K&K Sept 8-18 Trip Report

Well been back a few weeks now from our great trip. I must admit this will end up being longer than I thought. For those of you that don't like the detailed trip reports, you might want to skip this one.

After reading various trip reports over the past year since my last trip, I decided that I would keep a daily journal of what we did. I tend to forget everything once I get home.

I started this report on a trip out of town today and found that after just 2 days I already had 7 pages. The notes have helped me relive the vacation and remember why I enjoy Disney so much.

I will post each day in a new note. I only have a few days so far. I don't have pictures, because I have no idea how to include them in a note. We did take about 500 pictures on this trip.

Thanks for reading!

KnK

Original Poster
Prologue

We always seem to start planning our next vacation while we are on vacation. Each year before we leave we say to ourselves that this will be the last year and next year we will either try something new or spend the money on things around the house, but we always end up planning the next trip before we leave. My husband’s first trip was 9 years ago (DH is 44; I am 40) and he fell in love with the World! Growing up in St Louis his only idea of a theme park was Six Flags. At the end of last year’s trip he asked if we come at least one more year because he wanted to make it 10 years in a row. Who am I to say no?

I wanted to make this a special trip for him. In the past, we had always split our time between one of the values hotels and then switching to the Wilderness Lodge. This year I was going to try and save enough to stay all 10 nights at WL. I also had high hopes of saving enough for concierge floor. I am a passholder and waited patiently for rates to come out for our September trip. We bypass free dining because most of our meals tend to be sit down and we have the Disney Dining Experience card. I have done the math in the past and find it cheaper to use the passholder discount and DDE.

The time finally came when they announce the rates and I was unable to book WL. What a huge let down! After calling Disney Travel and getting nowhere, I contacted the folks at Kingdom Konsulants. They are great and I will never try and plan a trip on my own again. Elizabeth also confirmed that they did not have the discount at WL. She suggested Polynesian, but my husband only wanted WL. We have stayed in other deluxe hotels in the past and he just likes the Lodge more. My dreams of concierge disappear, but what the heck, I am still going to Disney.

Less than a week later Elizabeth lets me know that WL has passholder rooms and also I will be able to get concierge level room. I am beside myself with joy. Now I have to try and keep this a secret from my husband for the next couple of months! Harder said, than done.

I spend the next couple of weeks hoping my husband does not get the mail because I don’t want to ruin the surprise. The concierge folks at WL also contacted me about any of my needs. That was exciting as well.

I usually start packing for the trip about 2 weeks ahead of time. This time because of traveling for work I started the Monday before our departure. Not a good idea. I am a detailed person and hate to feel rushed.

I had only made priority seating reservation for one of our meals this trip and that was for California Grill. I find we end up canceling most of our ADR’s and even with free dining I was able to get same day or day before seating at all the restaurants we wanted throughout our 10 night stay.

KnK

Original Poster
Day 1 - Saturday, September 8

We have a 10:15 direct flight out of Louisville. We are lucky that we only live about a 5 minute drive to the airport. We get up around 6:00 am and try to get ourselves together. Or should I say I get up, DH sleeps until about 7:00 am. My folks are picking us up about 8:45 and I have only official closed one suitcase, 3 more to go plus a carry on. (Yes, this is a lot of luggage for 2 people but you have to have extra space for the stuff coming home.)

Folks arrive; I finally have all the bags together. I find out later that I have forget a few items, but it was not as bad as the time I forgot half my husband’s clothes and ended doing laundry during the vacation. Say good-bye to the 4 cats, tell them they are in good hands and get to be dog free for several days. Bags and dog in the car, we head off.

This is the first time the dog will be without us since we got him last September. (Guido is a hand-me-down Maltese that we got the week after our vacation last year.) He is confused because he does not get to with us and gives me the sad eyes. Grandma assures him he will have fun with her.

Here’s the thing. It takes me a little bit of time to get into vacation mode. I still am in the trying to get things done mode. All of the travel arrangements and planning is done by me. My DH is in full vacation mode at this point and giddy with excitement. I travel a lot for my job, so I am used to the whole airport thing and tend to think of it more as a task, then a fun thing. DH husband get’s us coffee’s and we wait for the plane.

We take off a little early and end up landing early….YEAH! Starting to feel a little more like vacation when I get on the ‘mini monorail’ to the terminal. This was our first time trying ME. We have one bag to pick up, stuff for the day. Then headed to the ME check in. I should have asked more questions about how this worked. I did not realize that there was a check in counter and then there would be another line we would get into for the bus. If we had know this, I would have gone and got in line to check in and DH would have gathered the bag. The initial line took about 15 minutes to get through, and there were only 4 other people in line for WL and Contemporary bus.

ME stopped at Polynesian and Grand Floridian first. The whole process from landing to checking in to the hotel took about 2 hours. The same as when we rent a car. Then we pass under the Wilderness Lodge arch way. Startin’ to get that feeling, that overwhelming feeling that you get when you first get to your hotel and realize you really are on Disney property and the vacation is really here. Pull up to the Lodge, I head to the check in while the DH starts the picture taking. I walk back over and tell him we have to wait for someone. He looks a little worried thinking there might be a problem. Then Daisy greets us to take us up to our room. This is when he realized what’s going on. Seeing the warning signs on his face (over excitement) I give him a little squeeze on the arm.

Daisy gives us a tour of the Old Faithful Club (OFC) and shows us to our room. We love the WL. One of favorite things is the pool; I have always enjoy looking out over the pool in the morning and watching the ducks. Sure enough, we have a view overlooking the stream leading to the pool, the pool, and also Bay Lake. Later that night we will find out that we can watch and hear the electric light water parade from our room! We also were greeted with a towel Mickey head and some towel animals in the bath room area. There is a canoe made out of chocolate, with three pieces of candy in it sitting on the table

Our first day is always a travel day only. We have learned from past trips that if we try to do too much too fast, we end up wearing ourselves out. Also, you’ll find out that we are not ‘commandos.’ We tend to be very leisurely on our vacations.

Grab a quick lunch at Roaring Forks. We share a chicken strip basket and a flat bread cheese pizza.

We then head to the pool. We love our daily pool time. The slide is so much fun. The skies start to look a little dark, but we don’t mind. After about 20 minutes, it starts to drizzle. Lots of people running from the pool, we just stay in. I am already wet from being in the pool, what’s a little rain. Then the gentle rain turns to a full, can’t see in front of you kind of rain. That’s when they close the pool. This should have been an early indication as to what the week would bring us!

By the time we get back to our room, a full thunder and lightning storm breaks out. It stops after an hour or two. It turned out to be a great night for the folks heading to Night of Joy.

Our luggage arrived in two waves. We got one piece about 3 hours from check in and the others about 1 hour later.

Decide to head to the Old Faithful Club (OFC) to check on the evening fixings. During the rain storm DH had got a table at Kona Café at 8:10 pm. We thought we might have a quick snack. Each evening they have a cheese tray, vegetable tray, crackers, and bread with some sort of dipping sauce. They also have rotating hot items, soup and something else. Tonight they had tomato-basil soup and pork tenderloin with pasta.

Grab a plate & a glass of wine and find a secluded spot overlooking the lobby. We found a great spot (that became our spot as the week went on) with a comfy couch and a great wood table. That’s when it hits me. I am tired, more like exhausted. I had only had about 8 hours sleep over the past couple of nights. Both of decided that we did not think we would be able to make it another couple of hours until our dinner reservation. The food at OFC had filled us up. Grab another glass of wine and head to the room.

One of the many great things about concierge was turn down service. They turn down the bed for sleep time and place chocolates with the castle or the lodge on them; also, a card with a Native American saying on it. We looked forward to these on each of our nights during our stay.

I realized that one of the items that I forgot was toothpaste, so we head to the gift shop to pick some up. Also did a little browsing!

Ashamed to say this, put ended up watching part of High School Musical II on the Disney channel. (I am a musical fan, mostly the old stuff.) End up falling asleep about one hour into it. Husband did get himself a little dessert at the OFC.

Only bad note of the first day and night, the couple next to us got into a huge fight about 9:30 that night. They did a lot of cursing and we could hear everything through the walls. DH was going to call someone but it only lasted about 15 minutes. That is until 2:45 am rolled around. They started up again, this time louder than the first time. We were glad when they checked out on Sunday.

We went to bed with no real game plan for the next day.

KnK

Original Poster
Day 2 - Sunday, September 9

Got up bright eyed and bushy tailed at 7:00 am. Grab a quick breakfast at the OFC. They had these great pastries each morning. The fillings were either apple or raspberry. Also, fresh fruit, cereal, bagels, and yogurt. Another great thing, a cappuccino maker. Enjoy a vanilla latte each morning.

Like most days, I am up and about and the husband is slow to go. Decide to head to Epcot today. Head out to the bus stop and the bus pulls up right away. We make a quick stop at Fort Wilderness and get to Epcot in about 20 minutes total. I know that folks complain about transportation issues. We don’t mind the bus or boat rides. We just think of them as another Disney ride. The only time we shared a bus with another resort was when we went to Epcot. All other buses took us directly to the parks.

We got to Epcot about 10:20. It was strange seeing the wand missing. I had no real opinion either way regarding the wand. I was great seeing the sphere in all its natural glory, but part of me missed it.

Get out picture taken by PhotoPass CM’s. We really enjoyed out CD from last year. We then visit our two Leave a Legacy tiles. We got one the first year they were offered and one about 5 years later. We enjoy looking at them each year. (yes…..I know there are many of you that hate them and it distractions from the beauty of Epcot)

We briefly mourn that Space Ship Earth is not open. Disappointed that it will be two years before we get to enjoy the new version, since we won’t be back until 9/09. We know that it will be new and improved and something to look forward to.

We walk over to the land and get a FP for Soarin. Not sure why, the wait time if only 20 minutes. FP was for about 30 minutes later. Head over to Living with the Land. This was closed on our last visit for the conversion to no tour guide. We enjoyed it, no opinion regarding which is better. Then went to Circle of Life. This was a first for both of us. I could not get over how big the theater was. We enjoyed the film.

Head over to Soarin, still only a 20 minute wait. We get the front row. Still very impressed with this ride, I’ve never had a bad seat and I don’t really mind the feet. I don’t even notice them after awhile.

Walk over to the Seas with Nemo. This is another first for us; it was closed last year for the remodel. The seagulls were fun to watch. I had heard that they did not always work properly, but they seem to be working fine. Mouths moving and talking, ‘Mine..Mine….Mine.’ Still makes me smile thinking about them. [My parents had seen the movie before us, and took great pleasure at saying ‘Mine…Mine….Mine’ and every family gathering, without telling us why. Now it’s just a nice family joke.] The queue is great for this ride. We especially like the bottom of the boat. We thought the underwater effects worked well. The clam mobiles were great as well. The jelly fish effect was great. Glad they put the ride system back to a good use.

We then headed to watch them feeding the fish and manatees. DH got his picture taken with Bruce and friends. Turtle Talk with Crush was a lot of fun. Favorite part was when Crush asked this kid what he liked to eat. The kid responded with ‘Hotdogs…….but I have also eaten turtle before.’ The look on Crush’s face was priceless…..and a minute of silence, Crush casually says ‘Security.’ I really came to appreciate the technology that makes this work. Crush had the perfect facial reactions and response for the situation.

It’s now about 1:00 pm and we decide to get a little something to eat. Head over to Rose n Crown to see if we can get a table. On the way over, we notice them getting ready for the astronauts visit on Monday. They had a model of the space shuttle up behind the Fountain View building. Walk up to RnC, only a 15 minute wait and we got a table outside. Share fish and chips platter and cheese plate. Also, each indulge with a pint of hard cider. Always look forward to my first cider of the trip.

Pool time is calling us. Do a little shopping on the walk back to the bus stop. Bus pulls up just has we get there. We end up having really good timing for most of this trip with regards to transportation.

Get to room about 3:30 and at the pool by 4:00 pm. Once again, we have only been there about 20 minutes and they start to pull out the items to close the pool. Decide we don’t want another day like yesterday. Nothing worse than having to go through a cold lobby and elevator with wet clothes and body! Of course, we end up leaving and they never closed the pool!

Relaxed in the room, or should I say napped. We only woke up because the mousekeeping wanting to do turn down service. Feeling refreshed, we decide to head to MK for extra magic hours. Get to park about 6:00 pm and get wrist bands.

There is something about walking into the Magic Kingdom for the first time during your vacation. It has its own smells and sounds that just make you realize you are in a magical place. They already have a lot of Halloween decorations up. Start to feel our excitement grow about the Halloween party.

Walked over to Frontierland. Notice the Tiki Room show is about to begin so decide to watch. We had not gone in a few years; still find it an enjoyable show, it was a childhood favorite at Disneyland. Afterward we head over to Pirates, only a 5 minute wait. The Davy Jones effect still gets me. I always want to reach up and touch it. Walk over towards Splash Mountain, there is a 25 minute wait, decide to try Thunder Mountain instead, only a 10 minute wait. Thunder Mountain wins. This ride is a lot of fun as it starts to get dark.

Walk towards Cosmic Rays for a quick dinner. Pass by Haunted Mansion and remind ourselves that in a few days it will be new and improved. Share a burger and fries from Comics Rays, then head over to Main Street to view Wishes. We watched one of the best Tinkerbell’s that we have seen in awhile. She was just very animated. Wishes was great as usual.

After Wishes, we walked over to Jungle Cruise, no wait. I really enjoy this ride at night, and we had a great captain. He was really into his job, this makes all the difference for this ride. Walk over to Splash Mountain, only 5 minute wait. We get a boat almost to ourselves, only one other couple. She put us in the front row……we got very wet! It was a hot night so it felt good.

It’s 10:00 pm and realize that we are tired and apparently old because we all we can think of is bed time. We browse the stores on Main Street on our way back. One of our quests for the trip is to buy the dog a Mickey dog tag. Ask around and everyone indicates that we can get one at the Engine House. Walk over and they are closed for the night. No problem, only day one of the vacation, plenty of time to purchase one.

Get to the room about 11:00 and drift off to sleep.

My favorite event of the day is something my DH says. We are in a shop at Epcot and he decides he has to have this mini Mickey head ball. I ask ‘What is it for?’ His response, ‘I don’t have a use for it, I just want it.’

pinkrose

Sounds like the first couple of days were great! I can't wait to read more!

I'm so sorry that you had ME problems. :(

KnK

Original Poster
Sounds like the first couple of days were great! I can't wait to read more!

I'm so sorry that you had ME problems. :(

I would not say we had problems, I just did not understand how it works. We plan on using it again. Nicer than having to rent a car!

The whole trip was great!

H20Babie

I'm really enjoying your report so far! How was Guido when you got home? I just got a Maltese/Bichon puppy last May, and he'll be in a kennel next March when I go. Finnegan is so adorable and those sad eyes get to me everytime!

KnK

Original Poster
Great start to your trip - awaiting the updates

Thanks. Sitting in an airport now working on more.

Thanks for the updates, looking foward to the rest of them. :)

Hopefully on Monday!

I'm really enjoying your report so far! How was Guido when you got home? I just got a Maltese/Bichon puppy last May, and he'll be in a kennel next March when I go. Finnegan is so adorable and those sad eyes get to me everytime!

FAT!!!!! Grandma gave him way to many treats! We went to Ft Myers FL last November to my folks condo and he got to go on that plane ride. We was beside himself when he saw us at the airport. I would say he is the most spoiled of the group of pets!

KnK

Original Poster
Day 3 - Monday, September 10

Same morning routine as yesterday. The game plan for the day is MGM aka DHS. Hop on the bus and walk into park about 10:00 am. This is one of our favorite parks. We like the themeing at this park. I love old musicals (well any musical really) and this park reminds me of being in one as I am walking down the main drag. The music and characters just make it come alive for me. I am not a big fan of the hat. I enjoyed seeing the Chinese Theater as the focal point of the park. The hat just does not do it for me.

I am disappointed to learn that there will be no High School Musical show during my visits. They are preparing for HSM2. I know, I know. It’s a cheesy show, but I really do enjoy musicals.

We start to head towards Tower of Terror, but neither of us can bring ourselves to go down that stretch because of we don’t need the disappointment of not being able to ride Rock n Roll Coaster. Instead, we ride Great Movie Ride. We actually had to wait about 20 minutes to board, first time since the park opened years ago that I have waited that long. We got seated in the second row of the first car. Come to find out the closer to the front you sit, the more fun this ride can be. We had the gangster scene, the gangster was great, and we enjoyed lots of personal interaction with him during the ride. I know folks think this ride needs an overhaul; it still is one of my favorites and I look forward to it every trip.

Walk through Streets of America. One of the downsides to coming in September is that they are always working on this section to get ready for the Osborne Light Show. Not since my first trip to this park the year they opened, have I experienced this section without construction going on. We like taking fun pictures on SA. The sounds as you walk through are great as well. You never know what you will hear.

Watch the preshow for Muppets and also the movie. 3D plus movies are done well at Disney. I would like to see this movie updated, just as long as they keep the Swedish Chef. Do a little shopping at the Christmas shop. Go looking for the ‘Do not pull rope’ sign. Read about this on the site and looked forward to finding it. We enjoy the expression on a couple of kids faces when they kept thinking something would come up.

DH declares he is hungry and wants to eat in Germany. Yes, I know we have only really done two things at the park, but like I mentioned earlier, we are not commandos. We enjoy the ambiance of Disney as much as the attractions themselves.

Walk out of MGM and decide to catch the boat to Germany. Boat is waiting for us when we get there. Make quick stops at Swan/Dolphin, Beach Club, and Boardwalk. As we get off the boat we happen to notice the skies are getting cloudy.

Got to Germany about 1:30, ask for a table, no problem, waited a whole 3 minutes. The show had been on about 15 minutes when we get to our table. For those who might have not been to this restaurant, it has family seating. If you are a small party, you will be seated with other people. We are used to it, and have always had fairly good luck with our seat mates in the past. We are the first to be seated, 3 other sets couples get seated after us. The two in the middle end up sitting next to their partner, thus facing another couple. We always like to face each other. I had hear so negative comments as of lately about this restaurant, but we still had a good meal. The two middle couple chatted the whole time. My husband did make a little small talk with them, but he happens to be the outgoing one of the two of us. We start to feel very old when they talk about this is their first visit being of legal age. All have fabulous jobs as well. Exchange jet setter stories. All we really have is Disney stories!

Do a little shopping as we head back to the hotel for pool time. We are both disappointed to find out that Germany is no longer selling either of our favorite candy this year. DH liked the Raspberry ones, and I liked the fruit patch one. Oh well. My belly and hips did not really need it any way. Spend way too much time watching the trains. We both get very fascinated by the model train set up. I think we just like miniature stuff.

Spend some time in the shop at Japan. We always manage to spend money here every year. Bought cat food plates for the kitties at home this time. Have them shipped off to the room. No need to lug them through the park! As we walk out of the store the skies open up. A heavy, hard rain. Get the rain gear out and continue walking toward the front.

It’s funny how people scatter during a rain storm. You see all these people huddled up together under anything they can find. We were like that once. Used the same ponchos for about 4 years in a row. Then we invested in some nice rain jackets and my DH crafted some rain shorts for us. How sad is it that the main reason we purchased the coats was for our year Disney vacations. We do use them at home as well, but it’s not the main reason we own them.

The rain stops just as we head out of the park. Walk towards the bus stop, and sure enough, up comes a bus. Get back to the room and we have a new set of towel animals. They are lying on the bed with the remote watching the Disney cartoon channel, with a note that says ‘Missed you. Hope you had a Magical Day!’ Always nice to have new friends.

Put our swim suits on and head toward the pool. Skies don’t look agreeable, but it’s been hot and we want to cool down. Rains a little bit while we are in the pool. The big cold drops. They never close the pool and it becomes is almost empty by the time the rain stops. Took a dip in the hot tub to warm up. Yes, I know this makes no sense since the reason we got in was to cool off.

Head back to the room about 6:00 pm or so. We had no real plans tonight. We hope to get to bed early because we want to head to AK by 8:00 am. My husband is not a morning person and I do have a few concerns! Snack option at OFC is chicken and potatoes and chicken soup. Grab a couple glasses of wine and head back to the room. We are not hungry at this point because of our late lunch, later we will share a chicken strip meal from RF and get ice cream. Watch the weather channel and note that the rain chances are only about 30%, we like those odds. Turn out the lights by about 10:00 pm.

smk

I am hanging on every word!! I enjoy trip report reading ALMOST as much as being there myself. I'll be there soon!

KnK

Original Poster
Day 4 – Tuesday, September 11

Get the husband up and going, plus fed, and out the door by 8:00 am. This is real accomplishment in my head. Will be the only day of the vacation I am able to make this happen. Get to AK about 8:30, gates open at 8:45. We walk to the staging area outside It’s a Bug’s Life. This is the first time that we have been to a park opening. After reading about them from everyone else on the boards, I am looking forward to actually getting to see one. We both enjoy it and my husband is glad he made the extra effort!

Decide to head over to EE and get a couple of FP. On the way over we stopped at the Spider monkey exhibit. What a delightful stop. They are in play mode and screaming at the top of their lungs. It seemed as if they were responding to something that was being piped in. They appeared to be having a ball. It was a nice distraction from all the really rude people trying to run over each other to get to EE.

We got to EE, it was walk on. Walked right through the line, no stopping and got in the first car. There was a father and son in front of us and the kid was really excited about getting to sit in the very first seat. He also was a little scared as well. It was nice to watch the bonding. Only thing that did work was when you come to the stop, before you ride backwards, the bird that flies over did not happen. We really enjoy this ride and queue is great as well.

The main reason we are at AK today is to participate in a special safari experience offered to people staying on a concierge floor. This was worth every penny we paid for it! We meet our guides outside the shop across from Tusker House. They allow up to 15 people during each excursion and it is offered a couple times a week, twice a day. There are only 6 people including ourselves for this trip. The others participating are a lovely family of 4 from Massachusetts. Our personal guide was Susan, and I don’t remember the driver’s name. They were both very knowledgeable and very friendly.

They take you through a cast member only section and you load a specially designed truck. They tell us when we are able to take pictures, because we are not allowed to film anything ‘behind the magic.’ We are taking the same route as the rest of the folks on Kilimanjaro Safari, but we get to stop at special spots and park. The first spot is in the middle of the savannah area. We pulled up right next to a baby giraffe and its mom. We find out the baby giraffe is very curious and likes to walk up to the trucks. He came right up within about 1 foot of the truck, and mom followed along. Then not to be left out, the dad giraffe came from across the savannah to see what was so interesting. We got pictures of the whole family less than a foot from us! Then this heard of yak (can’t remember execatly) made their way over to us. All these animals just at our beckon call. Both of the guides were very surprised by our luck. The driver said he has been doing this for years and he could not get over it.

We then headed over to a small sections were the rhino’s are. If you had been on the regular ride you would not have been able to see them. They were hiding behind this huge dune. We learned how one of the rhino’s was suffering for new sibling issues. Just like every other child, new baby gets all the attention, oldest pouts. We did get delayed by an ostrich that thought we were in the way of its nap time.

Just by a stroke of luck, we got to stop right in front of the leopard section. One of the other vehicles was waiting to have an animal shooed and we got to have an unscripted special stop. We could see all 4 leopards enjoying a break from the heat.

It was fascinating to learn all the different things that go on at the park. Getting to ask all the questions you want and having an expert explain things. We also got to touch elephant tail hair. WOW not at all what I expected. It was like a piece of wire.

We got out of the safari about 11:15. We decided to rush across the park to see Finding Nemo Musical. Lucky us, it’s running about 15 minutes behind so we are able to attend the show. Another WOW! I took the advice from folks on the site that said that the further back you sit the better the show. I like the fact that Disney is doing more full scale musicals. The gentleman that played Crush knew how to belt out a song!

After Nemo, we went to enjoy a little lunch. Husband picked up a turkey leg to share and I got us some fries and onion rings from Flame Tree Barbeque. My husband has this wonderful ability to clean the meat of the bone. I just get to enjoy the great food!

Do a little shopping, then walk over to see It’s a Bugs Life. The queue line is so long. I always forget that. There was no one in line, but it just feels like you keep walking and walking! Another great 3D plus movie.

It’s been a hot day at AK and we decide to head back to the lodge for some pool time. One of the best pool days of the week. Our normal routine is 20 minutes in, 20 minutes out. I would stay in the whole time, put I hate getting to pruny! We get to spend 3 glorious hours at the pool, not a cloud in the sky (yet that it is.) We also get to go down the slide numerous times in a row!

Head back to the room to get ready for our dinner at Narcoossee’s. While I am getting ready, DH checks out the food offerings at OFC and brings me back a glass of wine. The offering was Tomato Basil soup and Beef stroganoff. The beef was very tasty.

Stroll to the dock to catch the boat to Contemporary, notice that an electrical storm is brewing in the horizon. Decide to take the larger boat to the MK and transfer to the monorail from there. Get to MK walk from the boat dock to the monorail station, and the heavens open up just as we get under cover! YEAH! Everyone else is also training to avoid the storm and get back to their hotel as well. Only had to wait one round for a monorail, downside comes when we get to Contemporary. They decide to load 2 ECV’s in our car, which is already overcrowded with people. Made for a very cramped journey until they departed at Polynesian. One of the bad things about the Grand Floridian, is that you need to go outside to get to Narcossee’s. Husband and I put the rain coats on and make the short trek to the restaurant. All in all, it only took us 1 hour and 15 minutes to make the journey!

Clean ourselves up and sit down at the bar to wait for our table. Enjoy chatting with Charlie our bartender and a nice couple from The Woodland TX. Get our table in about 30 minutes and get seated at a window seat facing the Castle. Out reservation was for 8:30 , so we got to enjoy watching Wishes from our seats; it was a nice ending to a great day. For dinner, DH had the chowder and chef special, which was pork chops. I had the heirloom tomato salad with basil mouse (the chef came by the table to give me the recipe) and lobster. My husband enjoyed half my lobster as well. It was one of the best meals I had the entire visit. Also had some of the best gratin potatoes. We did not leave any room for dessert! Barely made the last monorail back to the Contemporary, and catch the boat back to the Lodge. We ended up riding back with two couple from Kentucky. We just about the upcoming game on Saturday (UK vs UL.)

All in all, was one of best days on vacation, even despite the weather issues!

Goofyque'

Clean ourselves up and sit down at the bar to wait for our table. Enjoy chatting with Charlie our bartender and a nice couple from The Woodland TX. Get our table in about 30 minutes and get seated at a window seat facing the Castle. Out reservation was for 8:30 , so we got to enjoy watching Wishes from our seats; it was a nice ending to a great day. For dinner, DH had the chowder and chef special, which was pork chops. I had the heirloom tomato salad with basil mouse (the chef came by the table to give me the recipe) and lobster. My husband enjoyed half my lobster as well. It was one of the best meals I had the entire visit. Also had some of the best gratin potatoes. We did not leave any room for dessert! Barely made the last monorail back to the Contemporary, and catch the boat back to the Lodge. We ended up riding back with two couple from Kentucky. We just about the upcoming game on Saturday (UK vs UL.)

All in all, was one of best days on vacation, even despite the weather issues!

Enjoying your trip report so much!!! Would love to have the recipe for the basil mousse! (We have an herb farm, and I love getting the Disney recipes when I am there!)

Look forward to hearing more!

KnK

Original Poster
Easy......Infuse cream with basil and pinch of salt. Heat to just a simmer. Use blender (or emulsion blender) to blend. Let cool, then place in a whip it. A whip it is a automatic whip cream maker that you place a CO2 cartridge in. If you don't have one of these, you could just whip the cream like you would normally make whip cream. Then you could pipe it.

It will be a light green color. He just explaned how to make it. I was amazed, I had never tried a savory mouse before. Inspired me to try making a different savory mouse as well.

KnK

Original Poster
Day 5 – Wednesday, September 12

Up earlier then I would have expected. Had light breakfast and head over to Epcot. Arrive at the gate by 10:00 am. Walk over to Test Track, no wait. This is the first time, in several years, that everything worked during the ride!

Walk over to Mission Space so husband can ride. I rode this ride a few years ago and learned it’s not for me. The part that most folks complained about is the one section I loved. The first part of the ride was great, that feeling of weightless. It’s the second part that got me. I don’t do well with that type of ride. Also stay away from Star Tours because of this.

I do however, love playing the games in the waiting area. My favorite game is the group activity one. I don’t like being the ones at the top, but I like being the ones to give pieces. The current game was almost over and I stood in line waiting for the next game. They already have the 8 people ready to start. Just as they start to drop the rope……..along comes the DREAM TEAM! Each of us starting the next game got a YOMD lanyard. I was so excited. We had seen so many other folks with either lanyards or dream fastpasses and hoped we might get lucky. I did feel bad that my husband did not get one. As the game is about to begin, I notice my husband getting off the ride, I make big sweeping motions and loudly saying his name, trying to get his attention so he can come and play the game. One of the CM Captain’s notices and proceeds to come over to me, teases me a little, and then calls him through the microphone. Realize I have just embarrassed myself…….just a little! Surprised DH does not leave me out to dry. He knows how much I hate to bring attention to myself.

Next stop, a little Journey Around the World. We head towards Mexico to try out the new Gran Fiesta Tour. I enjoyed the new overlay. It was not too over the top, but I did miss the pool bar scene. I don’t know why, I just think that a swim-up pool bar would be fun. Next stop, Norway. Like Gran Fiesta, Maelstrom is a walk on. I have heard others complain about this ride, and how they think it has nothing to do with Norway, but we disagree. We think that it tells a lot about the culture and what they value. We also stay for the movie. I like the movie, but I think it has become very dated. I did learn something. When we were sitting and waiting for the movie, I sat and listened to the chatter coming from one of the buildings. The CM shared with me that it is a famous Norwegian children’s fairy tale being read.

This has our first time viewing the Tomb Warriors exhibit, in China. We found it very interesting and learned a few things. I tend to forget just how young the US is. We had planned to watch the movie since it had been a few years, but we decided to shop a little instead.

Head back to the lodge for lunch and pool time. Share a chicken strip platter for lunch. Get about 30 minutes of pool time, light rain but don’t close pool. Then the lightning starts…….close pool. Head to room, watch brief storm, pool opens with a half hour. Head back for another hour, before it is time to get ready for our dinner at Kona Café.

While I get ready, DH samples the food offerings at OFC. Tonight is clam chowder (very good) and chicken & pasta with red sauce. DH is kind enough to return with a glass of wine for his DW! Take the boat to Contemporary, and then catch Monorail to Polynesian. Rode the boat over to the Contemporary with a nice family from NC. It was most of the families’ first trip ever to the WDW. The DM had been once about 20 years ago when she was a teenager. They were headed to Chef Mickey for dinner. Starts to rain again during the trek. Wait about 15 minutes for a table.

This was our one and only bad meal experience of the trip. We had been here in the past for breakfast and enjoyed ourselves. After seeing the menu and hearing good comments from others we decided to try them for dinner. The place is very noisy, but it’s noisy for a variety of reasons. You’ve got the folks waiting for ‘Ohana’s, people coming and going from the monorail, and the bar. It did not help much that we were seated toward the back of the restaurant, by the back railing. At first it seems like a good spot, DH can see out the windows the monorail coming and going, but also, this is the service area for mousekeeping. So you keep seeing large garbage bins and other things go by right next to you. Not the sort of thing that you want to see while you are eating.

Service was very intermittent during the meal. The waitress did try to amend things towards the end of the meal. My DH had the Teriyaki steak and I had the macadamia Mahi Mahi. The meal was good, but not one of the best I have had. We were surprised when the entrees showed up because we had never gotten our appetizer (pot stickers.) When he did bring them out we indicated that we did not need them now. The waitress did come over to the table half way through our entrée’s and offered us a free dessert for the mix up. We told her thank you, but we would pass because we planned to go to Captain Cook’s for Dole Whip. She ended up having someone (later we found out the manager) go down and make us up bowls full. They ended up being the fanciest Dole Whips we have ever had. We are sure that everyone else in the room would be jealous of us, and that it spoiled us from the version we get at the park! The manager also came up an expressed her apologies.

All in all, it ended ok. Not sure we will visit again soon, but we always like to give places a second chance. Ended up catching the boat with the same family we rode over with earlier in the night. They had a great time and were looking forward to the rest of their stay. We ended up running into them several times at the Lodge over the course of their stay. It was great to see how much fun they were having.

Go to bed realizing that the vacation is half over and we have done nothing!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom