Large Dark Mark on Spaceship Earth (?) or; does lightning ever strike SE?

Birdflu

Original Poster
I just returned home today from my honeymoon in WDW (It was amazing!!) and my wife and I noticed something.. there was suddenly a very large dark spot on top of spaceship earth at epcot one day.. we didn't see this spot at all previously (the two prior days) and then suddenly it was very noticeable (from say when the bus pulls up to drop you off but not after you have walked into the park itself as the angle is too hight).. the only possible thing we could guess (i stress the word "guess" there) was maybe lightning might have struck it? we have no reason to think this happened but couldn't think of any other reason there would suddenly be a huge dark spot.. anyone have any explanation? here are two pictures i took from about the bus drop off-to-bag check area.. you can see the dark spot on the upper right side of the sphere..

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v169/EvanPortrait/photo-18.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v169/EvanPortrait/photo-17.jpg

floridabill

Power wash maybe??

I wonder if they can get up there and power wash it or something?? someone a cast member or a higher up has to see this and hopefully do something!

Epic Epcot

I wonder if they can get up there and power wash it or something?? someone a cast member or a higher up has to see this and hopefully do something!

From the other thread:
Cleaning this morning at 4AM using the 150' high reach:

0708100404.jpg

07082010041.jpg

These were taken with a cell phone so I'm sorry for the poor quality. I had it wrong the first time about the order of the cleaning. They told me that they start at the bottom and work their way up having to pressure wash upwards so it doesn't fall on the other buildings, flowers and people that are working below. This is why the top looks "dirty." As of this morning the dark spots are facing The Seas side of SSE (west) but everything should be completed soon. It's quite a process! :wave:

Biff215

Yeah, it was pretty bad in late June. You don't notice it much while in the park, but it's very visible while driving or in the Epcot parking lot. It's a shame they let it get this bad before dealing with it.

Rob562

Unfortunately, it's still dirty.
15yf79c.jpg

As mentioned in the other thread, there's only one pair of people who're authorized/trained to rappel from the top of SSE to clean the upper half, and they've been pulled off the cleaning to do other high-up work in the park lately.

But if you notice in the zoomed-in photo, the rappelling/safety anchor post at the top of SSE is still deployed, so they'll most likely be working on it again soon. (I'm 99% sure that's not left out there all the time)

-Rob

raven

But if you notice in the zoomed-in photo, the rappelling/safety anchor post at the top of SSE is still deployed, so they'll most likely be working on it again soon. (I'm 99% sure that's not left out there all the time)

-Rob

Saw them up there Friday night/Saturday morning from clear over in the France Pavilion. They said they keep getting pulled for other stuff and, like most of us in that deparment, don't know what we are doing from day to day until we get there.

Susannah

A Dark Mark?

That's one heck of an advertising ploy by Universal.

Or Voldemort is rather ticked that Wizard World isn't spelling death and doom for the Disney parks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom