Lazy and Unappreciative Guests

Laufschneller65

Original Poster
I know I've said this many many times. But in 1991, my family wen't on a Disney vacation I was 4 years old, my Brother was 2 1/2. We did not have strollers. We walked all day. we never complained because if we did it was back to the hotel room for us. We did full days and my dad only on occasions would lift us up onto his shoulders. My brother was shorter than many of the height restrictions so my parents simply avoided those areas. They would not even take us near attractions where he was too short. Yes my brother and I missed out on them too, but because we didn't see them, we didn't even know what we missed. we of course spent most of our time in Adventureland, Fantasyland and elsewhere we could actually ride. But the point is this. Todays parents bring their Kids around, most in Strollers all the way up to 8 and 10 years old. when they have children too short they complain and demand to see managers that aren't magicians that are going to magically make your kid safe to ride, they selfishly leave their strollers in the middle of paths so other guest have to squeeze around them until a CM moves it. They complain that their fast pass on another attraction prevents them from getting one on this attraction. Have people lost the sight of what vacationing is. Disney is a truly magical and wonderful place. But it's not the Disney I remember. It is a Disney Disney that is clouded by angry and frustrated guests. Most of this caused by guests that paid allot of money to go to a place that has so much going on, so many details, yet they do little or no research. This frustration is then passed onto cast members that have little or nothing to do with the problems they are faced with.

We have become so Selfish, that we don't even consider the people we complain to and what we accuse them of when they have nothing to do with it. I'm not saying that it's only a recent problem, but it's something that has grown to become basic American culture. to complain and get what we want. Which I do believe we should always get whet we deserve. but not at the expense of others. How many times do we go to complain at a store because the clerk rang up our order wrong, and we ell and scream at the CSR, yet they aren't even responsible. didn't anyone learn about being nice and courteous. Yes the store owes you money, but that is no excuse to yell and scream. Slowly our world is becoming a more and more difficult place to live, people are becoming more and more selfish, no one wants to work, no one knows the value of a hard day of work as we have "unskilled" laborers up at GM collecting 35$ an hour to push buttons for a company going bankrupt which will certainly place the whole world in a deep recession and we have CMs at Disney who are in charge of protecting your life on attraction making only 7.50 an hour. The difference is at Disney most of these workers have some college credits and experience but instead of leading a life of upper middle class to do pointless work, love working in the magical world of Disney where they get pleasure giving you the best experience of your life and all we do is and complain.

As an ex CM, I would have days where it seemed everyone complained and yelled at me, it would bring me down. Something as simple as a thank you from a little girl, (that has to do with manners that are rarely taught to children anymore) would lift my spirits. I have a guest hand my a lollipop once. It made me tear up. It was beautiful that in all this magic around them, they notice that the one thing that truly makes it magical are the Cast members that work there.

When you go back to Disney, remember where the magic comes from, because without the CMs, Disney World is nothing more than a fiberglass and plastic jungle, no different than Six Flags. As much as they want to make you happy, it's a difficult job when you seem unappreciated and beat down by 70,000 guests every day. So offer a smile, a Thank You, step in if you see a guest being unreasonable to CMs. Because you know what they do every day. others do not. You have the power to make their Job magical. it's the people we go to work for everyday, certainly not the pay. if I wanted to be yelled at, i'd work at a government job. If the guests would go there, be open, then they WOrld we call Disney would be a happier place.

There are people in this world that are happy being rude and angry at everyone. You can't change that, but if you can be the one that puts a smile on everyones face when you come into contact with them, then you are one that will make a difference in everyones world.

Smile and Spread the Magic Today!

CapnStinxy

I see no hope for the future of our people if they are dependent on
frivolous youth of today, for certainly all youth are reckless beyond
words… When I was young, we were taught to be discreet and respectful of
elders, but the present youth are exceedingly [disrespectful] and
impatient of restraint.
10000 Whose-Line-Is-It-Anyway points* to whomever gives the correct attribution and date for that quote.

I believe basic courtesy is a very effective societal grease, and thus try to dispense it for practical as well as ethical reasons. However, that street, as the old saw goes, is two way. Cast members have gotten worse also. Management has not been savvy enough to realize that cramming more people into the parks for more weeks out of the year means they need better cast members. Better means better paid, an idea which got tossed wholesale some years ago.

*The points are worthless.

goodtimes5286

I know I've said this many many times. But in 1991, my family wen't on a Disney vacation I was 4 years old, my Brother was 2 1/2. We did not have strollers. We walked all day. we never complained because if we did it was back to the hotel room for us. We did full days and my dad only on occasions would lift us up onto his shoulders. My brother was shorter than many of the height restrictions so my parents simply avoided those areas. They would not even take us near attractions where he was too short. Yes my brother and I missed out on them too, but because we didn't see them, we didn't even know what we missed. we of course spent most of our time in Adventureland, Fantasyland and elsewhere we could actually ride. But the point is this. Todays parents bring their Kids around, most in Strollers all the way up to 8 and 10 years old. when they have children too short they complain and demand to see managers that aren't magicians that are going to magically make your kid safe to ride, they selfishly leave their strollers in the middle of paths so other guest have to squeeze around them until a CM moves it. They complain that their fast pass on another attraction prevents them from getting one on this attraction. Have people lost the sight of what vacationing is. Disney is a truly magical and wonderful place. But it's not the Disney I remember. It is a Disney Disney that is clouded by angry and frustrated guests. Most of this caused by guests that paid allot of money to go to a place that has so much going on, so many details, yet they do little or no research. This frustration is then passed onto cast members that have little or nothing to do with the problems they are faced with.

We have become so Selfish, that we don't even consider the people we complain to and what we accuse them of when they have nothing to do with it. I'm not saying that it's only a recent problem, but it's something that has grown to become basic American culture. to complain and get what we want. Which I do believe we should always get whet we deserve. but not at the expense of others. How many times do we go to complain at a store because the clerk rang up our order wrong, and we ell and scream at the CSR, yet they aren't even responsible. didn't anyone learn about being nice and courteous. Yes the store owes you money, but that is no excuse to yell and scream. Slowly our world is becoming a more and more difficult place to live, people are becoming more and more selfish, no one wants to work, no one knows the value of a hard day of work as we have "unskilled" laborers up at GM collecting 35$ an hour to push buttons for a company going bankrupt which will certainly place the whole world in a deep recession and we have CMs at Disney who are in charge of protecting your life on attraction making only 7.50 an hour. The difference is at Disney most of these workers have some college credits and experience but instead of leading a life of upper middle class to do pointless work, love working in the magical world of Disney where they get pleasure giving you the best experience of your life and all we do is and complain.

As an ex CM, I would have days where it seemed everyone complained and yelled at me, it would bring me down. Something as simple as a thank you from a little girl, (that has to do with manners that are rarely taught to children anymore) would lift my spirits. I have a guest hand my a lollipop once. It made me tear up. It was beautiful that in all this magic around them, they notice that the one thing that truly makes it magical are the Cast members that work there.

When you go back to Disney, remember where the magic comes from, because without the CMs, Disney World is nothing more than a fiberglass and plastic jungle, no different than Six Flags. As much as they want to make you happy, it's a difficult job when you seem unappreciated and beat down by 70,000 guests every day. So offer a smile, a Thank You, step in if you see a guest being unreasonable to CMs. Because you know what they do every day. others do not. You have the power to make their Job magical. it's the people we go to work for everyday, certainly not the pay. if I wanted to be yelled at, i'd work at a government job. If the guests would go there, be open, then they WOrld we call Disney would be a happier place.

There are people in this world that are happy being rude and angry at everyone. You can't change that, but if you can be the one that puts a smile on everyones face when you come into contact with them, then you are one that will make a difference in everyones world.

2x.

Disney was once magical and I thought that it was just Disney's corporation that was to blame, but you are totally and completely right, the people who go to Disney are JUST AS MUCH to blame for the loss of magic. A couple of times ago when I went to Disney I witnessed a manager telling a lazy employee to work harder, and he wouldn't; the manager had to bribe the worker with a free day off just to get him to DO HIS JOB! It's everyone top to bottom that's making Disney what it is and its a reflection of BOTH America and the people at the top of Disneys corporate chain.

Seriously someone buy 51% of Disney's shares and bring the magic back PLEASE!

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
10000 Whose-Line-Is-It-Anyway points* to whomever gives the correct attribution and date for that quote.

I believe basic courtesy is a very effective societal grease, and thus try to dispense it for practical as well as ethical reasons. However, that street, as the old saw goes, is two way. Cast members have gotten worse also. Management has not been savvy enough to realize that cramming more people into the parks for more weeks out of the year means they need better cast members. Better means better paid, an idea which got tossed wholesale some years ago.

*The points are worthless.

Hesiod, 8th century BC :shrug:

I'm Canadian, we're notoriously polite.

Sorry :eek:

:ROFLOL:

I hear what the OP's saying, but changing societal norms may be beyond the capacity of the average guest. Settle for being as gracious as you can muster and content that you've tried.

Scooter

A lot of Children of the Depression era parents, and their children, lets call them the "pepsi" generation, were told by their parents that they can be anything they want and do anything they want when they grow up. Childrens behaviorists like Dr Bejamin Spock in the 60's wrote books on child bahavior that were followed like the bible by a lot of parents. They advised that positive reinforcement and reverse phychology, rather than spankings and yelling was a better way to raise children.
What was produced was a generation I'll call "The entitled Ones" who truly believe they are better than everyone else and should be treated as superiors to everyone around them. These "entitled ones" are the ones that leave strollers everywhere, cut in line, and demand and expect faster service and special privileges when they are on vacation.
While I most certainly do NOT condone beating your children under any circumstances, I feel that sometimes a strong, stern, voice or a gentle smack on the rear, sends a message to a child that you mean business. It seems to me that nowadays, some parents are so afraid that their child will be damaged pychologically if they are punished for bad behavior, that the children sometimes control the parents instead of the other way around.

Unless some great world renowned child phycologist writes a new, better book on child behaviour, I'm afraid things will not change.

So until then, I will continue to treat my children as I always have, in a way that lets them know that I am the parent, and I will gently swat their little behinds when they need it, and send them back to their resort if they misbehave. I will not blame the castmembers for doing their jobs, nor will I get upset at the food venders when my lunch doesn't appear fast enough. I will smile and appreciate the blessings that come with a Disney World vacation, and instead of complaining about things around me, I will instead be thankful that I am able to afford such a great trip because, I know, that a lot of people will never be able to experiance a WDW vacation.

tecowdw

Is this the short version? Whew!
:D

MansionHostess4

I could not agree with you more, Laufs. I live in the area and am fortunate to visit the Parks frequently. Since my first visit in 1973, guests' behavior has certainly gotten progressivly worse, and my frustration has grown. I try to not let it ruin my enjoyment, but it is sad. Recently I just sat back in awe and horror watching "guests behaving badly". The parents are just as bad as their children, often times worse, as they do not control their behavior. The unspoken rule seems to be: Load your kids up with sugar, allow them to run around and knock down other guests, while you look on ignorantly. Or this one: When walking in the park on a crowded walkway, just stop right in the middle with your double-wide stroller and party of 10 people, and make everyone go around you.

Phew, venting feels good sometimes :hammer:

vxangelkissxv

I agree with you completely on this issue. As someone who works just above minimum wage in a menial retail job, I totally relate to being treated like garbage by customers on a daily basis. Sometimes a simple, "thank you" is too much for people, but I always choose to say it to them. I suppose just because someone is rude and discourteous to you, there is no reason why you shouldn't be nice to them. And I think that's also a part of the problem. People get so beaten down by the barrage of negativity that is hurled at them every day, there is this horrible sense of "what's the point?" of being, well, nice.

Several months ago I took a day trip up to Walt Disney World with my friend. She is a few years younger than me, very hyperactive, and generally a pain. But she's my friend none-the-less and we have known each other for years and years. Well, that morning we had decided to watch the O' Canada! show in Epcot. As the cast member came into the show room to begin the movie, my friend shouted something, er, let's just say, not very nice, just for a laugh. The poor cast member, a young woman, became so flustered by my friend's outburst, that she completely forgot her lines and nearly broke down crying.

I'm totally ashamed that it was my friend who did this-- but it reinforces your point, that people just don't care about cast members. And they can often times become the butt of jokes because they are supposed to always be friendly and nice. It's really quite sad the state people are in today, that they shout and scream until they get what they want, are rude, and generally inconsiderate of others. And when you're trying to have a good time in the most magical place on Earth, seeing someone browbeat cast members, or rudely leave their strollers in the middle of walkways, just somehow shatters that illusion.

... Okay. I feel better now :lol:

LoriMistress

The whole "It's all about me" thing is mainly a baby-boomer thing. I'm not saying all baby boomers are a bunch of crybabies and demand to see a manager each and every time they don't get their own way. But DH and I have noticed the majority of people who throw fits in the parks are NOT children, but the adults--mainly the baby-boomers. I feel so bad for the CMs who have to deal with these socially retarded people on a daily basis. Not only are they a punching bag, but a under paid punching bag.

dvitali

Ditto on the children of today being call "The Elite One". When the most Popular (and most disgusting) show on MTV is that Sweet 16 bash, where young kids get their parents to throw those costly party and buy a 16 year old those most expensive cars. They carried that attidude over into the real world after the show end. I see some of that attidude in some disney park quests. I was alway for calling a girl age 2 to 6 "Princess" but not for anybody over sixteen.

CapnStinxy

Hesiod, 8th century BC :shrug:

Just that the youth of the world have, seemingly, been going to Hell in a bucket for 3000 years. Points lose half their value if you used the internets to find your answer.

I'm Canadian, we're notoriously polite.

Dave Foley says the key to passing as Canadian is to say "sorry" frequently. For example, if a Canadian was run over by a bus at the Contemporary, he or she would say, "sorry."

There you go.

It would appear from the pedantic responses to this thread that we should internalize one thing: WDW cannot fail, it can only be failed. (H/T Digby).

foslizedtresap

I was out at a bookstore with my friends last night and somehow something on a shelve bagan to fall down. One friend and I began trying to put the books back up and make sure they stayed there while friend 2 looked on. When we were done friend 2 said "I always just leave stuff like that, it's not my job, I don't get paid to do it." Yeah whatever happened to mottos like "leave it cleaner than you found it" (yeah that's a camping motto about the outdoors, but it can relate to everyday life)

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Just that the youth of the world have, seemingly, been going to Hell in a bucket for 3000 years. Points lose half their value if you used the internets to find your answer.

:lol:

I knew it, but used the internets to confirm the spelling... Do I get three-quarters? :D

Sorry...

wvdisneyfamily

A lot of Children of the Depression era parents, and their children, lets call them the "pepsi" generation, were told by their parents that they can be anything they want and do anything they want when they grow up. Childrens behaviorists like Dr Bejamin Spock in the 60's wrote books on child bahavior that were followed like the bible by a lot of parents. They advised that positive reinforcement and reverse phychology, rather than spankings and yelling was a better way to raise children.
What was produced was a generation I'll call "The entitled Ones" who truly believe they are better than everyone else and should be treated as superiors to everyone around them. These "entitled ones" are the ones that leave strollers everywhere, cut in line, and demand and expect faster service and special privileges when they are on vacation.
While I most certainly do NOT condone beating your children under any circumstances, I feel that sometimes a strong, stern, voice or a gentle smack on the rear, sends a message to a child that you mean business. It seems to me that nowadays, some parents are so afraid that their child will be damaged pychologically if they are punished for bad behavior, that the children sometimes control the parents instead of the other way around.

Unless some great world renowned child phycologist writes a new, better book on child behaviour, I'm afraid things will not change.

So until then, I will continue to treat my children as I always have, in a way that lets them know that I am the parent, and I will gently swat their little behinds when they need it, and send them back to their resort if they misbehave. I will not blame the castmembers for doing their jobs, nor will I get upset at the food venders when my lunch doesn't appear fast enough. I will smile and appreciate the blessings that come with a Disney World vacation, and instead of complaining about things around me, I will instead be thankful that I am able to afford such a great trip because, I know, that a lot of people will never be able to experiance a WDW vacation.

:sohappy::sohappy::sohappy:

Post of the day!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom