Let's Mull this Question Over...

What do you think the CAP should be on single day park tickets?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
I do think the ticket prices are ridiculous... and i'm going to go slightly off topic here...

...The PARKING prices are disgusting! Charging all the money when you spend all that money on your tickets! It's disgusting and i don't know how they can justify it! And when will that stop? Charging a dollar more every year? Makes me so angry!
The parking tax is there because you chose to NOT stay at a Disney Resort.

They will get your money one way or anther!

AndyS2992

I think $100 is about right. I do moan when I read about price increases however I think they are a good thing as they keep crowds down to a minimum as it is so expensive. I think if Disney dropped their prices to $50 then the parks would max out at capacity every single day of the year with huge lines for everything. One thing that does get me is that the rises aren't justified since they close lots of attractions and don't replace them yet raise the price for a lower quality product.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
I think $100 is about right. I do main when I read about price increases however I think they are a good things as they keep crowds down to a minimum as it is so expensive. Is ink of Disney dropped their prices to $50 then the parks would max out at capacity every single day of the year with huge lines for everything. One thing that des get me is that the rises aren't justified since they close lots of attractions and don't replace them yet raise the price for a lower quality product.
You are correct...it's all supply and demand. If they raised their prices to 200.00 a day and people were still willing to pay it, then they would be justified.

HouCuseChickie

Inflation has just become a fact of life. So, while Disney costs a few dollars more this year, everything I buy does as well. Case in point, there is a breakfast item I normally buy for my girls...in the last year it's gone from $1.07 to $1.48. Milk is even worse! And now we're watching beef and pork prices rise...partly from inflation and partly due to drought issues from last year. Utltimately, the annual ticket hikes remind me of the cost of living raises a lot companies do...i.e. we can't afford to do any more than pay you a little more to account for the rise in everything. And to be perfectly honest, while I know it's frustrating to see prices keep rising...the increase is nothing compared to the drastic spike in air prices and the backwards pricing all of airlines use...i.e. they say it's b/c of jet fuel prices yet certain routes between well traveled cities wind up being hundreds more b/c they're milking it. Soooooo, for all that, I can't be really upset w/Disney over the prices...

HOWEVER...I do think they need to look more at the quality for the price. I spent the other day "traveling" to Tokyo's parks and all I can say is WOW!!!! I was so jealous! And now it makes perfect sense why their parks often top the lists when ranking the best of the Disney parks. I'd feel a bit better about forking over the $ if they cared enough to give us that level of quality.

Ultimately, I don't think they can really cap this.

JIMINYCR

They are a business first of all. They have to make enough of a profit to keep running and pay expenses. They have to bring a reasonable return to the shareholders. They have to make repairs, update/replace equipment. Salaries have to be adjusted, benefits paid for. The economy has kept guests away and forced Disney to offer deals to get guests in. I know how difficult it is for everyone to save for that Disney vacation. I own my own business and know how tough the last several years have been. I scrimp and save every penny, sacrificing a lot to make my upcoming trip happen. But I also know that the $100+ day ticket I'm paying ( if I bought a single days ticket) gives me much more in return than $100 worth. If I am in the park for a 10 hour day, ( less than I actually am ) riding rides, being entertained, enjoying all Disney has to offer, my $100 was used at $10/hr. Not bad for all I'm getting.
That being said... Sure, I would like to pay as little as possible, like everybody else. I save for my trip and dont see the prices as being unfair, outrageous or out of line. There will come a point when any service cost reaches a dollar amount that will price you out, but Disney isnt there yet with what they charge.

Goofyernmost

Here's how I look at it. Disney is a luxury, not a necessity. They can and will charge whatever they can get. At what point that will be too much...is up to the public to decide. When the public decides that it's too much and not worth it, they will stop buying it. The public shouldn't need protection from that, anyone with the ability to think, can make that decision on their own. To think that a cap might be put on what a business charges for a recreational venue is silly, but it does make a good dream in a place where "Dreams come true". :D

A couple of good observations were brought up. First, that the number of tickets sold as one day is not as much as one might think, I'm sure. Those that do know that if they did multi-day passes they would pay less per day, but, if all they could use is one day, it's cheaper to do that then invest and then throw away. Hardly anyone goes to WDW, for example, that thinks they can get much done in one day. It's expensive, but, way cheaper then buying a multi-day ticket, pay for a room, another days food, etc. as far as total spent is concerned. Second, a value is determined by many things. Everyone that has made many trips over the years, take the entertainment factor for granted and therefore only base admission prices on what they paid in the past. To really determine a value one must compare like venues at TODAY'S PRICES, not what it was years ago. Name one thing that we purchase, that we don't have too, that are the same price year after year. Rates go up because costs go up and to maintain a level profit margin, they raise prices. As far as value connected is concerned. The same thing that we saw last year can cost more today simply because prices always go up. Does that $12.00 steak you had this week, taste any better then the $3.00 one you purchased 10 years ago? Is the quality any better, really?

Parking...well, I defy you to go to any show or sporting event where the cost of parking is what one would consider reasonable. You get to park all day, all day in a relatively secured parking lot, for what is now $15.00. Go to a ballgame and pay more then that for just a few hours. For anyone to charge that much for a little 8 X12 spot that your car sits on is hard to take, but as far as comparing...it's pretty much what everyone else does. In fact, Disney raised to this years rate when Universal was at that $15.00 rate last year.

PolynesianPrincess

The prices right now are ridiculous. Who actually buys a one day pass anyways? I know we did back in 2003 as I was there for an audition for the weekend and we had one free day but the prices were a LOT less back then. Disney prices rise every year, but most people don't get raises like that every year at their job so it's becoming more and more difficult for people to save up for these vacations. If people got raises every year the same way Disney raises their prices, it might not be such a bad thing but people don't and yet prices still keep going up. It's such a shame because what they are offering for quality doesn't match up.

Animaniac93-98

There's a difference between making enough money to meet expenses and trying to maintain or improve on a growth level at every fiscal quarter. It's an understandable business goal, but not always realistic and taking the easy route to meet that of jacking prices without doing much to change the product doesn't really breed happy customers.

At the same time though, I don't expect Joe Schmoe to know what kind of price is really acceptable for a Disney vacation when he can't even tell the two "Disneylands" apart, let alone know what each has done in the past or of late to satisfy guests. So he'll just keep paying (especially if he gets a "deal" like 30% off) and Disney will keep charging. It's why I take issue with the argument suggesting that "the customer" will know when it is too much and cause something substantial to happen to control the price increases.

Goofyernmost

There's a difference between making enough money to meet expenses and trying to maintain or improve on a growth level at every fiscal quarter. It's an understandable business goal, but not always realistic and taking the easy route to meet that of jacking prices without doing much to change the product doesn't really breed happy customers.

At the same time though, I don't expect Joe Schmoe to know what kind of price is really acceptable for a Disney vacation when he can't even tell the two "Disneylands" apart, let alone know what each has done in the past or of late to satisfy guests. So he'll just keep paying (especially if he gets a "deal" like 30% off) and Disney will keep charging. It's why I take issue with the argument suggesting that "the customer" will know when it is too much and cause something substantial to happen to control the price increases.
The unfortunate fact of life is we hold no power individually. You may be correct about Joe Schmoe, but Joe Schmoe exists and there are probably more of them then there are of us.

In that vane, it is probably more correct to say that individuals will at some point make the decision that it is or isn't worth the money. If enough people feel that way and do not pay that amount, then the prices will either freeze or go lower (yea, I should live so long). What it becomes is the going rate. I'd like to own a BMW (I don't really, just using it as an example) but, I will not pay that much money for something that I don't find to be worth it. That doesn't mean that they will stop making BMW's, it just means that since I decided it wasn't worth it, I won't own one. Life goes on in the world of BMW's without me. Same thing will apply to Disney Parks or any other comparable venues.

Thrill

People mention inflation, but last I checked, ticket prices increase faster than inflation.

Must have something to do with the massive wave of construction at WDW. Between Avatar and Hyperion Wharf, Disney is putting a lot into projects that eventually could perhaps come to fruition in our lifetimes.

Disvillain63

If they are still getting record crowds with these prices, then they'll continue to go up. Until they see a significant decline in attendance, the prices will be higher than we'd like. It seems the secret is out of the bag on what a great vacation destination WDW can be for a family.

Goofyernmost

If they are still getting record crowds with these prices, then they'll continue to go up. Until they see a significant decline in attendance, the prices will be higher than we'd like. It seems the secret is out of the bag on what a great vacation destination WDW can be for a family.
I'm sure that there is a saturation point, but, damned if I know what it might be. As we said, there really are not that many people that just buy one day tickets. They use the "My Way" system which is considerably less if you go for more then one day. So that point is a long way away from being reached. The first thing that will be noticeable, in my humble opinion will be the onsite resort reservations. That can easily get beyond a reasonable rate, if they aren't already, and would have people opting for offsite stays instead. In my mind, it's a no brainer. I would have already had to stop going if I felt that the only way I could enjoy WDW was if I stayed onsite. The fact that I don't feel that way opens up the affordability for a considerable length of time.

jenn47

I wonder what percentage of guests buy the 1 day tickets anyway?

I'm guessing mostly locals who don't want, or have an annual pass, although there is an option for an annual pass with a TON of block out dates that isn't a lot more than a single days entry. People vacationing in florida, but not a Disney vacation just doing one day maybe. And, well my mom! Ha, she's visiting next week and only wants to go to MK, so she will be paying that redonkulous price of a hundred plus bux. ;)

Nubs70

I took my family to the museum's and aquarium in Chicago. Parking for the the museums cost $20/day. Parking at the hotel alone, if not booking a room, is $45/day. A local free concert nearly town is charging a $30/day parking fee. So Disney charging $15 for parking, meh.

Disvillain63

I'm guessing mostly locals who don't want, or have an annual pass, although there is an option for an annual pass with a TON of block out dates that isn't a lot more than a single days entry. People vacationing in florida, but not a Disney vacation just doing one day maybe. And, well my mom! Ha, she's visiting next week and only wants to go to MK, so she will be paying that redonkulous price of a hundred plus bux. ;)
We've bought a one-day pass. It's not something we'd do often, but we were there for Spring Break, had an extra day between games, and wanted to go, so my DH and I bought 2 one-day PH. We hit 3 parks in one-day! We went from 8am - 1am.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom