Magic Band 2

zwmais

Original Poster
Good Morning All,

Does anyone know much about the magic band 2? I'm trying to figure out if buying a special designed Magic Band 2 is more worthwhile than the old magic band. What I mean is I couldn't justify buying a specially designed one before since once the battery runs out on it it was only a souvenir, that's just me though. I'm not complaining about it, but I was wondering with the new ones if I buy a Star Wars magic band 2 for instance, if after a couple years the battery runs out, is there a way to just get a new middle part for it so the band can be re-used, not sure if anyone knows. I was wanting to buy a special character for each member of the family to use for years to come rather than just using the generic ones that come shipped with your resort reservation. Thank you and I'm super pumped about magic band 2!

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Good Morning All,

Does anyone know much about the magic band 2? I'm trying to figure out if buying a special designed Magic Band 2 is more worthwhile than the old magic band. What I mean is I couldn't justify buying a specially designed one before since once the battery runs out on it it was only a souvenir, that's just me though. I'm not complaining about it, but I was wondering with the new ones if I buy a Star Wars magic band 2 for instance, if after a couple years the battery runs out, is there a way to just get a new middle part for it so the band can be re-used, not sure if anyone knows. I was wanting to buy a special character for each member of the family to use for years to come rather than just using the generic ones that come shipped with your resort reservation. Thank you and I'm super pumped about magic band 2!
The battery is not replaceable on the MB 2 either, so the same issues are on both. The ONLY thing the battery is used for is the on-ride photos to tie into your Memory Maker. It has nothing to do with hotel room entry, park entry, or paying for meals or merchandise with your MB. All of that uses passive technology that will work forever with the current system. I have a Goofy band that I have used for a few years now, and when available, will buy a new one for a MB 2.

You'll have to decide if the price is worth it or not. To me, yes. To many others, no.

zwmais

Original Poster
The battery is not replaceable on the MB 2 either, so the same issues are on both. The ONLY thing the battery is used for is the on-ride photos to tie into your Memory Maker. It has nothing to do with hotel room entry, park entry, or paying for meals or merchandise with your MB. All of that uses passive technology that will work forever with the current system. I have a Goofy band that I have used for a few years now, and when available, will buy a new one for a MB 2.

You'll have to decide if the price is worth it or not. To me, yes. To many others, no.

Ok that makes a lot more sense. Honestly, I had thought the battery was linked to all of that stuff to include hotel key and paying for meals. If the only thing it won't work for is memory maker photos, that's definitely not a deal breaker. I mean every 3-4 it might be nice to get a different design anyway, but it's nice to know it will work for everything else indefinitely. Thank you!

Rob562

While the battery isn't replaceable, in theory on a future trip you could get one of the basic color bands (whether purchased or free with hotel) and put the middle piece from that into an older specialty band whose battery has died...

-Rob

zwmais

Original Poster
While the battery isn't replaceable, in theory on a future trip you could get one of the basic color bands (whether purchased or free with hotel) and put the middle piece from that into an older specialty band whose battery has died...

-Rob

Oh, I gotcha. So the puck (middle part) is the part where the battery is. That makes a lot more sense. I didn't think about that, so yeah that does make buying a specialty band definitely worth it in my opinion. It would be super cool to be able to personalize each band for each member of the family so we each have what fits us. Plus, we can differentiate from most others in the parks aside from ourselves! Thank you!

- Zach

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member

-Rob
Good point. The pucks themselves are all just one basic color, so a new puck with the color of the specialty band would work just fine.

zwmais

Original Poster
If you buy a limited edition one, do they actually grab them from the shelf at a WDW store and ship it to you if you order one through the app?

I was actually thinking about ordering one of the "It's a small world limited edition ones" that is limited.

dreamfinder

If you buy a limited edition one, do they actually grab them from the shelf at a WDW store and ship it to you if you order one through the app?

I was actually thinking about ordering one of the "It's a small world limited edition ones" that is limited.

I believe it actually gets pulled from the warehouse that WDW uses to store it's merchandise.

nolatron

We'll be in Disney in 18 days and today we also got the 2.0 Magic Bands. Yay.

IMG_7949.JPG

CaptainAmerica

Can somebody please explain Disney's merchandise strategy for these things? The 2.0 bands they currently have available are: Krennic, Stitch, Up, Tea Cups, Flower and Garden, Tinkerbell, Minnie Mouse, Belle, and TRON.

Um, wut? That's hardly what I'd consider A-list Disney characters for Wave 1 of the new bands. Minnie Mouse but no Mickey. Krennic but no Vader, Yoda, or Boba Fett. Belle but no Moana. Up but no Toy Story. And TRON? Why TRON?

Last edited:

KrzyKtty

Well considering the recent release of Beauty and the Beast, Belle kind of makes perfect sense. Not so sure about the others. Do any other parks use these yet?

Rob562

Can somebody please explain Disney's merchandise strategy for these things? The 2.0 bands they currently have available are: Krennic, Stitch, Up, Tea Cups, Flower and Garden, Tinkerbell, Minnie Mouse, Belle, and TRO.

Um, wut? That's hardly what I'd consider A-list Disney characters for Wave 1 of the new bands. Minnie Mouse but no Mickey. Krennic but no Vader, Yoda, or Boba Fett. Belle but no Moana. Up but no Toy Story. And TRON? Why TRON?

My guess is that they're only making new designs for the new Bands. Old designs stay with the old Bands, at least until they come out with new designs. Since the Band design changed, if they wanted to update the old designs they'd have to pay artists to re-work the existing design to fit the new Band.

I haven't seen any new designs out for 1.0 Bands. I also have no idea what kind of stock they have built up on the old designs that they'd have to get rid of before they could start offering new designs.

-Rob

CaptainAmerica

My guess is that they're only making new designs for the new Bands. Old designs stay with the old Bands, at least until they come out with new designs. Since the Band design changed, if they wanted to update the old designs they'd have to pay artists to re-work the existing design to fit the new Band.

I haven't seen any new designs out for 1.0 Bands. I also have no idea what kind of stock they have built up on the old designs that they'd have to get rid of before they could start offering new designs.

-Rob
Do you (or does anyone) know whether the new bands are available to be customized at the D-TECH stands or whatever they're called? I have no interest in paying money for one of the 1.0 bands with a battery that's going to die but I'll absolutely shell out for a 2.0 that'll last me "forever."

bunnyman

Just back from WDW and we were given the 2.0 bands for the trip. You still see by far more customized bands being available for the 1.0 models, and quite frankly they had very little in the way of accessories for sale for the 2.0 version. Also, the 2.0 band wears more like a watch (a man's watch at that) than the 1.0 did like a band. It was fine for me, but the women in my party found them somewhat over-sized (the removable section is more solid and lies flat with less flexibility), so for smaller wrists it doesn't wrap around as well).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom