Magic bands/gift cards

KCheatle

Now that you mention it, I would love it if they could do that! In an ideal world, I would link a gift card to each of my kids' magic bands and then they could charge what they wanted until the GC ran out. That way I could control their spending without having to think too much about it or constantly be calculating who spent what -- they tell me I gotta keep it fair o_Oo_O;) I've thought about giving them each a gift card to take around with them, but I know they would lose it and then I'd be out the money because in WDW I can't be my mean normal self that would say, "You're outta luck kid." ;)

Upvote 0

sxeensweet

Love a little Disney every day!! ;)
Unfortunately I don't think you can but you can go to the desk before checkout and apply them to your balance. But it must be done before the last night.

Or sooner... they charge the card on file once you're close to the charge limit which each resort category the resort charge limit is different: Deluxes have a $2000 limit, Mods $1500, and Values $750-1000. (They all used to be less but they were raised sometime last year or year before). So they will charge your card as soon as you are close to those set limits, so it's best to check your balance daily at the front desk and pay down as needed with your gift cards. I have met the limit many times well before checkout day and card was charged a few times before checkout. Lol So just be aware of that. ;)

Upvote 0

John park hopper

Now that you mention it, I would love it if they could do that! In an ideal world, I would link a gift card to each of my kids' magic bands and then they could charge what they wanted until the GC ran out. That way I could control their spending without having to think too much about it or constantly be calculating who spent what -- they tell me I gotta keep it fair o_Oo_O;) I've thought about giving them each a gift card to take around with them, but I know they would lose it and then I'd be out the money because in WDW I can't be my mean normal self that would say, "You're outta luck kid." ;)

If your kids are going off on their own how old are your they?

Upvote 0

nickys

Premium Member

You can put a limit on their spending on their magic band. Just ask the CM at the front desk of your resort. We've done that, no problem at all :)

Upvote 0

KCheatle

They aren't going off on their own. In any event, they are 7 and 11. I just think it would be easier to link a GC to each of their magic bands and that way if they want to buy something at a store they can charge it to their own magic band, and I don't have to keep track of what each of them is spending or worry about making sure I always have a GC with me whenever they might possibly want to buy something. I give them each a spending limit, and I stick to it as best I can for obvious reasons. But, it is annoying to have to constantly calculate who spent what. The nice thing about a GC linked to a magic band is that when their money's out, it's out.

Upvote 0

CaptainAmerica

I've thought about giving them each a gift card to take around with them, but I know they would lose it and then I'd be out the money because in WDW I can't be my mean normal self that would say, "You're outta luck kid." ;)
That's not true at all. Disney's lost gift card policy is extremely forgiving. If you register them at DisneyGiftCard.com, you have zero risk in the event that it's lost or stolen.

Upvote 0

slipperalwaysfits

Or sooner... they charge the card on file once you're close to the charge limit which each resort category the resort charge limit is different: Deluxes have a $2000 limit, Mods $1500, and Values $750-1000. (They all used to be less but they were raised sometime last year or year before). So they will charge your card as soon as you are close to those set limits, so it's best to check your balance daily at the front desk and pay down as needed with your gift cards. I have met the limit many times well before checkout day and card was charged a few times before checkout. Lol So just be aware of that. ;)

Yes, I always save up for Disney by using gift cards from Kroger. In 2013, the first year I went, the spending limit for the All-Stars was $500, and my then-boyfriend (now hubs :rolleyes::p) and I hit that pretty fast, which meant a long time at the front desk separating charges. After we drop our luggage, we now stop at the front desk to separate credit cards on the first day. :cat: I keep track in my mind of spending and how much I've brought on the gift cards, and usually stop about 3 or 4 days into the trip to pay it off. And then I pay it all off the last night of our trip!

Upvote 0

21stamps

They must just charge your card at $2k though.. I went way over that and never had to see the front desk.

Upvote 0

Souvenir

They must just charge your card at $2k though.. I went way over that and never had to see the front desk.
Usually that's true- it is automatic, but I think it only gets done early in the day at the same time that they charge your account for that day's lodging. Only once have I had to go to the front desk. I was close to the $2000 mark and then tried to charge something quite expensive and the MagicBand wouldn't work. Fortunately I had my wallet so just paid with a credit card.

edited to add: My advice if you're close to the limit is to stop by the desk to have them go ahead and charge your card to give you a new, full limit to work with, or make sure you have an alternate form of payment with you. If you hate having to stop by the desk to speak with someone, just pay with another method until the next morning and it will resolve itself automatically.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR

I'm curious as to why that question was even asked? My kids went to Disney Parks since they were 14 months old and 2 months old respectively, knew the parks better than many adults.
\
We as they aged gave them some space to go off on their own in the park we were all in. We'd let them sometimes eat on their own while we ate on our own, ride attractions we didn't enjoy any longer. But then again I wasn't a helicopter parent that followed my kids around the neighborhood as they played with their friends, they went to neighborhood parks on their own, or to the pool when the restrictions allowed them. I wasn't big on 'Play Dates.' I grew up in an era where we'd go to a friends home and ring the doorbell and ask if our friend could come out and do something, my folks didn't arrange play dates either.

The parks are a pretty safe environment for kids that can ride their bike to a neighborhood pool or baseball practice on their own-safe enough to ride Space Mountain or eat in Cosmic Rays without a parent. My kid at 11 could go get a Slurpee at 7/11, go to the pool or even ride their bike down the street to a friends house, heck I baby sat a 6 year old after school until his Mom came home from work at 11 years old for an hour and a half each day.

We in our area have latch key kids that lock the door behind them and get on a school bus by middle school. Some children are far more responsible than we care to give them credit for. My kids are now finally out of college, out on their own. My opinion is some adults need to coddle their kids and micromanage their every move a bit too much...I viewed my job as a parent the need to build a responsible young'ns. Baby steps, it starts from their youth.

We wonder why adults pick on Millennials, parents need to learn how to teach their children to develop into self sufficiency bit by bit and learn to let go. Disney is a pretty dang safe environment to give kids a bit of wiggle room. At 14 they can enter Disney without an adult. 11 when your in the park to come to their aid which rarely happens isn't unreasonable in my opinion and watch over a brother or sister that isn't a toddler. But it certainly depends on what the child was taught up to that point, if you're still sitting at their band practices after school and they are middle school, certainly Disney would be a problem.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom