main street sidewalk

flavious27

picture.php

picture.php

Pic from today, there was also a scrim up at town hall that was not there earlier in the week

magic making in the process?

surprised that they are breaking the construction out with the Christmas decorations still up.

thehowiet

Wilson King of Prussia
Glad to see more TLC for Main Street.

Does anyone know how long the confectionery rehab will take? I'll be there Feb 25th and was just wondering if I'll be able to see the end result of the rehab during my stay.

after 39 1/2 years they suddenly need to extend the sidewalk into the street a bit?

People are much larger than they were 40 years ago (seriously it makes a difference, people's width) and strollers are getting much bigger as well. I don't mind it if it makes navigating during parade time easier.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
People are much larger than they were 40 years ago (seriously it makes a difference, people's width) and strollers are getting much bigger as well. I don't mind it if it makes navigating during parade time easier.

Perhaps they should have a sign that says "Skinny people on the right - fat people on the left."

DiPSU224

I was just there 4 days ago and I have some pictures. I never noticed it until I saw this post. When I examined my pictures, I noticed that the extended platform is only on the right side and it doesn't fully go down the whole right of main street. It also looks bad, like the red of the sidewalk is on the street. If anyone wants to see the pics let me know.

Not picking on you only since others have mentioned that they don't care for it, yet it seems from your post that you didn't even notice it until you got home and saw your pics? It couldn't have been that bad then. It looks temporary and necessary for guest safety during the rehab.

The giant brown scrim and wall on Main Street bother me more than a temporary extension of the sidewalk although I do love all the love Main Street is getting over the past year. Hopefully both the scrim and sidewalk will be gone soon.
Out of curiosity, was that sidewalk extended overnight? Can it dry that quickly? It seems around here we notice things like napkin and cup changes but no one had mentioned new concrete being poured for the sidewalk. :lol:

wedway71

I agree. While at the Boardwalk my wife was not looking where she was going, stepped off a curb, fell and broke her arm. Nearly everyone asked "Did you sue?" Her response was "Sue them for what? Me being a klutz?"

I agree...... I busted my butt on Main Street once when I walked into a Trolly track. I fell down hard and scuffed my knee and hand. I must have had about 10 CM's rush over to see if I was ok....

My Wife said "No worried HE should have been watching where he was walking" and I agreed..... People need to take responsibilty for their actions.... I did ask for a band aid though...-lol

Disneygal1

No, I totally understand what you mean. It was very unnoticeable, I just don't think it looks that well in the pictures. And I agree with the "Giant brown scrim", but I'm sure it will be cleaned up. I'm just wondering if this is permanent...

steve2wdw

WDW Fan Since 1973
By the way, all the Christmas decorations and tree were removed Tuesday night. And it seems as though the construction wall in front of the confectionary "grew" towards town square. I bet it will wrap around the corner before the weekend arrives.

And the crew on the crane removed maybe half of the castle netting and lights today. They were still working as the sun went down.

Tom

Beta Return
Out of curiosity, was that sidewalk extended overnight? Can it dry that quickly? It seems around here we notice things like napkin and cup changes but no one had mentioned new concrete being poured for the sidewalk. :lol:

I have the same questions. When the heck did they do this?!?!

They didn't file a permit for it (as near as I can tell), and they file permits to replace Ice Machines. I would think that a sidewalk extension would warrant a permit.

How did it not come up on here? How did nobody notice this?

And no, you don't do something like that overnight. It would have had to have been done in phases, especially because of the two different colors of concrete.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult

They didn't file a permit for it (as near as I can tell), and they file permits to replace Ice Machines. I would think that a sidewalk extension would warrant a permit.

And no, you don't do something like that overnight. It would have had to have been done in phases, especially because of the two different colors of concrete.
Isn't the dark stripe actually just the old curb? If so, then it could have all been poured in one night.

Timon

The temporary piece of concrete is probably permitted in the over all building remodel. As to how was it done so fast, you take standard sack of Quickcrete, one cup of color dye, a hand full of magic and a sprinkle of Pixie dust. Easy. I don't remember the building of AK either!

Tom

Beta Return
Isn't the dark stripe actually just the old curb? If so, then it could have all been poured in one night.

There's also a new "curb" which is gray. The poured red and gray concrete. In 6 hours, you can't pour, color and cure that amount of concrete.

I'm just shocked that nobody reported on this. I mean, people on here take pics and report on things that are so tiny and detailed.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
There's also a new "curb" which is gray. The poured red and gray concrete. In 6 hours, you can't pour, color and cure that amount of concrete.

I'm just shocked that nobody reported on this. I mean, people on here take pics and report on things that are so tiny and detailed.
I am far form an expert on concrete but aren't there epoxy based quick setting concretes that would be suitable for a side walk that could be done in less than 6 hours? I know when I was involved in the extreme home in Hastings they were building on the slab just a few hours after it was poured.

Phonedave

Chances are it is not concrete.

Most likely it is flowable fill, or low strength concrete, with an accellerator admixture added to it.

Flowable fill flows like poorly graded sand, requires no compaction, sets up like concrete, but can be easly removed with most ground engaging equipment. - A skidsteer with a bucket could take it out.

It works great for backfilling conduit runs, abandoning manholes and subsurface vaults, and I would guess, temporary sidewalk extensions.

To quote Max Klinger "Trust me, I know concrete, and it's not that hard."

-dave

janoimagine

I am far form an expert on concrete but aren't there epoxy based quick setting concretes that would be suitable for a side walk that could be done in less than 6 hours? I know when I was involved in the extreme home in Hastings they were building on the slab just a few hours after it was poured.

Yes there are fast setting concretes that you could use to do such a thing ... take it from a person who likes to play with concrete on the side (for furniture and such) ... plus your only talking about a curb depth of maybe 3 or 4 inches, so it would be possible to do what is pictured overnight. Rapid Set by Cement-All makes a product that is ready for foot traffic in about an hour.

Tom

Beta Return

Chances are it is not concrete.

Most likely it is flowable fill, or low strength concrete, with an accellerator admixture added to it.

Flowable fill flows like poorly graded sand, requires no compaction, sets up like concrete, but can be easly removed with most ground engaging equipment. - A skidsteer with a bucket could take it out.

It works great for backfilling conduit runs, abandoning manholes and subsurface vaults, and I would guess, temporary sidewalk extensions.

To quote Max Klinger "Trust me, I know concrete, and it's not that hard."

-dave

Both good points. If this was colored concrete, it could not have been done overnight, especially between park opening and closing.

However, perhaps they did go cheap and use flowable fill, and then dust it with colored pigment on the surface as it was curing. Or heck, maybe they literally painted the concrete and it's not colored at all.

I bet it looks like hell by the time they're ready to tear it out. With all the people kicking it, running strollers and ECVs into it, power washing, etc - it's going to look terrible.

I assume they applied a heavy duty bond-breaker so they can just pop it up from the street when they're done, and don't tear up the existing pavement.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom