Kona Cafe vs. The Wave - Dinner only ?

Millie Mouse

Original Poster
I need help to decide between Kona Cafe and The Wave for dinner (what's good at each one?). We want a monorail resort for dinner and then on to MK for fireworks, etc. Two adult non-drinkers on regular dining plan. Husband likes good size portions. O'hana is booked and we don't want to show up at 5pm for a possible table there (way too early). No interest in Chef Mickeys and too cheap for Cali Grill (both booked anyway). :confused:

DrummerAlly

The Wave!

My husband and I ate at the wave and by far, it was our best meal of the trip (including Narcoosee's and Le Cellier). He had the pork dish and I had the pasta with the muscles and shrimp. The food was simply amazing and the restaurant was quiet and relaxing. As a disclaimer, I've never eaten at Kona.

plaz10

Well, to even the sides...I vote for Kona (but disclaimer as well: I've never eaten at The Wave)

I got the teriyaki steak w/rice. it was one of the best steaks I have ever eaten (really battles w/le cellier's). The bread was amazing as well. Even the desserts and I'm not a huge dessert person were (you guessed it..)amazing! We had the chocolate lava cake and the white chocolate cheesecake. The service was also very good. The only downfall I'd say is the atmosphere. It's like a restaurant in the lobby of the Poly. No high walls or anything separating you from the rest of the lobby. But as far as meals go...it's now a Must Do for us every time we go!

bamillerpa

We have reservations for both in three weeks so I'm glad to hear positive reviews! We've never done Kona except for breakfast so I'm really excited!!:sohappy:

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
We ate at both for dinner last week. Each is excellent! :king:

I had the Ginger-Encrusted Rib Eye at Kona and the Braised Lamb Shank at The Wave... Both were exquisite, but if I were forced to choose, The Wave edged Kona by a hair. That shank was the best, most succulent meat I have had the pleasure of eating anywhere, WDW or not. Fall-off-the-bone, moist and melt-in-your mouth delicious. Morgan and I are not big eaters and always leave food on the plate, but despite its larger portion than most, we ate every morsel [he order the shank as well]. :slurp:

harveyt0206

I am thrilled to hear the positive experiences at the Wave. My mom and I are eating there for the first time during out February "girls only" trip. Now, I can't wait. :sohappy:

wdwmomof3

We have reservations for both in three weeks so I'm glad to hear positive reviews! We've never done Kona except for breakfast so I'm really excited!!:sohappy:

You will LOVE Kona Cafe for dinner. I am seriously considering two nights there on our next trip. We were there for 9 nights last Sept and Kona was the very best meal that we had all week. I have not tried the Wave, but I am about to go look at their menu. It sounds great too. :)

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
One of my favorite things about The Wave is the quiet dining room. It's very relaxing, and has a very "adult" feel to it. It's a great place to go inf you want to dine away from kids. At Kona, you're eating in the open lobby.

As for food, I enjoy the food at both a great deal, but The Waves edges out Kona for me.

sschroed

My family and I have dines at both locations numerous times. The Wave is Disney’s weakest link. Excellent quality, good service, peaceful but the portions are small and very expensive. Kona affords more food but noisy and crowded. If your husband likes a great portion – Shula’s Steak House.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
One of my favorite things about The Wave is the quiet dining room. It's very relaxing, and has a very "adult" feel to it. It's a great place to go inf you want to dine away from kids. At Kona, you're eating in the open lobby.

As for food, I enjoy the food at both a great deal, but The Waves edges out Kona for me.
So, quesiton about this. My family has ADR for Dinner at The Wave in December, and are super excited about it. We have a young child (will not yet be 3). I've never seen a WDW restaurant "shun" those with children, but is this on the more kid-unfriendly places we could choose?

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
So, quesiton about this. My family has ADR for Dinner at The Wave in December, and are super excited about it. We have a young child (will not yet be 3). I've never seen a WDW restaurant "shun" those with children, but is this on the more kid-unfriendly places we could choose?
Not at all! It is fine for families. There may not be much to distract them, but if your child is fine in a 'fancy' restaurant at home, they'll be fine at The Wave.

The restaurant certainly won't shun, whether other guests are tolerant or not is dependant on the other guests. :shrug:

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
Not at all! It is fine for families. There may not be much to distract them, but if your child is fine in a 'fancy' restaurant at home, they'll be fine at The Wave.

The restaurant certainly won't shun, whether other guests are tolerant or not is dependant on the other guests. :shrug:
That is good to hear. I think my DD will be fine. As most parents can (if they try), we'll be able to find ways to keep her occupied that are unobtrusive to other guests.
Thanks!

bamillerpa

I firmly believe that if you are at Disney you need to expect kids. Unless you are eating at one of the two credit dining spots where you might expect a little bit more you need to adjust to having kids around you.

That being said, nothing annoys me more than parents that let their kids run wild all over a restaurant just because THEY need a break. I have no problems with kids being kids but I do have a problem with parents not being parents.

So, I think that you can't get upset over seeing kids at just about every restaurant in Disney but as parents, you should be responsible for them.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
I firmly believe that if you are at Disney you need to expect kids. Unless you are eating at one of the two credit dining spots where you might expect a little bit more you need to adjust to having kids around you.

That being said, nothing annoys me more than parents that let their kids run wild all over a restaurant just because THEY need a break. I have no problems with kids being kids but I do have a problem with parents not being parents.

So, I think that you can't get upset over seeing kids at just about every restaurant in Disney but as parents, you should be responsible for them.
I totally agree! It's why one of my main goals as a parent now is to make sure my kid is not ruining anyone else's enjoyment. It was a pet peeve of mine prior to becoming a parent, so it's something I make sure to do. I just wish more people would do the same. I've noticed that for the most part, the "nicer" places at WDW typically have better behaved kids (meaning, more conscientious parents). Of course, there are always exceptions to the rule, but it has seemed like that to me for the most part.

bamillerpa

I've always taken my kids to all types of restaurants with me with no problems. They stay in their seat, are polite, and don't disturb the other guests. I'm proud of the way they act. Even as toddlers we had very few problems and if one did arise one of us took them out of the restaurant until they could calm down and behave. I can tell you that I can count on one hand how many times I have ever had to do this but this was also the same type of behavior that was expected of them at home too. On the other hand, I have a friend that doesn't see anything wrong with letting her kids run around and screaming. She thinks that because they are kids they should have a childhood and be allowed to do what they want. I refuse to go anywhere with her anymore because it's embaressing to me when a 7 year old screams and throws things and a 12 year old throwing a temper tantrum. My kids are even embaressed by them. Kids know what you expect of them and will act accordingly

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom