Trip Report Making Lemonade out of Lemons Fractal Family Trip Report - Completed

I think we can all agree that so far 2020 has been one big sour lemon.

For those that did not read my Pre-Trip report; my entire family (Val-wife, Alex - oldest daughter, Sterg - son, Toni - youngest daughter) has recovered from the Covid-19 virus. Myself, Val, Sterg and Toni got it in March and Alex in April while working as a nurse. Val had it worse with a fever for a couple days and flu like symptoms for about a week. The rest of us were either asymptomatic or had minor symptoms.

Add to that the mental stress of living in a society dealing with this pandemic, Toni missing out on a big chunk of her High School Senior Year and her last dance recital (where she was going to take on a major role as Jasmine), work reductions for Sterg and high stress work conditions for Alex on the front line. Yes, 2020 has sure been one big sourpuss.

But, as the saying goes; "When life gives you lemons, make lemonade!"

It just so happened that last year I made a reservation to attend the annual AHEPA convention in Walt Disney World, just as I did in 2017. We were going to stay at the Grand Destino Towers but that seemed very much in jeopardy when AHEPA (which is a charitable organization I'm involved with. Like a Greek version of the Knights of Columbus or Lions Club.) cancelled their convention. Soon after however, I received an email that Disney would honor our reservation in July. This was pretty tempting since we had convention rates and discounts on tickets. Long story short, we decided to go. We felt that having already had the virus gave us an extra level of protection and we knew that Disney would handle the health risks properly. In addition, we later found out that our rooms were moved from Grand Destino to the Contemporary in order to accommodate the LA Lakers and Milwaukee Bucks. Sterg's and my dream of playing Marco Polo with the Greek Freak and LeBron James in the pool were quickly dashed. But who could say no to staying at The Contemporary for $175 a night?

We were a go! It was frustrating however because although we had a resort reservation we did not have park tickets. We also didn't have a "park pass" which was needed during this reopening of WDW. We had to wait for all that to open and I had serious doubts it would by the time our first day at the resort (July 20th) rolled around. I decided to book flights without tickets or park passes. Southwest had roundtrip flights from Philly to Orlando for $90 plus if you had to cancel you got that credit for a future flight. No brainer. This was turning out to be the cheapest Disney trip we have taken as a family! Soon after I was open to buy tickets and book Park Passes. We had started to squeeze that lemon and add it's juice to our pitcher of cold water.

Now for the Cast of our adventure.

Myself - Chris/Fractal. A lover of Disney Parks for the many memories it has given me over the years with my family, the way it helps me completely unwind from my job, and how it taps into my creative side and challenges my skills as a photographer.

Here I am with my crazy kids at Christmas.

MVIMG_20191224_220836-XL.jpg

Val - my beautiful wife. Not the biggest fan of Disney but in the end she was on board. I think secretly she likes it more than she lets on. I will make it up to her with a trip more to her liking.

Here she is with Alex.

00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20180816202048133_COVER-XL.jpg

Alex - our oldest. Now a traveling nurse. Alex is like me in many ways but as she's getting older and more responsible I'm starting to see her take on a number of Val's traits. She's a good mix and always a delight to be with.

From a trip to Colorado we took last year;

DSC00630-XL.jpg

Sterg, aka Fractal Jr. One word to describe Sterg - catalyst - he just makes things happen. He creates reactions both good and bad. He graduated last year from Penn State. He was a captain on the Swim Team but not without drama. He had to miss his promising senior year of swimming when a series of concussions (all outside the water) forced him to medically retire. PSU handled it very well as he helped the team from the sidelines. He now works as a digital marketing consultant as well as helping his cousin get his music career off the ground. Never a dull moment when Sterg is around!

with our dog Prince (Charming).

20200706-DSC06336-X2.jpg

Toni - For long time readers of my reports you know that Toni and I have a special Disney connection. Many times she would be the only one up early with me to tackle the parks at opening. We have had many great adventures together in the Disney bubble. She's now technically an adult (how did that happen?) so I was going to find out this trip if the magic was still there. She's going to attend Clemson University starting next month and I couldn't be prouder.

Toni in front of the Theater her Recital was supposed to perform at.

20200616-DSC05993-X3.jpg

So Covid-19 made our family suffer in many ways, but we took that lemon, squeezed it's juice out into our water pitcher, now we just needed a little Disney sugar to make our Lemonade complete.

Coming up - Our trip begins with a WDW meet-up before our flight even leaves the ground!

fractal

Original Poster
On the way to Norway...

DSC09751-X3.jpg

Always willing to pose, in stark contrast to the teenage versions of her sister and brother.

DSC09752-X3.jpg

I remember my trip to Disneyland with Sterg as a teenager in 2012 (from my trip report). It was as if he thought the camera would suck the soul out of his body!

2012JO%27s%20497-X3.jpg

2012JO%27s%20045-X2.jpg

Making our way...

DSC09754-X3.jpg

DSC09755-X3.jpg

Finally got to Norway!

DSC09756-X3.jpg

DSC09758-X3.jpg

Soon after, we were entering a different World...

DSC09761-X3.jpg

Last edited:

fractal

Original Poster
How can you not smile?

DSC09765-X3.jpg

Love the rock trolls.

DSC09769-X3.jpg

DSC09774-X3.jpg

I said this in my last trip report - the projection mapping on the faces of the animatronics sometimes does not translate well in photos. At least this time I didn't have my electronic shutter on.

DSC09777-X3.jpg

This would have been a much better ride for Alex to go on.

DSC09781-X3.jpg

DSC09782-X3.jpg

Except for maybe the lyrics.

DSC09783-X3.jpg

and maybe this part...

DSC09785-X3.jpg

DSC09786-X3.jpg

Hi little guys!

DSC09790-X3.jpg

First time saw him steam up.

DSC09791-X3.jpg

DSC09792-X3.jpg

A farewell from the sisters; and from Olaf.

DSC09796-X3.jpg

DSC09799-X3.jpg

DSC09801-X3.jpg

As we exited Frozen we were notified that Alex and Sterg were in Spice Road and seated. I forgot to note that we had a later reservation and wanted to move it to an earlier time but none were available according to the My Disney app. Before we headed to Norway I asked the manager of Spice Road if we could be seated earlier. He turned to show me the empty restaurant and said "come as early as you want".

Last edited:

fractal

Original Poster
Hustling back;

DSC09803-X3.jpg

DSC09804-X3.jpg

DSC09806-X3.jpg

DSC09808-X3.jpg

almost there...

DSC09811-X3.jpg

Our table was inside by the window. Perfect.

DSC09812-X3.jpg

Alex had that glazed look on her face and after some back and forth it was decided that the best course of action was to take her back to the resort. Val volunteered and then insisted to do so despite really wanting to eat at this restaurant. So off they went through World Showcase and back to the Contemporary.

Happier times with Val and Alex in World Showcase circa 2011...

vc-35-X2.jpg

Might as well take some more unnecessary pictures.

DSC09814-X3.jpg

Even a picture of me!

DSC09817-X3.jpg

I ordered a Casa beer which I found to be very refreshing.

DSC09820-X3.jpg

As we were going through our photographic exercise and trying to figure out what to eat a couple walked in. I recognized them from this site and from following on Instagram.

"I think I know you" @dclfan said to me.

"I think I know you too." I replied.

"Are you fractal?"

"Yes I am. Are you Mrs. Foxymeatball?"
I replied awkwardly.

Everything is so freaking weird in our Covid world. Normally I would have gotten up and given them both a hug but I did offer @dclfan and her husband Jerome a seat at our table.
Sterg and Toni thought that this was all great. "Oh my gosh...this is so crazy." kind of stuff.

We had the waitress take a group picture.

IMG_20200723_183058-X3.jpg

Then we talked Disney and Covid and some funny stories. @dclfan told us she saw and recognized Val a little while ago and asked "Where's Fractal?" but she just kept marching.
We surmised that was when she was solo and with one thought on her mind. "I'm going on Soarin' dammit even if I have to go by myself."

Val doesn't remember this but does remember seeing @dclfan because she really liked her skirt. Actually we were just talking about this the other night. :D

We really enjoyed the conversation and the laughs with another pair of WDWmagic people and Disney fans! Another meetup in the books!

Screenshot_20200723-213037~2-L.png

Last edited:

fractal

Original Poster
It sounds like you are making the most of the World Showcase. One of these days I will make the big arc all in one day. I never seem to do that when I visit. I'm looking forward to your thoughts on Spice Road Table. I've never been.

Thumbs up for Spice Road!

I’ve been waiting to make an appearance 😂. It was so great to finally meet you and the family in person. Next time we will have to get drinks. Tell Val thank you it’s one of my favorite skirts too. It’s from Free People.

Pleasure was ours! Thanks again for the invite to meet you guys for drinks that night but as you can see it was a looong day - longer for some than others. :D I will pass that along!
Really enjoying this!! Your family adventures are so fun!

I spotted my family in your Italy pic! I'm in the purple tank and my daughter has the hot pink ears on! I saw you taking pictures in Germany but was too nervous to say hello :hilarious:

Oh I wish you would have said hi! Since I have a picture of you and your daughter we'll classify that as a "partial" meetup!

She'll get him good. 👍
Elsa is looking pretty green...did she go drinking around the world with Alex and Sterg?

That made me literally LOL!

JohnD

Hustling back;

DSC09803-X3.jpg

DSC09804-X3.jpg

DSC09806-X3.jpg

DSC09808-X3.jpg

almost there...

DSC09811-X3.jpg

Our table was inside by the window. Perfect.

DSC09812-X3.jpg

Alex had that glazed look on her face and after some back and forth it was decided that the best course of action was to take her back to the resort. Val volunteered and then insisted to do so despite really wanting to eat at this restaurant. So off they went through World Showcase and back to the Contemporary.

Happier times with Val and Alex in World Showcase circa 2011...

vc-35-X2.jpg

Might as well take some more unnecessary pictures.

DSC09814-X3.jpg

Even a picture of me!

DSC09817-X3.jpg

I ordered a Casa beer which I found to be very refreshing.

DSC09820-X3.jpg

As we were going through our photographic exercise and trying to figure out what to eat a couple walked in. I recognized them from this site and from following on Instagram.

"I think I know you" @dclfan said to me.

"I think I know you too." I replied.

"Are you fractal?"

"Yes I am. Are you Mrs. Foxymeatball?"
I replied awkwardly.

Everything is so freaking weird in our Covid world. Normally I would have gotten up and given them both a hug but I did offer @dclfan and her husband Jerome a seat at our table.
Sterg and Toni thought that this was all great. "Oh my gosh...this is so crazy." kind of stuff.

We had the waitress take a group picture.

IMG_20200723_183058-X3.jpg

Then we talked Disney and Covid and some funny stories. @dclfan told us she saw and recognized Val a little while ago and asked "Where's Fractal?" but she just kept marching.
We surmised that was when she was solo and with one thought on her mind. "I'm going on Soarin' dammit even if I have to go by myself."

Val doesn't remember this but does remember seeing @dclfan because she really liked her skirt. Actually we were just talking about this the other night. :D

We really enjoyed the conversation and the laughs with another pair of WDWmagic people and Disney fans! Another meetup in the books!

Screenshot_20200723-213037~2-L.png

Like your shirt. Have the same one. Reading your report gives me confidence I can still enjoy WDW even under COVID restrictions. How long was your trip, BTW?

fractal

Original Poster
The meal at Spice Road was almost as good as the company.

I enjoyed the kebab platter...

DSC09822-X3.jpg

And the kids both liked the lamb sliders.

DSC09823-X3.jpg

And the view wasn't bad either.

DSC09821-X3.jpg

This was the first time we ate in Morocco and I savored the Mediterranean feel to it.

We said goodbye to @dclfan and went outside for some more photos.

DSC09827-X2.jpg

Thumbs up for Spice Road!

DSC09829-X2.jpg

Tangerine Cafe was closed - maybe next time.

DSC09825-X2.jpg

Sterg wanted to go on Soarin' (dammit) so he and Toni took off back to The Land. I passed and instead ventured into Morocco with my camera.

Casablanca is one of my favorite movies and the pavilion immediately made me feel like I was on set. Anyone see Rick? I'm looking for some letters of transit.

DSC09831-X3.jpg

DSC09832-X3.jpg

Back to 2020 and reality. This gift shop drew me in initially because of it's color and beauty,

DSC09833-X3.jpg

with the distinct and pleasant aroma of incense keeping a spell on me. The photographic opportunities didn't hurt.

DSC09834-X3.jpg

DSC09835-X3.jpg

DSC09838-X3.jpg

I ended up finding and buying Val a bracelet and necklace and she ended up loving them both.

More photos.

DSC09837-X3.jpg

Besides the Cast member behind the register, I was the only one in the place.

DSC09839-X3.jpg

After I made my purchases I was off to explore more of Morocco...

Last edited:

newhorizons1

Oh no! Poor Alex on the Orange side of Mission:Space. A few years back we were on our last Epcot day during Flower & Garden. They had a cherry hard cider that is my favorite. I grabbed two orders of it and drank them on our way to MS. It was just my dad, my sister, and me. I was feeling those two ciders back to back and told them while we were waiting to board that their Commander (me) had been drinking. My sister said, “So has your pilot.” I honestly thought that if we were on the Orange side instead of Green I would have lost my lunch. I’m glad Alex at least made it through the ride part.

I love seeing the flashback photos incorporated into your trip. It is already making me sad and nostalgic for my two that haven’t had that big of a transformation yet.

fractal

Original Poster
Like your shirt. Have the same one. Reading your report gives me confidence I can still enjoy WDW even under COVID restrictions. How long was your trip, BTW?

Very comfortable shirt! Bought it in 2013 and still going strong. We were there for a week. Hope you get back soon!

@dclfan is really good at spotting people, she found me last year!

Heck, she even spotted Val!

Oh no! Poor Alex on the Orange side of Mission:Space. A few years back we were on our last Epcot day during Flower & Garden. They had a cherry hard cider that is my favorite. I grabbed two orders of it and drank them on our way to MS. It was just my dad, my sister, and me. I was feeling those two ciders back to back and told them while we were waiting to board that their Commander (me) had been drinking. My sister said, “So has your pilot.” I honestly thought that if we were on the Orange side instead of Green I would have lost my lunch. I’m glad Alex at least made it through the ride part.

I love seeing the flashback photos incorporated into your trip. It is already making me sad and nostalgic for my two that haven’t had that big of a transformation yet.

Not as glad as I am she made it through!

Enjoy the moments! They go fast, but don't be sad. You have so many wonderful things to look forward to and as I said in my last report; when you look back at the happy times they tend to make you cry and the bad times make you laugh.

fractal

Original Poster
Continuing through Morocco...

DSC09842-X3.jpg

DSC09843-X3.jpg

Quick Flashback to our 2015 one day trip to WDW with Alex & Toni.

DSC07730-X2.jpg

The Fez House always interested me. It's structure is designed to deal with the hot sun.

DSC09847-X3.jpg

Worked perfectly that day as it provided me some nice shade.

Loved the tile wall. The Morocco King apparently sent many craftsmen from his country to held build and maintain this pavilion and it shows.

DSC09846-X3.jpg

DSC09844-X3.jpg

DSC09852-X3.jpg

My next stop was Japan.

We spent some time here in 2011...

DSC01316-X3.jpg

Later in that trip we had dinner at Teppan Edo. Being back in the pavilion reminded me of a trick Sterg played on me that evening as we were waiting for the rest of the party to arrive to be seated. I was giggling to myself thinking about it. The kids had found out about my posting on WDWMagic and loved making fun of my "fractal" name.

This is from my Trip Report of that trip...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

We made our way to Japan and arrived at Teppon Edo 5 minutes before our reservation. Of course they wouldn't seat us until the entire party was there so we had to wait for Alex and Toni. I decided to leave the restaurant and flag them down as I saw them coming. I was waiting for them when my cell rang.

"Hello, This is Teppon Edo. You have reservation for 6:30" - the voice said in a convincing Japanese accent.

"Yes I do" I replied

"You have 5 people in party?" the voice asked.

"Yes, I said. We have checked in but are waiting for 2 more" I answered thinking; how did they get my cell number?

"Ah,yes. Is this the Fractal party?" the voice said.

"Eh, what?... Sterg!" I answered. Yes, my son got me good on this one. After the initial anger I really started to laugh -especially as I saw him above me at the top of the step howling. Freakin' teenagers!

Alex and Toni showed up and off we went to our Hibachi meal.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As you can see, Sterg playing tricks is nothing new. Perhaps we should start calling him Loki.

fractal

Original Poster
Photos from Japan - another beautiful pavilion.

DSC09853-X3.jpg

DSC09854-X3.jpg

DSC09856-X3.jpg

I spent some time in the garden; amazed at the detailed landscaping and the upkeep that must go with it.

DSC09858-X3.jpg

DSC09860-X3.jpg

DSC09861-X3.jpg

Time to leave Japan as dark skies approached.

DSC09865-X3.jpg

I then decided to head toward The Land to meet up with Sterg and Toni.

UP NEXT - One more meet-up for the day and ride togethers!/ Some night time photos!!!/A morning in Batuu

Minnesota disney fan

I love, love, the photos of Morocco! Casablanca is one of my favorite movies, too. The black and white photos really were awesome and looked like a movie set from Casablanca! I never spend as much time there as I would like, because the incense smell isn't something I like, but the shops are so beautiful. It is one of my favorite countries to visit in WS. Enjoying your trip report, and Sterg's prank:)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom