Magical Express to MCO - what happens if you miss your time?

DonaldDoleWhip

Hi everyone! We're heading back to Orlando for a quick long weekend in March (squeezing one last use out of my AP), timed to catch MMRR's opening weekend.

We're also planning on taking DME between the airport and AKL, for the first time in several years.

From what I recall, you're typically assigned a departure time when heading back to the airport, about 3 hours before your flight. If you miss your assigned time, can you take the next bus?

The reason I'm curious is due to the surprise launch of FP+ for MMRR. Our flight home is on Sunday, 3/8 at 6:20, which happens to be the day I was able to secure my FP+ for MMRR (2:20pm - 3:20pm). I know standby should be an option but am curious if this could potentially work out.

nickys

Premium Member
Hi everyone! We're heading back to Orlando for a quick long weekend in March (squeezing one last use out of my AP), timed to catch MMRR's opening weekend.

We're also planning on taking DME between the airport and AKL, for the first time in several years.

From what I recall, you're typically assigned a departure time when heading back to the airport, about 3 hours before your flight. If you miss your assigned time, can you take the next bus?

The reason I'm curious is due to the surprise launch of FP+ for MMRR. Our flight home is on Sunday, 3/8 at 6:20, which happens to be the day I was able to secure my FP+ for MMRR (2:20pm - 3:20pm). I know standby should be an option but am curious if this could potentially work out.

The buses are scheduled according to bookings. They are usually strict about not letting people on to buses except the one you’re booked onto, because they will be making stops at other resorts. The driver scans your “ticket” as you get on.

I think you’d have to get a taxi or ride share to MCO yourself.

And the time you’re given is the bus departure time. They tell you to be ready 15 minutes before.

Upvote 0

DonaldDoleWhip

Original Poster
The buses are scheduled according to bookings. They are usually strict about not letting people on to buses except the one you’re booked onto, because they will be making stops at other resorts. The driver scans your “ticket” as you get on.

I think you’d have to get a taxi or ride share to MCO yourself.

And the time you’re given is the bus departure time. They tell you to be ready 15 minutes before.
Thanks for the info - better to know that now than on departure day!

Another option would be to Lyft/Uber back from DHS to AKL. If the assigned Magical Express departure time isn't too early (e.g. 3:30), I'd be willing to take that chance, but it sounds like rope drop standby is the way to go.

Upvote 0

nickys

Premium Member
Thanks for the info - better to know that now than on departure day!

Another option would be to Lyft/Uber back from DHS to AKL. If the assigned Magical Express departure time isn't too early (e.g. 3:30), I'd be willing to take that chance, but it sounds like rope drop standby is the way to go.

Keep trying to modify that FP earlier too. You may find you can get an earlier one and still be back in time to catch the DME bus.

Upvote 0

Tuvalu

Premium Member
If the assigned Magical Express departure time isn't too early (e.g. 3:30), I'd be willing to take that chance, but it sounds like rope drop standby is the way to go.
For a 6:20 pm flight your DME pick-up will be between 2:30-3 pm (based on your resort). Mears has increased the amount of time between pick up and flight. On Tuesday we had a 1 pm pick up for our 4:30 pm flight.

Even taking a Lyft to the airport directly from DHS (after using your MMRR FP) would be cutting it close to making your flight. Security at MCO is a nightmare (even with TSA precheck). Wait times can be an hour or more (we waited 55 min Tuesday afternoon.)

Upvote 0

DonaldDoleWhip

Original Poster
Thank you for the advice!

This will be my first time hitting up a major WDW attraction’s opening weekend, and while I’m happy to be missing the chaos of Day #1, still a little nervous about heading to DHS with no FastPass or morning EMH.

Sounds like the Sunday FP+ might be too late, so fingers crossed rope drop goes smoothly!

Upvote 0

jaklgreen

Can you add a day onto your trip? They might have some early previews going on for the ride if you go in the couple of days leading to the opening. But I would not miss your ME bus.

Upvote 0

DonaldDoleWhip

Original Poster
Can you add a day onto your trip? They might have some early previews going on for the ride if you go in the couple of days leading to the opening. But I would not miss your ME bus.
Unfortunately not this time - have to make Thursday afternoon to Sunday work, but I'm sure it will!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom