Just got back from a Wreck-It Ralph Screening

Magenta Panther

Just back from seeing it, and i really liked it. Can't add much to what everyone else has already said, but I will add my recommendation. And the opening short was cute and well done, too. And was it just me, or did King Candy remind you of the laughing uncle in Mary Poppins, the guy who was having the tea party on the ceiling?

It's not just you. :) King Candy was no doubt modeled after Ed Wynn, the old-time radio actor who was immortalized as Uncle Albert, who just loved to laugh. :D

joanna71985

Just back from seeing it, and i really liked it. Can't add much to what everyone else has already said, but I will add my recommendation. And the opening short was cute and well done, too. And was it just me, or did King Candy remind you of the laughing uncle in Mary Poppins, the guy who was having the tea party on the ceiling?

I felt the same way (that, and Mad Hatter).

Calvin Coolidge

Original Poster
And was it just me, or did King Candy remind you of the laughing uncle in Mary Poppins, the guy who was having the tea party on the ceiling?

As others have mentioned, King Candy's mannerisms were a deliberate homage to The Mad Hatter, as voiced by Ed Wynn, who also played Uncle Albert in Mary Poppins. It was really great, wasn't it? I'm glad everyone else seems to have liked it as much as I did.

ellie-badge

SPOILER ALERT>>>>>>>

I just wonder why Ralph could not just go over to the other game and visit at the end of the movie like they could throughout the rest of it. It just seemed like they only got to see each other looking out of their games at the end...that left me a little confused is all.

I'm sure Ralph eventually did, but if I recall he was still in the middle of being thrown off of the roof while looking over at Vanellope. He can't exactly leave in the middle of a game, after all!

Edit: Also, he and Vanellope (along w/ Felix and Calhoun) ventured through many other games during the end credits, so he probably just visits when the arcade's closed.

bucklepants

I saw an early showing of this, and really enjoyed it. The video game references and in-jokes were numerous and often quite clever; they really added another layer to the movie for longtime gamers, but I don't think they would detract from the action or story for non-gamers. I also loved the credits -- be sure to stay until the very, very end!

In short...

I'M GONNA REC(ommend) IT!

OH no!!!! I missed something. We stayed for most of the credits and then left when there didn't seem to be anything else. :( Is this with every single movie now?

disneypearl

Saw Wreck-It-Ralph today and loved it. I will be seeing it again soon but this time I will make sure to stop for some candy first. I wanted to go buy some while watching Sugar Rush but didn't want to miss any of the movie.

bucklepants

Went to see it with my husband and 5 yr DD. We all loved it! It was great fun for all of us. Disney has NOT lost its touch!!! At least not for us.

Calvin Coolidge

Original Poster
OH no!!!! I missed something. We stayed for most of the credits and then left when there didn't seem to be anything else. :( Is this with every single movie now?

I stayed until the VERY end of the credits. What he's referring two is about three seconds long, and it's some sort of reference that I didn't understand.

ellie-badge

I stayed until the VERY end of the credits. What he's referring two is about three seconds long, and it's some sort of reference that I didn't understand.

It was a Pac-Man reference. ;)

There's an infamous level in Pac-Man, level one-hundred I believe, that glitches the screen and makes it impossible to play. It's commonly referred to as the "kill screen" due to it being impossible to overcome. The reference at the end of the film paid homage to that, albeit with Wreck-It Ralph sprites instead of Pac-Man sprites.

pacman_split_screen_level_256.jpg

Kuhio

Yup, it was a Wreck-It Ralph version of the Pac-Man kill screen, complete with the Pac-Man version of Ralph running off with the cherries, as seen earlier in the film. Nothing really important, but one last little treat for the real old-school gamers in the audience. (Wikipedia actually has an entry on "kill screen," for those who are curious.)

As to the subject of a sequel (or prequel), I don't know the likelihood of getting one, but there are certainly a number of things they could still explore. One thing I was wondering about even before the movie came out was the identity of Fix-It Felix, Sr., and whether the the Fix-It Felix, Jr. game was meant to be a sequel in the way Donkey Kong, Jr. was a sequel to Donkey Kong. (If so, it suggests that Felix Sr. may have been the villain in his own game!) Although Felix Sr. didn't end up in the movie, the Buckner & Garcia song that plays over the credits does mention the fact that Felix Jr. got his magic hammer from his father -- a fact that I seem to recall hearing somewhere in the movie as well. So the seeds of at least one backstory/prequel are already there...

In any case, I'd also be happy if WDAS decided to produce a number of Wreck-It Ralph shorts in lieu of a follow-up feature film, the way Pixar has done with Toy Story and Cars/Mater, and Disney with Tangled Ever After.

Disneyfanman

We thought it was one of the most enjoyable movies of the year. My whole family left the theater with huge grins on our faces. Even after I had heard good things, Wreck it Ralph topped our highest expectations. It's that good, as long as you are even slightly familiar with video game lore. We particularly loved the relationship between Ralph and Vanellope. Natural and fun. I would give it the same sort of review as Tangled.......Not the most complex story or deepest character development I have ever seen, but clever and extremely entertaining. Go see it.

ellie-badge

When was the last time Disney made a Direct-to-DVD sequel/prequel, not counting the Tinkerbell films? If there was going to be another Wreck-It Ralph film, I'd rather it be a "true" movie (think of Rescuers Down Under and last year's Winnie the Pooh) rather than a blatantly obvious money maker.

Animaniac93-98

When was the last time Disney made a Direct-to-DVD sequel/prequel, not counting the Tinkerbell films?

Little Mermaid 3 in 2008 was the last released. After that all "cannon" related sequels were shut down, but they're still cranking out Tinkerbell (as you say) and Buddy films, along with that HSM spinoff.

ellie-badge

Oh God, not another Princess.

;)

Not gonna lie, she'd be my new favorite princess if she were added to the official line.

Little Mermaid 3 in 2008 was the last released. After that all "cannon" related sequels were shut down, but they're still cranking out Tinkerbell (as you say) and Buddy films, along with that HSM spinoff.

That's great, Disney sequels should be REAL, legitimate sequels, just like The Rescuers Down Under and Winnie the Pooh. I'm definitely on board if Disney decides to make a Wreck-It Ralph sequel (and they just might, Richard Moore [Director] said he'd do it in a heartbeat). I honestly wouldn't call the Direct-to-DVD films canon in the slightest, I watched Bambi II recently and boy did it have a lot of inconsistencies with the original film. :eek:

flynnibus

Premium Member
As others have mentioned, King Candy's mannerisms were a deliberate homage to The Mad Hatter, as voiced by Ed Wynn, who also played Uncle Albert in Mary Poppins. It was really great, wasn't it? I'm glad everyone else seems to have liked it as much as I did.

The Hatter? I immediately thought of The Toymaker from Babes in Toyland. Given the setting of Sugar Rush, and the Ed Wynn acting.. that's what I thought of.

I also assume the arcade attendant was supposed to be Walter Day (of the high score keeping Twin Galaxies)

I found the movie tear jerking at times.. and a great film. Its story is masked enough it doesn't feel like 'heres what coming...' all the time. The cameos are good.. the idea of the power strip is very cute. I was hoping for a bit more classic arcade twists.. but there was certainly enough to wet your whistle.

I still wonder how these films will last over time compared to other 'classics' - with my main concern with the use of contemporary pop in the soundtracks and some of the pop culture references (the Mentos, etc). But certainly worth the price of admission and left me willing to recommend the film (or see it again).. something the Tron did not :(

fractal

Just got back from seeing it with my 11 year old daughter. We both loved it. Vennelope almost steals the show - and I wasn't expecting the twist with King Candy, but enoyed that famous laugh!

Big thumbs up from both of us. :D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom