First, I'm not your son grandpa..... Second we can discuss this more after Celebration.
Well at least they know what it should feel like…
(I can make my rotj case another time 😎)
1677841200319.jpeg

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
You don’t see a dime of it…
But if it becomes burdensome, your dimes at the parks will go to a $85 breakfast and $199 “after hours” ticket at an underdeveloped park
1677841344130.jpeg

Phicinfan

But that’s not how this goes…once an actor is a draw…then they become the high price you need.
Yes, but they have also casted those that WERE big and that drives the costs higher
That is what happened with RDJ…who was a nobody and did Ironman for $800,000…but then got a reported $20,000,0000 for 6 minutes in Spider-Man close to home…
This is non-sensical. RDJ an unknown prior to Iron man is pure fallacy. I will grant he was on the snide due to drug and alcohol issues, but he was well known, and I will add most felt this was type casting.
That’s how tentpoles work. You get screwed by talent. Which is why I mentioned depp and ford upthread…Iger didn’t like that they lost control of them and were paying huge chunks and pieces to…
True, the cost of being good and getting popular is cost goes up
Evans has given enough interviews where he towed the “I want to do other things…” while making it known he has a price…when infinity war came out was when he announced he was done…but in Hollywood speak it sure sounded like it was a negotiating impasse. Does that make a bit of sense?
You decide…I’m just the town fool.
You are not a fool, but you do seem to have blinders on.
First with Evans, it was known he passed up offers for large roles due to his contract with MCU, and he didn't want to be type casted as hero all the time - he was awesome in knives out. So I DO buy he wanted out to do other things, I also think he was laying the ground work to inevitably coming back when all parties were ready

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Yes, but they have also casted those that WERE big and that drives the costs higher
Probably not quite as smart…but necessary
This is non-sensical. RDJ an unknown prior to Iron man is pure fallacy. I will grant he was on the snide due to drug and alcohol issues, but he was well known, and I will add most felt this was type casting.
Let me clarify…he was a has been. He begged favreau. They both admit it…it isn’t a secret. Lookie Lookie it up.
True, the cost of being good and getting popular is cost goes up

You are not a fool, but you do seem to have blinders on.
First with Evans, it was known he passed up offers for large roles due to his contract with MCU, and he didn't want to be type casted as hero all the time - he was awesome in knives out. So I DO buy he wanted out to do other things, I also think he was laying the ground work to inevitably coming back when all parties were ready
Dude…this IS nonsense, give evans $50,000,000 or a piece and he’ll be buried with that shield…gladly.

40 year old actors don’t want to be rich and famous? They want to “explore their craft”?
😂😂😂

Phicinfan

Let me clarify…he was a has been. He begged favreau. They both admit it…it isn’t a secret. Lookie Lookie it up.

Dude…this IS nonsense, give evans $50,000,000 or a piece and he’ll be buried with that shield…gladly.

40 year old actors don’t want to be rich and famous? They want to “explore their craft”?
😂😂😂
Not everyone is as jaded as you sir. Its reported this was the case, you disagreement with it is opinion, and a very jaded one

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Well yeah Downey was crash and burn, however he was on a comeback with Sherlock Holmes.
But Holmes came out after Ironman…it’s weird how actors tend to come “in spurts”…

Point remains it was a reclamation project. Good for him. Hopefully he stays on the wagon permanently…unlike Carrie fisher

Disney Irish

Premium Member

😂😂😂
So couple corrections there.

It was Favreau who wanted RDJ from the beginning, RDJ was not begging for it. And it was Favreau who convinced Feige, Arad, and Perlmutter to cast him, they wanted someone else for Iron Man.

Actors all the time want to go off and do something else instead of playing the same role over and over, ie don't want to be type cast. As the saying goes, one for them and one for me, actors want to play other roles. So just because backing up a truck full of money might work for you, its not going to make much difference for an actor worth over $110M already who wants to do other things like Knives Out and The Gray Man. So no he doesn't want to be buried with the shield.

Phicinfan

But Holmes came out after Ironman…it’s weird how actors tend to come “in spurts”…

Point remains it was a reclamation project. Good for him. Hopefully he stays on the wagon permanently…unlike Carrie fisher
True and me also, meant to put Chaplin in here as well, which was what really started his career again, even though it was not overly successful at the theater.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom