Life after Katrina

Woody13

That was a very moving post Debbie! I don't think most people realize all the implications involved in hurricane recovery. The property loss, the rats, the clean up efforts and the sentimental losses are just more than most people can take. As you point out, the worst part is the uncertainty.

I've seen people that are still in a state of shock from hurricane Ivan. I just returned from a trip over to Ocean Springs, MS and I observed that many people there are still in a daze. They don't know what to do. My main mission on this trip, was to help with the rat problem.

We brought in 4 cases of maki paraffin blocks (Bromadiolone) with tamper resistant bait stations to help reduce the rat population. We also put out some T-Rex snap traps and provided training as to how to properly use these devices. Using these methods, it shouldn't take too long before their rat problem is under control.

We saw a lot of "fly by night" contractors that promised all sorts of clean up and repair services. They wanted their money up front before they sent their "crews" into work. Never pay any contractor up front for anything! However, I'm sure you know that.

It's been a year and a half since we got hit by Ivan (and then Dennis, 10 months later) and our area is still not up to full speed. We still have many houses, businesses, roads and other facilities that are out of commission. Some will never come back. Others will take many years to repair.

Yes, it's all very depressing, but life goes on, I think. You, Debbie, are a saint! The help you have provided to your friends has been invaluable. None of us alone can rebuild this area, but if we each do just a little to help, we'll all make a full recovery and be better off in the long run. You are doing some great work Debbie and I'm proud of you! :kiss:

Mr.Pickles

Account Suspended
Mr.Pickles used to own several properties in New Orleans. But due to the poor area the properties were located Mr.Pickles had to sell them. Mr.Pickles profited handsomely.

Tigggrl

Hi Debbie!
BLESS YOU for all you are doing. There are few that would do as much as you and your family have been. I am sure you have an Angel looking over you, as you surely are an angel here on earth.:wave:

Debbie

Tigggrl said:
Hi Debbie!
BLESS YOU for all you are doing. There are few that would do as much as you and your family have been. I am sure you have an Angel looking over you, as you surely are an angel here on earth.:wave:

I sure wish an angel had led me to that ring. Don and I went back yesterday and sifted through part of her room. We found a few pieces and suddenly I looked down; and there was a ring! Only it was sapphires :(. We found a few things, and grabbed the table she wanted that was from Nicaragua. We worked about 45 minutes, but I started having an allergy attack from all of the dust. I started feeling bad and slept from 3:30pm yesterday, until 7am this morning. Even my stomach was upset. I guess I have to get one of those Hepa Mask from the ambulance.
I just wish we could give them something, somehow, that can start the healing process.

miles1

Hi Debbie-

I just read your whole thread here and I wish I knew what to say that would adequate express how bad I feel for those of you on the Gulf coast that have gone through this. It sounds that now, even 7 months later, things haven't gotten a whole lot better for many folks down there. I'd like to make some political comments, but I'll play by the rules.

Please continue to keep us posted on life down there. We don't hear as much up north about life in Miss. and Louisana as we were, or should, through the media anymore.

I'm left with the impression that you are one heck of a lady to endure this and spend so much time helping others. Good luck to you.

I do have two questions, though. Having been through all of this, and with hurricaine season approaching again, will you (or your family or friends) ever feel completely secure again? Have you ever thought of moving elsewhere in the country?

I'm not trying to be nosey, but I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Miles.

Ringo8n24

Debbie, I was brought to tears after reading your many updates. Tears are not new to me or, for that matter, any of us along the Gulf Coast for the past 7 months. I feel so much guilt for having made it through the hurricane with my home only receiving minor damage, yet I still have friends that have not even received a FEMA trailer yet. It has been rough. Finding out I was pregnant 2 weeks after the storm has done nothing else but add to my being emotional. I am thrilled to be having this child, but my emotions are multiplied now. I try not to go out into public. If I travel out, I try not go more than a mile South so I do not have to see any devastation. I only drive south of here when I visit my OBGYN as I have to drive down the beach highway to get there. I am brought back to August 29th everytime.

Hate to say it, but I am glad we cancelled our WDW trip we had planned for February. As a matter of fact, the day we were to be returning from WDW if we would have went I was terminated from my job(and insurance cancelled) because they are "out of money" due to Katrina. I had only 9 weeks to go at that point until the baby comes. It devastated my daughter, so I have to take a trip down to WDW after the baby comes. I know we cannot afford it, but it is just something I have to do mentally for my family. My husband is an electrician and has been doing side jobs to help cover us financially and to also feel good that he is contributing to the rebuilding of the coast.

Somehow we will all get through this and be much stronger. My doctor said my blood pressure and sugar is way up due to the stress of everything and I probably will go into labor early. I stress and also pray that this baby comes out ok. The anxiety of what we have breathed in over the past few months and the trauma we have seen/heard hopefully did not have any bad effects on the baby. She truly is a gift in all of this heartache and I am eagerly waiting her arrival.

Debbie

miles1 said:
Hi Debbie-

I just read your whole thread here and I wish I knew what to say that would adequate express how bad I feel for those of you on the Gulf coast that have gone through this. It sounds that now, even 7 months later, things haven't gotten a whole lot better for many folks down there. I'd like to make some political comments, but I'll play by the rules.

Please continue to keep us posted on life down there. We don't hear as much up north about life in Miss. and Louisana as we were, or should, through the media anymore.

I'm left with the impression that you are one heck of a lady to endure this and spend so much time helping others. Good luck to you.

I do have two questions, though. Having been through all of this, and with hurricaine season approaching again, will you (or your family or friends) ever feel completely secure again? Have you ever thought of moving elsewhere in the country?

I'm not trying to be nosey, but I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Miles.

Hi Miles, I just caught up with this thread and my apologies for taking so long to respond. I can only speak for myself here so here goes:
Will we ever feel completely secure again? I've never felt secure for most of my adult life. It is always in the back of your mind that the 'big one' would happen. Just like folks who live along in earthquake areas, tornado 'alleys', etc. Only, we have advance notice... We've had many years where hurricane season was barely a blip on the radar. I bet alot of folks used their plywood for other projects because it had been a long time that we had to use it to cover the windows. Up until 1998; we had never even had an evacuation order down here. Heck, I was 34 years old. But since Katrina, I can safely say that we can never let our guard down and that can be a good thing. My generation was the last that lived through a terrible storm (Betsy). Those born after Camille couldn't imagine devastation like last August. My boys see what a powerful hurricane can do and I was worried about this aspect. If they had grown to adults and hadn't experienced a Katrina situation; would they have taken the warnings seriously and gotten their families out of the way?
Have I thought about moving elsewhere in this country?
yes and no. My husband and I have discussed the 'what ifs' if our parish were to take a hit like Saint Bernard Parish. We both agree we will then probably have to move, probably to Katy, TX, where I have family. We both agree we don't like cold so up north is eliminated. I have elderly in-laws to consider in any decision as long as they are alive; they live for our son. The one thing you have to remember is that anywhere we go; we are like fish out of water. We live differently than most, talk funny, and have personalities which alot of people find strange. We are wayyyyy friendly....and are ready to give you the shirt off of our backs.... To move somewhere that doesn't have a trawling season, crawfish season, and the Sac-a-Lait are running........... how's a girl to stock up her freezer? We cook differently; usually enough to feed the next door neighbors on both sides. On Mondays, one can smell the pots of red beans cooking, especially when we have the windows open...Fridays during Lent are often an extension of a Sunday family day; where family and friends gather to eat crawfish after a hard week's work (followed on Sunday with barbeque and Nascar). Where the heck else would we fit in? :lol:

Woody13

We'll Be Paying For Katrina Until 2009!

Published - May, 17, 2006
Gulf Power surcharge extended

Paul Flemming
News Journal capital bureau

TALLAHASSEE -- Gulf Power Co. customers will continue to pay an average monthly surcharge of $2.57 through June 2009 to cover post-hurricane power-restoration costs.

The original surcharge on the utility's 400,000 customers was imposed in April 2005 to cover the company's costs from Hurricane Ivan and will continue through April 2007.

The fee has been extended through June 2009 to cover the $53.3 million in costs to cover expenses from hurricanes Dennis and Katrina.

For the average residential customer using 1,000 kilowatts a month, that translates into about $128 paid out in equal monthly installments over a little more than four years.

The surcharges are part of a settlement the company reached with consumer groups in its request to state regulators to recoup storm costs.

"This settlement, we think, is the least painful for the customer," said John Hutchinson, Gulf Power spokesman.

Gulf Power originally sought to sell bonds to cover remaining Ivan costs, the Dennis and Katrina costs and to build its storm reserves to $70 million. That would have meant eight years of a $1.93 monthly charge to the average residential customer.

But the Office of Public Counsel and other consumer groups reached a settlement that eliminates the big reserves buildup, pays off costs from the last two years and avoids selling bonds.

Although Gulf Power won't get the rapid reserve buildup from bond sales, the settlement includes a mechanism for the company to get more surcharges if there are more hurricanes.

"We agreed that if they had a bad storm, they could come in and get immediate surcharge relief of up to 80 percent of storm costs," said Mike Twomey, who represented the American Association of Retired People.

"It's kind of a gamble, if you will, on the side of the customers that we're not going to have any big storms for a while."

MKCP 1985

Of course we will be paying for Katrina until 2009. Maybe longer! It was one of the worst natural disasters in the history of the United States! <-- no exaggeration.

Come to the Mississippi Gulf Coast today. Right now. Bridges that connect U.S. Highway 90 across the Bay of St Louis and the Biloxi Bay have not been re-established. The bridge I use daily is expected to open two lanes in exactly one year. These are not little fishing bridges - I am talking about a U.S. Highway that runs from Los Angeles to Jacksonville, Florida, and it has been inaccessible for Mississippians who rely on it since September of last year and will be so until April of next year - 18 months!

People have not been able to start rebuilding their homes because the funds have been tied up by insurance companies contesting coverage and amounts and governmental assistance agencies not receiving the funding. Here, a grant has been established to help homeowners who did not live in a flood zone but whose houses flooded and their homeowners' insurance would not pay, but that is still in the application stages. The funds have not been released.

I could go on and on. I should post a photograph of my old office. As of Monday, there are concrete floors and metal studs in the place of what was once new carpet and mahogony walls. If we could get back into that building it would not be ready until sometime next year.

Schools were reduced to piles of rubble. They have not been rebuilt so quickly.

God forbid any other American city ever gets hit like our areas were. I understand people have "Katrina fatigue," and I know there have been other big, destructive storms. I know Woody has been over here to see the damage with his own eyes. But I say this - the people who have come here from other states either to volunteer their efforts to rebuild, or just on business have all said, to a person - the damage is so much worse than what we have seen on television or read about in the newspapers. It is a CRIME that this area of the United States is neglected in its efforts to rebuild while all these other things go on in the world.

/end rant.

Ringo8n24

Thanks for the "rant", MKCP. There is truly no way to put it into perspective until you see it in person, but you did an excellent job of hitting the major issues in your last post. In addition to your main points, I would like to add that there are over 1,000 people here on the coast still living in tents and other temporary arrangements waiting on their FEMA trailer. With that, remember guys...hurricane season starts June 1st and we still have people living in tents.:brick: ??? The majority of the apartment complexes were washed away not leaving many the opportunity to choose that option, either. We could go on, but there is too much to list. We will definitely all be paying for this one for a long time as well as the major ones predicted for the Carolinas this year and other years to come.

Woody13

You and I are on the same page MKCP 1985. It's been 18 months since Ivan hit us and were still in bad shape in my area. The westbound bridge on Interstate 10 has still not be fully repaired, many insurance claims are still in limbo, building materials and supply costs and labor costs are still very high.

Are any of you guys paying a surcharge on your power bill for repairs after Katrina? The thing I can't understand is that telephone lines were damaged in our area too, yet the phone companies are not charging extra for recovery. Cable companies and water companies suffered major damage as well, yet they too are not tacking surcharges on their bills. Why does the power company get to pass along their recovery costs to the consumer, yet the other utilities seem to absorb their recovery costs? :wave:

Woody13

Still Reeling, Gulf Readies for New Storms
Updated 2:15 PM ET May 19, 2006
By ALLEN G. BREED

WAVELAND, Miss. (AP) - Missionaries and students on spring break have worked in shifts to put a roof over Brenda Anderson's head before hurricane season begins June 1.

They're rebuilding the two-story, 2,500-square-foot home on a concrete slab 900 feet from the Gulf of Mexico. The slab was all that remained of her old house after Hurricane Katrina swept through, making Waveland's name a sour irony.

Staring at the empty house lots and debris piles all around her, the 61-year-old former police administrator confesses no qualms about rebuilding here.

Katrina, she says, was a "once-in-a-lifetime thing." And yet she knows better. She has lost four homes in as many decades, three to hurricanes, one to tornadoes. Katrina was the latest and worst storm but it won't be the last.

The 2005 hurricane season, the busiest and most destructive on record with 27 named storms, 14 of them hurricanes, has made many people along the Atlantic and Gulf coasts more wary as they prepare for a 2006 season. This year, researchers predict 17 named storms, including nine hurricanes.

That forecast, though less dire, is cold comfort with levees still under repair, protective sand barriers obliterated and tens of thousands of people (including Anderson) still living in vulnerable government travel-trailers on the sites of their ruined homes.

Folks say they have learned the lessons of Katrina. They are stockpiling food and water, installing more backup generators and rounding up buses for evacuations, even in places that haven't seen a hurricane in a century.

But they haven't learned the most important lesson of Katrina, says Tulane University law professor Oliver Houck. If they had, he says, the dialogue would be less about rebuilding and more about "planned retreat" from beaches, from fragile barrier islands, from sinking marshlands.

"The idea that you can build up on stilts ... and remain hit-proof from a Category 5 is illusory," says Houck, who specializes in environmental and property law. Katrina's lesson: "That beachfront property is not just flood prone. It is atomic bomb-like wipeout prone."

For miles along the Gulf Coast, pillars that once held up houses stand like gravestones in an unkempt cemetery. Stately live oaks once draped with Spanish moss are still hung with bed sheets, flags and bits of window screen.

Antebellum or postmodern, on a slab or on stilts, little construction could withstand Katrina's howling winds and 30-foot storm surges.

Much of that construction along with today's rebuilding was made possible by the National Flood Insurance Program, the subject of much post-Katrina debate.

It is madness for the government to continue subsidizing coastal development by providing infrastructure and flood insurance, says ocean advocate David Helvarg. Repeat claims account for 40 percent of all payments from the NFIP, although they represent just 2 percent of covered properties, says Helvarg, president of the Blue Frontier Campaign.

As of last year, he says, $763 billion worth of real estate was insured by the federal flood program, 40 percent of it in Florida alone.

"This is the biggest exposure we have after Social Security," says Helvarg. "It's nuts to think we can keep building in harm's way."

The federal government has tried to discourage building in sensitive coastal areas. The Reagan-era Coastal Barrier Resources Act, known as COBRA, excluded 3 million acres of sand spits and barrier islands from federal flood insurance programs and other infrastructure assistance, but lawmakers have been steadily chipping away at it. When Katrina came ashore, there were bills pending to cover 50,000 previously excluded acres in Florida, Georgia and Texas.

That's unfair to taxpayers, Houck says, adding, "You can go over Niagara in a barrel if you want _ but we don't have to buy the barrel."

Researchers say we are in a 20-year cycle of more frequent, more powerful storms.

William Gray, who leads a team of storm experts at Colorado State University, predicts an 81 percent probability that at least one major hurricane will make landfall along the U.S. coastline this year and a 47 percent probability that one will strike the Gulf Coast. Some are saying the Northeast might suffer its first direct hit in nearly seven decades.

Yet along the Gulf and Atlantic coasts, development and rebuilding continue apace.

In Biloxi, crews have reduced the pirate-themed Treasure Bay casino barge to a ghostly steel and concrete skeleton. Its successor will be built across U.S. 90, thanks to post-Katrina legislation allowing on-land gaming halls.

The pace of residential rebirth is somewhat slower.

In Louisiana and Mississippi, nearly 100,000 residents remain in trailers provided by the Federal Emergency Management Agency. Evelyn and Peter Hutchins are two such camper dwellers.

Stringing a clothesline between the 8-by-8 timbers that once supported her 1,250-square-foot retirement home in Pass Christian, Evelyn Hutchins can't get over the depth of the dark at night or the silence of the woods around her.

"The birds have not come back," the 68-year-old retired elementary school teacher says. "How did they know not to come through here for spring?"

The couple bought here in the 1980s because of the low population density, and they'll rebuild. Peter Hutchins, 69, says the only things that could make him leave are high-rise beach condominiums or another direct hit.

Next door to Pass Christian, in devastated Long Beach, voters will decide in June whether to reverse a long-standing prohibition against casinos.
The town needs something.

South of the railroad tracks, Long Beach is a patchwork quilt of blue tarps, white trailers and barren brown lots, stitched together with baby-blue plastic sewer pipes that run above ground.

Barbara Gillespie's brick home, about a half mile from the Gulf, is nearly pristine. As she maneuvers her riding lawn mower around perfectly preserved palmettos, she thanks God that she couldn't find a house closer to the beach.

"Every other house I looked at when we were buying a house is gone," says Gillespie, 60, who moved here from the Memphis, Tenn., area last year.

New government maps place her property outside the flood zone. But she, like many, has purchased the insurance anyway.

Billy Allen worries they'll need it.

On a recent blustery day, Allen sipped a Bud Light longneck, then pulled a ratty tennis ball from his dog Brisko's mouth and tossed it into the rolling surf beside the battered veterans memorial in Waveland.

"Even on bad storm days the water NEVER came up this far," Allen says. Pointing to the spot where sand barriers once cushioned the waves' blows, he says, "Something out there got destroyed, and it's only going to get worse."

Allen frames houses for a living. Looking into the breakers, he declares: "Me, I wouldn't buy any land within five miles of the beach."

But for many, the draw of the water is simply too strong.

On North Beach Boulevard in Waveland, all that remains of Darlene Martinez's 4,000-square-foot, 22-foot-high beach home is a slab studded with 23 crumbling, salmon-tinted concrete columns. Martinez is picking up bits and pieces a spoon, the blue, mud-caked spines of two of her 132 yacht club cookbooks when a man with a tiny notebook walks up.

"You starting over or are you going to buy?" says Bill Knoll, a debris removal specialist from DeWitt, Ark., who's moonlighting for a client in search of beachfront property.

"Starting over," she says emphatically.

Knoll moves on. Next door, a cardboard sign reads: "For Sale By Owner. Asking Price $700,000."

But for every person cashing out, there seems to be someone looking to buy, says Carolyn Jones, a deputy tax collector for Hancock County. Her own home just west of Bay St. Louis was swept away, but she's not selling.

"That's the Mississippi way," she says. "You just kind of suck it up and go on."

If government isn't making people move, it must prepare to protect them.
While the Army Corps of Engineers races to get New Orleans' levees back up to pre-Katrina strength, Mayor Ray Nagin has already decided there will be no repeat of last year's desperate scenes at the Superdome and convention center. Buses and even trains will empty the city ahead of anything stronger than a Category 2, he vows; and there will be no "vertical evacuations" of tourists to area hotels.

Still stinging from criticism of its Katrina response, the Red Cross announced an $80 million plan to stockpile food, cots, cell phones, debit cards and toiletry items in 21 cities in nine Atlantic and Gulf Coast states. But if Katrina taught residents and coastal governments anything, it is that they must be prepared to fend for themselves.

In Miami, officials have adopted ordinances requiring gas stations and supermarkets to have backup generators. Local governments that once cautioned residents to stockpile three days' worth of food, water and medicine are now recommending they prepare for five days without help.

Places that normally wait until the threat of a Category 3 storm to order tourist evacuations will now clear barrier islands and other sensitive areas at the approach of a Category 1.

"We'd ask them to leave if we had a tropical storm come through," says Benny Rousselle, president of Plaquemines Parish southeast of New Orleans.

In Savannah, Ga., which hasn't had a direct hit since 1893, authorities are more than doubling to 200 the number of evacuation buses available. Even in places that pride themselves on their hurricane preparedness, there is a sense that something has changed.

Using National Hurricane Center computer models, officials in Onslow County, N.C., ran a Category 5 simulation. The results: 15,000 residential structures destroyed, roads and utilities devastated, 30 days to restore just 64 percent of pre-storm hospital capacity.

"We do not intend to open shelters in Onslow County if we have a Category 4 or 5," says Emergency Services Director Mark Goodman, whose county is home to the Marines' Camp Lejeune. "People haven't seen biblical destruction of this magnitude."

As the preparations continue, so does recovery measured in milestones large and small.

At the industrial tan trailer housing the displaced Long Beach Public Library, it is the return of a book that was checked out before the storm and, thus, saved. One recently returned title: Martha Grimes' novel "The Winds of Change."

When the Sonic drive-in with its roller-skating waitresses reopened in late April, you'd have thought a five-star restaurant had come to town.

Brenda Anderson has faith it will all come back.

Standing in her front yard, the white-haired woman caresses the bark of a battered magnolia, Mississippi's state tree. Its flowers, she says, "were as big as dinner plates," but now its sawed-off limbs fight just to put out a paucity of green.

This spring, the tree had just two blooms, each about the size of a coffee cup. But to Anderson, who calls herself "a steel magnolia," those blooms were a promise of better days to come.

"She's struggling to survive," she says. "Just like we are."

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom