Magic Kingdom is not the "Happiest Place on Earth"

lazyboy97o

Hm, never heard that before, but I'm sure it would annoy me very much if someone referred to Disneyland as that.
Not what I mean. There are two parks with an official [English] name of "Disneyland Park." The park typically called Disneyland Paris is just Disneyland and the resort itself is Disneyland Paris.

Karakasa

I'd love to see a day when "Vacation Kingdom of the World" would again be an apt description for Walt Disney World.
I find I disagree. While there isn't quite a wide variety of things as there once was, and some recent choices or changes are.... questionable... There's very certainly just as many things. There's also still the water parks, and DTD, and the golf courses, and so on.

I mean, sit down and think on it for a moment- what is it people like doing on vacation? Well, different people like different things. Some people like relaxing- WDW offers this. Some people like exploring and learning- WDW also offers this. Some like having a fun, exciting time, which WDW offers.

WDW has Broadway-caliber stage shows (albeit, short ones, but of that caliber all the same), AA attractions, animal exhibitions, a chance to meet people of other cultures and explore their culture (if very shortly- but if you're that interested in a culture that you want to take more than a few hours per each, you'd visit that country instead anyway), thrill rides, and all forms of areas for relaxation, from pools to spas.

Honestly? I can't think of any other location on Earth that has as much variety to choose from in such a short distance from each other, save maybe the major metropolises- but then, in such places, you run the risk of getting lost.

I think it's still a very apt description, even if you could debate "X place is slightly better than Walt Disney World."

prberk

I'd love to see a day when "Vacation Kingdom of the World" would again be an apt description for Walt Disney World.

I remember when the Seven Seas Lagoon and Bay Lake area was supposed to be called "The Vacation Kingdom," with the rest to be the Experimental Prototype City (or Community) of Tomorrow...

Communicore

What drives me more insane is when Disneyland is refered to as Magic Kingdom even though that it was synonymous with Disneyland and to a certain extent it still is. There's only one Magic Kingdom. They can call Disneyland Magic Kingdom but it should have stopped before October 1, 1971.

lazyboy97o

What drives me more insane is when Disneyland is refered to as Magic Kingdom even though that it was synonymous with Disneyland and to a certain extent it still is. There's only one Magic Kingdom. They can call Disneyland Magic Kingdom but it should have stopped before October 1, 1971.
Disneyland was and always will be Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom. There is absolutely no reason that title should be exclusive to the park in Florida.

Californian Elitist

Original Poster

Disneyland is the Magic Kingdom, though. It had that name before Magic Kingdom in Florida did. Disneyland's nickname, from the beginning, has been "the magic kingdom" or "Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom". That's not just going to go away because they decided to borrow it for Florida's park.

MOXOMUMD

Disneyland is the Magic Kingdom, though. It had that name before Magic Kingdom in Florida did. Disneyland's nickname, from the beginning, has been "the magic kingdom" or "Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom". That's not just going to go away because they decided to borrow it for Florida's park.
That's like giving your child the same name as your cousin's child then telling your cousin they have to change their name even though they were born first. Disneyland was "born" first. :)

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
That's like giving your child the same name as your cousin's child then telling your cousin they have to change their name even though they were born first. Disneyland was "born" first. :)

Exactly lol!

Coincidentally, my aunt have my cousin the exact same first and middle name my mom was going to give me. My mom regretted giving her sister permission to name her daughter the exact same name she came up with. She ended up giving my brother, her second child, the middle name, and she still had plans on giving me the full name she came up with (makes sense?). Thank God my grandma ended up naming me, because there would have been three of us with the same middle name and two of us with the same first AND middle name.

sweetpee_1993

When we were just at DL my hubby kept calling Disneyland park "Magic Kingdom" and I kept correcting him. He asked our tour guide for Walk in Walt's Footsteps if Disneyland park was referred to as "Magic Kingdom" because we heard her say that name a few times. She said they like to refer to Disneyland park as The Original Magic Kingdom. I think that works well because it is. Nobody can argue that. But, when there in conversation its kinda weird to say "Hey, let's go to California Adventure for a few hours then we can hop over to 'The Original Magic Kingdom' to grab a Dole Whip and go in the Tiki Room." It's just easier in conversation to say "Disneylsnd". When my hubby kept calling it Magic Kingdom I kept thinking Florida because that's the Magic Kingdom I grew up going to. Then again, it took some doing retrain the brain from calling Florida's Magic Kingdom park Disney World. Yes, there was a time that one park was 'going to Disney World'. That's how you can tell someone who went way back in the day. ;)

Now, to just get the hubby to stop calling the Grand Californian "Grand Floridian". Just yesterday we were talking about our next Disneyland Resort trip and he's all "I really do want to stay at the Grand Floridian." What???? We're not going to Florida! Not even close! :facepalm:

englanddg

One Little Spark...
This is all informal terms not official.

Additionally, I tend to put DLC or Disneyland California because there are 3 that could be informally referred to as "Disneyland" out there. Soon to be four.

Officially, Magic Kingdom is in Florida at the Walt Disney World Resort.

Disneyland Park is in California at the Disneyland Resort.

Disneyland Park is also in France at the Disneyland Paris (not called resort, just Disneyland Paris. The resort area is called Disneyland Paris. The park is called Disneyland Park. In French it's Parc Disneyland, and the resort area is still called Disneyland Paris.)

Tokyo Disneyland is the official name there, and it's on the Tokyo Disney Resort.

Hong Kong Disneyland Park is the official name there, and it's at Hong Kong Disneyland (no resort, just Hong Kong Disneyland).

Shanghai will likely follow the official naming convention of Hong Kong, I suspect.

But, there are at least TWO parks where the official name is Disneyland Park (unless one uses the French name), and could easily be called informally Disneyland.

As far as taglines, well, yeah. The Happiest Place on Earth is Disneyland California.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom