Magic Kingdom No Longer to be Dry

PirateFrank

Walt had a lot of ideas about how to keep the park how he wanted.. some were good, and some simply have proven to be wrong. The man wasn't infallible, and if anything he is known for his forward progress. Why do you believe his idea is timeless and should be followed for all of time, when he isn't here to give his modern interpretation?

I mentioned this point on forward progress in my letter of support to Guest Relations that I just wrote and mailed.

The point I basically made is that Walt never believed Disneyland (and by extension the other parks that came after his death) to be finished. He always wanted them to grow and change. What people fail to recognize is that growth and change is not just a physical thing. It's not just a geographic thing. Evolution comes in many forms.

hellowonderland

This has nothing to do with 'not being able to go a day without alcohol'. It's down to the fact that wine is, and has been for literally thousands of years, a civilised (not drunken hedonistic) part of having a multi-course celebratory meal. If you need to have a beer with your pretzel every time, fair enough. But this isn't the case.

America has probably the most backward views about alcohol outside of the Muslim world. It really is ridiculous that wine and beer with a meal can be considered an attack on family values and don't even get me started on the fact that the drinking age is 21. In Europe alcohol is seen as a part of life and children are brought up to respect good quality products. It's is not unusual for children under 10 to be given a watered down glass of wine with a meal at home. It is respected because hundreds of years of work has gone into producing excellent quality produce to enhance the taste and dining experience. Not to get wasted and vomit on the teacups.

Those against this need to really see the difference between alcohol for getting drunk, and alcohol to enhance a dining experience. Family values aren't just preserved for the teetotal, white Christian traditional parenting families. They come in all shapes and sizes. The world would be a far nicer and inclusive place if people realised this.
This is my favourite post ever. The phrase "family values" is so misused that it's been rendered meaningless. And it implies that those who don't agree with the person using the phrase are somehow morally corrupt.

Regardless, I don't have a problem with this - but yes, I can see why others do. Wine with dinner and the experience of that was a staple in my family's home. Drinking till vomiting or sloshing beer around on Splash Mountain is a whole other matter. I don't think it will come to that - I hope it won't - I just honestly think TDO couldn't envision the experience of a French dining experience jiving with the "no alcohol" rule. And, of course, as with any business - money talks.

When I was a CM, the only time I encountered a drunk guest was on New Year's Eve - the guy tried to grope me on the promenade. Lovely. I knew he was super drunk because I was wearing my lumberjack costume and he must have had SERIOUS beer goggles on. lol.

Tigger1988

This is my favourite post ever. The phrase "family values" is so misused that it's been rendered meaningless. And it implies that those who don't agree with the person using the phrase are somehow morally corrupt.
Yes. I never want to hear "family values" or "traditional *insert whatever word you want here*" ever again. Overused talking points that have lost all meaning.

Chevross

I haven't read the entire thread because I just don't have that kind of time right now, but I must admit that I am disappointed...but it's their decision and I will respect it from a business standpoint. As someone previously mentioned in this topic, there is a difference between selling to be drunk and selling to enhance a dining experience and as long as the choice of alcohol in the Magic Kingdom is contained to certain areas as in this respect, I have no problems with it.

Animaniac93-98

A new poster just happens to pick a heated deabte to make posts in with ALL CAPS empahsizing more polorizing opinions. Isn't there a word for that?

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
dont-feed-the-troll.jpg

PirateFrank

Wow! Just wow!

At some point today, I was mildly concerned about the backlash against WDW by backwards minded people who feel it necessary to preach a morality they think was handed down by Walt yet can't comprehend fully themselves.......

Then I read this last page...Talk about ignorance....

EvilQueen-T

does no one think people have say gone to epcot/dhs in the morning had a drink or two then hopped over to mk? or gone to lunch or dinner at one of the monorail loop resorts had drinks w or w/o a meal in fact and returned the mk? i think the people most upset over the menu addition will also be the most surprised when nothing really changes in the behavior of visitors inside the mk. i'm all for tradition but i've been going since october 1972 and i got over it when they added epcot, dhs, and ak. i got over it when they took away mr. toads wild ride, added thunder, splash, philharmagic, and toon town. not quite over all the tour groups or parents who forget to parent their children in the parks but...hey...i still love disney. people will get over this just in time to go crazy over the next change.

c-one

So I didn't read this whole thread (duh) but jeez, the thread title sure had me thinking something else... Big difference between serving alcohol inside one restaurant and turning MK into one giant beer garden, but I guess it's still enough to spark chaos around here. What's the over/under on how many "What would Walt think" references I can count going back through all the pages?

englanddg

One Little Spark...
unkadug made a good point. Perhaps they haven't seen the movie. So, here's the scene below, and I took the liberty to point out specific scenes if you don't care to watch the whole thing.

1:16 - singing beer steins literally full screen and in Belle's face
2:10 - Dancing wine bottles and the lyrics say "It's a Guest, it's a guest. Sakes alive, well I'll be blessed. Wine's been poured, oh thank the Lord, I've had the napkins freshly pressed"
3:12 until end of song, Dancing wine bottles, beer steins are back, and the whole room gets showered with wine / champaign...the list goes on.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom