Maelstrom refurbished!

Sped2424

I actually really like the rotating schedule of festivals at Epcot. It keeps things fresh, especially for locals, and keeping things fresh is a very Epcot-y thing to do.

well we can still have the festivals without sacrificing an entire pavilion! I for one am excited for this technology festival I keep hearing about.

Black Pearl

This is one of the greatest theme park moments ever. It's the greatest surprise anywhere in a theme park. Dinosaurs jump out at you on Dinosaur or Jurassic Park, but you expect that to happen. Maelstrom never tips its hand; a first time rider will never see that ending coming.

lol, everytime my wife and I ride she gets to hear me go to into viking mode shouting about how "Thar be Oil refineries over thar! Beyond the trolls!"

Taylor

I don't much care for maelstrom it feels like when it's over that there was a lot of missing pieces to it with a very abrupt ending.

nepalostparks

This thread is depressing me, lol.

When did a lack of mold throughout a ride turn into something people are wowed by and consider cool and magical?

The original post mentioned a number of other things that were done, too. Perhaps you missed those.

We're happy because some smaller work was done to an attraction to upgrade it, without a major refurbishment, and without losing anything on the ride. That seems to be a a positive thing to most of us.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
The original post mentioned a number of other things that were done, too. Perhaps you missed those.

We're happy because some smaller work was done to an attraction to upgrade it, without a major refurbishment, and without losing anything on the ride. That seems to be a a positive thing to most of us.
Or rather things that used to be done as a matter of course regularly before letting the attraction deteriorate. It is good it has happened, but should be no reason to celebrate.

nepalostparks

Or rather things that used to be done as a matter of course regularly before letting the attraction deteriorate. It is good it has happened, but should be no reason to celebrate.

I agree with the first part. But so many have complained that it hasn't been happening (myself included). I think it's ok to be happy that it happened again. Hopefully it will happen again, and again, and again.

I just find it interesting that we complain because it isn't done. Then we complain when it is done.

Timekeeper

The "wall" up around the waterfall was still there as of 6/23/13. It has now been there for so long that I have accepted it as a permanent fixture of the attraction.

Meanwhile, other parks have constructed and opened new attractions in the time that this thing has remained an eye sore.

dopeylover

Happy to hear they have refurbed one of my favorites! I do agree I wish it wasn't something to celebrate, but let's just be happy that things are getting done!

Alektronic

WOW! I had a visit to Maelstrom in Norway yesterday and was shocked to find out that the ride has been updated/cleaned/fixed alot suddenly.

Some changes to the pavilion has appeared as well.

The trees outside in the pound are gone, the reeally tall trees right outside Maelstrom thats been there for 25 years are now history. Personally I do like it as it gives a better view. Disney also painted the tower on Akershus to look like its made of copper, it used to be brown but now looks like it should.

What has changed in Maelstrom:
- Fastpass + is set up and ready for launch.
- New tiling in load scene, so there is no longer water damage on the mural or ceiling. It actually smelled ok in there now.... The room also seems brighter.
- Viking scene: They put in a big powerful light so its daylight in there now, while it does give you the possibility to see the entire scene much better I think its a bit too bright.
- Troll scene: Trolls are moving better than they used too, the waterside troll is also more hidden before he comes up from the water. More mood lighting. Now we are just missing the smoke in this scene...
- Polar bear scene: the missing rock piece is replaced and the "ice" seems to be better.
- North sea: The wall projecting other oil rigs have been changed/fixed so not dirty and broken anymore. More storm effects: it actually splashes against the oil rig now, and they also have water fog effects there now....
- Unload/Skudesneshavn: Much brighter, some tiles replaced. Personally it could be a tad less bright.
Theater: Carpets been cleaned and something has truly been done to it. The movie also seems to have been made digital now as its much brighter and much more clear... It still has those old moments, but it was actually much more fun to watch.

I was sooo shocked when I figured this out, I had to take the ride like three times to believe it myself. Right now I love Disney!

Whats missing to be done in Maelstrom:
Smoke effects in the troll scene, polar bear cleaning, remove the black mold on the mural before the north sea and new movie.... But, I am so proud of the company right now.

Most of this stuff was due to normal maintenance. But some was due to worker motivation like the wave cannons in the North Sea, they have been there all along but turned off and in disrepair, usually management just wants to leave things off but someone wanted to see if they could fix them for a minimal cost and was able to repair some of them. It is nice to restore some of the old effects.

The movie is just the same old projector and film. Maybe they just pulled in a new print. they usually change it out every 8,000 runs.

One thing probably no one noticed though is that there is 16 new Viking ships, they were all changed out in the last 3 - 6 months.

baymenxpac

I agree with the first part. But so many have complained that it hasn't been happening (myself included). I think it's ok to be happy that it happened again. Hopefully it will happen again, and again, and again.

I just find it interesting that we complain because it isn't done. Then we complain when it is done.

that's not really what @marni1971 is getting at. it's not complaining that it is done. i think it's great that improvements have been made. but when we get over-the-top happy about routine maintenance, we're letting WDW and TDO benefit from low expectations.

the fact is that before ridiculously high price hikes, attractions were maintained and kept at show quality. there should be no excuse to let something deteriorate to the point of splash pre-refurb or maelstrom pre-maintenance.

those of us who frequent WDW pay a premium price to do so. we should receive a premium product in return.

Alektronic

The "wall" up around the waterfall was still there as of 6/23/13. It has now been there for so long that I have accepted it as a permanent fixture of the attraction.

Meanwhile, other parks have constructed and opened new attractions in the time that this thing has remained an eye sore.

This is like a lot of problems, it is about money and who is going to pay for it. Originally, it was for a new effect for Agent P. They were supposed to add new rockwork on top of the old rockwork to blend in the new effect. They (BVCC) were told plenty of times not to disturb the existing waterfall and rockwork because it is 25 years old and not in good condition because of water, rust, age, etc. I guess somebody didn't get the message or thought it was ok, so they took out some of the old rockwork and installed new structural stuff and new rockwork. It worked for a bit then it started leaking inside the merchandise shops and they tried to fix it and tried many times, but still didn't work, so they have to redo the entire waterfall area to fix it right. But who is going to pay for it? It should be the people who made the mistake, but they are trying to blame others for it. So they are just dragging their feet like many other projects around here.

nepalostparks

but when we get over-the-top happy about routine maintenance, we're letting WDW and TDO benefit from low expectations.

I don't see posting a comment being positive about the work being done on a message board as being "over-the-top happy" though. If anyone is throwing a party at their house celebrating, then yes, I agree that's over the top. Making a note when a job well done is just that isn't over the top. Certainly not on a fan site about Disney World.

alphac2005

that's not really what @marni1971 is getting at. it's not complaining that it is done. i think it's great that improvements have been made. but when we get over-the-top happy about routine maintenance, we're letting WDW and TDO benefit from low expectations.

the fact is that before ridiculously high price hikes, attractions were maintained and kept at show quality. there should be no excuse to let something deteriorate to the point of splash pre-refurb or maelstrom pre-maintenance.

those of us who frequent WDW pay a premium price to do so. we should receive a premium product in return.

Exactly. I don't jump on the bandwagon when the poster lists the improvements, which should be standard fare maintenance, and then says how proud they are of Disney, yet mentions mold is still in the building in the same paragraph. This is what many of us that have harped on the loss of quality and what TDO would eventually make expectations, lowest common denominator. There might be a plethora of things still wrong with Maelstrom, but some things are better, therefore it's great. It's obviously good news to see that something has been done here, but I'd like to see what happens to a fully refurbished attraction and to see if they can keep whatever attraction that might be at it's fully restored state on a regular basis. That's the standard that the company created and it isn't asking too much for that, but apparently not in today's Disney. I don't spend a lot of money with Disney to get a so-so effort.

luv

I don't see posting a comment being positive about the work being done on a message board as being "over-the-top happy" though. If anyone is throwing a party at their house celebrating, then yes, I agree that's over the top. Making a note when a job well done is just that isn't over the top. Certainly not on a fan site about Disney World.
The job wasn't well done. Keeping mechanical things working and the rest of it looking sharp, while having pleasant staff run it...that's doing the job well.

Keeping it working to some degree is doing the job.

Letting it slide to the point where the whole loading area is moldy and smelly and other parts of the ride are developing mold...and leaving it in that disgusting condition for a year...that's a very poor job.

They didn't do the job well. They moved from doing a poor job to doing it.

When they do a job well, I am happy to cheer, as are most people.

Getting rid of mold that should never have been allowed to develop...not praise-worthy, IMO. Finally fixing broken parts is also something that should have been done as routine maintenance...also not praise worthy. It should have been attended to! That would have been doing the job.

Instead of "Wow! Cool! How magical!", I say, "It's about time."

Have they dropped the temp in loading to prevent more mold or will more develop?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom