Maelstrom refurb!

maelstrom

That's kind of a long rehab for just some paint and minor touch-ups. Does anybody know exactly what they're going to be doing? At least it'll reopen for the last few days of our trip.

Buzzforprez

Norway nixes the movie... you know, the one with my future next wife, the blonde that is always laughing, adds original Journey Into Imagination as its conclusion and airfare to Norway skyrockets. :sohappy:

See. I can do sarcasm too.:ROFLOL:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Hopefully we`ll get a general refurb and tidy up, the Tessla Coil will be safely reinstated instead of the (clever) strobe light and lightning stick and all the bubble makers and smoke machines will be brought back to life. These alone should make for a new ride :D

Incidentally, here`s a screen cap of the Tessla Coil in action

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=18754&d=1107467229

And here`s the strobe replacement

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=18758&d=1107471624

PBarton

I would love for them to kill the movie at the end. It's a decent film, but I hate the idea being forced to wait in that little waiting area. That drives me nuts!

Good to hear of some more refurb, though.
LOL The doors to the Movie Theatre always seem to be just closing as we are arriving at the unload platform!

:brick:

It is annoying having to wait in that area for what seems an eternity, until the doors open, only for 75% of guests to just walk through. (We always stay and watch the movie - like the wooden chairs!). There should be an exit doorway allowing guests who don't want to watch the movie to skip the waiting area.

I am fine with the wait - as long as one of those white wooden benches are available. It is quite a nice quiet, dark and cool place to take a quick breather.

maelstrom

Hopefully we`ll get a general refurb and tidy up, the Tessla Coil will be safely reinstated instead of the (clever) strobe light and lightning stick and all the bubble makers and smoke machines will be brought back to life. These alone should make for a new ride.

My parents & I don't remember the tesla coil at all. I keep hearing about it and even seeing pictures about it, but I honestly just don't remember ever seeing it in the ride. I've been going to WDW since 1988 and my parents have been going (together) since 1985. What was the lifetime of the tesla coil and was it there when I went (once a year, at least, from 1988 onward)? I think it's a very neat effect from what I've read and I'd like to see it brought back, just to experience it for myself if for no other reason.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
My parents & I don't remember the tesla coil at all. I keep hearing about it and even seeing pictures about it, but I honestly just don't remember ever seeing it in the ride..
I must have been lucky to get it on tape. It`s one of the more eleusive effects at WDW. It`s featured in the WDI 1996 hardback book too. I shot my video in June 1990. Basically the charge was from the roof area to the oil rig `sticky out` arm. I dare say the rig was part of the grounding plate for the coil.

It certainly wasn`t the strobe effect used today. Whilst this is very clever, it`s a strobe light illuminating what looks like clear plastic rods arranged in a fork lightning shape - the brief flashes illuminate the perspex rods, though also part of the ceiling (as seen in slow motion) and casts a shadow of the rods on the celing too (as seen in the 2nd screencap I`ve linked above), though this is only visible in slo mo on video.

The coil had a charge from the ceiling area to the rig, in at least 2 different areas, with nothing there beforehand or after (like plastic rods) - and the flash was so bright and it`s CT so correct for it to be a charged bolt as opposed to an illumination device.

TiggerFanatic - yep, it`s a spruce up. Nothing major (though maybe the rumoured film re edit will surface) but if they just fixed the effects I mentioned above and perhaps turn the wave machines back to their original full power it`d be great :)

SteveUK

I'm a bit disappointed at the timing of this rehab. I'm going on 29th April - 13th May.

I'm hoping there won't be too many things out of action. I have seen several rehab lists on the internet, with varying details. Can anybody tell me where to find the most up-to-date and accurate list? And how far in advance do they make announcements? Is anything else likely to be added to the list to be closed before I go?

diddy_mouse

I'm glad to hear more attractions are being added to the refurb list. I've always enjoyed Maelstrom and hope that the sprucing-up will make it all worth while! :D

Also this means we'll have a lot of attractions with that "new ride smell" when we go in Dec!

Peaches Magee

Coming soon from the Norwegian Pavilion....Maelstrom featuring Bernard and Miss Bianca from Disney's animated film The Rescuers. Guests follow these two characters as they attempt to rescue a young Nordic child who is in the evil clutches of a troll, who is living with polar bears, while plotting to destory Norway's oil rigs and tranfer the 1982 post show film from 35mm film to DVD!

The Rescuers join the Three Caballeros at the Mexico Pavilion as part of Disney's "year of a lot of characters"...celebrating the 25th Anniversary you were never supposed to hear about involving EPCOT Center.

....wow....:eek: :hammer:

:ROFLOL:

All I remember is the troll chanting
"DISAPPEAR! DISAPPEAR!"

aladdin2007

I am kinda surprised they are doing this during the middle of the Flower and Garden Festival but at least its getting some attention (now if only they would bring back Akershus as it once was, but I know thats a whole diff topic). I also miss the waves that use to pound against the bottom of the oil rig, it seems little original touches like that have disappeared dissappeared :p over time. Anyone remember the little guy with the binoculars on top of the cliff just before you went down the falls??? Miss that too. Seems bare up there now.

Would also be nice to see the wall in the loading area repainted and redesigned on the left side, it was great in the beginning but a bit outdated looking now. They were originally suppose to do a dark thick forest scene on that wall, seems like it would be a cool magical fit right before you begin the ascent up.

justducky78

Hopefully it's just some TLC, I love this ride! Yes, it's short and not much of a story-line but it's a must-do every trip.

"You are not the first to pass this way...nor will you be the last" :D

Cole'sMom

I like Maelstrom. I don't frquent it that often, but I'll be happy about anything that makes WDW a better place to visit for someone, somewhere!

maelstrom

I shot my video in June 1990.

I was there in June 1990 as well, so I guess this confirms that I've seen the tesla coil in action and I just don't remember it. I was only four in 1990 so I guess it's forgivable. But if it was still there through the late 1990s, then I don't know. I didn't go in 1996 (that was my first trip to Disneyland), but I did go in 1997, 1998, and 1999 (and 91, 92, 93, 94, 95). I guess I'll just never know. My parents don't remember it either but they aren't as observant as I am nowadays so they probably weren't even looking for weird stuff like tesla coils in Maelstrom. They look for weird stuff now, but that's only from my Disney-obsessive-geek influence. :lol:

Figments Friend

Care to share any details?

No seriously...i would like to learn more about what was originally intended for Maelstrom, if anyone could point me in the right direction...

:wave:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom