Latest Social Media 'Experiment'?

disneyrcks

I would agree with that ... to a point. Sites like this one that aren't all glitz and glamour (I haven't seen Steve in heels and feather boa singing show tunes yet!:eek:) are much more about information (putting facts out that help people, mostly fans, better understand what's going on and plan resort visits) AND discussion boards.

So long as the boards allow free, frank and open discussion, Disney isn't going to have control. Now, there are times when Disney will put heat on webmasters when people say things that get legal's attention ... just an FYI, but you probably don't want use words like 'child' endangerment' and 'Disney Social Media experiment' in the same post. :zipit::drevil::king:

But it all remains open until webmasters take things from Disney and I'm not talking about banner ads. I'm talking about cash, tickets, free flights, hotels stays, cruises, meals, party invites, gift cards, swag, access to celebs, Imagineers and execs etc. THAT is when there is a sort of quid pro quo and it often means 'shut those posters up' ... it's not ever put in writing and it hardly ever comes from a bigwig whether in Burbank, Glendale or O-Town, but it is filtered down and the message is delivered.

I believe this site is quite profitable and doesn't (to my knowledge) even take invites to events (one would think it should be given them ... but they aren't offered to Kevin Yee either), so you don't exactly need Disney's seal of approval to do this ... yet. And that's a good thing.

Out of curiousity, how do you continue to get into the parks for free considering your current position about WDW? Is it your friends that take care of you or management? This is an honest question, don't want you to think there is anything crazy to it!

WDW1974

Original Poster
As for other Disney fan sites, I am a member of a number of them and I have stopped visiting almost all except here and two or three others.. Why??? Cause the owner and mods really give the members a lot of leeway into what we post, as long as we aren't disrespectful to other members, trolling, or spamming... And those members are taken care of... On other sites, the ones I no longer visit, you cannot say one bad word against Disney or else you are attacked by the site owner (the ones who are in bed with Disney) followers, deemed a trouble maker, and shunned out of the community... Unless you speak glowingly of Disney (that youtube video of Splash Mountain would have been removed, you would have been attacked by the drones members, or you would have been accused of trying to portray a perfect Disney in a bad light), you are not truly a part of that community... And yes, you either leave on your own, or you get banned... I couldn't stand being surrounded by Pixie Dust addicts on those other sites...

Right now, this is the only Disney site whose discussion boards I even read, let alone post on. I had a VERY bad experience with a site I considered my online home for many years simply because I broached a subject that is absolutely one of the most important facing the Disney fan community today (I'll give ya a hint, you're reading a similar one now here). There really wasn't any ugliness as far as my leaving that site, which is a bit odd considering how much animus goes around this allegedly Pixie Dusted crowd. The owner got heat for things I wrote (no matter that they happen to be true ... it's like our criminal justice system -- if you murder an innocent man, that doesn't matter, just that you followed procedure in doing so!) and then started feeling like I was the voice of his site, something I never tried to be or wanted. And ... could go on, but it's not really important.

The sad thing is the proliferation of social networking sites like Twitter and FB and Disney Lifestyle sites has taken its toll on sites like this. There are people who don't want to hear anything negative about Disney, they view it like a religion or their political affiliation and will never change, so instead of trying to debate issues, they feel it's better to just run and hang with a clique ... and well, then the terrorists have won!:lookaroun ... it's like preaching to your own flock all the time. No one will ever actually make you think, question or change your world or World views!

As for Ricky Brigante, I thought he used to post on here... I listen to Inside the Magic, one of the few Disney podcasts I can listen to and tolerate anymore... I remember he used to always state his opinion, whether it was good or bad... Now, I notice he has been more Disney friendly... Not saying he is kissing Disney's mouse house rear, but I am not sure he is as objective as he used to be... I still think he has a good show.... Better then a certain wdw radio podcast anyway.... I think Lou's show was better when he had his rumor mill... Seems like he is trying to be more of a historian now, which really makes him unlistenable for me...

I don't regularly listen to any podcasts ... ANY ... although I have been asked to appear on more than a few.

I won't talk specifically about Ricky because I don't know him (although he apparently hails from the same area I do), but I do get a kick out of these O-Town based folks who consider what they do to be 'a job' or 'work' when it isn't. Living in theme parks 4-5-6 days a week is a very sad existence unless you are an employee of said parks (and even then it is!) The fact the Internet has allowed these folks to sort of leech onto Mickey's butt and start s__________g away an income stream doesn't make it work or legit. The Kardashians work harder!:D

WDW1974

Original Poster
Out of curiousity, how do you continue to get into the parks for free considering your current position about WDW? Is it your friends that take care of you or management? This is an honest question, don't want you to think there is anything crazy to it!

Um ... where did I state that I got into the parks for free? I have paid my way into WDW since ... well, since Mommy and Daddy were paying ... and I have had an AP since they began selling them. Now, I do get family and friends into WDW for free often because (this may totally shock you!:cool:) but I actually have quite a few friends who work for TWDC and not only do they like me :eek: ... but they agree with my viewpoints and then some.

I may have stated that I regularly have gotten into DL for free since 2007 (had an AP from 1998 until then) with the exception of one day I paid for back in December again due to some great friends!

I've also paid for APs to DLP four years in the past seven, one to HKDL in 2010-11 and paid for my only visit (SO FAR!:)) to TDR in 2010.

disneyrcks

Right now, this is the only Disney site whose discussion boards I even read, let alone post on. I had a VERY bad experience with a site I considered my online home for many years simply because I broached a subject that is absolutely one of the most important facing the Disney fan community today (I'll give ya a hint, you're reading a similar one now here). There really wasn't any ugliness as far as my leaving that site, which is a bit odd considering how much animus goes around this allegedly Pixie Dusted crowd. The owner got heat for things I wrote (no matter that they happen to be true ... it's like our criminal justice system -- if you murder an innocent man, that doesn't matter, just that you followed procedure in doing so!) and then started feeling like I was the voice of his site, something I never tried to be or wanted. And ... could go on, but it's not really important.

The sad thing is the proliferation of social networking sites like Twitter and FB and Disney Lifestyle sites has taken its toll on sites like this. There are people who don't want to hear anything negative about Disney, they view it like a religion or their political affiliation and will never change, so instead of trying to debate issues, they feel it's better to just run and hang with a clique ... and well, then the terrorists have won!:lookaroun ... it's like preaching to your own flock all the time. No one will ever actually make you think, question or change your world or World views!

See here is where I am going to have to disagree. When people get worked up about a religion they are nasty, refuse to see anyone else's point of view and usually a war starts. I mean come on.....this is a THEME PARK. Again I just want to say that I appreciate the passion many of you have for Disney and I understand why you want to point out the flaws. But can you please take a quick look at what you just typed. You just compared a persons view on Disney to a view on religion. That is soooo over dramatic and a little weird. Also I don't see anyone here running and hiding when they want to offer a differing of opinion. What I see quite often lately (and I am not directing this towards you 74) is immaturity and taunting towards people who may not be as invested in Disney as you Reconstructionists. Someone that still goes on a vacation and enjoys it, is now labeled a pixie dust whatever. A person who says "I think you guys may be going overboard" is labeled a dirty pixie dust snorter. Really? I mean really? I do not understand how someone types that "saying" without feeling completly lame. Being passionate is good but being too into something just seems creepy. I see your points, I am okay with what you say, I am okay with everyone here that agrees with you. But this immature BS has got to stop......It is just pathetic now (again not towards you 74). Everyone keeps saying "oh it is a discussion forum, blah blah, we can say how we feel, blah blah, well try feeling something original and maybe something a mature adult would feel.

Captain Chaos

I have to say that this is the only discussion forum I am a part of (Disney or not) so your description of others makes some things more clear. I also really appreciate your post, it was intelligent, insightful and it had a point. I have said this before and I will put it here again. I love vacationing at Disney and have been several times but I could not tell you any major details of who works for the company, what parts of rides should be where, what usually is working and what is not. I thoroughly enjoy my time there when we are on vacation but it is not something I am intense about. I think that is why sometimes I view some posts as extreme. It seems these days the boards are divided amongst those who are passionate about everything that is wrong at WDW being fixed and those who just simply still enjoy their vacation there. Snortin pixie dust and whatever just seem like ridiculous terms especially to someone like me who still enjoys a vacation. I couldn't care less about pixie dust but bet your bottom I will love my vacation :lol: It mostly boils down to passion. I can see the passion that many posters have for WDW and that is why they are intense about the things that are wrong with it. But maybe some people are not as passionate as them and just want to enjoy their vacation? Is there harm in that?

By all means have fun and enjoy your WDW vacation... You paid enough.. :)
Heck I have fun when I go... I enjoy WDW too.. But I can also remain critical of where I think they are failing, when I see AA's not working for months on end, and when I see them putting profit in front of everything else...

I think the issue a lot of people have, I can't speak for them, but I can try to form an opinion based on their posts, is there are way too many people out there who think bad show is acceptable when Disney, at one point in their history, NEVER allowed bad show... People defend it... And when someone calls Disney out on it, these same people attack with venom...

There are podcasters and website owners who kiss the mouse house rear end... Everything Disney does is TERRIFIC or AWESOME.. or PERFECT... They talk Disney up as if it is the greatest thing on Earth, ignoring the problems... I always joke saying that if Disney shut down most of the popular attrations and replaced them with gift shops, restaurants, DVC carts, or left just empty spaces, Lou Mongello (who I call the leader of the Pixie Dust Brigade) would get on his podcast spouting how this was the greatest decision in the history of WDW and the Disney company and his drone followers would fall in line behind him...

I don't begrudge people for loving WDW... I know I love the place (and yes I love Universal and IOA, not in love with SeaWorld, but I am willing to work on loving that park too)... But again, this isn't about loving or hating WDW... This isn't about being drunk on hater-aide or high on pixie dust... This thread is about Disney using and abusing kiss butt web site owners and podcasters for their own spin, to drown out the people who are rightfully calling WDW management out for their short comings, for pointing out where WDW has decayed and become stale, how WDW management no longer puts show above the almighty bottom line, about pointing out some of the dumbing down of the guest experience while raising prices, and to shut these people up about the theme park 10 miles down the road (Yes I am talking about Universal here) when we/they gush about Potter being the best addition to central Florida theme park in years (it is by the way) or that Universal has finally gotten it right and is starting to beat Disney at Disney's game... Disney wants these people silenced... it is better for them to shut these people up that to tackle the issue at hand...

This is why I love WDWMagic... Steve lets us brag about Universal's offerings... He lets us discuss WDW's shortcomings, even if he doesn't agree... He lets us have civilized debates (though some members just can't seem to discuss anything with any kind of civility)... We can speak our minds and our opinions (and no one opinions are wrong unless you try to state them as facts as some members do, then you can be wrong)... Some other sites, forget it... You cannot mention anthing I stated above or else you are shunned or banned... it's all pixie dust all the time... And it is rather sickening...

Please, enjoy your next trip... I know I will.. :)

Captain Chaos

I don't regularly listen to any podcasts ... ANY ... although I have been asked to appear on more than a few.

I won't talk specifically about Ricky because I don't know him (although he apparently hails from the same area I do), but I do get a kick out of these O-Town based folks who consider what they do to be 'a job' or 'work' when it isn't. Living in theme parks 4-5-6 days a week is a very sad existence unless you are an employee of said parks (and even then it is!) The fact the Internet has allowed these folks to sort of leech onto Mickey's butt and start s__________g away an income stream doesn't make it work or legit. The Kardashians work harder!:D

I think I know the site you are talking about... I never posted there. Read it, hated it, never went back LOL...

As for Ricky, his show is very professional, in my opinion.... He doesn't come off as a kiss butt... I remember being at thee MK for the 40th... I saw Ricky walking in the park with another guy and a female, maybe his GF... No large entourage, no large gathering of drones... I didn't even see his doing any reporting, just walking around enjoying the day... On the other hand, the other one, Lou, was walking about with his video camera, microphone, laptop, and an entourage of love sick puppy dogs... They reminded me of high school girls following around the quarterback, batting their eyes and oohing and ahhing every time he flexed for them... And he was eating it all up...

disneyrcks

Um ... where did I state that I got into the parks for free? I have paid my way into WDW since ... well, since Mommy and Daddy were paying ... and I have had an AP since they began selling them. Now, I do get family and friends into WDW for free often because (this may totally shock you!:cool:) but I actually have quite a few friends who work for TWDC and not only do they like me :eek: ... but they agree with my viewpoints and then some.

I may have stated that I regularly have gotten into DL for free since 2007 (had an AP from 1998 until then) with the exception of one day I paid for back in December again due to some great friends!

I've also paid for APs to DLP four years in the past seven, one to HKDL in 2010-11 and paid for my only visit (SO FAR!:)) to TDR in 2010.

Sorry if I made a mistake about the park. Thanks for handling it as a well rounded, polite adult :rolleyes:. As I stated it was just a curious question so I am sorry if you took offense. You could have just said"I think you misunderstood or that is not correct". But you took a completly different avenue, didn't ya? I did not have a problem with you at all but your response was really rude. I thought I had read some of your posts where you stated you would not pay to go to WDW. I was trying to carry on a conversation but your reply was so snotty and quite honestly douchy. Now I have to ask.....What is your problem buddy? Know what...don't bother answering, I am putting your rude, uptight, unhealthy obsessed with Disney, butt on ignore.

WDW1974

Original Poster
See here is where I am going to have to disagree. When people get worked up about a religion they are nasty, refuse to see anyone else's point of view and usually a war starts. I mean come on.....this is a THEME PARK. Again I just want to say that I appreciate the passion many of you have for Disney and I understand why you want to point out the flaws. But can you please take a quick look at what you just typed. You just compared a persons view on Disney to a view on religion. That is soooo over dramatic and a little weird.

No, it sadly isn't. I don't know the extent of your Disney fan experience, but I can tell you as someone who has been around the community for a very long time that many absolutely pray at the altar of Mickey. Just because it seems odd and wrong (I do think it is both!) doesn't mean it isn't true.

Many fans scare me. They are looking for the childhood that never was and never will be on visits to WDW (and DL). They try and convince themselves they are removed from the real world when all I see is them bringing mental illness to a nice place I like to vacation and hang out at.

Take a Transatlantic cruise with Disney like I did in 2010. Spend two weeks 'trapped' (although in a VERY good place:)) with people who believe Disney can do no wrong. Watch their body language and speech patterns change when you say one bad thing about the company ... the BRAND.

I get the feeling, Jessica, that you just haven't experienced a lot of bizarre fan behavior ... but that doesn't mean it isn't there. I bet in one visit to a theme park I could open your eyes very quickly ... but maybe you wouldn't want your eyes open ... just like many of these folks don't want to know they're not praying to Walt or Mickey, but to an American media goliath of the 21st century. And despite what some politicians want you to believe, corps are not people.

A lot of folks in the fan community are just plain scary. And not in a good Spirited way, either. :drevil:

Captain Chaos

See here is where I am going to have to disagree. When people get worked up about a religion they are nasty, refuse to see anyone else's point of view and usually a war starts. I mean come on.....this is a THEME PARK. Again I just want to say that I appreciate the passion many of you have for Disney and I understand why you want to point out the flaws. But can you please take a quick look at what you just typed. You just compared a persons view on Disney to a view on religion. That is soooo over dramatic and a little weird. Also I don't see anyone here running and hiding when they want to offer a differing of opinion. What I see quite often lately (and I am not directing this towards you 74) is immaturity and taunting towards people who may not be as invested in Disney as you Reconstructionists. Someone that still goes on a vacation and enjoys it, is now labeled a pixie dust whatever. A person who says "I think you guys may be going overboard" is labeled a dirty pixie dust snorter. Really? I mean really? I do not understand how someone types that "saying" without feeling completly lame. Being passionate is good but being too into something just seems creepy. I see your points, I am okay with what you say, I am okay with everyone here that agrees with you. But this immature BS has got to stop......It is just pathetic now (again not towards you 74). Everyone keeps saying "oh it is a discussion forum, blah blah, we can say how we feel, blah blah, well try feeling something original and maybe something a mature adult would feel.

I believe your name is Jessica it is in your signature.. so mind if I use your name??? I agree with you to a point Jessica... There is a lot of immature bickering... But things work both ways, not just one...

I'm sure you read this site and see that people are also attacking those being critical calling them haters... there have been members calling for the banning of those who are critical and who don't post 100% positive posts about Disney...

I would say you are passionate about Disney... I know I am.. I can say without a shadow of a doubt 74 is... I'll even bet 100% of the membership here is very passionate about Disney... or else, we wouldn't be here... But 74 is right when he says there are people who view Disney as a religion... These people worship at the alter of Walt... They make Disney their life's work, their mission, their reason for being... Take Disney away and these people may actually fall into a depression... They exist... you may not have seen them or paid much attention to them, but they do exist...

WDW1974

Original Poster
Sorry if I made a mistake about the park. Thanks for handling it as a well rounded, polite adult :rolleyes:. As I stated it was just a curious question so I am sorry if you took offense. You could have just said"I think you misunderstood or that is not correct". But you took a completly different avenue, didn't ya? I did not have a problem with you at all but your response was really rude. I thought I had read some of your posts where you stated you would not pay to go to WDW. I was trying to carry on a conversation but your reply was so snotty and quite honestly douchy. Now I have to ask.....What is your problem buddy? Know what...don't bother answering, I am putting your rude, uptight, unhealthy obsessed with Disney, butt on ignore.

You know what? You asked a personal question and I answered it with no disrespect intended or written (except what you chose to read in due to whatever opinions/biases you have in your head ... oy vey ...).

There was nothing snotty or 'douchy' about my response and at some point perhaps you'll realize ... nah, not at 1:20 a.m. ... nope. Jess, whatever. Have a MAGICal night!

disneyrcks

I believe your name is Jessica it is in your signature.. so mind if I use your name??? I agree with you to a point Jessica... There is a lot of immature bickering... But things work both ways, not just one...

I'm sure you read this site and see that people are also attacking those being critical calling them haters... there have been members calling for the banning of those who are critical and who don't post 100% positive posts about Disney...

I would say you are passionate about Disney... I know I am.. I can say without a shadow of a doubt 74 is... I'll even bet 100% of the membership here is very passionate about Disney... or else, we wouldn't be here... But 74 is right when he says there are people who view Disney as a religion... These people worship at the alter of Walt... They make Disney their life's work, their mission, their reason for being... Take Disney away and these people may actually fall into a depression... They exist... you may not have seen them or paid much attention to them, but they do exist...

You can absolutely call me Jessica. I know it goes both ways. Believe me I have seen many posters here who will just blindly defend bad business moves simply because they love Disney. I think that is immature also. I am all for discussion, it is wonderful when people can exchange opinions and ideas without getting nasty or crazy. I think you and I are doing it right now! I didn't mean to single out those who are passionate about Disney fixing the issues that they feel need to be fixed. The ones who say everything is okey dokey and will be nasty and call those who find fault are to blame also. I am passionate about Disney but only because it is an awesome vacation when I go there. My husband is the big Disney fan of the family (he doesn't do forums). I get the point but delivery is always a big part of the discussion. Tonight you have delivered your points very well. I have enjoyed our back and forth and you have given me some things to think about. And while you are right that things do work both ways when it comes to bickering, the one who always states the point in the mature way wins. Two wrongs don't make a right, right?

disneyrcks

You know what? You asked a personal question and I answered it with no disrespect intended or written (except what you chose to read in due to whatever opinions/biases you have in your head ... oy vey ...).

There was nothing snotty or 'douchy' about my response and at some point perhaps you'll realize ... nah, not at 1:20 a.m. ... nope. Jess, whatever. Have a MAGICal night!

I did ask a personal question and you could have chosen not to answer. I would have respected that. Any answer that begins with UMMM....where did I say...... Like I said, you could have responded with "I think you may be mistaken" or "That is not accurate". You responded the way you did and it was rude buddy. Sorry, it is what it is! I have no biases or opinions. I like Disney but what I really care about is people, community and education. That and education is my priority in life. That is what is in my head my friend, not Splash Mountain, MK or Epcot. So you keep thinking that I hold a "Disney Grudge" against you and I will keep laughing. If you think opinions and biases are in my head then you are narcissitic and sad. Maybe you should deal with the fact that a person who isn't that into Disney called you out on what you really are. A narcissitic, obsessive, weirdo. I know you have read my feelings on Disney before because we discussed them in the DVC thread. Ya know what, I will remind you! I said I would be just as happy Carnival Cruising and my hubby is the Disney fan.

disneyrcks

Again, I could give two craps about Disney. There is no hidden Disney agenda here. You were rude to me for no reason and that is douchy, my friend. I am sure your narcissism will prohibit you from seeing that but trust me this situation is exactly as it is....no Disney required! I would never let a theme park cloud my judgement or rule my life :shrug: So "Spirit" whatever. Have a magical, Disney obsessed existence.

Captain Chaos

You can absolutely call me Jessica. I know it goes both ways. Believe me I have seen many posters here who will just blindly defend bad business moves simply because they love Disney. I think that is immature also. I am all for discussion, it is wonderful when people can exchange opinions and ideas without getting nasty or crazy. I think you and I are doing it right now! I didn't mean to single out those who are passionate about Disney fixing the issues that they feel need to be fixed. The ones who say everything is okey dokey and will be nasty and call those who find fault are to blame also. I am passionate about Disney but only because it is an awesome vacation when I go there. My husband is the big Disney fan of the family (he doesn't do forums). I get the point but delivery is always a big part of the discussion. Tonight you have delivered your points very well. I have enjoyed our back and forth and you have given me some things to think about. And while you are right that things do work both ways when it comes to bickering, the one who always states the point in the mature way wins. Two wrongs don't make a right, right?

Two wrongs do not make a right, and four rights just puts you back where you started (think about that one for a minute HAHAHAHA)... You are 100% right about immaturity... I know I have gotten heated over some discussions, mostly when people try to push their opinions as facts... The Avatar threads seem to have a lot of the heated arguments right now... There is just no way to have a civil debate with people who are ignorant, stubborn, and have to be the king of the internet... I'll respect someone's opinions and feelings toward certain topics as long as they respect mine... But it is the people who have the need to shout down your opinions as if they don't matter, who when you provide facts to back up your argument and they ignore those facts as if you made them up and the facts don't matter and then present nothing but nonsense to back up their claims, and when these people make a claim, get proven wrong, and they resort to name calling and baby games to make the other person look like an idiot or clueless, these are the people I have no use for.. And yes, there are some members here like that (on both sides of the arguments).... And no, not talking about you Jess :)

Anyway, it is late... time to head out of here tonight...

Horizonsfan

Ignoring the bickering for the moment.:lookaroun

Brown noser. Do you know that we met at the D23 Expo? As for Ricky's show - admittedly we joke about his show, but comparing our show to his isn't really fair. We're trying to accomplish different things. Yes we're both Disney shows, but Ricky's show is far more informative than ours (and substantially more professional as well). I really don't think it's fair to Ricky to compare his show to ours, nor do I think it's fair to compare our show to his.

Really wasn't trying to brownnose.:lol: I was just saying that the format and discussion on your podcast is preferable to me. Ricky's show is great and somewhat like a disney/themepark newmagazine. I just like a little more commentary/analysis, typically. Listen to both regularly though. (Who doesn't like a fencesitter?:D)

Sorry...not helping with the OT drift. Ummm...so about that panel...

lazyboy97o

There really are people who make statements that do portray Disney as a religion. When a person describes themselves as "living the Disney lifestyle and trying to infuse a bit of Magic in every part of my day" that is going beyond just having an enjoyable vacation.

I also think, while it may sound mean, to me "Pixie Dust snorter" comes off a lot nicer than the term used inside Disney, "foamer."

RSoxNo1

I think the real problem is that none of the Disney related fans sites are independent and autonomous. All of them are beholden to sponsors, advertisers and have affiliations with the travel industry. Therefore, they can’t be objective and everything they communicate is suspect. Some are much more blatant than others. I recognize that it costs a lot of money to run these websites so I can understand their need for funds. Some of these websites turn a tidy profit as well so it goes both ways. Also, the perks from Disney have already been mentioned. :wave:

Sponsors are absolutely necessary as a site grows larger. I understand that this presents a trust issue for recommendations, so it's really up to the listener/user as to how the judge that.

The sponsor for our show is Pixie Vacations, and as such they are afforded certain privilidges on our show (such as appearances and a weekly mention).

Last February I had a negative experience with another travel agent - basically seeing her acting entitled at Kona Cafe, when the truth was she was incorrect in her understanding of a policy. Her behavior was inappropriate for an adult and I shared the story on the show. This individual worked for a travel agency that we were going to be involved with at one point, but for completely different reasons it didn't happen. Had this been the case, I would have certainly reached back out to the company and informed them of what I witnessed. I didn't mention the name of the other travel agency on the show, nor can I say how I would have handled the situation on our show if they were our actual sponsor.

Having said that, having a travel agent as our sponsor has changed my approach to Disney trips. Now I always reach out to them to see if they can get a better room rate for me. It doesn't always mean that I'll use it, but there is no harm in asking, and no cost to me.

If a show or site is up front about their sponsor, I really don't see an issue with it. I can tell you from our own experiences that TouringPlans.com is not a sponsor of ours, but we have had Len Testa and Fred Hazelton on the show on multiple occasions because we like their product. That's not to say that I wouldn't oppose to them being a sponsor in the future if there was mutual interest, but at this point we have them on the show because we feel they are benefiting the fan community.

I would agree with that ... to a point. Sites like this one that aren't all glitz and glamour (I haven't seen Steve in heels and feather boa singing show tunes yet!:eek:) are much more about information (putting facts out that help people, mostly fans, better understand what's going on and plan resort visits) AND discussion boards.

So long as the boards allow free, frank and open discussion, Disney isn't going to have control. Now, there are times when Disney will put heat on webmasters when people say things that get legal's attention ... just an FYI, but you probably don't want use words like 'child' endangerment' and 'Disney Social Media experiment' in the same post. :zipit::drevil::king:

But it all remains open until webmasters take things from Disney and I'm not talking about banner ads. I'm talking about cash, tickets, free flights, hotels stays, cruises, meals, party invites, gift cards, swag, access to celebs, Imagineers and execs etc. THAT is when there is a sort of quid pro quo and it often means 'shut those posters up' ... it's not ever put in writing and it hardly ever comes from a bigwig whether in Burbank, Glendale or O-Town, but it is filtered down and the message is delivered.

I believe this site is quite profitable and doesn't (to my knowledge) even take invites to events (one would think it should be given them ... but they aren't offered to Kevin Yee either), so you don't exactly need Disney's seal of approval to do this ... yet. And that's a good thing.

We've talked about this in the past - Disney can certainly hand pick their independent "shills", and they are certainly entitled to do so. They also have a vested interest in these online bloggers and podcasters covering their content, the assumption is that it will be covered positively.

Speaking from personal experience I have never received an unprevoked gift from Disney either in the form of an invite or free or discounted lodging. Not in the form of a pin code, nor as a co-host for a Disney podcast. I have however requested two press passes to cover the D23 Expo, had one denied and one granted. This leads me to believe that requests like this are handled on a site traffic basis.

Ricky actually gave up covering the parks as a job (he founded Orlando Attractions Magazine) citing that it took away from his enjoyment of the parks. I definitely respect that.

The thing is, if you disagree with someone on anything that they "believe in", it immediately becomes contentious. To many of us, in some way, shape, or form, Disney is something that we "believe in".

It's a relatively obscure thing to reference, but Kevin Smith nailed this concept in his movie Dogma. (I'm paraphrasing) "People should have ideas, changing an idea is easy. Changing a belief is trickier." The most glaring examples we see are religion and politics. But when we discuss people's "beliefs" they immediately get defensive and are incapable of having rationale conversations. I love talking about religion, but to do so with most people requires walking on eggshells. The same can hold true for politics, fans of a sports team, and in the case of those of on here - Disney.

Having rational, well thought out conversation is healthy. But people are often afraid of, or incapable of doing it.

Clever Name

Many fans scare me. They are looking for the childhood that never was and never will be on visits to WDW (and DL). They try and convince themselves they are removed from the real world when all I see is them bringing mental illness to a nice place I like to vacation and hang out at.

A lot of folks in the fan community are just plain scary. And not in a good Spirited way, either. :drevil:

I have come to the same conclusion. :wave:

I run a half decent "Disney World blog" with more than a million visitors/year. Disney has never contacted me about anything. Not to whine, promote, or offer. And I have a ton of copyrighted stuff that they could freak out about if they wanted to. I have only contacted them twice in about two years. Once about a ticket to that Star Tours opening (denied) and once about what they were doing with the Electrical Parade/Fantasmic. Only got a half-answer on that one. I know a number of other "Disney bloggers" that receive similar treatment. I'm not sure what I could extract from them if I tried.

It isn't exactly like the money and airfare is raining from the ceiling on the blog community. I think many of you are confusing "bloggers" with the "travel agent community." Disney will fly you around if you're a big name travel agency. I'm sure we will see a lot of coverage for the Disney Fantasy in a month or whatever it is. But there is money in it for Disney too.

I would guess Ricky's trip to Disneyland was probably comped? I was under the impression that you have to mention these sorts of things because of some FTC rule, but maybe there are ways around that.

As far as living in Florida and "covering theme parks for a living," it isn't that pathetic in my opinion. My life isn't bad.

Not sure where the "hate" stems from. I'm certainly not doing anything to you.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom