Jungle Cruise Re-Imagining

Skipper Dan

I challenge any true Disney fan to read that without cringing.

Just throwing this out there. I tweeted him today, asking him to watch "Walt: Man Behind the Myth"... this is what he said:

18268595_10155996835475828_3620422909036240438_n.jpg

IMFearless

Just throwing this out for discussion: what is the likelihood of Disney removing Skippers from each boat entirely?

It has happened on Living with the Land. It would save a lot of cash. Everyone would hate it.

Sounds like it's something they would at least consider.

huwar18

I just find it a little funny that I think if The Rock weren't attached and we got wind of Jungle Cruise changing, many would object but because it's The Rock ... yay let's ruin a classic! I'm being a bit dramatic and sarcastic, they probably will do the bare minimum ... but that's just how I see it ... and if they do re-imagine it and it's great I'll be more than thrilled but I don't trust them.

I know a lot of people are excited because it is the Rock. However, I think that more of them line up with your last statement (including me). Personally, I feel that change is inevitable. It was just a matter of time before it got to the Jungle Cruise. I think people are just trying to be optimistic. However, Disney does not have a good track record of re-imagining classic rides (IMO).

TheGhostWithTheMost

There is a spiel button installed on every boat. It doesn't do anything if you push it. But it was put in when they were going to re-brand the attraction as George of the Jungle Cruise. The Skippers were going to be interacting with the Narrator from the movie and the Narrator was a pre-recorded track that was going to be activated by that button. Other things where like... Trader Sam getting replaced by the Gorilla. Jane being in a cage in the African Veldt. Backlash from Tiki-Room: Under New Managment stopped this from happening (thankfully). But I digress, the equipment for a pre-recorded spiel is on every boat and it's ready to go and has been since the boats lost their candy-cane tops. Look for a little red and slightly translucent button on the dash next time you're on the ride.

Bairstow

Just throwing this out for discussion: what is the likelihood of Disney removing Skippers from each boat entirely?

It has happened on Living with the Land. It would save a lot of cash. Everyone would hate it.

Sounds like it's something they would at least consider.

I would say it would be extremely unlikely.
The skippers on the cruises are something of an institution, with recognition outside of theme park nerds.
The quality of their comedic delivery varies wildly, but when it works it works very well and makes a lasting impression on guests.
This compared to Living with the Land, where the purpose of the hosts was largely to deliver a rote lecture about the sights on the tour. Their main function was probably to discourage guests from leaving their seats while the boat was in motion.

Last edited:

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I will play devil's advocate here.

We assume Disney is changing the JC for the movie and incorporating the Rock. What if....the ride was getting updated anyway, and Disney is using the Rock to advertise and incorporating those changes into the movie?

We always want to assume the worst here for some reason, granted SOME of the moves deserve it. But I for one am intrigued with the possibilities this could bring. Rock has done many comedies and done well in them and has the right ability to play it.

I for one would LOVE to see all the items IN JC working for a change, so if this is pushing it...more power to it.

The key is will Disney ALLOW the Rock to do it the Rocks way or will it be a suits in burbank process

Bocabear

If they were to revamp the Jungle Cruise, that would gel with the rumor of adding a mountain attraction...as the new attraction would impose on the Jungle Cruise footprint...Probaly like Indy does to the Disneyland version. Honestly if this meant we were getting dome new effects and show scenes in the Jungle Cruise, then I am all in!

Casper Gutman

If they were to revamp the Jungle Cruise, that would gel with the rumor of adding a mountain attraction...as the new attraction would impose on the Jungle Cruise footprint...Probaly like Indy does to the Disneyland version. Honestly if this meant we were getting dome new effects and show scenes in the Jungle Cruise, then I am all in!

Where would the theoretical Adventureland Mountain go? Glancing at a map, I always assumed it would fit between Pirates and Splash (forming a real mountain range along that side of the park) - is that incorrect?

Kman101

I'm only in if I know details and see the movie. I'm not going to blindly say "YAY CHANGE THE JUNGLE CRUISE!!" ... and yeah, I'm going to keep beating this dead horse

Bocabear

What I had heard was between Pirates and Jungle Cruise...which would facilitate a re-working of the river and train...the train going though the volcano would be pretty cool though, God knows they need more scenery elements along the train route...and there has never been anything to see along the track there except the service road.

Bairstow

Where would the theoretical Adventureland Mountain go? Glancing at a map, I always assumed it would fit between Pirates and Splash (forming a real mountain range along that side of the park) - is that incorrect?

It would be a tight squeeze if they did. Permitting for fire lanes and the backstage portion of the parade route there's only about 150 usable feet between the pirates and splash show buildings. That's enough space for Dueling Dumbos, but probably nothing larger.

There's a possible expansion pad directly behind Pirates, but just like at Disneyland it would take a very long covered queue to get guests there and back, just like at Indiana Jones. This would mean views of the volcano would be much more prominent from the Grand Floridian and Polynesian than from inside the park.

Last edited:

Casper Gutman

It would be a tight squeeze if they did. Permitting for fire lanes and the backstage portion of the parade route there's only about 150 usable feet between the pirates and splash show buildings. That's enough space for Dueling Dumbos, but probably nothing larger.

There's a possible expansion pad directly behind Pirates, but just like at Disneyland it would take a very long covered queue to get guests there and back, just like at Indiana Jones. This would mean views of the volcano would be much more prominent from the Grand Floridian and Polynesian than from inside the park.

Sorry to continue with the armchair imagineering - but looking on Google maps, couldn't the parade route be slightly changed (straightened, really) to open up a big chunk of land right besides Pirates (you'd have to move some of the backstage facilities)?

Bocabear

Sorry to continue with the armchair imagineering - but looking on Google maps, couldn't the parade route be slightly changed (straightened, really) to open up a big chunk of land right besides Pirates (you'd have to move some of the backstage facilities)?
Technically they might be able to do this, but it would put the volcano right next to Splash Mountain...which would be two drastically different mountains way too close...Pluse after passing the Enchanted Tiki Room, you transition from a more exotic island (polynesian) style adventureland into a Caribbean, Spanish style Adventureland...which would also not be a great fit...

rushtest4echo

For now that's true. This time next year that permitting and fire lane stuff will be different, as will the backstage routing of the parade. Splash Mountain isn't closing this summer for repairs or a rehab. It's closing to facilitate all of the stuff going on behind it.

There's a substation, parade hangar and reservoir that are being modified for future stuff- though I don't really know that that future stuff entails other than it being a significant project.

pilka214

I have friends who are skippers, and one of their largest gripes is how foreign audiences don't always understand the deadpan/ sarcastic humor which is the mainstay on the modern jungle cruise... Adding a movie tie in, something akin to Pirates of the Caribbean adding jack sparrow, would appeal a great deal more to the massive WDW audience who doesn't speak English. Of course this entirely hinges on the movie being successful, and honestly who doesn't love Dwayne?

tribbleorlfl

It's doubtful the Jungle Cruise film is going to take place in each of the rivers/continents depicted in the ride, so I wonder if one of the updates to the ride would involve making it a unified, generic jungle theme.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Well, before anyone gets too up-in-arms about this, remember that the movie doesn't even have a director yet. Even with The Rock claiming changes will be forthcoming, I think this is a lot of putting the carriage before the horse (or the boat before the skipper, in this case). It fits, however, with the POTC precedent of the ride inspiring a movie, and then the ride being changed to reflect the movie, which I am most definitely NOT a fan of. I personally preferred Pirates before the Depp changes, as it now just seems like a commercial for the movies. :(

Since this reeks of "Chappie merchandising synergy", the question I have is: Is Bob Chapek simply another Iger-in-the-making, one who rarely sets foot in a park unless there's a PR event, or has he actually walked around the parks (I'd hope without an entourage, but we all know that's not realistic...)? As much as he is maligned for his second decade as Disney CEO, and rightfully so in many cases, at least Michael Eisner cared about the theme parks and visited them.

Kman101

And Eisner STILL visits them. Probably not nearly as often of course but wasn't he there not too long ago? A year or two ago maybe?

You never see reports of either Bob in the parks. All the head honchos keep themselves hidden. When is Cockerell(sp?) in the Magic Kingdom? Where's Phil walking around DHS?

They're all terrible.

I don't necessarily care like some that Iger isn't in the parks regularly. Yes, he should be, but he runs the entire company (don't take that as me excusing Iger's lack of care). Eisner was different and WDW needed growth. But they should have someone in charge who cares about the biggest ATM they have. Iger barely knew DHS' name ... does he even know what "an Epcot" is?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom