Leave a Legacy at Epcot

How do you feel about Leave a Legacy at EPCOT Center?

• Keep it! It's interesting to see all the names and dates and to look for ours.

Votes: 31 18.8%
  • Plus it! Add some trees or something. It's nice, but far too barren and unwelcoming.

Votes: 32 19.4%
  • Scrap it! Tombstones belong at the Haunted Mansion, not EPCOT Center.

Votes: 102 61.8%

• Total voters

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Leave a legacy? What is that?

I ask this shamefully because it feels like I should know. LOL

Those big stone slabs just inside the park before you get to Spaceship Earth.

leave_a_legacy1.jpg

WDITrent

Leave a Legacy is much more than a marketing trick. It's a memorial.

Shouldn't we all take a moment while entering the park to pay homage to those poor paying guests braver than we? It's a wonderful way to honor the fallen who gave their lives for Epcot.

May we all leave our legacies next time we have the chance, whatever the cost.*

*($33 for one soul, $38 for two)

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Yes. I would like to Leave a Legacy...as the parks have left a legacy for me. EPCOT inspired my interest in science fiction and history, which inspired a fascination with actual math and science, and built who I am.

The little things they mentioned on those rides, things I didn't know about, made me ask questions, learn and move forward.

And, my Great-Grandfather, who opened up my family to the magic of Disney...is dead...

Today, Disneyworld is part of inspiring my child (though, they don't do much inspiring anymore), but when my daughter takes her kids to Disney, I'd like to have something she can point to. And say...we were there, we loved it, and will always come back...

EvilQueen-T

our names are on it too but i hate how stark and unfinished it looks. with part of them left unfilled it looks like an abandoned project but i will admit i like feeling like a little part of me is inside the park all the time...wish i was lol.

WDITrent

Yes. I would like to Leave a Legacy...as the parks have left a legacy for me. EPCOT inspired my interest in science fiction and history, which inspired a fascination with actual math and science, and built who I am.

The little things they mentioned on those rides, things I didn't know about, made me ask questions, learn and move forward.

And, my Great-Grandfather, who opened up my family to the magic of Disney...is dead...

Today, Disneyworld is part of inspiring my child (though, they don't do much inspiring anymore), but when my daughter takes her kids to Disney, I'd like to have something she can point to. And say...we were there, we loved it, and will always come back...
It is a nice idea, but even LaL has an expiration date. It won't be around forever. They've stopped selling tiles, which means they're probably starting the slow process of getting it out of there.

Goofyernmost

our names are on it too but i hate how stark and unfinished it looks. with part of them left unfilled it looks like an abandoned project but i will admit i like feeling like a little part of me is inside the park all the time...wish i was lol.
That would be because it is an abandoned project. :( Judging from the number of "tombstones" there, I'd say that Disney had high expectations for the sale of these. Bad case of misjudgement there. I think that if they were a little bigger, or a little clearer it might have had a chance, but, the way it is finding your picture is like looking for a needle in a haystack. And that's with just a few sold. And the pictures...I don't know how anyone even identifies their own.

rsoxguy

With no intention of offending those who have purchased a shiny little photo on the slabs, I think that these abominations should be used to fill in any errant sinkholes throughout Florida, or dropped on drug crazed cannibals throughout the State.

righttrack

Find a barren building. Stick these on the wall.
Distribute them widely, throughout Future World queues.
Build a wall in the parking lot. Stick them on there.

There are lots of ways for WDW to honor their commitment and make Epcot a more visually appealing place. Gawrsh! Think outside the box!

Epicpilot

I know. They're contractually bound to keep it around a certain number of years since their last sale. Someone correct me...12 years, I think? Hence why I said "slow process."
Built in 1999 and cant be removed for 20 years so sadly we still have 6 years to go...

Figments Friend

Hear hear!

Old_Epcot.jpg

1986epcotentrance_zpsf5fd779d.jpg
-
Man these photos are gorgeous to look at...

Makes me get all misty eyed remembering how incredible EPCOT used to be...beginning with the impressive entrance.
Us old-school EPCOT Center fans from waaay back will ALWAYS remember how awesome the effect was once entering the Park back then.

Remember YOUR first time...?

The effect was awe inspiring.
A fantastic way to set the stage for what was to come later in the day...

Now it is hard to decide what irratates me more....the poorly executed 'currant' entrance area with a barren expanse of 'tombstones', or knowing the beauty beforehand that used to be there that today's Guests are totally missing.

Someday, i hope to have that entrance BACK to something impressive again...and not depressing and jumbled like today.

Disneykidder

Eh...the best legacy are the walkway bricks that around Seven Seas Lagoon. Back in the day I was going to get one and then didn't. I wish I had because you can't get them. They were $100 back in 1997 and came with a really pretty colored frameable certificate. I convinced my friend to buy one for her sister. It is near the wedding pavilion. My dad always said that Disney was smart because they were charging us to pave their walkways...true but I wish they would offer these again.

copcarguyp71

No it will be 20 years from when the last one was sold. You can start eliminating them in 6 years, but, they will not be completely gone until 20 years from the last sale.

They can be relocated to anywhere in the parks at any time...destruction after 20 years but they can pull the plug at any time and pile them in WOL pavilion if they care to.

tinkerblonde11

I don't think they should scrap the stones, but instead move them somewhere else. Like a room in Innoventions or something with a bit of the history and plans of Epcot, then display Leave a Legacy in there. Those who have pictures still get the pleasure of finding there's, and those who don't can simply look and walk by to look at other historical displays.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
here we go again...

LaL...a ripoff from the start, people should demand their money back as badly as those tiles are faded and unrecognizable.

Meanwhile what used to be walkways to easily enter and exit Epcot are now blocked by these stupid barricades/war memorial slabs/etc.

Yes, people have fondness for them despite the fact that they can never find them again once they try.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom