Rumor Lion King Flume Ride being considered for Animal Kingdom

MerlinTheGoat

Which POTC are we talking about? POTC at Disneyland is like the 4th most thrilling ride in the park.
Any of them, none of the drops in pretty much any version of POTC are particularly thrilling. And when I said we need more calm rides, I was referring specifically to Animal Kingdom. Disneyland has plenty of calmer rides with a wide appeal. At the moment, one of the only decent non-thrilling rides in AK that pretty much everyone can go on is Navi River. That plus the Wildlife Express Train.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Sorry if I missed it but what type of flume are we talking here? Small World (no thrill), Pirates (mild thrill), or Splash (bigger thrill)?
1713395736015.png

mickEblu

Any of them, none of the drops in pretty much any version of POTC are particularly thrilling. And when I said we need more calm rides, I was referring specifically to Animal Kingdom. Disneyland has plenty of calmer rides with a wide appeal. At the moment, one of the only decent non-thrilling rides in AK that pretty much everyone can go on is Navi River. That plus the Wildlife Express Train.

I agree with AK needing family friendly ride. I was just using your post as a platform to give my opinion that I think POTC at Disneyland (because of the first drop in the dark) is more thrilling than any ride not named Splash Mountain, Thunder Mountain or Space Mountain.

MerlinTheGoat

I agree with AK needing family friendly ride. I was just using your post as a platform to give my opinion that I think POTC at Disneyland (because of the first drop in the dark) is more thrilling than any ride not named Splash Mountain, Thunder Mountain or Space Mountain.
Add at least Matterhorn and Indiana Jones to that. Arguably all of the Star Wars rides too. There's a very large gulf of the thrill level between POTC and something like Splash or BTM.

lazyboy97o

Sorry..please forgive my ignorance..what exactly does blue sky phrase mean? Thank you very much!
It’s is the first phase of design, followed by:

Concept Design
Feasibility (when the green light will typically be given)
Schematic Design
Design Development (Facility) / Detailed Design (Show)
Construction Documentation

Each phase will last a few months. As a project moves from each phase the design documentation becomes more detailed, moving from more diagrammatic design documents to the detailed documents used for construction. So-called “concept art” is developed and updated through all phases of design.

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
I guess if they can have Frozen and The Gran Fiesta Tour next to each other in Epcot, then this and Navi can coexist.
The new Rapunzel ride and Frozen ride on Fantasy Springs at TDS are both boat rides and (essentially) next to each other, so there is president.

As far as the ride, I'd be totally fine if it had no drop if it was on the size/level of detail as Sinbad’s Storybook Voyage at TDS... that such a fun ride!

doctornick

You wouldn’t do Pirates of the Caribbean without it being a water based ride, similarly you wouldn’t make Space Mountain a water based ride.

While I understand that thematically it could work, a water based attraction is not the first thing that comes to my mind if I could have an attraction based on TLK.

To the first point, I would certainly agree that some ride experiences are more conducive to certain ride mechanics. I don't think I denied that. But I don't see how you can take that point and apply it with any universal standard as some attraction concepts could work effectively with multiple different rides systems.

Specific to The Lion King, I don't see how you could argue that it "needs" a specific means of conveyance or that a water ride is someone incongruent with the IP but other options wouldn't be - how would a mechanical vehicle on tracks or an LPS ride or whatever feel "right" for a natural setting like the Pride Lands which have no evidence of human interaction? I think you could make a good case that a water based ride is as good as any possible system as at least it has some natural element to it.

I mean, I guess if you really wanted to use a system that fits the setting perfectly, they could train a bunch of gazelles and have people ride them around. But I'm not sure that would work out well....

mickEblu

The new Rapunzel ride and Frozen ride on Fantasy Springs at TDS are both boat rides and (essentially) next to each other, so there is president.

As far as the ride, I'd be totally fine if it had no drop if it was on the size/level of detail as Sinbad’s Storybook Voyage at TDS... that such a fun ride!

Yeah but they re not the same IP. I think there is zero chance. I’m actually surprised at how many people think this is a possibility.

doctornick

Yeah but they re not the same IP. I think there is zero chance. I’m actually surprised at how many people think this is a possibility.

I am not sure what you are saying. Are you suggesting that there is "zero chance" of having an additional Pandora ride that is water based? Or that there is "zero chance" of a Lion King ride being being in DAK?

mickEblu

I am not sure what you are saying. Are you suggesting that there is "zero chance" of having an additional Pandora ride that is water based? Or that there is "zero chance" of a Lion King ride being being in DAK?

Zero chance of another Pandora boat ride.

EDIT: lol oops I think misunderstood Coaster lovers post.

doctornick

An Encanto dark ride and a Lion King boat ride would do SO much for Animal Kingdom's slate of attractions

Yeah, I'm excited by what has been suggested about them because they sound like the kind of attraction that DAK really needs. I'd still prefer this all to be in addition to keeping Dinosaur/Boneyard and dinosaur presence in general but I do think it sounds like a positive step for the park even if I will miss dinos being there.

PREMiERdrum

Scene 1: Boat enters a (more or less) pitch black room, a simulated sunrise begins to light the room through projection effects, "Nants ingonyama bagithi baba!" Everyone jumps as they are startled by the opening lines of "Circle if Life" as it begin to play at maximum volume...
I haven't seen schematics, but it sounds like - if this were to move forward - we should expect a "healthy" mix of the dimensional, multi-screen projection settings (a la NRJ or the slick displays in the GotG queue and preshow) and AA characters.

Given the film's settings and the crew working on the project, the potential for this is... high.

MerlinTheGoat

Scene 1: Boat enters a (more or less) pitch black room, a simulated sunrise begins to light the room through projection effects, "Nants ingonyama bagithi baba!" Everyone jumps as they are startled by the opening lines of "Circle if Life" as it begin to play at maximum volume...
Sounds neat, though I think with a traditional flume system there would be issues synchronizing that sort of thing to passing boats. Unless they're set to stop or slow at specific moments ala Frozen. Hm...

You could do it with something like the Shanghai POTC tech where the boats are all on a guided track and can move and stop at specific spots while scenes play out. But that doesn't sound like what they're going for here.

I haven't seen schematics, but it sounds like - if this were to move forward - we should expect a "healthy" mix of the dimensional, multi-screen projection settings (a la NRJ or the slick displays in the GotG queue and preshow) and AA characters.

Given the film's settings and the crew working on the project, the potential for this is... high.
I hope so. I also hope the 2D artistry works out well. Disney artists today seem to have more experience creating 3D CGI scenes. Mickey was "technically" 2D, but it was a crude form. Very flash-like animation for characters and not a great use of the large space it was given. Felt very empty and the scenery was largely flattened against the wall without as much depth as i'd have expected.

Navi River had a better use of multi-dimensional sets using layered video. I'd like to see if they could do it with a classic hand drawn look. Sort of reminiscent of the multiplane camera technique. Though hopefully with far more AA's than Navi had (and I don't need anything near as fancy as the Shaman to be satisfied if it meant we got a lot more instead).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom