Just an Intro

dreamxinxanime

Original Poster
Hello, *waves* I'm new to the board, so I figured I'd start with an introduction.

My name's Heather, I'm 18 and attend Lake Michigan College in South Haven, Michigan. I just accepted my offer to partake in the college program. :) My arrival date is January 7th, anyone with a similar date interested in a meet and greet? :D My role is merchandise, and I'm horrible with numbers, so this should be fun. :p

Anyway, I'm sure I'll be leaving quite a few posts and I can't wait to get to know everyone. :)

Feel free to contact me at any time...

Heather

(Heather9016@yahoo.com)

cm1988

Hi, Heather -

Welcome. I've never been in the college program, but did work with many wdwcp members a few years back... uh, 15 years ago. (time flies)

I did some cash handling at one point and had a nervous few days because returning change seemed really clumsy. But here's the secret...

Start with the "cents" amount of the sale...

say, 17.

Count pennies up to the next nickel (20)

Then take what's needed to reach
the next quarter (25)

From there, the rest is simple.

The natural pitfall is to get to the next nickel (20) then try to use dimes as soon as possible; wind up giving 3 pennies, 3 dimes and 2 quarters in the above example.

Just remember "next nickel; next quarter".

End of unsolicited lesson.

But anyway, enjoy your program!

cm1988

Oh, yeah. The other cash handling thing (just remembered)

Say the purchase amount w/tax is $10.71. The guest gives you $20.21. You'll punch the amount tendered into the register, and it will tell you need to return $9.50.

But you'll have more confidence if you do the mental subtraction, as well. In other words, you'll think "Okay, the 21 cents loose change reduces the 10.71 owed to 10.50. $20 minus 10.50 is 9.50. Check."

That little mental exercise will help you as you count back the change (which I think is still considered a best practice... maybe even required?). You'll say "You gave me 20.21... so... 10.71"... hand over the 2 quarters... "plus 50 makes 11.21"... then count the bills "12... 13... 14... 15 ... 20.21"

A lot of people seem unable to do the above; wind up just handing over the change as opposed to counting it out. It leaves both parties to the transaction feeling just a little uncertain.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom