Local Fireworks Shows?

disneytopdog

Original Poster
How many folks went to there local fireworks show tonight and thought "No Big Deal"? Or is it just me, that once you see the fireworks over The Magic Kingdom & the castle, everything else is just Ho Hum. You folks In Washington DC and New York dont count,

Pabgo

It's the same with me. They had about 4 different shows over here in Destin, and they're just not the same! It's like "Where's the music?"

AEfx

Hah...didn't even bother. I know tons of people who were going and got invited to several different sites multiple times, but I settled for a small BBQ at a friends house instead. I just can't get excited over a few minutes of okay fireworks when I saw Wishes! four times last month.

AEfx

jessfriends

How many folks went to there local fireworks show tonight and thought "No Big Deal"? Or is it just me, that once you see the fireworks over The Magic Kingdom & the castle, everything else is just Ho Hum. You folks In Washington DC and New York dont count,

I went to see my local fireworks (I am in the suburbs in Pittsburgh). They were nice but nothing to talk about. They actually had it on June 30. I guess it was because they thought people would go to downtown instead our local one. I did catch a bit of Downtown Pittsburgh's on TV tonight and they were cool but once again nothing major compared to Disney.

Skipper Dan

:ROFLOL:THIS IS SO FUNNY! I called my aunt today, and we were talking about the same thing! I was going to start a thread just like this! :lol: She said, when you see other firework shows, the biggest, extravagant fireworks they have, are like the duds at Disney!:ROFLOL:

frankd1962

I didn't go this year to the local show because I saw each fireworks show at the Resort and had Epcot's every night if I got back to Pop early enough. So why did I want some water down version. The Disney fireworks are the best.

DonaldD23

I worked for WDW for almost 4 years, I saw their fireworks shows hundreds of times each...and yes, they are spectacular and when you add the music in they are pretty uncomparable to any other fireworks show.

Even though I no longer work for Disney I still have any annual pass and go quite often and still see the fireworks. However, despite the fact that it would have only taken me about 20 minutes to get to a park from my home, I decided to "go local" this year and I went to the fireworks display in Groveland, FL (which is right next to Clermont). There was no music, and they shells went off a bit slower than Disney's (less tubes to launch from), but they lasted about 25 minutes and were just as beautiful as Disney's. Plus they were launched over a lake so the reflection was amazing. I really enjoyed them.

It was nice to see a local show again after seeing only Disney's fireworks in the 7 years that I have lived in Florida. Unless someone is in town visiting next July 4th, I think I will go see another local display instead of WDW's...

Tinkerbella16

All of the fireworks shows were cancelled in our area of southern NJ. :cry:

But im reall not sad, because i agree with everyone else on this topic. Nothing compares to disney fireworks. They are truely amazing.

Nemo14

Actually I have to disagree somewhat. Last year we were driving home from VA on the 4th and coming through PA, NY, and CT we saw several local displays, one after another. It was so touching, like we were seeing America itself celebrating a birthday. We witnessed similar things last night on our way home from CT, although most were basically backyard displays. I just get goosebumps thinking about how no matter what we think of the present politics of our country, deep inside we're all proud to be Americans, and we celebrate its birth.
Don't get me wrong, I love Wishes and RoE, and I always tear up when we watch them, but there is something sooooo special about these local celebrations that I hope we never lose. :)

VT GAL

We were joking that we are now "fireworks snobs"!!! :ROFLOL:

The only interesting thing was that the first song that they played was the music that plays on the Year of a Million Dreams website. It was the only exciting part for me, but it seemed really weird to hear it there.

But seriously, it was a good time and it makes me REALLY look forward to the fireworks in November!!!

ypcat

We went to the local fireworks shows both in town and down in Indianapolis to get find good settings and get practice for taking fireworks pictures when we are at WDW this fall.

We did comment when the Indy show was delayed about 20 minutes due to a little rain about an hour prior to show time about how WDW fireworks don't get canceled for a little water.

TAC

Wishes? Eh... 10 minutes? Big deal.

Other fireworks are no big deal, eh ?

http://www.thunderoverlouisville.org/show/show-fireworks.asp

Now in its 18th year, Thunder Over Louisville continues to deliver a pyrotechnics spectacular like no other. Created as the Opening Ceremonies of the Kentucky Derby Festival, it offers an explosive kick-off to two entire weeks of celebration in Louisville, Kentucky and Southern Indiana. With an estimated average attendance of half a million people, it has become the largest annual event in its region.
The show continues to be the largest annual pyrotechnics display in North America thanks to the artistry of Zambelli Internationale and the production of Visual Presentations.
"It's the kind of show you have to see to believe", says Matt Gibson, Derby Festival Vice President of Events. "We have great television coverage of the event, but unless you are there in person, you can't FEEL the fireworks pounding in your chest and the concrete vibrate underneath your feet. Thunder is the kind of show that needs to be felt and not just seen and heard."
Staging the pyrotechnic spectacular of Thunder each year for the Derby Festival is the First Family of Fireworks. Zambelli Fireworks Internationale first became involved with Thunder Over Louisville in 1991. The annual show is larger than the opening and closing ceremonies of the Atlanta and Barcelona Olympics combined. According to the Zambelli's it is unchallenged as the largest annual pyrotechnic production in North America.
To assemble a show the size of Thunder, Zambelli Internationale utilizes eight tractor trailers filled with nearly 60 tons of fireworks shells. The physical set-up includes 250 tons of launching tubes, some as high as 10 feet with a diameter of 1 and 1/2 feet. Two million pounds of sand will pack the firing tubes on 1,800 feet of barges. Almost 700 miles of wire cable connecting 20 firing boards are tied to the command post for synchronization to the music. This is the largest show the Zambellis perform each year and the Zambellis are the largest fireworks family in the world.
The magic of Thunder is in the formula of the show says Wayne Hettinger, Show Director and owner of Visual Presentations. "Each year, people think we make the show longer to be the largest show and that's just not the case. The secret with Thunder has been to pack as much firepower into 28 minutes as possible and produce a series of 'finales'." Hettinger has it down to a science working with the team from Zambelli to create a heart-stopping, eye-popping show.
"It all starts with the music", continues Hettinger. "We work to lay out a soundtrack that most everyone will be able to relate to a couple of songs. This enables people to bring their own experience with these songs and project them into the show they're watching. It's very gratifying to see people start to move and react to their favorite cuts of the soundtrack and it gives Zambelli the foundation on which to build the show."

Disney has NOTHING to compare to this show.

EMThompsen

I live in Boston & the firworks there are really good. But not as good as Disney's. However, If you're in Boston you get to hear The Boston Pops !

robhedin

Thunder does have good fireworks...

We've seen Thunder Over Louisville (usually get tickets to watch from the decks of the Belle of Louisville for an absolutely fantastic view) and the fireworks are awesome... the "bridge over the river kwai" set is something to see. As far as fireworks go I'm not sure it can be topped-- lots of explosions... but... as far as the overall *show* goes, I've gotta go with the WDW Independence Day shows (especially Epcot's)-- the music is an integral part (and you can actually hear it); Epcots Independence Day finale also lets you feel the explosions and the concrete shake underneath you... all to the culmination of "The Battle Hymn of the Republic" -- followed by the sounds of everyone around you singing along to "God Bless the USA" as they walk out... very cool.

rob.

Ashley Michelle

I live in Boston also!
I live near power lines and up on a big hill so every year I go back in the power lines because I can see about 5 different shows from different towns, but for some reason this year wasn't special. Not only was I sitting in the rain drenched but nothing can beat Disney :)
So I ended up inside watching the Boston Pops!

cb3k

This is going to sound really bad, but being from Florida and going to college at UCF (located 30 mins from the world) I am at the parks at least once a week, and make sure to never miss a fourth of July or New Years Eve at either MK or EPCOT. This year was a lil different, I am out in Houston doing an internship for the summer, and had to spend my 4th lighting off small fireworks in a little neighborhood in Spring, Texas. Needless to say, as we are lighting off Artillery Shells (very small version of a standard firework in the sky) I am making sure to send off 3 at a time, and sing "Wishessss" as they explode and continue on with the remainder of the song. The neighbors thought I was a lil crazy, but really didnt look at me strangely until I started saying "Let your conscience be your guide" and then lit off the "crackling ones" (the ones used during the "villains" part...I even saved the crackling ones for the middle of the show to give myself some sort of ambience)...Anyways, that was my very normal 4th with a Disney twist.

Dallas fireworks displays

I've gotten to see three different fireworks displays over the weekend in the Dallas area.

The first was at Fair Park in Dallas, and they apparently had a technical problem and EVERY firework went off at the same time, before they probably intended them to go.....it was very spectacular though....I doubt any of the Disney parks would have such a problem occur. (Which is a good thing! Hearing music without fireworks is no fun.

The second was Addison, TX's "Kaboom Town" which is quoted as one of the best in the country. Didn't come close to Disney World's fireworks, but it came pretty darn close in my opinion.

Finally, the show in Carrollton, TX. It was a nice fireworks display, but the plus was that from that site, you can *literally* see up to five other fireworks shows, albeit without any music.

Just wanted to put my two cents in! :)

C. Jackson
Dallas, TX

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom