Look forward to that "alone time"

jlevis

I completely understand the desire for alone time at the parks (though it might be hard to do among thousands of people :wave:). But, I don't think I could enjoy myself. For me a big part of the parks is the sharing of the experience be it with my wife or our sons and grandkids. I just love the look of joy on my grandsons face as we plunge down Splash.

I mentioned in my thread about cherishing alone time to just do whatever, but I was surprised about how many people responded saying they take SOLO trips to Disney. THAT I could not see myself doing. AS much as I love that alone time I DO look forward to meeting up say for dinner with the family, or meeting back at the room at night after we have been apart, BUT to make a trip all by myself to Disney..I for one could not do that...its too much about family for me. BUT to each his/her own

I have done a few trips alone and have had a blast. I am a HUGE people person and I wasn't sure how much fun I would have. However, it is so nice to just stop and be on one's own schedule. The meals were some of the most enjoyable times. I try to pick places that have exceptional CM or opportunities to interact with other guests. The Biergarten is the BEST place to eat if you are alone cause you get to sit with other people. I have met some really interesting people eating there on my own.
It is also nice to be able to watch fireworks shows or parades alone. I don't have to squeeze 12 people into a small space or worry about losing people while we are exiting after Wishes. I wouldn't want to do only solo trips because I love watching my niece and the rest of my family as they experience the parks. However, it is fun when I need a short time away from work and reality.

montyz81

I have done a trip every year for work an end up in the parks alone for at least part or all of one day. I have such a great time as I decide where I go and what I want to do! Plus the tickets are usually free as I have been working in Epcot for my company for the entire week.

ddbowdoin

I could do time alone in the park, a morning or evening perhaps... but honestly, my fiance and I get along so well at the world that I couldn't imagine being there without her. I actually think I would have less fun if I were alone and not with her, guess we have a strong relationship huh?

WorldKey

I have done a few trips alone and have had a blast. I am a HUGE people person and I wasn't sure how much fun I would have. However, it is so nice to just stop and be on one's own schedule. The meals were some of the most enjoyable times. I try to pick places that have exceptional CM or opportunities to interact with other guests. The Biergarten is the BEST place to eat if you are alone cause you get to sit with other people. I have met some really interesting people eating there on my own..

I have gone to MK/EPCOT alone when I have been in Orlando for business and added an extra day (I'm already there so I can't miss WDW!). Throughly enjoyed myself - especially in World Showcase just wandering. But I really wanted to go to the Biergarten and wasn't sure if I would be comfortable on my own. But now that you mention it, when I went to a biergarten in Munich alone I had a blast!! If there is a next time I won't be so timid!

RetiringIn2005

I always like it when DD32 goes to WDW with DW and myself. I don't feel guilty heading out on my own and leaving DW by herself. Some of my favorite times at WDW are when I wander around the parks by myself, drinking coffee (or a brew at Epcot :)) and taking pictures. Plus I love to just sit and people watch.

acishere

I have never really lived alone save for a few months here and there. I like it that way. But I always need to set time for myself to collect my thoughts and have a break. I especially need to do this if I'm travelling with my family. At Disney I would jog in the morning exploring the grounds before grabbing breakfast and bringing it to the room. Later in the day if I needed to escape my family after a day in the parks I would go for a run again. No matter how tired I was after a full day in the parks, I usually needed to take that second run.

As for eating alone, I've done it many times and will continue to. Sometimes I'm just too hungry and can't wait for others. It is either boring or the most peaceful part of my day depending where I go. Sometimes I just drive to the beach and watch the waves from my car while eating, its a relaxing way to have breakfast. If I have to eat in a full service place alone like I did on my Boston trip this week, then its just lonely. I could never eat alone in Disney, its a place where everyone gets together. When I experience a place difference than my home, its nice to have someone to share it with.

Tinkerbella16

Yup, I'm from Central Jersey. Only about an hour and 15 minutes from Cherry Hill. How about yourself? My original plan was to do a solo trip around December this year because I wanted to experience Disney during Christmas since I experienced it during Halloween last year. But, the right prices lined up for the Art of Animation resort plus the inclusion of Epcot's 30th Anniversary made me pull the trigger on another fall getaway. I can't wait to see the Art of Animation in person, all the concept artwork for it looks incredible.

I am about 15 minutes from Cherry Hill. I usually go in November, the 2nd week when everything is decked out for christmas and I love it. But like you said, prices were just better to go in September.. and I'm told that I might just love september just as much with the low crowds/wait times! You are staying at AOA? how exciting!

Tinkerbella16

I completely understand the desire for alone time at the parks (though it might be hard to do among thousands of people :wave:). But, I don't think I could enjoy myself. For me a big part of the parks is the sharing of the experience be it with my wife or our sons and grandkids. I just love the look of joy on my grandsons face as we plunge down Splash.

Everyone is different. I am a 26 year old single girl.. I don't have a companion and I'm probably the last one out of my group of friends who doesn't have a kid yet, so I am taking this chance while I'm young and single. One day I will have a family, and I won't get these opportunities to just wake up one day and decide to book a solo trip! :)

Every trip since I was old enough and knew WDW like the back of my hand, I always went off on my own for a few hours and those times were just so relaxing and not having any arguing as to what to do next and where to go, was a great feeling. :)

sittinpretty

how the heck do people eat alone?

When dining by yourself you are usually very relaxed and chilled out, as you haven't had to consider anyone else for the whole day and you are dining at the exact moment that you want to eat and at the place that you want to eat. You sit there in a good mood, you people watch, you chat leisurely to the waiter and enjoy the meal.

I often spend an hour, hour and a half in bliss, drinking a few glasses of wine with the meal and feel utterly heavenly. I take a book and read a couple of chapters during the main course and then put it away. What I do know is that I often look over at couples who barely exchange a word in the same time, and I see harassed parents of demanding kids and I feel sorry for them.

I say what is not to like about dining alone?! You can be yourself, have a fun time and afterwards you can ride Expedition Everest five times in a row if you want!

JIMINYCR

I have to confess that I'm not a big parade fan. OK, I will watch them for a while but then I'll get antsy just standing there watching the parade go by and want to go on a ride. They just don't thrill me. My wife on the other hand loves them, could sit all day watching them. So it's those times she is all right if I go off on my own and meet up with her later on at a designated spot. My alone time allows me to do rides she has no interest in or shop for a surprise gift for her, get in some extra pin trading, etc. Our marriage has been give and take, she gives me the freedom to play sports, I give her freedom to do crafts. There's no need for us to be tied to each other 24 hours a day. We have a healthy marriage because of it. So we know there's time at Disney for us to go off on solo time.

steve2wdw

WDW Fan Since 1973
I usually travel to WDW 2 to 4 times a year. Two of those trips are usually solo trips and typically they are 6 to 8 days each. I love my solo trips and generally I get to connect, once or twice per trip, with Disney friends I've made over the years. Because of the solo trips, when the family trips to Disney roll around, I usually do what everyone else wants to do, since I've had my time already!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom