Leave a Legacy Steals Souls!

kcw

Heck, I never notice the things...never have. I would wager that the majority of folks that walk in the front gates don't even give them a second thought, nor do they think they are tombstones.:brick:

BINGO.

Really, y'all. Much ado about nuttin'. Put on your big girl drawers and get over it. At Disney things are always changing. Wait around long enough and the changes you don't like will change again. The problem is when they do change you'll likely complain about that, too. Make an effort to find something you like in everything. Life's too short to spend it wallowing in the miseries of your dislikes.

:sohappy:

Doesn't this view look better?

EPCOT_Center%27s_Spaceship_Earth_on_opening_day.jpg

uh, honest answer? Given the choice between this and the night pic. before it.... I choose the LaL one.... :shrug: sorry pheneix....:lol:

Timmay

It didn't take "concentration" before they put that tombstone mess in the way, you just kinda.......walked in.

Yeah...I can see where it would be easy to get confused in all that "clutter".:rolleyes: Just look at all the people lost in the maze.

DSCN0335.jpg

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Yeah...I can see where it would be easy to get confused in all that "clutter".:rolleyes: Just look at all the people lost in the maze.

DSCN0335.jpg

This image must be photoshopped, there looks like almost all the visible tile spaces have been used. :lookaroun thats loads of dead people.

MKCP 1985

uh, honest answer? Given the choice between this and the night pic. before it.... I choose the LaL one.... :shrug: sorry pheneix....:lol:

Its the stretch polyester pants, isn't it? :(

That might not have been the best possible photo to make the point. :lol:

raven

LaL was a commercial flop, there's no getting around that fact reguardless of how many "witty" posts you try to make about it.

Do you know the original marketing plans for LaL? Do you know the projected sales, used tiles and time it would take to fill them? Were you on the planning committee for LaL? If not then you cannot call it a commercial flop. With thousands of people having their faces on the tiles over the past 9 or so years you can hardly call it that. Some people think it was simply a money-making opportunity for Disney and people fell for it. Well I only paid $20 for mine and I think it's cool to know that my face is inside of Epcot and a monorail passes over me every few minutes. To me, and many others on those walls, LaL is knowing that you are part of the magic every day. Hardly a flop when you think about that.

Pirate665

I still think you could move them to the Contemporary and they'd fit in better over there. While yes I agree, I like the look of the older EPCOT Center (and I even had it tattooed on me), the tombstones are ugly. I feel congested and forced to enter, not invited. MK invites you in, MGM invites you, and AK in it's own rather odd way invites you in. EPCOT feels like a funnel.

>Steve

This seems like a bit of a silly topic to get in a huge fuss about

IMO LaL was a good idea as a kind of more high-tech version of the stepping stones in MK but the execution was a bit silly.

$50 for a tile was pretty excessive and yeah the stones the tiles were placed on could of been better designed maybe. Though I dont think it was penny pinching or anything, it was just a design that didnt really work so much.

That said it's not all that major an eyesore. I occasionally glance at the tiles but thats it really. Plus the entrance still isnt really awful, specially in Flower and Garden season (I rather liked that topiary of Peter Pan last April)

In any case Epcot could still use a bit more TLC from Disney. But thats another topic anyhoo

DonaldDuck34

Do you know the original markeing plans for LaL? Do you know the projected sales, used tiles and time it would take to fill them? Were you on the planning committee for LaL? If not then you cannot call it a commercial flop. With thousands of people having their faces on the tiles over the past 9 or so years you can hardly call it that. Some people think it was simply a money-making opportunity for Disney and people fell for it. Well I only paid $20 for mine and I think it's cool to know that my face is inside of Epcot and a monorail passes over me every few minutes. To me, and many others on those walls, LaL is knowing that you are part of the magic every day. Hardly a flop when you think about that.

I totally agree with you on that Raven. My parents had my sister and I take our picture for LaL and we've had it up there for a couple of years now. And every time we go we go and look at it and it brings back memories of that trip and those trips bring back memories of other trips we've taken. My parents got the tile so that my sister and I will be there for however long the tiles are. Someday we'll be able to show our kids the tiles and tell them about our stories. Now how can you say that LaL isn't a good idea.

SDav10495

Because it needs to be repeated now and then in every LaL thread:

Saying that LaL gives you a chance to be part of the magic every day does little to further the case for the slabs. Why not? Because virtually everybody here likes the concept of leaving a part of yourself at the parks, and--as we've gone over many times in this and other threads--almost no one on this board is saying that the images themselves should be removed from public view. People paid good money so that they could visit a little piece of themselves when they make the trip to Disney World, and that shouldn't be taken away.

That's not the issue here. The issue is the fact that these images are presented in (many of us feel) the most depressing, uninviting, and obtrusive way possible. I am not disputing the merits of "leaving a legacy", but there is no reason it has to look like that. The bricks at MK are a perfect example of how to execute that idea correctly--you notice the bricks if you look for them, but they're not shoved in your face (and they're certainly not intruding visually on the park's entrance). The entrance plaza of EPCOT--of any park--is supposed to set a mood and plant an idea in your head of what's in store. As they are now, the LaL bring to mind the Vietnam Wall. How on earth does that have any connection, visual or conceptual, to what's inside the park? I understand the argument that the slabs are so Stonehengian they're almost futuristic, but that "Battlefield Earth" look is not the kind of futurism EPCOT is about. The original, streamlined, garden-like plaza was much more in keeping with EPCOT's brand of futurism. Funny how people argued that the old EPCOT Center was cold...the gateway to the "new, fun Epcot" looks a lot colder to me.

So keep your "legacies" in the park. That's only fair, and a nice idea. But understand that there are so many other ways to display them. The old entrance design could be restored and the tiles could be integrated into new flowerbeds, or displayed digitally around the edges of the plaza, or even moved to a nice location further into the park. But the slabs need to go. I know the probable cost of that project is mentioned a lot, but if it better sets the park's mood and more appropriately displays the "legacy" images, it's absolutely worth every penny--even if it doesn't produce a visible boost in revenue for the executives to quantify. The "Disney difference" used to mean pouring money into the subliminal things that don't make big bucks but improve atmosphere. It's time WDI admits that they screwed this one up and funnel some of their money into making the EPCOT experience brighter.

hpyhnt 1000

You know, IMHO, LaL wasnt all bad. The idea of allowing people to leave their picture in the park had its merits, but the visual execution of it could have been better. I personlly would prefer to see a return of the open, beautifully landscaped entrance of before. To me, wide open greenery looks more visually appealing and futuristic than brown granite monoliths.

SpaceshipEarth-0983.jpg

Source: http://www.disneypix.com/potw/SpaceshipEarth-0983.jpg

Perhaps the pictures could simply be relocated, as some others have said, to the sides of the entrance plaza? Using the photo above as an example, there is quite a bit of space on the far sides of the plaza. Why not display the pics on stones four to five feet high all the way along the walkway? You could space them so that there could be a shrub or tree in between. See below using the picture above to reference locations:

----------------------------------------------------------------
Covered Walkway(Far right in picture above)
* ### * ### * ### * ### * ### * ### * ### * ### * ### *
Construct New Walkway(Between the 2 row of trees in picture)
* ### * ### * ### * ### * ### * ### * ### * ### * ### *
Existing Walkway(the one directly above the 2002)

(*)=tree (###)= stone

Now with the center of the plaza cleared, put in some plants, shrubs, and maybe a reflecting pool or two. With the right landscaping and lighting, the whole area can be visually stimulating and attractive.

wickedfan07

Do you know the original markeing plans for LaL? Do you know the projected sales, used tiles and time it would take to fill them? Were you on the planning committee for LaL? If not then you cannot call it a commercial flop. With thousands of people having their faces on the tiles over the past 9 or so years you can hardly call it that. Some people think it was simply a money-making opportunity for Disney and people fell for it. Well I only paid $20 for mine and I think it's cool to know that my face is inside of Epcot and a monorail passes over me every few minutes. To me, and many others on those walls, LaL is knowing that you are part of the magic every day. Hardly a flop when you think about that.

I agree. I think it is really cool knowing that my picture is in Epcot all the time. It is "magical" being albe to find your picture in the park. Yes, my parents bought one for me way back in 1999. Some of you might think my parents were suckers for buying into it, but I would disagree with you.

I understand why everyon thinks it, but I never felt like I was in a cemetary by walking past Leave a Legacy. Its all in your perception. If you think of tombstones, doom and gloom when you walk into Epcot, then that's your problem.

If they were to move them, they should stay in Epcot. With a little work, they could even stay in the entrance plaza and under SSE. But they definitely need to stay in Epcot. I rather like having a picture of my sister and I under SSE.

If Disney wants to remove them, they should go all at once. It may satisfy you to see them "melt away". However, such a plan would be poor show. Each block is not an individual, they are part of a whole concept. Taking one out would ruin the entire design, and as a result, I doubt they'd be going anywhere unless they were all going at once. Put the emotional need to see them go away aside and realize that taking them out one by one would be more visually unappealing than the actual stones might be.

I understand many of you don't like that stones, and feel strongly about it. But please don't put down us "suckers" who "bought into it". We're people, too, and we love Epcot just as much as you do.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Original Poster
Hunting down pics from around the web...

ec_entrance.jpg

epcotmonorail2.jpg

epcotball.jpg

1184832882_e15e2aa1e5.jpg

epcot.gif

Oh, and incase you're wondering what was on the other side, i want this back too:

111400206_a706b26ed4_b_d.jpg

hpyhnt 1000

Hunting down pics from around the web...

ec_entrance.jpg

Oh, and incase you're wondering what was on the other side, i want this back too:

111400206_a706b26ed4_b_d.jpg

Clever photoshop on the first one, putting the toy monorail there in place of the actual one.

Not sure about that SSE topiary though. Kind of cool, but...strange. I guess it looked a lot better when the plants had fully grown over it.

raven

First the wand and now LaL. Pretty soon we will be seeing thread after thread of people complaining more and more about the stones and they will continue to b*tch until they think that Disney will do something about it.

Well guests didn't invest in the wand. But they did in LaL. I would certainly loose faith and interest in a company if I received a letter in the mail saying "We're sorry. Due to numberous guest complaints we are removing your face from the entrance of Epcot. We realize that you paid for the tile and the priviledge to have your legacy be a part of Epcot but we must listen to our guests and we will do anything we can to please them. You are no longer important to us."

Ain't gonna happen this time guys. :rolleyes:

JDM

Quite frankly...that big golf ball thing is blocking the traffic flow more than anything else.
Maybe they should get rid of it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom