Marvel coming to WDW?!?!

Cesar R M

Was the new Lion King theater value engineered? Has Disney Springs been value engineered?
Thats the issue.. Disney Springs is a cashcow for selling. They put priority to cash cows.
Harambe Theater was a necessity due of the popularity of the show.
But have you seen most new attractions? A lot of them seem to have been reduced in quality in some way or another.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Spirit, asking this because its another random horribly unfitting overlay rumor, but is there anything to that claim floating around of the Muppets moving into Liberty Square? It sounds like the sort of thing that'd be fake as hell, but with these Tower plans establishing Chapek as a "Worse then Pressler" threat, I would not be surprised if it was something that crossed his mind.

I haven't heard a thing about that beyond this site. No clue why that would happen or if there is any basis for people talking about it.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Yup, I really don't understand how a lot of my fellow Disneylanders on these boards are ok or just indifferent about losing TZTOT for GOTG. For many many reasons that I have repeated over and over again. With That said is there anything that us over here in Anaheim can do if TDA is set on doing this? I made my phone calls but anything else?

I remember you had some positive things to say when Bob Weiss got promoted.... Does it even matter when someone like Chapek is running the show? So in this case, what does this really mean for us .... we ll just a get a less terrible overlay then if Weiss wasn't there?

Yes, it matters. To what degree, we'll have to wait and see.

Yes, Chappie being elevated to head P&R seems like the latest in a VERY long two-decade now line of terrible decisions, first by Michael Eisner and, now for the last decade, Bob Iger.

BUT ... having Bob Weis running WDI is a great move and the best at 1401 Flower Street this century.

Now, I know that seems to be two pieces of conflicting data (or opinions), but they both can and are true. As to how it will all play out, it just is way too soon to know.

But people need to wake up and realize that Bob Iger has been terrible for P&R, so much worse than MDE was at his worst. The fact that after almost 11 years as the head of the company that things are finally being built (and one can argue the wrong things and in the wrong places and not nearly enough) somehow seems to miss fanbois that crow about projects that won't be done for years to come.

Again, only Disney ... only Disney.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Disney fans today are by and large Disney movie fans first, and everything else is a distant second, and even then the focus is mostly on the animated output. Anything that doesn't directly relate to that is seen as unimportant. It's why some have no attachment to ToT as is. The Twilight Zone is not a "Disney" product, and if it gets replaced with something that is (like GotG), then that's seen as OK or a win.

There are fans who think that turning Splash Mountain into a Zootopia based experience is a wonderful idea. These people have been raised on the current corporate strategy of synergy, where all ideas for attractions, consumer products and television come from the desire to promote the movie studio's brand projects. Would these same people embrace Horizons if it was built today? Probably not. To them "Disney World" is supposed to be a place where everything reminds you of a movie you've seen a hundred times before. Personally, I prefer the Disney theme park that isn't always a commercial for the film studio.

Great -- and I do mean great -- post. Look at what I just placed on the new thread about Iger supposedly having plans for EPCOT.

Disney fans have been conditioned to think that Disney is all about Disney IP, preferably current, and that every Disney parks should be the MK. It truly sickens me because, frankly, the MK is so ... so ... so ... tired, and overrated ... oh, and sticky ... every surface feels like a fanboi just got chased around by an Imagineer.

There are places were adding IP certainly makes sense. I love DAK, but one could easily argue for the placement of attractions or entertainment based on both Zootopia and Jungle Book. But no one with half a brain can argue for Frozen in EPCOT or destroying a chunk of DL for two SW rides.

But again, the war was waged and anyone who was Disney fan in the 90s or earlier lost.

We need to love Darth Vader and Thor because Bob Iger bought them (some of may have loved them before, but also understands where they do and do not belong).

If marvel would come to DHS does anyone know officially if universal will still keep its marvel properties? Latest I'm hearing reporting from screamscape could Universal transform Its Marvel land into a DC Land? Could it work? Leave the Tower of Terror alone please, in terms of changing it to GOTG.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I really dislike the "my kids find it boring". You do realize your precious one won't be a teenybopper forever. Will they hold that same nostalgic attachement that a parent did when they visited as a kid? It's about the experience and leaving an impression on you. It's why I never buy the argument that Epcot is boring. It's only boring if you let it be boring. Sure, something may not be all that interesting but not everything is going to appeal to everyone. People like to quote Walt and I always bring up the "if you aim for kids your dead" thing. I think Nemo is a good example at EPCOT. Turtle Talk with Crush was a fine addition to the Seas Pavilion. I actually don't even hate they put Nemo into the ride but the fact that it's basically "Where's Nemo" again is why it fails for me. It shows a lack of effort just to put something in there that appeals to the kiddos. And just assuming they would have found the previous attraction boring is doing it a disservice.

Exactly. Today's EPCOT is a bore, a terrible bore, largely. Please don't tell the EPCOT Explorer this as he is in his first year of being an APer so the fact he can go more than twice a year might be clouding his opinions on how sad the place is.

I can't see how today's Epcot could possibly inspire anyone in a measurable way. Not like EPCOT Center inspired in the 80s and 90s. There is a nice urban/CM/Fanboi/Lifestyler myth that people were bored to tears with EC in its glory ... I am sure some were, but there are plenty of people bored and disinterested in that amazing MK of today.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I really dislike the "my kids find it boring". You do realize your precious one won't be a teenybopper forever. Will they hold that same nostalgic attachement that a parent did when they visited as a kid? It's about the experience and leaving an impression on you. It's why I never buy the argument that Epcot is boring. It's only boring if you let it be boring. Sure, something may not be all that interesting but not everything is going to appeal to everyone. People like to quote Walt and I always bring up the "if you aim for kids your dead" thing. I think Nemo is a good example at EPCOT. Turtle Talk with Crush was a fine addition to the Seas Pavilion. I actually don't even hate they put Nemo into the ride but the fact that it's basically "Where's Nemo" again is why it fails for me. It shows a lack of effort just to put something in there that appeals to the kiddos. And just assuming they would have found the previous attraction boring is doing it a disservice.

Here's the deal I BECAME a Disney fan as a young teenager because it was such an amazing place, Yes I was a card carrying (or was that calculator) NERD but that first Disney visit I was a little kid again staring at the wonderful world around me.

Magenta Panther

Great -- and I do mean great -- post. Look at what I just placed on the new thread about Iger supposedly having plans for EPCOT.

Disney fans have been conditioned to think that Disney is all about Disney IP, preferably current, and that every Disney parks should be the MK. It truly sickens me because, frankly, the MK is so ... so ... so ... tired, and overrated ... oh, and sticky ... every surface feels like a fanboi just got chased around by an Imagineer.

There are places were adding IP certainly makes sense. I love DAK, but one could easily argue for the placement of attractions or entertainment based on both Zootopia and Jungle Book. But no one with half a brain can argue for Frozen in EPCOT or destroying a chunk of DL for two SW rides.

But again, the war was waged and anyone who was Disney fan in the 90s or earlier lost.

We need to love Darth Vader and Thor because Bob Iger bought them (some of may have loved them before, but also understands where they do and do not belong).

For my part, while I do think that Vader is one of the best cinematic villains ever created, I left him behind in my affections long ago. Probably the prequels didn't help. As for Marvel, I think that every one of its characters is absurd and ridiculous, with the possible exception of Spiderman, who at least has an interesting creation story. The rest of them can go hang. Hulk in particular. A green guy on megasterioids, yeesh. When he's fully inflated, he looks like he ought to be parading down New York's 34th street in some creepy Thanksgiving parade.

And now Iger's purchases are infesting the parks like a disease. It still ticks me off that the Animation Courtyard has been taken over by Star Wars. And it's not just Iger's purchases that are defacing the parks, it's his or some dipwad's decisions - One Man's Dream...well, to heck with Walt's story, let's use that theater for commercials for upcoming films. My god. Iger is a pestilence, a Saruman with his very own Wormtongue, Chapek. Will things get better once Iger leaves? CAN they get better, if what he does degrades the parks but makes money? It's hard to even have any hope anymore.

Last edited:

Wikkler

As for Marvel, I think that every one of its characters is absurd and ridiculous, with the possible exception of Spiderman, who at least has an interesting creation story.
Some people like absurd and ridiculous. It was part of the fun of superheroes before they became gritty permanently.

But really, I think you need to take a look at DC if you think only Marvel's capable of that.
Superman, the most boring superhero. His weakness is a glowing green rock. The rest of the time he can just fly and use super strength and all of that.
Aquaman, the pathetic superhero. How many crimes happen underwater? Not many.

Magenta Panther

Some people like absurd and ridiculous. It was part of the fun of superheroes before they became gritty permanently.

But really, I think you need to take a look at DC if you think only Marvel's capable of that.
Superman, the most boring superhero. His weakness is a glowing green rock. The rest of the time he can just fly and use super strength and all of that.
Aquaman, the pathetic superhero. How many crimes happen underwater? Not many.

Actually, I'm not pitting Marvel against DC. I think superheroes in general are absurd, and really don't belong in any Disney park. The exceptions would perhaps be the Incredibles and Big Hero Six, because of being created/adapted by the Disney/Pixar studios. Again, this is just my opinion.

Magenta Panther

This is something people keep sending me notes on (BTW, I realize I owe about 35 of you notes at this point and I am sorry, but life has gotten in the way of fun time, so ... you'll get them when I can. Sorry!)

I have no confirmation that a bar is being built at ToT. If it indeed is, then all it means is with 60% of The Corpse of The Disney-MGM Studios now unavailable for Guest usage that Disney needs a place to add booze sales it feels it is losing.
I doubt very much that this bar is going to be themed to the TZ or 1939-Hollywood in any significant way. I also think that one project was happening at the same point as the other with no clue whatsoever between teams because this is how Disney operates.

There's also the rumor posted in "Guardians of the Rock?" thread that TDO is considering retheming Rockn'RollerCoaster to GotG instead. I hope that's true. It'd still be lame, but vastly preferable to the alternative.

imperius

If marvel would come to DHS does anyone know officially if universal will still keep its marvel properties? Latest I'm hearing reporting from screamscape could Universal transform Its Marvel land into a DC Land? Could it work? Leave the Tower of Terror alone please, in terms of changing it to GOTG.
Universal is keeping the Marvel rights for a long time and DC is owned by WB and is in Six Flags. Also, don't believe anything from screamscape.

Cesar R M

That's were we differ. The meet and greets are part of the experience. On my last trip, Princess Jasmine was very complimentary about my beard, because she clearly has excellent taste. Also, this was a thing that happened.

View attachment 139132

This picture is a long, complicated, obscure joke that no one will get, and I don't care because I love it to bits.
That book almost seems like one of these joke images to anger ultra conservative fanboys...

like this one..
nerdhatelol.jpg

I mean.. you have Gargoyles and theres clearly a R2D2... and light saber...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom