Trip Report Just got home! Trip report July 2014

We've just got home from an 11 day stay in Florida. We didn't stay on site this time. We weren't planning to go this year, but we saw a package holiday for a good price a few weeks ago, and convinced ourselves to go! We didn't tell our teenage daughters, as we were hoping to surprise them, so we said we were going somewhere closer to home, and surprised them at the airport! I'm just sorting out the photos, then I'll start the report properly.

minnie2000

Original Poster
OK, I still haven't sorted out my photos, but I am working on it.

The people on this trip are DH, two DDs age 17 and 13 and me. We told the girls that we were going to Portugal, and they were really looking forward to going away. It was difficult to hide - I had to get dollars instead of euros, and international travel plugs instead of continental travel plugs, and hope that they didn't see them. We managed to keep it quiet, we didn't even tell friends or family, apart from my parents, so everyone else thought that we were going to Portugal.

We drove to Manchester the night before we flew, which was about a four hour drive. We stayed in an airport hotel and went out for a lovely meal. I didn't really sleep very well that night, I think I was worried about not waking up on time! The hotel room and bed were fine, it was just me.

We got to the airport at about 6.30 in the morning, so the girls were quite tired. We asked them to check the departures board and told them the flight number. They both said that we must have the wrong number because the number I gave them was going to Orlando. I could see DD13 slowly realising that something was going on, but it took DD17 longer. She told us later that she was wondering if the plane was going first to Portugal and then to Orlando, but it didn't make sense because they were in opposite directions! Then she saw us smiling, and we told them that we were going to Florida! They were thrilled! I will find the photos and upload them.

minnie2000

Original Poster
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

minnie2000

Original Poster
We had a good flight to Orlando, got off the plane and were lucky enough to go through immigration quite quickly. We picked up our car, and drove to the Vistana Villages Resort. We checked in to our lovely 2 bedroom apartment. Although we love staying in Disney hotels, we were trying to have a more economical holiday this time, and it was very nice to have two bedrooms and two bathrooms, especially with two teenage daughters! We had a look around the resort, had something to eat in the on-site restaurant, and went to sleep.

minnie2000

Original Poster
Wednesday 16th July:

We woke up early and finished unpacking. We had a breakfast reservation at the Kona Café, one of our favourites, and then we had booked fast passes for the MK, so our plan was to park in the MK parking lot, take the tram to the TTC, and walk to the Polynesian.

IMG_0019.jpg

Unfortunately when we got there, we realised that the walkway through the longhouses was closed due to the construction work, so we had to walk the long way around and were slightly late for our reservation. There was no problem though, we were seated quickly, and had a great breakfast. We had two Big Kahunas (with chocolate chips in the pancakes for DD) and two Samoans, my favourite breakfast. We also had the best juice I've ever had, Lillikoi juice.

IMG_0031.jpg

IMG_0027.jpg

IMG_0024.jpg

After breakfast, we had to pick up our park tickets and buy magic bands, so we took the monorail to the TTC. We were too lazy to walk! As we got off the monorail it began to rain, and then pour. We are used to rain in the afternoons at disney, but this was about 11.00 am! We took the ferry to the MK, but got soaked. We bought ponchos, because I was wearing a white top, which did not improve when it got wet, so I had to cover up! We had fast passes for BTM, Splash and Buzz, so we headed for BTM. When we got off that, there was only a 10 minute wait for Splash, so we went on that and then went on again using our fast passes. We walked over to Fantasyland and went on Philharmagic, the Teacups,

IMG_0052.jpg

Carousel of Progress and Buzz Lightyear.

IMG_0066.jpg

IMG_0068.jpg

Somehow on Buzz I hit a high score early on, so I relaxed and took some photos of the girls! We went to a FP kiosk and got a FP for the HM, and headed over there.

IMG_0082.jpg

IMG_0093.jpg
On the way, we bought a funnel cake to share, which was delicious!

IMG_0103.jpg

We were all getting tired so we left the park, buying popcorn and ice cream for the girls first.

On the way back to the Vistana we stopped at Publix for some shopping, had a quick swim in the pool, and had a takeaway meal from Flagler's the on-site restaurant.

LisaBelle

Following along. Love that you surprised your daughters. My husband and I ate at Kona at 10:30 the same morning you were there! LOVED the Lillykoi juice. We had the Tonga Toast and pineapple macadamia nut pancakes. Sooooo delicious! Wish I had some right now! Looking forward to reading more about your trip.

minnie2000

Original Poster
LisaBelle, I can't believe we were there the same time! Perhaps we were on the next table!

Yes, ArielLover, we flew from Manchester in England. :D

minnie2000

Original Poster
Thursday, 17th July:

We got up early and arrived at Epcot at about 8.30.

When we got in we walked straight to TT and went on twice on the single rider line. We went on SE and then walked to the Land. The girls met the chipmunks on the way. We had some time before our fast pass, so we went to the living seas, where we went on the Nemo ride, and looked around the tanks. We went on Soarin' and then stopped in the café outside. Last year I tried a strawberry shortcake and loved it, so I had one of those, and the girls had a Brownie each.

We walked around the World Showcase. We went on the Gran Fiesta ride and Maelstrom and watched the film in China. We had lunch in the American Pavillion. We kept walking all the way around, and watched the acrobat in France.

We were all very hot and tired by the time we got to Canada, so we decided to head back to the pool. As we walked back, we spotted Club Cool - just what we needed. :)

I liked the pineapple fanta and the kiwi and mango drinks, both were delicious.

We persuaded one DD to try Beverly, but the other refused. :D

We left the park and went back to the resort to relax by the pool. DH went to Publix and picked up some fried chicken, which we ate in the room. We were all to tired to go out for a meal!

Photos will follow, I'm having trouble uploading them at the moment.

Last edited:

DisSplash

I love the surprise trip!! It looked like it worked beautifully for you too! We surprised out kids with a couple of days at the World after a Disney cruise this past January, and boy was it hard not to spill those beans! My DS (10yo) claims he suspected that we were going there when we drove out of Port Canaveral and completely by-passed Interstate 95 (our route home). I kept insisting to him that we were taking a "detour" due to some road construction, but the kid has a great sense of direction. Luckily he also has a good sense of discretion as he did not blab his suspicion to his sister until after we hit I-4 ... But surprising them was still so much fun --- and totally worth it when I saw their genuinely happy faces!!:joyfull:

minnie2000

Original Poster
It's so hard keeping a secret isn't it DisSplash? We nearly let it slip a few times, but when we asked them later they said that they honestly had no idea!

minnie2000

Original Poster
Can anyone help with my photos? When I upload them I get a message saying they are too big for the server. I just took them on my iPhone. Does anyone have a solution?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom