Marvel Characters at Kings Island

lebeau

You can get amazing costumes online for anywhere from $1K - $3K a pop, and they pay for themselves after booking just a few appearances. You'd be amazed at how much these cottage industry princess people can rake in.

That could be it. They are in a nice suburb. Probably just finished entertaining at a birthday party or something.

lebeau

I thought The King's Island/King's Dominion Parks were own by Paramount, who also still owns some piece of the Marvel studios films (Ironman, Thor, Cap America, Avengers ect...) maybe that's the loop hole

They were sold to Cedar Fair around 4-5 years ago.

seascape

That would be for character not covered by:

i.East of The Mississippi - any other theme park is limited to using characters not currently being used by MCA at the time such other license is granted. [For purpose of this subsection and subsection iv, a character is “being used by MCA” if (x) it or another character of the same “family” (e.g., any member of THE FANTASTIC FOUR, THE AVENGERS or villains associated with a hero being used) is more than an incidental element of an attraction, is presented as a costumed character, or is more than an incidental element of the theming of a retail store or food facility; and, (y) in addition, if such character or another character from the same “family” is an element in any MCA marketing during the previous year. Any character who is only used as a costume character will not be considered to be “being used by MCA” unless it appears as more than an incidental element in MCA’s marketing.]
This section starts with,East of The Mississippi - any other theme park is limited to using characters not currently being used by MCA at the time such other license is granted. The world limited is excluded. The section then goes on the exclusion and right Marvel still has to use the characters. I know you may not like it but there are cases where marvel still has the rights to use them. However they are specifically excluded from using them in a Disney parks in the east.

And you still do not want to deal with the shrinkage issue.

a. After such 2 year period, MCA’s exclusive rights will be subject to “shrinkage” or “expansion” as follows:

1. If no action is taken by MCA, such exclusivity shall be limited as follows:

i. East of The Mississippi - any other theme park is limited to using characters not currently being used by MCA at the time such other license is granted. [For purpose of this subsection and subsection iv, a character is “being used by MCA” if (x) it or another character of the same “family” (e.g., any member of THE FANTASTIC FOUR, THE AVENGERS or villains associated with a hero being used) is more than an incidental element of an attraction, is presented as a costumed character, or is more than an incidental element of the theming of a retail store or food facility; and, (y) in addition, if such character or another character from the same “family” is an element in any MCA marketing during the previous year. Any character who is only used as a costume character will not be considered to be “being used by MCA” unless it appears as more than an incidental element in MCA’s marketing.]

ii. West of The Mississippi - any other theme park may use any Marvel characters whether or not used by MCA.

iii. East or West of The Mississippi - permitted uses shall be limited to the use of specific Marvel characters and Marvel may not permit a licensee to use the name “Marvel” as part of the attraction name or marketing.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
This section starts with,East of The Mississippi - any other theme park is limited to using characters not currently being used by MCA at the time such other license is granted. The world limited is excluded. The section then goes on the exclusion and right Marvel still has to use the characters. I know you may not like it but there are cases where marvel still has the rights to use them. However they are specifically excluded from using them in a Disney parks in the east.

a. After such 2 year period, MCA’s exclusive rights will be subject to “shrinkage” or “expansion” as follows:

1. If no action is taken by MCA, such exclusivity shall be limited as follows:

i. East of The Mississippi - any other theme park is limited to using characters not currently being used by MCA at the time such other license is granted. [For purpose of this subsection and subsection iv, a character is “being used by MCA” if (x) it or another character of the same “family” (e.g., any member of THE FANTASTIC FOUR, THE AVENGERS or villains associated with a hero being used) is more than an incidental element of an attraction, is presented as a costumed character, or is more than an incidental element of the theming of a retail store or food facility; and, (y) in addition, if such character or another character from the same “family” is an element in any MCA marketing during the previous year. Any character who is only used as a costume character will not be considered to be “being used by MCA” unless it appears as more than an incidental element in MCA’s marketing.]

ii. West of The Mississippi - any other theme park may use any Marvel characters whether or not used by MCA.

iii. East or West of The Mississippi - permitted uses shall be limited to the use of specific Marvel characters and Marvel may not permit a licensee to use the name “Marvel” as part of the attraction name or marketing.

The word "Disney" shows up exactly one time in the contract and it's specifically about the marketing of a Marvel Action Universe.

"
No The Marvel Action Universe shall be in or marketed in conjunction with any themed entertainment areas owned, operated or marketed by Disney, Time-Warner, Six Flags, Sony, Paramount or Busch. As used herein, “theme park” and “themed entertainment areas” shall not include, inter alia, facilities or complexes where at least 70% of the revenues generated on the premises are derived from retail sales or whose primary source of revenue is lodging (which may include food, beverage and gaming revenues).
"

seascape

This has to be the favorite section of the contract for all the universal fans.

iii. No The Marvel Action Universe shall be in or marketed in conjunction with any themed entertainment areas owned, operated or marketed by Disney, Time-Warner, Six Flags, Sony, Paramount or Busch. As used herein, “theme park” and “themed entertainment areas” shall not include, inter alia, facilities or complexes where at least 70% of the revenues generated on the premises are derived from retail sales or whose primary source of revenue is lodging (which may include food, beverage and gaming revenues).

seascape

The word "Disney" shows up exactly one time in the contract and it's specifically about the marketing of a Marvel Action Universe.

"
No The Marvel Action Universe shall be in or marketed in conjunction with any themed entertainment areas owned, operated or marketed by Disney, Time-Warner, Six Flags, Sony, Paramount or Busch. As used herein, “theme park” and “themed entertainment areas” shall not include, inter alia, facilities or complexes where at least 70% of the revenues generated on the premises are derived from retail sales or whose primary source of revenue is lodging (which may include food, beverage and gaming revenues).
"
You beat me to it. But I left it up because I know how much the uni fans love it.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
This has to be the favorite section of the contract for all the universal fans.

iii. No The Marvel Action Universe shall be in or marketed in conjunction with any themed entertainment areas owned, operated or marketed by Disney, Time-Warner, Six Flags, Sony, Paramount or Busch. As used herein, “theme park” and “themed entertainment areas” shall not include, inter alia, facilities or complexes where at least 70% of the revenues generated on the premises are derived from retail sales or whose primary source of revenue is lodging (which may include food, beverage and gaming revenues).

I don't see why anyone, including Uni fans, would care about this since a Marvel Action Universe was never built.

lazyboy97o

I don't see why anyone, including Uni fans, would care about this since a Marvel Action Universe was never built.
And even if Marvel sought to revive the concept and they even get around the restrictions on placing them at theme parks, since Cedar Fair has long said they run amusement parks, there is still another big hurdle to placing them at Cedar Fair parks. The CFO of The Walt Disney Company and the CEO of Cedar Fair do not like each other.

Last edited:

lebeau

No one wants to deal with the shrinkage issue.

shrinkage.jpg

Captain Chaos

People, I beg you, please stop feeding him. You have been down this road with him 1000 times already. It won't sink into his thick skull the 1001th time. Let him think he knows it all. Let him think he knows better. Let him think Uni fans are bent out of shape and ed off over this. He looks more the fool than he already does if you all just ignore him. You are giving him what he wants. Please, for all that is good, IGNORE HIM!!!!

lebeau

And even if Marvel sought to revive the concept and they even get around the restrictions on placing them at theme parks, since Cedar Fair has long said they run amusement parks, there is still another big hurdle to placing them at Cedar Fair parks. The CFO of The Walt Disney Company and the CEO of Cedar Fair do not like each other.

Also, Cedar Fair doesn't seem to want to acquire any more licenses. They ditched the Nickelodeon license as soon as they could. The ditched Scooby Doo as soon as it expired. They are happy with the relatively inexpensive Peanuts rights. I don't think they would be interested in whatever it would cost to have Marvel in their parks on a permanent basis.

This is a 4-hour meet and greet. People shouldn't be making a lot out of it.

Captain Chaos

This is a 4-hour meet and greet. People shouldn't be making a lot out of it.
What is that saying? Give them an inch and they will take a yard, or something like that? Where does Universal draw the line in regards to their rights and violations of the contract? IF they had no say in this 4 hour meet and greet, should they just let it go? Or should they protect their rights? Where does it end?

What if this 4 hour meet and greet is so successful, KI decides, WOW LET'S GET MORE MARVEL IN HERE.. CHA-CHING!!! Where is the line drawn?

lebeau

What is that saying? Give them an inch and they will take a yard, or something like that? Where does Universal draw the line in regards to their rights and violations of the contract? IF they had no say in this 4 hour meet and greet, should they just let it go? Or should they protect their rights? Where does it end?

What if this 4 hour meet and greet is so successful, KI decides, WOW LET'S GET MORE MARVEL IN HERE.. CHA-CHING!!! Where is the line drawn?

My guess is Universal probably allowed it.

I seriously doubt KI sought this out. It's probably part of some promotion. Right now we have a giant Kraft Macaroni noodle in front of the Eiffel Tower. I'm sure Cedar Fair got paid for that. This is probably something similar.

kraft.jpg

GiveMeTheMusic

My guess is Universal probably allowed it.

I seriously doubt KI sought this out. It's probably part of some promotion. Right now we have a giant Kraft Macaroni noodle in front of the Eiffel Tower. I'm sure Cedar Fair got paid for that. This is probably something similar.

kraft.jpg

I do not miss Kings Island.

lebeau

I do not miss Kings Island.

Awwwww.

It's good for what it is. For 6 months out of the year, I have a fun place to take the kids and it only costs $90 per person for a season pass.

It's a regional amusement park which is a completely different beast than a resort like Disney or Universal. If they can make a few bucks with a giant yellow noodle, so be it. Maybe that keeps the price of my season pass under $100. There's not a lot of immersion there to spoil.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom