Kraken VS. Hulk

Disneydreamer23

I love Manta is is awesome. Kraken we didn't go on unfortuanatly my 6 7 husband of 340 pounds the harness didn't fit over his shoulders but if its any thing like manta its awesome, manta says take out phones etc bc they can break and for sure it broke my husbands lol!

stitch2008

It's all in the wheels :king:

There was something about the transitions on Hulk that I entirely disliked. After having rode in 30+ B&Ms that takes the cake for my least favorite hands down.

Are these the clamshells you are referencing? If so, then I actually love them; I ride Apollo's 125+ times a year. They just do not accomodate larger people.

6.jpg

For what its worth. Ive heard that B&M doesn't really like the Hulk and just engineered it the way Universal wanted it. B&M will have a launched coaster of their own(Hulks launch was out sourced) in the near future. But they still wont be fans of Hulk from what ive heard.

Kraken is better. Its at least smoother and has the floorless feeling. And the pacing of the ride is better as well.

StageFrenzy

Remember Griffon has the 3x10 seating prior to Shiekra and floorless. Griffon provided the best view of the James River Ghost Fleet pre-Mach Tower. The views were a huge plus to me. I personally love Griffon, the extra immelman has me sold on it over Sheikra. The 3x10 seating on either edge gives you a much faster rotation out of the immelman, and when I went a year without being in a racecar or Extra-300 plane it would make me begin to go black. I feel it does not fit with BGW's excellent collection of terrain-coaster but it is still a nice addition. Verbolten is slated to open May with a new coaster in the works for 2014/15. The positives outweigh the negatives to me. Not to mention being on when emergency egress was needed.... Yea. That was fun.

I guess Busch gardens is getting away from the twin coaster concept, 14-15 is very quick for an additional coaster. They only have 5 1/2 coasters though compared to 7 (counting scorpion and Grover as half) at BGT.

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
I wouldn't so much say "getting away" as there really were not all that many that were paired together. You have Alpen/Montu and Griffon/Sheikra. I do not see Cheetah and Verbolten as a pair because a) we lost one so one was due in anyways b) Zierer > Intamin, just a coincidence they are opening within a year of each other. No Kumba was originally planned to have a twin but I am sure you are well aware of that debacle.

captainkidd

Original Poster
I love Hulk, but during one of my rides last summer, it seemed really rough. My head was bouncing all over the place, and I actually ended up with a ruptured eardrum from it.

jonnyc

I love Hulk, but during one of my rides last summer, it seemed really rough. My head was bouncing all over the place, and I actually ended up with a ruptured eardrum from it.

When I in my teens I got the head banging, but I am lucky enough to have a very tall upper body (and consequently very short legs :lol:) and don't have that problem anymore.

I love both Hulk and Kraken, but I think the start of the Hulk gives it the edge. I do enjoy the suspense of the big lift hill Kraken.

Manta is one of the most intense experiences I've had in recent years on coasters, I think it is more to do with how different it is. That loop part of it is very fun.

StageFrenzy

I wouldn't so much say "getting away" as there really were not all that many that were paired together. You have Alpen/Montu and Griffon/Sheikra. I do not see Cheetah and Verbolten as a pair because a) we lost one so one was due in anyways b) Zierer > Intamin, just a coincidence they are opening within a year of each other. No Kumba was originally planned to have a twin but I am sure you are well aware of that debacle.

poor poor Drachen fire

captainkidd

Original Poster
Manta is one of the most intense experiences I've had in recent years on coasters, I think it is more to do with how different it is. That loop part of it is very fun.

I'm very uncertain about riding Manta. Speed wise, it's slower than Hulk, but I've never been on a flying coaster, and just not sure I'll like it (rather, not sure my stomach will.)

cheezbat

I kinda take back my opinion that they age horribly, I was at Busch Gardens the other day and Montu was great. Damn Kumba is loud though, I could hear the thing the moment i left the Skyride Station.

you know the name Kumba means ROAR. They wanted it loud! It's intimidating!

I love the roar of a good B&M coaster. :king:

Bairstow

I'm very uncertain about riding Manta. Speed wise, it's slower than Hulk, but I've never been on a flying coaster, and just not sure I'll like it (rather, not sure my stomach will.)

I've been on a couple flying coasters and Manta is the only one I've really enjoyed. It's certainly more fun than the Superman clones B&M put out a few years back, and even if the ride was no good the queue and music are top notch and there's a lot of cool stuff to look at during the ending helix.

As far as intensity, nothing in Manta is nearly as violent or stomach-churning as the Hulk's launch and cobra roll. If you can handle that you can definitely handle Manta.

Is anyone else as excited as I am for B&M's upcoming wing-riders?

Silver Figment

I thought about the hulk fighting a Kraken... That's a fight i want to see. I've never been on either coaster but i've heard good things about the Hulk.

Bairstow

From what I have seen they are the outer edge seats of the divers on steroids. Looks interesting. I will wait and see if BGW's 201415 coaster is one.

Why wait? Go to Dollywood in 2 months.

Remember Griffon has the 3x10 seating prior to Shiekra and floorless. Griffon provided the best view of the James River Ghost Fleet pre-Mach Tower. The views were a huge plus to me. I personally love Griffon, the extra immelman has me sold on it over Sheikra. The 3x10 seating on either edge gives you a much faster rotation out of the immelman, and when I went a year without being in a racecar or Extra-300 plane it would make me begin to go black...

Speaking of diving machines, and cephalopod-themed B&M coasters, have you seen "Krake"?

Logo_Krake.jpg

5824869654_e98cb7a05d.jpg

Pete C

I have to update my review because I just rode Hulk again after riding Kraken recently. I would have to say that they are very close...almost a toss up. However, my personal preference leans toward the Kraken. The Kraken is definitely smoother which is big for me. I think their intensity level is about on par in terms of positive G forces. Hulk has a less conventional layout for a B&M so that is a plus. Hulk's launch and Kraken's straight drop are both unique to B&M loopers in North America, but I personally prefer the drop. Also, while both give a great sense of speed, I give the floorless a slight edge in the front seat giving you that open feel.

fraser182

Fantasmic Premium Member
Is anyone else as excited as I am for B&M's upcoming wing-riders?

I rode the Swarm in Thorpe Park, England - winged rider.
Typical B&M ride in a good way - very smooth and nice transitions.
Down side - after the main drop, it got a little boring.

I'm just back from Phantasialand, Germany and rode the Black Mamba - unbelievable inverted coaster.

I'm looking forwarding to visiting Busch Gardens as my friends say Kumba is outstanding.

I might be going to Sea World, just to ride the coasters as well :D

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member

You are the second person in the past hour hour I have heard say that (other was on a different forum). My friend said X-Flight was the more forceless bore of a coaster that he had ever been on. Different coaster, same opinion on the style. Kind of a bummer, really.

fraser182

Fantasmic Premium Member
You are the second person in the past hour hour I have heard say that (other was on a different forum). My friend said X-Flight was the more forceless bore of a coaster that he had ever been on. Different coaster, same opinion on the style. Kind of a bummer, really.

Yeah :(

Bairstow

I've been on Dollywood's Wild Eagle - a lot- and it does not disappoint. Initially I was disappointed that it doesn't do that big lazy roll-over roll right after the lift, like the other Wingriders do. However, having ridden it I can see why it doesn't- the view from the top of the lift is positively jaw-dropping- you can see for miles and miles over the mountains and at night, when the mist starts to form, you can definitely see why they call them the Smokey Mountains.

Glassy smooth too, though I guess X is the same way right now.
Gotta love that new coaster smell.

On the downside, it's a little short, and I feel as though the capacity could have been greatly increased by adding a provision for a third train.

I'm just back from Phantasialand, Germany and rode the Black Mamba - unbelievable inverted coaster.

Lucky you. Foreign B&M inverts often seem to have phenomenal themeing.

Speaking of which, let me introduce you to Crystal Wing:
happyvalley_34_149.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYG31Ujz0VU

I'm looking forwarding to visiting Busch Gardens as my friends say Kumba is outstanding.

I might be going to Sea World, just to ride the coasters as well :D

I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for Kumba.
It was the first "big" coaster I ever rode, and as a "normal" sit-down B&M it's kind of a rarity.
SheiKra is my favorite one at Busch Gardens Tampa right now, though.
And Sea World is DEFINITELY worth your time, though I'd be concerned about what the construction has done to the place.

fraser182

Fantasmic Premium Member
I've been on Dollywood's Wild Eagle - a lot- and it does not disappoint. Initially I was disappointed that it doesn't do that big lazy roll-over roll right after the lift, like the other Wingriders do. However, having ridden it I can see why it doesn't- the view from the top of the lift is positively jaw-dropping- you can see for miles and miles over the mountains and at night, when the mist starts to form, you can definitely see why they call them the Smokey Mountains.

That is cool with the vertical loop. Wild Eagle is setup with more 'typical' elements and it looks good fun. I think the first drop from the Swarm is more impressive, especially when I sat at the back and at one point, the front of the train was inverted (and I was still in the normal upright position). Dollywood is on my list to visit - thanks for sharing that ride :animwink:

On the downside, it's a little short, and I feel as though the capacity could have been greatly increased by adding a provision for a third train.
My internet is crap where I am but so not going to watch the video of the ride again, but the number of trains depends on the number of sections and I think there was only one set of brakes right at the end? If so, only 2 trains can run on the track max.

Lucky you. Foreign B&M inverts often seem to have phenomenal themeing.
It was amazing the themeing - contraversial to say this, but I think it was a better ride than Nemesis in Alton Towers (my own opinion)

Speaking of which, let me introduce you to Crystal Wing:
happyvalley_34_149.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYG31Ujz0VU
Crazy theming - love it. I must admit, my heart is with Tatsu for flying coasters, but no theme as typical of Six Flags. Im sure Mantis would be awesome to try. The company I work for has done a few rides in Happy Valley.

I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for Kumba.
It was the first "big" coaster I ever rode, and as a "normal" sit-down B&M it's kind of a rarity.
SheiKra is my favorite one at Busch Gardens Tampa right now, though.
And Sea World is DEFINITELY worth your time, though I'd be concerned about what the construction has done to the place.

You would think with my job , being such a big fan of them, that I would have been to Busch Gardens.
Thanks for all the info and I am defo doing Busch Gardens and will DEFO do Sea World;even if none of the family join me :animwink:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom