RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
Original Poster
image.jpg

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
Original Poster
From Entertainment Weekly Live Blog

11:19 a.m. Bailey announces The Jungle Book. “We strive to both honor what’s come before while saying something new. And with this title, the bar is very, very high,” he says. He explained they want to bring back the characters from the 1967 original and honor the integrity of that film as well as Rudyard Kipling’s novel. He promises “heart-stopping action and incredible wonder.” In finding a director, he says, “Our expectations were met and exceeded by a man who has the rare talent of being as good in front of the camera as behind it.” With that, Jon Favreau walks onstage.

11:22 a.m. In their earliest meetings about The Jungle Book, the question was, “Are we going to be adding anything to the tradition? Are we going to be building on something we already love?” Favreau says. Both he and Horn “had different perspectives on something that we both cared deeply about… Finding the balance between the iconic, mythic power of the Kipling and all of the images that I grew up with from the animated feature, how do you combine those things? … How do you build upon that legacy?”

11:25 a.m. Favreau says Walt Disney “was a storyteller first and foremost — but he also loved technology.” He wanted to extend the Disney legacy of incorporating the newest, cutting-edge technology, and doing something completely new with it. “It’s really about the craftsmen, it’s really about the artists. The men and women who work around the clock to make things perfect.”

11:26 a.m. Ben Kingsley as Bagheera, Lupita Nyong’o as Raksha and newcomer Neel Sethi as Mowgli came on stage next, and Favreau described the experience of shooting the film using motion-capture technology. “This is actually the first time you’re meeting any of these people, isn’t it Neel?” Favreau asks his young star. “Yes,” Sethi replies. “This is awesome.

11:29 a.m. Kingsley says, “When I was Neel’s age, I probably heard for the first time When You Wish Upon a Star and something inside me popped with a kind of recognition. Thanks Jon, and thanks Disney, for making me a part of something that moved me so much.”

11:30 a.m. Kingsley and Sethi did voice work together as part of the motion-capture process, and Kingsley recalls the experience: “Working with really, really young people teaches actors so much, because Neel has an astonishing purity, an amazing connection with his character, and to be with him for those wonderful magic days that Jon brought us together was very inspiring, and it’s so exciting to feel that my voice has been translated by brilliant technicians and artists.”

Kingsley jokes, “They say never work with children and animals. I worked with a child, I played an animal!”

11:32 a.m. “The basis for all of it are the choices the actors make,” Favreau says. “This was a really interesting process,” says Nyong’o, who is enjoying her first-ever trip to Disneyland. She never worked on the set with Sethi, but says she was very moved by watching him. “It was also very cool to work on an animal. I play a mother wolf, an I learned so much about the sophistication of wolfpacks… To be able to tap into that and to bring humanity to that was a really precious experience.”

ShoalFox

In the Parks
Yes
Personally, I like the animated movie, but think it's just 'okay.' Let's see how this turns out.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom