long time disneyworld traveler---1st time going to disneyland

david treutelaar

Original Poster
going 1st week in Jan 16 to CA and plan to try Disneyland while were there...going for 1 day only.......been to disneyworld 8x in 8 years and 1 disney cruise.....so we have vast disney experience

how are the crowds in early January?

i see a few different rides...excited about the Indiana Jones ride.......of the new/different rides which ones are definite do's and which new ones should we skip?

anything else you'd recommend doing in CA? were going Whale watching, the zoo, the trees

Mickey5150

You are right about Indiana Jones, as far as what else to see really depends on what rides you like at WDW. Basically every ride at Disneyland that also is at WDW is somewhat different. Each mountain is different, pirates is different, the haunted mansion, even the rides in fantasyland are different, so trying the rides in Disneyland can be a fun treat. If I had to pick 10 rides at Disneyland I would go with... Indiana Jones, Pirates, Mr. Toads, Pinocchio, Alice in Wonderland, Matterhorn, Nemo Subs, Storybook boats or train, Space Mountain, Small World. But really, just try and do everything, lol. Sorry I cannot help with January crowds since never been at that time.

PrincessJenn5795

After January 1st the crowds are pretty light, but they do tend to start refurbing rides then, so you will want to check for closures as you get closer. If you are only Disneyland park I would say your can't misses are Pirates (way better than WDW's version), Indy, the Finding Nemo subs, and probably the Matterhorn since they don't have those at WDW. Make sure you hit Indy early in the day or get a Fastpass, because even when the park isn't crowded that ride gets pretty long lines. I personally like the Splash Mountain at DL better than WDW because the drop is steeper, and they just updated Big Thunder so it is really awesome now. I love the Haunted Mansion, but the WDW is way better, so that could be on the skip list.

For food, my favorite place to eat in DL is Cafe Orleans, but Blue Bayou in Pirates is a pretty cool experience if you have never been. Most of the counter service places are okay, but Hungry Bear is actually pretty good and they have some different options from the standard chicken nuggets and burgers so that is always a good choice. Bengal BBQ in Adventure Land is also pretty good for a quick bite as long as you are not a vegetarian. Stay clear of Tomorrowland Terrace...I have never been happy after eating there.

If you make it over to DCA California Screamin and Radiator Springs racers are really fun. Grizzley River Run is like Kali River Rapids in DAK, but with way better drops. You might not want to go on it January though, unless it is abnormally warm for that time of year. The World of Color is an amazing show, so if you are over there you should definitely check it out.

KCheatle

Indy is great. I LOVED POTC, and Splash. Space Mountain has been updated, too. It lacks the traditional theming at MK, but it is a lot of fun. Small world is great too - like twice the length. Are you going to DCA? It's a great park! Cars Land is unbelievable!!

sfeinst

Went to DL 2 years ago. My first time since 1974 when I have no memory of it. At DL, Indiana Jones, Mr Toad, Pinocchio, Storybook, Alice in Wonderland all do not exist in WDW so worth doing. The following are variations so the ride feels different. Tarzan Treehouse (instead of Swiss Family), Space Mountain (cars are 2 people wide instead of 1), Splash Mountain (cars are 1 person wide instead of 2 - because of this, water pours in near rocks - you will get wet), Pirates (the beginning is different), Toon Town (well gone from WDW but even if there, DL has more houses).

At CA the big ride is Cars. Went three days and could not even get a fastpass. Waits were in the 3 hour range so we never road. If you can snag a fastpass for it, do it. You can see part from outside and it looks fun. They also have a Monsters Inc dark ride (similar to Peter Pan or Winnie the Pooh).

The rest is similar. I did not mention Matterhorn. Not in WDW but I wasn't big on it. The cars need updating. They were very uncomfortable.

Sorry, no idea on crowds. We went in the summer.

david treutelaar

Original Poster
thanks for all the advice....not going to CA adventure---had to pick 1 park as there is so much we want to do in CA and also cant justify another $500 for a 2nd day......excited to hear the rides are a bit different...have 2 younger girls excited about the different castle....we have overdone disneyworld and dont even go to the shows anymore the past 2 times we went...8x in 8 years was overkill...we can recite all the words for them we know them so well.....any different shows to see at disneyland?

sfeinst

I forgot to mention. You can enter Sleeping Beauty's castle. If you go to the back (Fantasyland), there's a doorway (I forget if it is left or right facing the castle, but I lean towards right). You get to walk a small hallway and there are windows where you see scenes from Sleeping Beauty. You come out the other side of the castle. If you have young girls, they may enjoy it. We chanced upon it one night while just sitting near the castle.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom