Pre-Trip Looking for Some Holiday Magic

Hello everyone! I have been a long time reader on here, just working up the courage to post a bit more. I love reading all of your wonderful PTR and TR, and want to join in the fun!

Who: Me, DH, DS who will be almost 3 at the start of the trip!
When: between Thanksgiving and Christmas, 10-11 days
Where: Polynesian

A little Disney background on us...I went to WDW a few times as a child, they are some of my best vacation memories. My DH never went as a kid. We attended a wedding down in Orlando a few years ago and decided to hit up MVMCP for fun. Oh boy! He walked around like a little kid in awe, exclaiming "Why did my parents never bring me here?!" I feel back in love with WDW and haven't been able to get enough since. We ended going to Epcot the next day, buying tickets for each other as early Christmas presents.

Fast forward to last year where we visited my friend in Orlando again for a vacation, this time bringing our DS1 along. We went to MK for a day and had a blast. Later that year DH and I snuck down for a 2 day whirlwind trip, hitting all 4 parks in those 2 days. Now we are ready for our first real Disney vacation! This site has been a great resource for the parks, and I feel like I know every inch of them. I can't wait to explore them again through my DS's eyes. He is currently in love with Mickey and the gang and Stitch, although Moana has been often requested at our house as of late.

As to the title of my PTR, our family and extended family have been through a lot the last 6 months, and has made us realize that you cannot take what you have for granted and you need to do the things that make you happiest. Hopefully for us, that is a trip filled with magic.

PrincessL

Happy planning!

Can totally relate to you. DH and I went to WDW a few times as older kids. And then rekindled our love of Disney with a day trip while staying in Naples. 2016 was a rough year for our family and we decided that this is the time we have with the boys while they are young and goodness we are going to spend it making memories at Disney!

We have taken all of our boys right before they turn 3. As they are still free ;) and it is so amazing to experience the magic through their eyes. Meeting the real Mickey Mouse has created memories that I will cherish forever!! We are heading there next month four our youngest DSs 3rd birthday and also staying at the Poly!

Can't wait to see more of your plans!

Nala06

Original Poster
We are hoping to stay at the Poly this trip, but depending on discounts we may end up doing a split stay with either Wilderness Lodge or POFQ and the Poly. We absolutely love the Poly, it definitely feels like home when we visit even though we haven't technically stayed there (well I stayed there as a child but that was forever ago!) We have ended up there at least once every time we have gone down the last few snall trips. The grounds are amazing, peaceful and so Disney. I am keeping my fingers and toes crossed for a good discount so we can stay there the whole trip! I have an AP so I am hoping between that and a general room discount we can make it work.

Sounds like it will be quite a few months before we will find out though...(im)patiently waiting!!

Up next...dining

PrincessL

We are hoping to stay at the Poly this trip, but depending on discounts we may end up doing a split stay with either Wilderness Lodge or POFQ and the Poly. We absolutely love the Poly, it definitely feels like home when we visit even though we haven't technically stayed there (well I stayed there as a child but that was forever ago!) We have ended up there at least once every time we have gone down the last few snall trips. The grounds are amazing, peaceful and so Disney. I am keeping my fingers and toes crossed for a good discount so we can stay there the whole trip! I have an AP so I am hoping between that and a general room discount we can make it work.

Sounds like it will be quite a few months before we will find out though...(im)patiently waiting!!

Up next...dining
Have you looked into renting DVC points?

Nala06

Original Poster
Happy planning!

Can totally relate to you. DH and I went to WDW a few times as older kids. And then rekindled our love of Disney with a day trip while staying in Naples. 2016 was a rough year for our family and we decided that this is the time we have with the boys while they are young and goodness we are going to spend it making memories at Disney!

We have taken all of our boys right before they turn 3. As they are still free ;) and it is so amazing to experience the magic through their eyes. Meeting the real Mickey Mouse has created memories that I will cherish forever!! We are heading there next month four our youngest DSs 3rd birthday and also staying at the Poly!

Can't wait to see more of your plans!

Do you think it was worth the cost and effort of going with a toddler? I think we will have an absolute blast, but am not naive enough to know there won't be challenges. Any tips or thoughts you can pass along?

Our current plan is to take things slow, especially with a longer trip planned. Take advantage of rd and emh, head back after lunch for rests, then go back out for dinner and a few more rides. I have a few mornings and evenings with no plans to keep him from being over stimulated.

Nala06

Original Poster
Have you looked into renting DVC points?
We definitely considered it, but figured it wouldn't work for this trip. When the 11 mo booking mark rolled around there were a lot of things going on that we felt we couldn't fully commit to the trip, and with dvc you have to be pretty sure. So we passed this time. Although I would love to actually own dvc (resale) a few years down the road if this trip is successful and something we could see ourselves doing again and again.

PrincessL

Do you think it was worth the cost and effort of going with a toddler? I think we will have an absolute blast, but am not naive enough to know there won't be challenges. Any tips or thoughts you can pass along?

Our current plan is to take things slow, especially with a longer trip planned. Take advantage of rd and emh, head back after lunch for rests, then go back out for dinner and a few more rides. I have a few mornings and evenings with no plans to keep him from being over stimulated.

I will say at first we were in the boat that we are not going to Disney until the younges is 5 and can remember it. The day trip that we took with our oldest DS at 2.5 years old changed our minds. He may not remember it but DH and I will forever remember the awe in his eyes and how everything was so real to him. We want to have that experience with all of them. So, to answer your question we would absolutely recommend going with that age. it's worth every penny!

You know your child best but, what we have learned with our younger children is:

-resort location/pool are important to us. For either an afternoon nap or quick exit.
-we are rope drop people so we have morning plans at the park, afternoon nap/pool, and flexible evenings(similar to what you said:))
-keeping close to their schedule at home- meal times, nap, and bed especially for a longer trip if you want those last days to count!
-Plan your must do activities toward the begging get of your trip
-pack snacks and keep well hydrated
-max 1 TS per day
-2 days in the park and 1 day off
-stroller is a must
-Birnbaum's guide was a great resource to prepare them for Disney

Those are just a few off the top of my head! Sounds like you are off to a great start and have reasonable expectations!

Nala06

Original Poster
I will say at first we were in the boat that we are not going to Disney until the younges is 5 and can remember it. The day trip that we took with our oldest DS at 2.5 years old changed our minds. He may not remember it but DH and I will forever remember the awe in his eyes and how everything was so real to him. We want to have that experience with all of them. So, to answer your question we would absolutely recommend going with that age. it's worth every penny!

You know your child best but, what we have learned with our younger children is:

-resort location/pool are important to us. For either an afternoon nap or quick exit.
-we are rope drop people so we have morning plans at the park, afternoon nap/pool, and flexible evenings(similar to what you said:))
-keeping close to their schedule at home- meal times, nap, and bed especially for a longer trip if you want those last days to count!
-Plan your must do activities toward the begging get of your trip
-pack snacks and keep well hydrated
-max 1 TS per day
-2 days in the park and 1 day off
-stroller is a must
-Birnbaum's guide was a great resource to prepare them for Disney

Those are just a few off the top of my head! Sounds like you are off to a great start and have reasonable expectations!
Thanks so much for the reply! I feel like we are pretty prepared with all you have said. Its nice to hear our logic reaffirmed. I think its going to be pretty special. We have started watching some videos and listening to songsof things in the park abd he already loves that! I cant imagine what actually being there will be like. I will be a hot mess the whole trip lol :cry:

sheriffwoody

Hope it's a very magical trip for you! Keep an eye on the DVC rental site discount pages. Sometimes they have reservations that have already been made come up for grabs a little cheaper because people have had to cancel for some reason. The dates have never worked for me, but you might get lucky!

Nala06

Original Poster
Hope it's a very magical trip for you! Keep an eye on the DVC rental site discount pages. Sometimes they have reservations that have already been made come up for grabs a little cheaper because people have had to cancel for some reason. The dates have never worked for me, but you might get lucky!
Oh I keep on eye on them, mostly to try and justify a quick trip with my AP I did manage a night at Saratoga for our getaway last year for $125. What a steal!

Nala06

Original Poster
We can bookour dining in about a month, so I am finalizing everything there. A few places I am indecisive and would love some opinions! Note: all meals oop, no dining plan. These are all for different days as well.

1. Evening at AK for RoL: Tiffins dining package or Flamtree on its own and fp RoL? I have eaten at Flamtree and thought it was excellent, plus we could split a dinner there with a few sides between the 3 of us. Tiffins looks yummy but its significantly more expensive, but would give us the advantage of having a reserved seat for RoL.
2. Early evening spent at Epcot (not staying through Illuminations) and checking out the Boardwalk area resorts: Via Napoli or Beaches and Cream? We love pizza and love ice cream so its a tough call.
3. Evening not in the parks checking out Wilderness Lodge/Ft Wilderness: Whispering Canyon, Geyser Point, or Trials End. Ive eaten at Whispering Canyon and thought it was ok, I feel like the antics wouldnt make much sense to DS at that age. Have not tried the other two.

Thoughts and opinions would be much appreciated!

amjt660

Premium Member
We can bookour dining in about a month, so I am finalizing everything there. A few places I am indecisive and would love some opinions! Note: all meals oop, no dining plan. These are all for different days as well.

1. Evening at AK for RoL: Tiffins dining package or Flamtree on its own and fp RoL? I have eaten at Flamtree and thought it was excellent, plus we could split a dinner there with a few sides between the 3 of us. Tiffins looks yummy but its significantly more expensive, but would give us the advantage of having a reserved seat for RoL.
2. Early evening spent at Epcot (not staying through Illuminations) and checking out the Boardwalk area resorts: Via Napoli or Beaches and Cream? We love pizza and love ice cream so its a tough call.
3. Evening not in the parks checking out Wilderness Lodge/Ft Wilderness: Whispering Canyon, Geyser Point, or Trials End. Ive eaten at Whispering Canyon and thought it was ok, I feel like the antics wouldnt make much sense to DS at that age. Have not tried the other two.

Thoughts and opinions would be much appreciated!
I dined at Tiffins in December and loved it
It is expensive though
The ROL seats are supposed to be really good - read it here in a TR - cannot remember which one though

Max

Nala06

Original Poster
What are everyones opinions on emh? I have read its a great time to get a lot done vs the crowds that appear as the day goes on makes it not worth it. Our plan is to hit a park for emh or rd, leave around lunch for rest time, the likely hop to a different park for dinner and more exploring. Thoughts?

blreinsel

I pretty much always hit EMH when possible. You can get quite a bit done (most of the time). But with a good plan you'll accomplish mostly everything you want to do with or without EMH. I typically leave around lunch time and return in the evening as well.

Nala06

Original Poster
I pretty much always hit EMH when possible. You can get quite a bit done (most of the time). But with a good plan you'll accomplish mostly everything you want to do with or without EMH. I typically leave around lunch time and return in the evening as well.
I figured the toddler will be up early anyway, might as well hit the parks! :D

Nala06

Original Poster
BOG dinner questions:

I have eaten here for lunch once, and while it was good, it felt somewhat lacking. Does dinner feel a little more special since its TS and not QS? How does the food compare from lunch to dinner? I know this is also a hard ressie to get, what would some good alternatives be? That is on our one full MK day (with an afternoon break back at the Poly). So it could be anywhere on the resort loop.

blreinsel

Dinner is a little more intimate, at least in my opinion. Much less cafeteria-like. The food is mostly the same.. I'm not sure that there are even any changes between the two other than some desserts? I love having dinner there and it's fun to meet the Beast.

Nala06

Original Poster
Dinner is a little more intimate, at least in my opinion. Much less cafeteria-like. The food is mostly the same.. I'm not sure that there are even any changes between the two other than some desserts? I love having dinner there and it's fun to meet the Beast.
Thanks for replying! I think thats what i didnt like about lunch. For the impressive setting, i didnt like the qs aspect. I think I will give dinner a try, and meeting the beast sounds fun!

amjt660

Premium Member
Thanks for replying! I think thats what i didnt like about lunch. For the impressive setting, i didnt like the qs aspect. I think I will give dinner a try, and meeting the beast sounds fun!
We have done both lunch and dinner.
I agree that the table service aspect makes it better but the food is just okay

Max

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom