Trip Report Making Lemonade out of Lemons Fractal Family Trip Report - Completed

I think we can all agree that so far 2020 has been one big sour lemon.

For those that did not read my Pre-Trip report; my entire family (Val-wife, Alex - oldest daughter, Sterg - son, Toni - youngest daughter) has recovered from the Covid-19 virus. Myself, Val, Sterg and Toni got it in March and Alex in April while working as a nurse. Val had it worse with a fever for a couple days and flu like symptoms for about a week. The rest of us were either asymptomatic or had minor symptoms.

Add to that the mental stress of living in a society dealing with this pandemic, Toni missing out on a big chunk of her High School Senior Year and her last dance recital (where she was going to take on a major role as Jasmine), work reductions for Sterg and high stress work conditions for Alex on the front line. Yes, 2020 has sure been one big sourpuss.

But, as the saying goes; "When life gives you lemons, make lemonade!"

It just so happened that last year I made a reservation to attend the annual AHEPA convention in Walt Disney World, just as I did in 2017. We were going to stay at the Grand Destino Towers but that seemed very much in jeopardy when AHEPA (which is a charitable organization I'm involved with. Like a Greek version of the Knights of Columbus or Lions Club.) cancelled their convention. Soon after however, I received an email that Disney would honor our reservation in July. This was pretty tempting since we had convention rates and discounts on tickets. Long story short, we decided to go. We felt that having already had the virus gave us an extra level of protection and we knew that Disney would handle the health risks properly. In addition, we later found out that our rooms were moved from Grand Destino to the Contemporary in order to accommodate the LA Lakers and Milwaukee Bucks. Sterg's and my dream of playing Marco Polo with the Greek Freak and LeBron James in the pool were quickly dashed. But who could say no to staying at The Contemporary for $175 a night?

We were a go! It was frustrating however because although we had a resort reservation we did not have park tickets. We also didn't have a "park pass" which was needed during this reopening of WDW. We had to wait for all that to open and I had serious doubts it would by the time our first day at the resort (July 20th) rolled around. I decided to book flights without tickets or park passes. Southwest had roundtrip flights from Philly to Orlando for $90 plus if you had to cancel you got that credit for a future flight. No brainer. This was turning out to be the cheapest Disney trip we have taken as a family! Soon after I was open to buy tickets and book Park Passes. We had started to squeeze that lemon and add it's juice to our pitcher of cold water.

Now for the Cast of our adventure.

Myself - Chris/Fractal. A lover of Disney Parks for the many memories it has given me over the years with my family, the way it helps me completely unwind from my job, and how it taps into my creative side and challenges my skills as a photographer.

Here I am with my crazy kids at Christmas.

MVIMG_20191224_220836-XL.jpg

Val - my beautiful wife. Not the biggest fan of Disney but in the end she was on board. I think secretly she likes it more than she lets on. I will make it up to her with a trip more to her liking.

Here she is with Alex.

00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20180816202048133_COVER-XL.jpg

Alex - our oldest. Now a traveling nurse. Alex is like me in many ways but as she's getting older and more responsible I'm starting to see her take on a number of Val's traits. She's a good mix and always a delight to be with.

From a trip to Colorado we took last year;

DSC00630-XL.jpg

Sterg, aka Fractal Jr. One word to describe Sterg - catalyst - he just makes things happen. He creates reactions both good and bad. He graduated last year from Penn State. He was a captain on the Swim Team but not without drama. He had to miss his promising senior year of swimming when a series of concussions (all outside the water) forced him to medically retire. PSU handled it very well as he helped the team from the sidelines. He now works as a digital marketing consultant as well as helping his cousin get his music career off the ground. Never a dull moment when Sterg is around!

with our dog Prince (Charming).

20200706-DSC06336-X2.jpg

Toni - For long time readers of my reports you know that Toni and I have a special Disney connection. Many times she would be the only one up early with me to tackle the parks at opening. We have had many great adventures together in the Disney bubble. She's now technically an adult (how did that happen?) so I was going to find out this trip if the magic was still there. She's going to attend Clemson University starting next month and I couldn't be prouder.

Toni in front of the Theater her Recital was supposed to perform at.

20200616-DSC05993-X3.jpg

So Covid-19 made our family suffer in many ways, but we took that lemon, squeezed it's juice out into our water pitcher, now we just needed a little Disney sugar to make our Lemonade complete.

Coming up - Our trip begins with a WDW meet-up before our flight even leaves the ground!

fractal

Original Poster
I'm just catching up on everything after being away for a week. I can't believe how empty AK was for you! How many times did you ride Everest that day? I lost count! Your photos are wonderful and it's so great you have so many and write TR's so you can look back on wonderful memories with your family!

I love how Toni is your early-morning buddy, what fun memories! I can understand how Val feels like she exposed her kids to Disney and wanted to move on. My hubby grew up going there, I fell in love with it through him. I'm sure there are many other places to take a young family, and I'm sure we will have other adventures besides Disney but it's so nice to know we have a Disney home with DVC now.

I think some of my favorite Disney memories are the impromptu ones, which makes dinner with @coachwnh and family special. Of course, it sounds like you all made the most of it and enjoyed the lively sing along and camaraderie with friends.

Hope it was for pleasure!

I lost count too. Could have probably rode it 50 times!

Thank you!

Yes, on other adventures - but always has a spot for Disney!

We really did have fun with them - Having many things in common really helped!

Sounds like a blast so far.

Yep!

Love the awesome pics. They look as good as always.

Thank you @LF85 !
I know you're sick of hearing this, but your photos are outstanding!!! :happy:

Particularly liked your comment about the lighting in SSE, for that first group of photos. Lighting is critically important to a theme, and I never really thought much about it (even though I've been on SSE so many times over the years). But, that's why you're the professional photographer, and I'm just a rank amateur! :p

P.S.: Bummer that the post-show was closed, but I guess they were trying to discourage people from congregating in there -- might be hard to social distance groups.

I promise to never get sick of hearing that - thank you!

:)

there were certain things or areas during this trip that we surreal - that was one of them!

It is just a refurbishment, but it is a pretty intense one, though it's been postponed indefinitely now, so who knows if and when it will happen. But it wouldn't be a completely different attraction. They would update the scenes, add some new ones, and there would be a different narration added. So new and different, but not a complete replacement.

Makes sense. I'm ready for a change so I hope it's a worthy one!

fractal

Original Poster
Our thirsty globetrotters made it to Italy.

Screenshot_20200827-140549~2-XL.png

While we were now undersea. And alone!

20200723-DSC09673-X3.jpg

20200723-DSC09674-X3.jpg

Since it was so long again that I rode Nemo, it was like a new ride for us. I remember not being impressed with it but not much else.

20200723-DSC09676-X3.jpg

This time however I actually was enjoying this nautical trip.

20200723-DSC09679-X3.jpg

20200723-DSC09681-X3.jpg

The fisheye gave some interesting perspective but could have used a faster lens.

Dude....

20200723-DSC09685-X3.jpg

Both Toni and I enjoyed Nemo and glad we took the time to revisit.

Sea Base Alpha (or whatever they now call it) had more activity than I anticipated.

20200723-DSC09690-X3.jpg

At least some parts did.

20200723-DSC09691-X3.jpg

After exploring like good explorers, we made our way back outside.

20200723-DSC09694-X3.jpg

Of course I had to take some photos of SSE.

20200723-DSC09695-X3.jpg

20200723-DSC09696-X3.jpg

20200723-DSC09699-X3.jpg

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
Our thirsty globetrotters made it to Italy.

Screenshot_20200827-140549~2-XL.png

While we were now undersea. And alone!

20200723-DSC09673-X3.jpg

20200723-DSC09674-X3.jpg

Since it was so long again that I rode Nemo, it was like a new ride for us. I remember not being impressed with it but not much else.

20200723-DSC09676-X3.jpg

This time however I actually was enjoying this nautical trip.

20200723-DSC09679-X3.jpg

20200723-DSC09681-X3.jpg

The fisheye gave some interesting perspective but could have used a faster lens.

Dude....

20200723-DSC09685-X3.jpg

Both Toni and I enjoyed Nemo and glad we took the time to revisit.

Sea Base Alpha (or whatever they now call it) had more activity than I anticipated.

20200723-DSC09690-X3.jpg

At least some parts did.

20200723-DSC09691-X3.jpg

After exploring like good explorers, we made our way back outside.

20200723-DSC09694-X3.jpg

Of course I had to take some photos of SSE.

20200723-DSC09695-X3.jpg

20200723-DSC09696-X3.jpg

20200723-DSC09699-X3.jpg
Is that Rosa Regale I see in the hands of the Thirsty Globetrotters? :geek: That's my favorite wine at Italy's Pavillion!

Songbird76

Hope it was for pleasure!

I lost count too. Could have probably rode it 50 times!

Thank you!

Yes, on other adventures - but always has a spot for Disney!

We really did have fun with them - Having many things in common really helped!

Yep!

Thank you @LF85 !

I promise to never get sick of hearing that - thank you!

:)

there were certain things or areas during this trip that we surreal - that was one of them!

Makes sense. I'm ready for a change so I hope it's a worthy one!
Yeah, I love SSE...it's a classic, but it could definitely use an update. But from what they said in the articles I read, it would be the same thing, just with updated scenes and some new ones thrown in, and a new voiceover track. It was supposed to take 2 years, and they wanted it done for Disneyworld's 50th, I thought? But then Covid happened, and they stopped all the current projects, and opened SSE back up. It had been closed or was set to close and now they said they are putting that off. My guess is that they have to be pretty selective about projects now after having been closed for several months, world wide, and they lost a lot of revenue. They can't afford to invest in as much. But that's just speculation on my part, not something they have said that I know of. But I hope it's not completely off the table....I hope they'll get to it eventually and they don't just decide it's not worth saving and scrap it all together. That would make me soooo sad.

fractal

Original Poster
While we were looking for Nemo, a Florida downpour hit Epcot.

That didn't seem to stop the Party Trio in World Showcase.

Screenshot_20200827-140453~2-XL.png

Somewhere after the 6th or 7th drink they decided to split up. Sterg and Alex reversed course back towards Test Track (and to get ANOTHER margarita at Mexico since Sterg missed that) while Val decided she wanted to ride Soarin' dammit even it was by herself. Why did they do this? Sometimes after a few drinks even the most illogical things seem to be perfectly rational.

Toni and I decided to make our way back to The Land and cut Val off at the Soarin' Exit path.

20200723-DSC09700-X3.jpg

But first - a few more photos.

20200723-DSC09701-X3.jpg

I know the four letter word that's repeating in your brain right now...

20200723-DSC09702-X3.jpg

Back in The Land.

20200723-DSC09704-X3.jpg

We found a convenient bench right at the Soarin' exit.

Toni's collection of bracelets...

20200723-DSC09706-X3.jpg

Finally we spot Val who was moving like she was on a mission.

20200723-DSC09707-X3.jpg

We all agree to head next door to Living with the Land.

20200723-DSC09708-X3.jpg

I haven't had much success photographing the "dark part" of this ride in the past. This time I was armed with a more appropriate lens - 55mm 1.8.

20200723-DSC09715-X3.jpg

20200723-DSC09719-X3.jpg

20200723-DSC09721-X3.jpg

As we were floating through our horticultural adventure Val was giving us a recap of drinking around the world. I was only then starting to add up the number of times those cute little magic bands were "dinging" at the payment scanner multiplied by the number of drinks 3 people had at 7 different spots. "Oh yeah, in Italy we actually had 2 drinks" Val added. "ChaChing" sounded in my head. And I didn't even have a drink!

At least I had my photography to somewhat ease my mind.

"I'm sure the alcohol bill won't be too baaaaaaadddddd." I mistakenly thought.

20200723-DSC09722-X3.jpg

I really like how this photo came out.

Hey Mister Scarecrow, when your shift's over go grab a drink in Canada. It's on me.

20200723-DSC09723-X3.jpg

Last edited:

dclfan

While we were looking for Nemo, a Florida downpour hit Epcot.

That didn't seem to stop the Party Trio in World Showcase.

Screenshot_20200827-140453~2-XL.png

Somewhere after the 6th or 7th drink they decided to split up. Sterg and Alex reversed course back towards Test Track (and to get ANOTHER margarita at Mexico since Sterg missed that) while Val decided she wanted to ride Soarin' dammit even it was by herself. Why did they do this? Sometimes after a few drinks even the most illogical things seem to be perfectly rational.

Toni and I decided to make our way back to The Land and cut Val off at the Soarin' Exit path.

20200723-DSC09700-X3.jpg

But first - a few more photos.

20200723-DSC09701-X3.jpg

I know the four letter word that repeating in your brain right now...

20200723-DSC09702-X3.jpg

Back in The Land.

20200723-DSC09704-X3.jpg

We found a convenient bench right at the Soarin' exit.

20200723-DSC09706-X3.jpg

Finally we spot Val who was moving like she was on a mission.

20200723-DSC09707-X3.jpg

We all agree to head next door to Living with the Land.

20200723-DSC09708-X3.jpg

I haven't had much success photographing the "dark part" of this ride in the past. This time I was armed with a more appropriate lens - 55mm 1.8.

20200723-DSC09715-X3.jpg

20200723-DSC09719-X3.jpg

20200723-DSC09721-X3.jpg

As we were floating through our horticultural adventure Val was giving us a recap of drinking around the world. I was only then starting to add up the number of times those cute little magic bands were "dinging" at the payment scanner times the number of drinks 3 people had at 7 different spots. "Oh yeah, it Italy we actually had 2 drinks" Val added. "ChaChing" sounded in my head. And I didn't even have a drink!

At least I had my photography to somewhat ease my mind.

"I'm sure the alcohol bill won't be too baaaaaaadddddd." I mistakenly thought.

20200723-DSC09722-X3.jpg

I really like how this photo came out.

Hey Mister Scarecrow, when your shift's over go grab a drink in Canada. It's on me.

20200723-DSC09723-X3.jpg
Me and Jerome just did some quick “drink around the world” math and got very concerned for you. Not to say that we haven’t been there ourselves though 😬. F&W 2018 was not kind to our wallets.

fractal

Original Poster
Can't decide if I'm enjoying the throwback photos or magic meetups more! ♥♥

:) 👍
Is that Rosa Regale I see in the hands of the Thirsty Globetrotters? :geek: That's my favorite wine at Italy's Pavillion!

Never had it - only paid for others to indulge. :D
Aaaaaaawwwwwwww, you enjoyed some SEA time! I like the Nemo ride, it's cute but just a nice chance to relax for a spell!
Like you, I LOVE Soarin'! I don't tend to notice the feet above me/in my view but it was funny to look at them in your pictures!

Agree on both fronts.

Yeah, I love SSE...it's a classic, but it could definitely use an update. But from what they said in the articles I read, it would be the same thing, just with updated scenes and some new ones thrown in, and a new voiceover track. It was supposed to take 2 years, and they wanted it done for Disneyworld's 50th, I thought? But then Covid happened, and they stopped all the current projects, and opened SSE back up. It had been closed or was set to close and now they said they are putting that off. My guess is that they have to be pretty selective about projects now after having been closed for several months, world wide, and they lost a lot of revenue. They can't afford to invest in as much. But that's just speculation on my part, not something they have said that I know of. But I hope it's not completely off the table....I hope they'll get to it eventually and they don't just decide it's not worth saving and scrap it all together. That would make me soooo sad.

Time will tell.
The look on @fractal's face when he gets the drink bill...

View attachment 494101

Lol! pretty close!
Me and Jerome just did some quick “drink around the world” math and got very concerned for you. Not to say that we haven’t been there ourselves though 😬. F&W 2018 was not kind to our wallets.

$15 per drink does add up rather quickly. :in pain:
I’m starting to feel better about my wife’s Dooney collection.

Yeah, at least you have something to show for it!

Last edited:

fractal

Original Poster
More Living with the Land.

20200723-DSC09725-X3.jpg

20200723-DSC09727-X3.jpg

20200723-DSC09729-X3.jpg

Update from Sterg - "We are going on Test Track".

"Great!"
I thought. "A temporary stop of the bleeding from my wallet."

20200723-DSC09730-X3.jpg

Toni was enjoying the ride and I really enjoyed spending the morning (mostly) with her in Future World.

20200723-DSC09731-X3.jpg

It again reminded me of our previous morning adventures together...

_DSC5943-X3.jpg

More hidden Mickeys; and Val was actually spotting them!

DSC09735-X3.jpg

DSC09738-X3.jpg

As we departed The Land another update from my two oldest - they were heading to Mission Space.

"Hmmm" I thought. "Alex never goes on that ride."

For the uninitiated, here is how Mission Space works (Orange)...

"The attraction is a multiple-arm centrifuge that achieves the illusion of acceleration by spinning and tilting sealed capsules during the four-minute "mission"... The attraction exposes riders to forces up to 2.5G, more than twice the force of gravity at the Earth's surface (effectively multiplying a rider's weight by 2.5). A few months after the ride's opening, motion sickness bags were added within easy reach of riders.[7] "

Basically it's a giant human clothes dryer.
One can use one's imagination.

DSC09739-X3.jpg

As the story goes, Alex was refusing to go on MS but her "dear caring brother" convinced her to go on the "mild" side. He was even caring enough to trick her into believing the Orange side was the "mild" side and Alex was in no real condition to figure this out on her own. Apparently it was a very boisterous trip to Mars as the tipsy siblings were actively screaming and repeating commands to each other. Again - one can only imagine. Thankfully they were the only two in that spinning contraption.

Things that seems illogical seem perfectly rational after X amount of drinks.

The good news was that Alex made it out of the ride without seeing all her drinks again. The bad news is that she couldn't say the same after visiting the nearest lady's room stall.

A big chunk of my drink bill was literally flushed down the toilet. Well, I guess eventually all of it was going to be.

We made our way to World Showcase and a meal reservation at Spice Road.

DSC09741-X3.jpg

DSC09745-X3.jpg

Always time for more photos than necessary.

DSC09747-X3.jpg

Flashback to 2007 -

DSCN1101-XL.jpg

We made it to Morocco with plenty of time to spare.

DSC09748-X3.jpg

DSC09750-X3.jpg

In a COVID EPCOT, this allowed us the flexibility to use that time to ride Frozen. Something that I had only done on our last trip.

We set foot for Norway!

Last edited:

slipperalwaysfits

Is there a story behind each one?

I was only then starting to add up the number of times those cute little magic bands were "dinging" at the payment scanner multiplied by the number of drinks 3 people had at 7 different spots. "Oh yeah, in Italy we actually had 2 drinks" Val added. "ChaChing" sounded in my head. And I didn't even have a drink!

RAID some of Sterg's allowance money!!:greedy::greedy::geek:

Basically it's a giant human clothes dryer. One can use one's imagination.

I agree, I feel like Mission Space is like a human clothes dryer, although I'll only go on Green and not on any of it if I've had a drink or two. SEVEN DRINKS AND MISSION SPACE ORANGE????:jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop: Sounds like they are crazy!

The good news was that Alex made it out of the ride without seeing all her drinks again. The bad news is that she couldn't say the same after visiting the nearest lady's room stall.

Hope she was feeling better. Drinking midday and then doing something like that is a lesson I'll only have to learn once. Hope it's the same for her.

fractal

Original Poster
Regarding your paying the bills-
As teens my daughter played volleyball and danced, my son swam competitively.
My husband always said he was a checkbook and a mule!

Well I can certainly relate!

I usually say I'm a life support system for my wallet.

Again, your comments make me laugh. Brings back another great memory from our trips. I remember when we met up later that night in Epcot and Sterg talking about the drinks they had and you doing some quick calculating on SSE. Too funny!

Funny...yet painful!
:in pain:
Oh man! if I were you, I would hit up Sterg's allowance for all of the loss of booze for that trick....Need to put that one in the "alcohol abuse" rule book now...🤮 :D

Sound advise.

I was gonna say, if she didn't barf ON the ride, she certainly will after :hilarious: That ride makes me nauseous even without alcohol! Sterg better be on the lookout for some payback :cautious:

It has been a topic of conversation lately.
Was the “big chunk” pun intended??? Not funny, yet so funny 😂 Loving this report!

Didn't mean it when I wrote it but when I read what I wrote I kinda giggled.

Is there a story behind each one?

Good question!

RAID some of Sterg's allowance money!!:greedy::greedy::geek:

Since Sterg is living at home with a full time job, it's more like he owes me about 3 dozens drinks.

I agree, I feel like Mission Space is like a human clothes dryer, although I'll only go on Green and not on any of it if I've had a drink or two. SEVEN DRINKS AND MISSION SPACE ORANGE????:jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop: Sounds like they are crazy!

Yeah, crazy indeed.

Hope she was feeling better. Drinking midday and then doing something like that is a lesson I'll only have to learn once. Hope it's the same for her.

The teacher called "Life" taught many lessons that day.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom