Looking For Disneyland Food

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
How would you compare Blue Bayou at DL? Only went once but I remember it was pretty darn good! Just curious as to thoughts on quality of DL TS vs. quantity of MK TS (note: I have not been at BOG nor Skipper Canteen for TS yet...but will come September).
Blue bayou has great atmosphere, but the food didn't make much of an impression. I actually liked the Big Thunder Ranch BBQ, but that's gone now. if I had to do TS at Disneyland, it'd be Blue Bayou now, but I'd really just save the time and money and get QS at Zocolo or French Market.

Last edited:

Bairstow

Blue bayou has a brat atmosphere, but the food didn't make much of an impression. I actually liked the Big Thunder Ranch BBQ, but that's gone now. if I had to do TS at Disneyland, it'd be Blue Bayou now, but I'd really just save the time and money and get QS at Zocolo or French Market.

Agreed. At Blue Bayou you're paying for the privilege of getting to eat inside the Pirates ride. It makes a little more sense if you do it to get the preferred Fantasmic seating.

Carthay Circle, on the other hand, is right up there with the best Disney park or resort restaurants anywhere.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
Blue bayou has great atmosphere, but the food didn't make much of an impression. I actually liked the Big Thunder Ranch BBQ, but that's gone now. if I had to do TS at Disneyland, it'd be Blue Bayou now, but I'd really just save the time and money and get QS at Zocolo or French Market.
And while I'm at it, TS at DCA isn't very good, either, although I haven't tried everywhere. But I do like the Asian food court style stand in Pacific Wharf, and I really enjoy Flo's in Carsland. Once again, QS over TS.

Me 'Earties

Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate

Thanks for your thoughts. I'll have to check out Zocolo next time (we did have French Market and loved that QS). Just wondering: what do you mean by brat atmosphere? As in children running around or teenagers? Perhaps the one time we were there, the food/atmosphere was quite enjoyable (but I only have one data point!)

Bairstow

And while I'm at it, TS at DCA isn't very good, either, although I haven't tried everywhere. But I do like the Asian food court style stand in Pacific Wharf, and I really enjoy Flo's in Carsland. Once again, QS over TS.

Which sit-down restaurants at DCA have you tried?
The only one we had time for was Carthay Circle.

Me 'Earties

Agreed. At Blue Bayou you're paying for the privilege of getting to eat inside the Pirates ride. It makes a little more sense if you do it to get the preferred Fantasmic seating.

Carthay Circle, on the other hand, is right up there with the best Disney park or resort restaurants anywhere.

Wait-it's a brat atmosphere bc you're inside Pirates? Actually, didn't realize that when I was there; just wanted to try a TS while in DL. Isn't the San Angel Inn alongside the Three Caballeros ride/inside Mexico Pavillion? Or how about the Garden Grill and the Land Pavillion? Or Coral Reef with the fish tanks? Maybe I'm equating your thought that being inside an attraction is equal to brat atmosphere. Maybe I'm not following your logic. But maybe I'm just a brat.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
Thanks for your thoughts. I'll have to check out Zocolo next time (we did have French Market and loved that QS). Just wondering: what do you mean by brat atmosphere? As in children running around or teenagers? Perhaps the one time we were there, the food/atmosphere was quite enjoyable (but I only have one data point!)
Typo. "Great atmosphere".

Bairstow

Wait-it's a brat atmosphere bc you're inside Pirates? Actually, didn't realize that when I was there; just wanted to try a TS while in DL. Isn't the San Angel Inn alongside the Three Caballeros ride/inside Mexico Pavillion? Or how about the Garden Grill and the Land Pavillion? Or Coral Reef with the fish tanks? Maybe I'm equating your thought that being inside an attraction is equal to brat atmosphere. Maybe I'm not following your logic. But maybe I'm just a brat.

What do brats have to do with anything?
The food at Blue Bayou is surf-n-turf and cajun.
I'm not even sure there is a place that does German sausages and things at Disneyland.

DManRightHere

Frankly I thought the options at DL were lacking. Our 2nd day I literally just went to Mcdonalds and bought a bunch of food. I know we ate burgers at some tiki type bar at a hotel, had a Louisiana type meal at a CS restaurant that was quite good, and ate at the V8 cafe.

MK all I can really think of is Columbia Harbour House. There is the new mexican place I'd like to try, and there is Pinnochio Village Haus, be our guest, and the friars nook,

Maybe MK can have a more lax food options since Epcot is a monorail ride away along with 4 monorail hotels.

mouse_luv

Why isn't there a more diverse selection of food in the Magic Kingdom (MK) vs. the Disneyland Park? While I assume some of it is cultural, I would think that healthier and more interesting menu items would appeal to guests.

Does the 2M +/- guest per year difference (Magic Kingdom in 1st) between the two parks drive some operational ability to offer a greater variety of food options?

We were at Disneyland a couple of years ago and it was great to see great menus in the park; skewers, sandwiches, bread bowl soups, varying sides, more than just fries and apples as sides for sure. It seems like most counter service restaurants in the Magic Kingdom are burger and hot dog joints.

Is it a demand thing? East coast folks only eat burgers and such in the parks or is it an operational, cost/volume thing?

I get that the other parks offer a greater variety but this is specific to the MK.

Simple, obvious answer..because it's not Disneyland.

More in depth if you were to really look, it's not all hot dog and burger joints. There are places you can get Asian food, Tex Mex, seafood, baked potatoes, bbq and mashed potatoes, "Italian" etc.. in the MK.

Last edited:

Matt_Black

Simple, obvious answer..because it's not Disneyland.

More in depth if you were to really look, it's not all hot dog and burger joints. There are places you can get asian food, Tex Mex, seafood, baked potatoes, bbq and mashed potatoes, "Italian" etc.. in the MK.

And even the burgers and hot dogs have plenty of variety, plussed up so it's not your standard "meat, bun, cheese, maybe pickle".

Me 'Earties

What do brats have to do with anything?
The food at Blue Bayou is surf-n-turf and cajun.
I'm not even sure there is a place that does German sausages and things at Disneyland.

Haha didn't mean brats as in the German food. Brat as in childish behavior. Was being facetious in regards to michwolf's post in which you agreed to; in which was corrected from brat to great. So it's all a moot point

Sean M Nies

How would you compare Blue Bayou at DL? Only went once but I remember it was pretty darn good! Just curious as to thoughts on quality of DL TS vs. quantity of MK TS (note: I have not been at BOG nor Skipper Canteen for TS yet...but will come September).
Two compare the two is pointless, WDW TS and WDW TS are the same. Both amazing.

Sean M Nies

Carthay Circle was amazing and very similar to Hollywood Brown Derby.

Sean M Nies

Why isn't there a more diverse selection of food in the Magic Kingdom (MK) vs. the Disneyland Park? While I assume some of it is cultural, I would think that healthier and more interesting menu items would appeal to guests.

Does the 2M +/- guest per year difference (Magic Kingdom in 1st) between the two parks drive some operational ability to offer a greater variety of food options?

We were at Disneyland a couple of years ago and it was great to see great menus in the park; skewers, sandwiches, bread bowl soups, varying sides, more than just fries and apples as sides for sure. It seems like most counter service restaurants in the Magic Kingdom are burger and hot dog joints.

Is it a demand thing? East coast folks only eat burgers and such in the parks or is it an operational, cost/volume thing?

I get that the other parks offer a greater variety but this is specific to the MK.

I was at DL a few months ago for the first time. WDW has much more diverse menus vs. DL and I assume it's soley because of the size. You can find unique menu items at DL but nothing like WDW and I am refering to Epcot. Epcot alone has a better dining options than all DL or DCA combined. Carthay Circle and Napa Rose, in my opinion are as good as it gets at DL. I loved them both. I could name name 7 - 10 comparible restaurants at WDW resort.

Matt_Black

I was at DL a few months ago for the first time. WDW has much more diverse menus vs. DL and I assume it's soley because of the size. You can find unique menu items at DL but nothing like WDW and I am refering to Epcot. Epcot alone has a better dining options than all DL or DCA combined. Carthay Circle and Napa Rose, in my opinion are as good as it gets at DL. I loved them both. I could name name 7 - 10 comparible restaurants at WDW resort.

Right, but the OP wasn't talking about DL vs. WDW, but rather DL vs. MK specifically, which I don't necessarily think is fair. Even if you think the options within the MK proper are limited, you can hop out, get on the monorail, and go to the Grand Floridian or the Polynesian.

Sean M Nies

Right, but the OP wasn't talking about DL vs. WDW, but rather DL vs. MK specifically, which I don't necessarily think is fair. Even if you think the options within the MK proper are limited, you can hop out, get on the monorail, and go to the Grand Floridian or the Polynesian.

Ok gotcha! Yeah, I agree, not comparible but jumping on monorail to the resorts is the option. Good point!

VoiceGuy07

Original Poster
Ok gotcha! Yeah, I agree, not comparible but jumping on monorail to the resorts is the option. Good point!

Should have been more specific in my original post but the ask was specific to quick service - and sorry to create such an uproar. For us, quick service does not = exiting the park and having lunch at a monorail resort or even the princess breakfast. It's eat and get back to the rides.

To add, we have been going to WDW at least annually for 25 yrs, have stayed at most of the resorts, and have eaten at almost all restaurants on the property (minus the new Disney Springs offerings). We're well aware of what WDW is capable of and has to offer - in some cases, beyond amazing.

As a whole, the food is awesome at WDW. Was simply trying to understand why the vast majority of quick service menus at Disneyland offer selections where burgers, dogs, and the usual things you see at the MK are not even on the menu. Bairstow from the previous response in the thread got it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom