Just because they're out there...

amykissangel

Original Poster
I just wanted to write this to remind everyone (including myself, since the last time we were at WDW, the CMs were atrocious) that there ARE some great CMs out there, and if they're at all angry, it's because there are some horrible guests who give them a lot of crap.

It was during the end of October and pouring rain @ Epcot - Illuminations had barely finished when it started coming down. People were running and yelling, ponchos flapping, trying to get out the gates to the busses. A kind older gentleman (a CM) was ushering people out, still telling them to have a magical day, sorry about the rain, etc. He had to be at least 65.

All of a sudden a very rude man shoved people aside, ran over a woman's foot with his blue Disney stroller (2 kids inside) and headed out of the park. The CM kindly informed him he would need to leave the stroller inside the park. The man started off with some lovely expletives, yelling, "You've gotta be f'n kidding me" and "You are such an f'n a h*le," etc. The CM explained that there was no place to leave the strollers out there, and the bus stops were only a thirty second walk away. The man then grabbed his water bottle, squirted the CM in the face, told him he was an "old geezer" who would "die soon anyway", dumped his children out of the stroller (no I'm not exaggerating...it's all we talked about the whole plane ride home), and shoved the stroller sideways at the CM, knocking him down. :(

My dad and a few others helped the gentleman up before we got on the busses, but I always think of him every time we have a rude CM, and remember that even though there are some crappy CMs out there, a lot of them are fantastic...including this May's bus driver from the All Star...about 70 years old, told jokes and trivia all the way to the parks, on the way back had us singing Zip-a-dee-do-dah, and publicly apologized for some very rude people in a wheelchair party - needless to say, he put them in their place and made sure we had a great time!! :wave:

disneydaft

amykissangel said:
I just wanted to write this to remind everyone (including myself, since the last time we were at WDW, the CMs were atrocious) that there ARE some great CMs out there, and if they're at all angry, it's because there are some horrible guests who give them a lot of crap.

It was during the end of October and pouring rain @ Epcot - Illuminations had barely finished when it started coming down. People were running and yelling, ponchos flapping, trying to get out the gates to the busses. A kind older gentleman (a CM) was ushering people out, still telling them to have a magical day, sorry about the rain, etc. He had to be at least 65.

All of a sudden a very rude man shoved people aside, ran over a woman's foot with his blue Disney stroller (2 kids inside) and headed out of the park. The CM kindly informed him he would need to leave the stroller inside the park. The man started off with some lovely expletives, yelling, "You've gotta be f'n kidding me" and "You are such an f'n a h*le," etc. The CM explained that there was no place to leave the strollers out there, and the bus stops were only a thirty second walk away. The man then grabbed his water bottle, squirted the CM in the face, told him he was an "old geezer" who would "die soon anyway", dumped his children out of the stroller (no I'm not exaggerating...it's all we talked about the whole plane ride home), and shoved the stroller sideways at the CM, knocking him down. :(

My dad and a few others helped the gentleman up before we got on the busses, but I always think of him every time we have a rude CM, and remember that even though there are some crappy CMs out there, a lot of them are fantastic...including this May's bus driver from the All Star...about 70 years old, told jokes and trivia all the way to the parks, on the way back had us singing Zip-a-dee-do-dah, and publicly apologized for some very rude people in a wheelchair party - needless to say, he put them in their place and made sure we had a great time!! :wave:

I hope the CM got the "guest" charged with assualt and kicked off of Disney property.

It's the kids I feel sorry for. :(

olive10tails

Oh....my...gosh...what the h*ll is wrong with some people!!!! I hope that "guest" got a good dose of karma coming his way. It's such a shame--some people love their jobs and all it takes is one ***hole to ruin your day. I hope it didn't ruin that CM's day, though. I have met some awesome CM's on our trips and it has absolutely made our day. The majority of the ones I have met have been exceptional.

Ariellen

Your story about the older gentleman who was run down by a stroller absolutely disgusts me...that's terrible. (You said this happened last October? I think I worked that night; Wilma hit around late October and the sky opened up around RoE time and it poured a LOT that night. It was CRAZY! But that's no excuse for behavior like that...)

From the flipside, though...as a former :)cry: ) CM, while there will be terrible, awful situations like the one you described, there are a lot of great GUESTS out there, too! I loved, loved, loved my job (Towers Merchandise at Epcot), though I admit, I had days I'd rather not be at work. I definitely worked not to show that, and I think I was successful in that respect, but a talk with a fun/friendly/courteous/enthusiastic/etc. Guest would take those feelings away entirely and get me completely back into the "Disney spirit." It works both ways; Guests and CMs are all human. That said, a little pixie dust can go a long way.

I bet the jerk who hit that CM forgot that his last name was probably on the stroller. I would have taken the names of the people who helped me (for witnesses), then taken the man's last name card and found that jerk (if he stayed on grounds).

Then I would have not only sued him (people like that need to be taught) I would have waved as he and his family got the golden boot out of the hotel and the parks.

If anyone knows who that guy is, let me know, I'll go beat the crap out of him. (Just kidding)

I'd beat the hell out of him.

Johnny

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I think I`d have intervened - I can`t stand things like this, and it takes alot to make me angry.

That`s one of the social aspects about WDW - so many people visit you see all forms of life - Including the lower levels.

boudica

amykissangel said:
this May's bus driver from the All Star...about 70 years old, told jokes and trivia all the way to the parks, on the way back had us singing Zip-a-dee-do-dah,

I think I've been on that guy's bus in 2004. He was awesome!! We were leaving MK for the night and it was so fun.

I have never had a bad experience with a CM. One of the best was a young girl who was sweeping outside of the GMR in MGM. My son was afraid to go on it, and she talked to him for about five minutes until he wasn't afraid anymore. I was so impressed with her. That isn't a very glamourous job, but she still showed the Disney spirit.

As for that jerk, one of my favortie sayings come to mind, what goes around comes around, and I just hope I'm there to see it.

39 days!!

Angela

cherrynegra

That is a horrible story and I feel so for the poor CM. Incivility just seems to be getting worse and worse. AND he has kids so Lord knows how they're going to turn out. I would have definitely have intervened. What a jerk!!:mad:

jmvd20

marni1971 said:
I think I`d have intervened - I can`t stand things like this, and it takes alot to make me angry.

I have never seen anything that bad but I have intervened a few times in situations where guests were treating CM's very badly. I have a problem with stupid people and jerks. I am glad I was not there for this one as I would have definitely done something. Esp. considering I would have already been upset due to the pushing and shoving that happens all the time during rain. So what you get wet, go back to the hotel and change, no big deal IMO.

WDW FAN 4 LIFE

Did anyone at least call the police to report the Cast Member being abused, or was it not possible because no one followed this jerk after he had left Epoct.

WEDisney

That’s terrible. Although I am not a violent man by nature I think I would have to be restrained from taking this guy out. I am sure I would have intervened and if the mans anger turned toward me I am sure I would have to have bit my tongue rather then making it worse by hitting him in front of his kids. It’s just that if I saw that CM fall from this mans intended push of the stroller I would have to take action.

I very rarely come across a bad CM but one time sticks in my head. I was heading into EPCOT one day and I guess they had recently changed the turnstiles (way before the automated passes kind.) A shorter woman had trouble getting through and the turnstile kind of locked on her. Her husband got her out and as they walked away (mortified I’m sure) the CM working the turnstile turned to another and said, "Maybe next time she wont eat that 2nd piece of pie." I was so outraged that I confronted the CM and told him that was uncalled for. He gave me a snide remark and then finished by saying something like "move along."
It took so much restraint to not lash out at this person. Instead my first stop was, not Spaceship Earth as usual, Guest Relations where I immediately reported him. That night in my hotel a manager from EPCOT called me and asked me about the situation. She promised me that actions would be taken against this CM. I have no idea if anything was done but for the rest of my trip I never saw that CM anywhere. I would like to think he was let go because of his remarks and actions.

DisneyGrown-Up

amykissangel said:

I'm sure that there will be a place in Hell for the man who knocked the CM to the ground. Some people can really be jerks...I work in retail so I speak from experience. Well, you take the good and you take the bad. I hope the CM was able to get better.

Sincerely,

John "DisneyGrown-Up" Kilduff

amykissangel

Original Poster
This was actually quite a few years ago that this happened...I was probably 14 or 15 (I'm 23 now). The older CM was fine...a few guys near us (college kids I think) went after the guy. We helped up the CM, and he was so nice...he wasn't hurt and said, "Jerks will be jerks." I don't know if he reported them or not... I hope so. The CM was like, "I don't want you folks to get trampled (we had my little sister in a stroller)" and he promised us he would be okay. Still makes me sad when I think about it:brick:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom