Killer Strollers

Scooter

Original Poster
OK Ladies...explain this to me..I'm a MAN so I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer.:hammer:

Whats happening to STROLLERS?:veryconfu

They used to be these cute little frilly and lace buggys that were just big enough to hold a baby. I remember bending down to peek in at the little ones as these adorable little strollers went by.:)

Now these things look as though they are built for speed and battle!:eek:

They have DUAL wheels in the front....heavy duty shocks and have more covering than a screened in PORCH!

They are wide bodied little mini cars with more storage space than my Jeep Grand Cherokee.!!!:D

I remember when ladies with little baby strollers said "Excuse Me" when they wanted to get around you. Now I run and hide or duck for cover when I see one coming at me. Especially inside where there is no way to get around them.

I have had my shins bitten more than once by these New fangled,
ankle biting, child bearing death vehicles.:lookaroun

I'm thinking Disney and and other Theme Parks should put special lanes inside and outside for these Killer Totmobiles> Maybe add some flashing lights and horns for warnings and safety purposes. :(

Whats next for these things? Refridgerators, roll bars, and windshilds with wipers?

I'm just teasing ladies so please don't get defensive...but I AM curious about what Strollers will look like in the future. I MAY need to purchase additional Life Insurance if they get any bigger.:lol:

Debbie

I refer to those strollers as the Cadillacs of strollers. As nice and convenient they may seem to some moms; I found them a pain in the *ss. They are a pain to try to fold and carry on the buses at WDW. My husband would have to pack that thing up and I would have to carry baby, diaper bag, camera bag, and try to keep a grasp on my three year olds' hand. The only thing nice was that both boys could ride in it with the seat laid out. We also brought a cheap umbrella stoller; no frills. That was the simplest thing for us to handle. As far as being run into; can't say I am guilty of running into a person; I was never in that much of a hurry.

Maria

I loved your post! :lol:
We keep wondering and talk about the same with my friends who have kids when they were looking at strollers to buy. They were huge, sophisticated and expensive! ;)

mej

With your first baby you look for the stroller with "all the works". By the time the next one arrives you know what is important - swivel wheels,light,a recline and washable!!

Tigggrl

:lol: I loved this post! I have to agree about the extra life insurance! I remember when people would apologize for bumping into you, or if their kids were being obnoxious...nowadays I see it actually encouraged!:( I was almost kicked in the head while I was sitting waiting for Spectro one night, and the parents just watched! Geeze! Now, there are some kind folks who are polite while drving those things, but then there are the ones who feel that they have the right of way too...and dont care. Maybe driving and courtesy lessons should be required before purchase!

Tramp

....Generally speaking, strollers are an irritating necessity and I usually cut some slack for people with them but I think those ECVs are a HUGE nuisance and people who use wheelchairs as strollers for their older kids....and it infuriates me to see healthy people riding in a wheelchair and then using the handicapped entrance to bypass the lines....Disney needs to put an end to this quickly before I get thrown out of the park for creating a disturbance when I see this.
I don't ever want to see my kid in a wheelchair for ANY reason.

...in fairness, the problem didn't seem to be as big last year as in previous years when it was out of control.... we were told by visitors from Puerto Rico that the Puerto Rican travel agents encourage their clients to rent a wheelchair for their kids so they can use the handicapped entrance ....and, sure enuf, the majority of the abusers seem to be of Puerto Rican descent.

...Please ....stop this practice...require the handicapped person be seen BEFORE renting the wheelchair and put some limits on the number of people who can enter with the handicapped person cuz i don't think everyone is visiting with 15 family members who accompany the wheelchair into the attraction.

Goofette

When my daughter was little I loved my stroller. It was so hard trying to carry everything I needed for the day (diaper bag with all necessities, camera bag, and everything else). I just remember going places with ease, then all of a sudden having to travel with 10 million items. And I guarantee, if I ever forgot something that is the item I needed the most. We ended up getting a stroller so I could shove camera bag, and diaper bag underneath (thank goodness). I refused to stay at home until she got older. I have never been to WDW since I had her, and I might come back after my vacation cursing strollers also, but for me the stroller was heaven. I think the people who are rude will be rude with or without the stroller. I've had people shoving me to get into a show and stepping on the back of my shoes, having my shoes ripped off before :fork: that is so frustrating.

Tramp, I agree with you about the wheel chair. I can't stand to see anyone take advantage like that. I would be terrified to do that because I would worry that maybe God would decide one day that if I wanted my child to ride in a wheel chair so bad, he might grant that. That's just my opionion. I do realize that all illnesses (like chemotherapy or muscle diseases) can't always be seen. I just wish people could be considerate of others and not take advantage of something that was put into use for a very good reason.

OldKeyWest24

those strollers are great for home, but umbrella strollers are the way to go in WDW. I mean riding the bus wit those things...omg they take up seats and when its crowded its a pain in the butt. And than in fantasyland..omg watch out! u might get runova! My sister neva calls it fantasyland though, she calls it strollerland! trying to get across the "street" is like being stuck in a game of Frogger! i think they should be banned or sumthing, im sorry!

Susan

OldKeyWest24

This post should be called "things that scream benny"

my list is as follows-

-Socks and Sandles
-matching family shirts
-big bulky strollers
-2 way radios (no wats funny bout these..when they use code names..omg i saw a husband and wife using codenames they were hunny poohbear and funny figment..wow..thats scary!)

Susan

Goofette

I'm sure Disney has strollers to rent. I wonder what they are like? The umbrella stroller I had didn't have any room underneath for anything so I ended up lugging the huge diaper bag with me everywhere I went.....and usually it was me (the mom) who had to mess with it all :cry:

Just curious, are the people who hate the strollers or highly annoyed with them, are you single or parents with children? Just wondering.:)

Tigggrl

Hi Goofette!
I am a single, but taken person with no kids, but I have been to WDW more times than I can count with neices and nephews and other small chldren. I do not have a problem with strollers..I have a problem with some of the people who drive them. The parents of the kids I went with, had those children under control as well and they never EVER got out of hand like I see some of the kids at the parks! Strollers can be a huge help, and especially when the kids get tired, or you need them in one spot for the parade...I have shared my parade spaces with lots of kids, and this last time it was with a really nice family from the UK...the parents seemed to enjoy it more than the kids did! LOL These kids were great, and sooo well behaved! I get more oy from seeing the look on kids faces when they see a larger than life parade, and how they interact with the characters...I just dislke the pushy parents...what are the kids earning from this behavior???
P.S. If you have ever waited in line for a store to open for the years hottest toy...you see parents completely lose their manners...and their minds!

Tigggrl

Oh Yeah! And one more thing....
I had 6 of the Disney World Exclusive character dolls, the ones released in 1994...the ones with the GOOD faces..(not barbie faces) I attempted to sell them in a garage sale, as I am moving, and needed to scale down what I have. They didnt sell, so I gave them to 3 families...6 girls...and I recieved a thank you card from only 1 family.....:(

Strawberryblond

Tramp, reading your comments on wheel chair use and 15 family members. There will be 11 people total in our group next March and my Mom will be in a chair (unless I spring for a cart). I'm already stressing about how we will go about it. WE will move about as slow as a herd of turtles. My mom has a card that says she is dissabled, perhaps that should be required?

MrPromey

Originally posted by Goofette
I'm sure Disney has strollers to rent. I wonder what they are like? The umbrella stroller I had didn't have any room underneath for anything so I ended up lugging the huge diaper bag with me everywhere I went.....and usually it was me (the mom) who had to mess with it all :cry:

Just curious, are the people who hate the strollers or highly annoyed with them, are you single or parents with children? Just wondering.:)

I think people with strollers are like people with SUVs… They could be the nicest person in the world but as soon as most of them get inside/behind one, they turn into a$$holes… I don’t know what it is about the SUVs, maybe it’s the feeling of power from being elevated or the fact that they know that if that Miata doesn’t let them in, someone will be picking it out of the grill work of their SUV… In any event, the same thing seems to be happening with these strollers. As someone else said, there was a time when people used to apologize for running into the back of your ankles with one. I’ve been in the parks many, many times and had people do it to me more than once and look right at me when I turn around like I’m the jerk for not getting out of their way. This is in a normal time of day when there is space to both sides, too. Don’t even get me started on park closings. They park the crowds with them by plowing through people… I swear, sometimes I want to turn around and shove the thing back at them. The only reason I don’t is because I know there is a poor helpless kid stuck in the middle… I’m not saying that everyone does this and if you are a courteous stroller person, I’m not talking about you at all in this post… One thing I wonder about is the people that talk about using it to hold the diaper bag and the camera bag and the merchandise and whatever else. Since when did a stroller begin acting like a cart? I get the diaper thing but there are plenty of people without young ones who have to carry their essentials themselves so I don’t exactly feel a lot of sympathy for someone who says they don’t like the smaller strollers because they can’t pack all this stuff into them. Sorry but it’s just MHO :)

Debbie

All I know is that I am so glad to bid rid of the stroller days. :sohappy:
As far as the wheelchair; when we go this December, my mother-in-law will have to rent one of the electric ones as her circulation has been affected by her diabetes, and half of her heart doesn't work as a result of a viral attack. She looks perfectly healthy sitting in the chair and she can stand in line for short periods but for the long haul, she can't go all day walking. I have heard folks making comments about how nothing "looks" wrong with her, but trust me, plenty is wrong. My husband and I are taking her and my father-in-law as they are 70 and 78, and we figure while they are still getting around, they should enjoy what they love. and she LOVES WDW! I do want to mention that several times, we all went to stand in line in attractions and the castmember waved us to go to the wheelchair entrance.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom